• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

I'll probably play a bunch this weekend to work on clearing Inferno. If anyone wants to hang out and join, feel free to add me (tag is in the OP list somewhere, ha).

Also, kennah, I still have your mega sword. I've missed you if you've been on to return that beast. :)

Haven't been on much, but I guess I'll try for the new gear when 1.0.7 hits :)

I'm fucking loving the reflect dmg nerf on ptr. My WD was stuck at mp4 on live because of reflect dmg being too much, now on mp8 on ptr and it doesn't even do shit to me.

I tend to agree. The boost in the exp will definitely help with grinding those paragon levels.

It's just too close for me to put more time into 1.0.6 right now. I played for about an hour the other day and did a quick run, but the whole time I was thinking, "man in a couple weeks the exp will be going up so much faster"

Ryan_

Anyone wanna do an uberrun with me (CM wiz) and my DH friend at around 9 ST Euro servers?

We both have machines and are willing to try mp10. MP8 would also be good.

Add me on Ryan#1961

Fularu

Banned
That gaming side thread is something. You can tell most people didn't play beyond 1.01 or at all yet they still have an opinion as to why this game is "the worst Arpg evar!!!!!"

Ploid 3.0

I played after each patch, and was excited for 1.05. I like the changes to allow the WD pets to survive in inferno but in the end I was still just farming act 3 and farming gear to buy gear. After all of the runs I did I was still quite unlucky on drops, I make most of my gild from gold drops (I have a huge pickup radius) and selling worthless gear (I don't salvage). I did another run today and just moved it to MP 0 after reading on the forums that it is just better to do it that way and speed through things. NPCed and left the rares on the ground. I felt I had enough MF before I went to MP0 (I only tried the MP0 thing today, I usually do MP5) and just nuke things with acid.

My WD
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Ploid-1179/hero/820231

Wonder if they'll be bothered about Path of Exile's release.

I heard some awesome things about Necro from D2. Before D3 launched I got hyped for WD by playing a necro type build of Witch in the open beta PoE had right before D3 launched. When PoE goes open beta again I'm going to go for the pet thing again. It was interesting, and seeing how creative the builds are for that game I'll try to customize the pets to my liking. Nothing tops Beastmaster from FFXI for me yet.

Fularu

Banned
Ploid that's how those games work.

D2 was Ball/Meph runs over and over and over.

This is why the best items can drop anywhere but there will always be an optimal route, but at least they are trying to adress it in a future patch (probably 1.08).

If they can make Act I close to Act III, I'll be extremely happy!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
That gaming side thread is something. You can tell most people didn't play beyond 1.01 or at all yet they still have an opinion as to why this game is "the worst Arpg evar!!!!!"

Eh, I can understand the sentiment. I feel alot of whats in that thread too. While I still play D3 every now and then, it certainly is not the game I was hoping for. I miss much of what Diablo II had in it, and by comparison D3 seems kind of shallow and lacking. I still enjoy playing it because the gameplay is great and the interface is so much better, but the loot and class / skill variations are just mediocre for me.

Many people are still waiting for their modern Diablo II, honestly I am too. Maybe PoE is it, I don't know yet. Maybe D3 will be it eventually, who can tell. But D2 hasn't been dethroned yet, and that is why we have a thread like that on the forums.

Ploid 3.0

Oh I like fighting particular mobs over and over hoping for that one drop they have. In D3 every mob drops anything so you have too big of a drop pool. If there was a witch doctor mojo of awesomeness that dropped only from Diablo in inferno I'd live there and have more hope that it would drop, but I get every legendary but one that I could use even though I have all but monk at 60 (though I'd only bother to play WD at the moment. I stripped the other classes pretty much).

In FFXI (MMORPG) I did that all the time. We knew what drops we could expect so we were at least motivated to continue until we got the drop we needed. Square Enix drop rates in FFXI are brutal. We could do 3 hour fights that would yield a worthless fire crystal only and that was ok.

Ploid 3.0

Gah crafting, hope it turns out good though. I can see it requiring a lot of money, a lot of different items, and such. I'll look forward to the WD crafted boss item. It's gotta be good right? Mine will have dex, thorns, and lightning resist.

neoism

Ploid that's how those games work.

D2 was Ball/Meph runs over and over and over.

This is why the best items can drop anywhere but there will always be an optimal route, but at least they are trying to adress it in a future patch (probably 1.08).

If they can make Act I close to Act III, I'll be extremely happy!

we need dungeon scrolls even though I like act 1 I'm just as sick of it as act 3 over and over.... have them be random locations or even new ones, with 3 to 5 levels each...full of mobs and champs...

Ploid 3.0

I got burned trying to invest in crafting early in the game as I leveled up. So much stats that random, I lost so much money lol.

Sothpaw

They just fail to see the potential greatness (and current very solid state) of D3. I really don't care what anyone says, the D3 skill/rune system is the greatest thing ever in this genre. Rolling a new char every time I wanted to use a different skill in D2 was garbage to the point that I don't consider D2 the best game of the genre.

Also, D3's gameplay is top notch and simply the best the genre has to offer.

