• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

Can you detail the dupe? Not allowed here? I have no interest in doing this, just wondering what the hell happened exactly. Also opiate I can't believe you are still playing!!! You have more patience than I.

It's already gone, so there's no harm.

There was a buffer overrun on the RMAH. In short, if you put up in excess of 1.7B gold to sell for money, then canceled that auction, the money came back 2x the original amount.

Put up 2B gold to sell on RMAH, cancel, now have 4B gold. Put up 4B gold, come back with 8B. Put up 8B, come back with 16B. Continue repeating until satisfied. You could literally double your money in about 10 seconds, over and over.

Fularu

Banned
RMAH complicates it a bit, will take awhile. People were moving money with gems on it.

Unless that changed, RMAH transactions take a few hours to go through (as in, get verified), but then again, that was when the system launched and I never touched it again since then

I'm not saying people will be happy, but as far as rolling back the transactions (especially the bogus 2b items beeing bought to "spread the love"), it's prety easy, just long and tedious.

We had a few rollbacks like that at work (but "worse", people were graduating when they shouldn't nationwide ;p)

Riggs

Banned
It's already gone, so there's no harm.

There was a buffer overrun on the RMAH. In short, if you put up in excess of 1.7B gold to sell for money, then canceled that auction, the money came back 2x the original amount.

Put up 2B gold to sell on RMAH, cancel, now have 4B gold. Put up 4B gold, come back with 8B. Put up 8B, come back with 16B. Continue repeating until satisfied. You could literally double your money in about 10 seconds, over and over.

Holy shit .....

Think they will rollback? I am going with No.

Holy shit .....

Think they will rollback? I am going with No.

They haven't brought the game servers down yet. So it would be a huge dick move to do a full rollback at this point.

Unless they can do an AH rollback with the game still running. Has something like this happened before? I can't remember.

Opiate

I think the time efficient way would be to look at any player who had a sudden influx of, let's say, 10B gold in the last 24 hours. That's easy to do.

Look at their accounts. If they duped (Which is easy to tell, since they have AH logs), ban them. Roll back their transactions.

That's probably 2k-3k accounts, total. There just can't be that many people who were 1) home for the exploit, and 2) had 2B to actually take advantage of it. That seems like the most efficient, feasible way to handle the problem, to me.

Bans are rolling in. InigoMontoya down: http://www.twitch.tv/d3_inigomontoya (for real this time)

Paypal reversals are happening. Looks like they aren't doing a server-wide rollback and are handling case-by-case.

Edit: beaten

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my account, prepare to die.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
If you're doing any act 1 runs, make sure you're on a quest stage where you can hit Festering Woods... you can really burn a lot of potential exp by taking a long time building up NV in other areas.

Cipherr

If you're doing any act 1 runs, make sure you're on a quest stage where you can hit Festering Woods... you can really burn a lot of potential exp by taking a long time building up NV in other areas.

What do you mean exactly? Get 5 stacks before hitting Festering Woods? Or to start your run in festering woods building your stacks?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yes, you hit festering woods first to get stacks faster. Usually you get 4-5 there and can get the last in Leoric's Manor.

If you just do a full act clear, the Weeping Hollow has few elites but tons of mobs, so it's one that's good to come back to after getting your stacks.

Opiate

Just for reference, the guy who made 371 Trillion in duped money could -- if left unbanned -- sell that gold for $9,275,000 at .25 cents per 10 million.

Cipherr

Holy shit, that Inigo guy is playing the VOD during the duping.

He got like 60B and then went to the AH while streaming buying up items the people in his chat listed for 2 billion a pop. He bought like 40 freaking auctions lol. Thats a lot of money out to his viewers unless they roll back every transaction he made.

Alot of those people with that 2b auction sold probably then had enough to go and do the dupe themselves. He deserved to get banned man, he went wild passing that money out.

Vodh

There's a guy on Reddit who has rolled a pretty bitchin' amulet:

Imgur.

The problem is, he did that when the gold duping thing was on, wonder if they roll it back from him...

neoism

There's a guy on Reddit who has rolled a pretty bitchin' amulet:

Imgur.

The problem is, he did that when the gold duping thing was on, wonder if they roll it back from him...

posted about that a few posts ago... A blue on bnet congratulated him on it... so I doubt it.. I bet it will just be a AH rollback if there is one but the longer the servers are up the less likely it will happen at all.. still wish they would say its ok to play or not... don't think even Blizz nows if they will right now or not.

It's a question I had considered as well. In theory, there could be legal repercussions to Diablo 3 theft/hacking.

here in the US he could probably be tagged with the exceeding authorized use part of the DMCA. it's a horrible little catch-all.

also, if left unchecked all the duping would cause hyper-inflation and gold would be more or less completely worthless.

Insaniac

Welp, had 11 legendaries drop for me so far.

Just in one 4 player game between all of us we had around 15 legendaries drop in an act1 run

Shifty76

hmm it's weird I can't change item label from "push to show" to anything else. Anyone else has this problem? Mac version.

Yeah, same here - sucks!

Also, I REALLY hope they don't roll back....just found Leoric's Signet (only 23% but still) on my HC WD. Plus, sold all my gems for something like 300m - first time I've ever had more than about 50m to my name.

Oh, and Fields of Misery now reminds me of the old cow runs in D2 - mobs EVERYWHERE. Backlash is even more fun than normal now :)

Cipherr

Did you guys see the clusters of mobs in field of misery? LOL. The Highlands is packed too, but Field of Misery is freaking insane.

Edit:
Oh, and Fields of Misery now reminds me of the old cow runs in D2 - mobs EVERYWHERE. Backlash is even more fun than normal now :)

Ahaha did you edit that in? I was just gonna ask you if you noticed how packed that zone is. Insane. Sooooooo much better.

eek5

MP10 ubers are so fuckin fast now. I know valk and his friend have insane DPS but we killed ubers 2.5 min a piece and were able to kill ghom+blademaster or whateever simultaneously with 2x EP twice. Makes getting organs a bit less tedious I guess.

HenryHSH

Did you guys see the clusters of mobs in field of misery? LOL. The Highlands is packed too, but Field of Misery is freaking insane.

Edit:

Ahaha did you edit that in? I was just gonna ask you if you noticed how packed that zone is. Insane. Sooooooo much better.

Festering for Packs, Fields and then Weeping Hollow for tasty xp.

inky

Yep, I just had to take a screenshot because it surprised me how much of a clustefuck it became.

screenshot007wgu1l.jpg

Dem FPS!

neoism

10:35 p.m. PDT: To assist our teams with their review process, we have disabled all gold trades in the Americas region until further notice. Players can still trade items, but trades that involve any sum of gold currency cannot be completed. "
lol

neoism

A shit ton of people are so getting banned over this

Hope they found it worthwhile to dupe "for the luls"

I agree I didn't do nuffin wrong just sold some gems, but yeah that one streamer deserved his banning... I think they should rollback to right as the patch hit I only played like 2 hours found 2 shitty legs, but otherwise made like 300mil from RSG but I didn't even know about the dupe glitch til later..

Fularu

Banned
I agree I didn't do nuffin wrong just sold some gems, but yeah that one streamer deserved his banning... I think they should rollback to right as the patch hit I only played like 2 hours found 2 shitty legs, but otherwise made like 300mil from RSG but I didn't even know about the dupe glitch til later..

A full rollback can still happen, they haven't decided yet but judging how those idiots injectoed a lot of money into the economy by buying lots of items... yeah a rollback will probably be in order.

The sooner the better... the last massive rollback Blizz had to do took two weeks and pissed off a lot of people (mostly HC players)

lol @ all the depressed streams on Twitch.

A full rollback can still happen, they haven't decided yet