I personally would love the following:

- make Act II, III & IV just as rewarding as Act III. Increase the spawn rate or whatever needs to be done.

- make an endless dungeon or add scrolls for random dungeons with random monsters/bosses.

- expansions, but these are a guarantee because D3 printed money for blizzard.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592242994?page=106#2104

Rob Pardo said:
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

joker_andherewego.gif

While I'm posting here, I'd like to make public thanks to Turnbuckle for his overwhelming generosity.

I'd also like to put out a warning and preemptive apology to some folks here that I may have to delete some contacts of players who have been absent for 30 days or more. My friends list has 96 names out of 100 maximum, so I need to purge on some kind of basis as I already have had to do a few times now. I'm not deleting contacts on the basis of any sort of personal affront or insult.

If you haven't logged in a while, please do so very quickly if you intend to stay around for 107.

turnbuckle

Perhaps he truly chose to pursue a different project.

I really think that's the case. With all the harassment he's been getting and the weird behavior like shutting down his twitter account for a few days I think it's best for him, the community, and the game for him to move onto another project. I think D3 is a hell of a game that made some pretty significant changes to the formula - some great, some awful. As can be seen in that other thread, there's no getting past what he said about Brevik and no matter what he decisions he makes towards the game there'll always be that tarnish. People just can't let some shit go - not that they necessarily should, but the "fuck that loser" thing has been played to death.

He does seem to be his own worst enemy though. Hyping up stuff, giving announcements of future announcements then backpedaling on said announcement, the Brevik fiasco etc. I do think whatever game he works on will be better because of his input, though I welcome a different person at the table for the future of D3. If for anything there'll probably be an inclination from the dev team to update the game sooner or more significantly to give the appearance that things are under control - and they probably are but perception is everything. The perception now is that things will get better, so it's imperative that they do if Blizzard has any hope of generating broad excitement for the xpac.

Maybe they're doing it to revitalize some lost confidence in the franchise before any expansion. I personally love the game, but a lot of haters seem to focus their emotions at Jay. Either way I'm excited to see where the game goes moving forward.

Mengy

interesting. i didnt figure they'd go out to bat for him in that way. but at the same time if they're so confident in him why did they think they should pull him off the project?

Jay Wilson isn't a bad game lead designer, he just did a bad job with D3. And honestly, I don't think a lot of the mistakes of D3 are entirely his fault, as Rob points out in his post. Jay was just doing what he was told to do, and he did execute that strategy fairly well. The problem is that the gameplan sucked ass, and now the D3 community blames Jay for it all.

So yeah, I can understand Rob going to bat for him, because Rob probably knows better than any of us who really is to blame for D3. And most of the blame more than likely isn't directly Jay's fault.

In the end, people are just very upset because Diablo III is a well done mediocre game, and not the usual ground breaking awesome genre defining game quality that people have come to expect from Blizzard.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Jay Wilson isn't a bad game lead designer, he just did a bad job with D3. And honestly, I don't think a lot of the mistakes of D3 are entirely his fault, as Rob points out in his post. Jay was just doing what he was told to do, and he did execute that strategy fairly well. The problem is that the gameplan sucked ass, and now the D3 community blames Jay for it all.

yeah, i would never say that he was a bad game designer. you dont head up one of blizzard's top game franchises by being terrible at your job. i still play the game, after all. im fairly new to the genre, so i dont know what i would personally want to add to the game, and most of the game design decisions make sense to me, even if they provide for less complexity than people might have hoped for.

Fularu

Banned
In what universe is D3 mediocre?

Definition of MEDIOCRE
: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance : ordinary, so-so

Edit : You can say it didn't live up to your (or anyone's, really) expectations, you had issues with parts of the game, it wasn't for you or that you didn't like it. But mediocre? I realise GAF works in hyperbole (either the game is the best thing ever or it's the worst pile of shit sold to consumers) but stil...

j-wood

Finally got my first new legendary GAF...is this a good roll?

IXQbqb4.jpg

Ingeniero

I will play some this weekend.
Can anyone help me get the infernal machines? Or just farm act 3 and 4?
My ID is MarKoNiO #1876 North America

Sothpaw

In the end, people are just very upset because Diablo III is a well done mediocre game, and not the usual ground breaking awesome genre defining game quality that people have come to expect from Blizzard.

Blizzard hasn't made a ground breaking game in over a decade. What they do is make the most polished and best playing games of the genre.

Mengy

Blizzard hasn't made a ground breaking game in over a decade. What they do is make the most polished and best playing games of the genre.

Yeah, kind of true. I love Starcraft 2 and it is a fantastic game that was well done, but I guess it wasn't ground breaking.

In what universe is D3 mediocre?

Definition of MEDIOCRE
: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance : ordinary, so-so

Edit : You can say it didn't live up to your (or anyone's, really) expectations, you had issues with parts of the game, it wasn't for you or that you didn't like it. But mediocre? I realise GAF works in hyperbole (either the game is the best thing ever or it's the worst pile of shit sold to consumers) but stil...

Diablo III has a lot of polish and is a solid game, it's just not a well designed or thought out game. The art style choice, while well done, was the wrong direction for the franchise. The multiplayer support, while servicable, is lacking. In many ways D2's online interface was better. The character building, while good, is such a drastic difference from D2, not to mention the fact that it's very simple and hand holding in it's forced leveling path. Everyone's character has the ability to be exactly the same at the drop of a hat, there isn't any true diversity, and there isn't any permanence or consequence to choices. The game is so idiot friendly and so dumbed down that it loses any real appeal over the long term. The loot and item system is boring, lacking, and just not interesting. D2 shits all over D3's loot in spades that it's embarrassing. And the AH and RMAH make the inadequacy of the loot system even worse. In fact, the reality that a player can simply buy their way to the best loot in the game is one of the largest problems of D3. It makes item hunting fairly pointless, and turns the game into just a gold grinding game in order to buy things in a shopping window.

Any number of design choices could have been made to change all of this, but they weren't. And thus, Diablo III is solid in execution but yes mediocre in design.

Ingeniero

Well I got lucky, went solo to act one in monter level 2, got 5 stacks and killed the keywarden, it was hard but I got the key! lol I know I had like 20% chance but got lucky.
Feels good.

larvi

It appears to me that 1.07 is going to make itemization even worse. Take Calamity for example, it only rolls one random affix but currently there is a market for high end versions that roll either a socket, extra damage, dex, vit, life steal, chance to freeze or max discipline, ect for that affix. After 1.07 comes out it looks like anything w/o a socket will be close to worthless when you can take a 1200ish dps calamity and turn it into this with a marquis gem:

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/606/screenshot077q.jpg

To me these gems and the other crafting features look like a quick fix to try and pull some $$$ out economy with no real thought on how it will impact stuff in the future (I guess they take their lead from Washington). The new crafting armors will also kill the market for a lot of yellow and even legendary items that currently sell now.

Cipherr

It appears to me that 1.07 is going to make itemization even worse. Take Calamity for example, it only rolls one random affix but currently there is a market for high end versions that roll either a socket, extra damage, dex, vit, life steal, chance to freeze or max discipline, ect for that affix. After 1.07 comes out it looks like anything w/o a socket will be close to worthless when you can take a 1200ish dps calamity and turn it into this with a marquis gem:

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/606/screenshot077q.jpg

To me these gems and the other crafting features look like a quick fix to try and pull some $$$ out economy with no real thought on how it will impact stuff in the future (I guess they take their lead from Washington). The new crafting armors will also kill the market for a lot of yellow and even legendary items that currently sell now.

Sweet jesus at 1900 damage calamity, goddamn! I ain't even mad, especially if duel wielding gets a massive boost from the red gems. Wonder how it stacks up versus the crit damage gems. And wonder if my dual socketed crossbow will benefit.

larvi

Sweet jesus at 1900 damage calamity, goddamn! I ain't even mad, especially if duel wielding gets a massive boost from the red gems. Wonder how it stacks up versus the crit damage gems. And wonder if my dual socketed crossbow will benefit.

When I bought my current Calamity (1376 dps no socket) it was more dps than a 1170 dps sockted with a 100% gem so I went with the no socketed version (and dropped a a majority of my available gold on it) so I can't see green gems stacking up at all vs the red ones if they leave it as is.
As for other bows and weapons benefiting from this, what I understand from reading various threads is black damage weapons with high +min damage rolls benefit the most. So manticores won't benefit as much. It sounds like a may be a bug in blizzards damage calcs and there is talk that if they fix the bug they will nerf my non socketed calamity even more (I'll lose over 100dps). So I'm a bit miffed about it.

Edit - here's the thread on the forums discussing the bug:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593742992

Jupiter

First Set Piece drop. Is it worth anything? searched on AH and found similar ones for 88 mil.
Seems high, but i'm hoping, since i've never had more than 1.3 mil gold

Screenshot001_zpse01ac259.jpg
[/IMG]

I need some help on what to improve on my barbarian. Ignore the Hellfire ring, I'm just using it when I'm farming MP0, but I need input on what other pieces I should upgrade and tips on what to upgrade to. For bracers, I've been comparing mine to Lacuni's, but unless I spend a lot of money on them they make me lose too much EHP for too little damage improvement.

Here's a link to my profile: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/teowind-1408/hero/1818831

Also feel free to add me if you want to play and do Infernal machines/whatever (still need a good ring). Battletag: teowind#1408

And by the way, is there any reliable, cheaper place to buy gold except for RMAH?

First Set Piece drop. Is it worth anything? searched on AH and found similar ones for 88 mil.

They be crazy good.

RivalCore

Screenshot001_zpse01ac259.jpg

You'll get a couple of million (maybe 4-5) because of a decent dex roll and the 9% AS. Not shabby at all.

Tarazet

Started up a Hardcore Monk to go alongside my normal one. I haven't leveled a character to 60 since 1.0, so is there a good hardcore leveling/build guide someone can recommend?

So far, I've been disenchanting almost all my magic gear drops and selling the mats, then buying better stuff on the AH. It seems like the economy is not so stupid on the HC side without the real money auction house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom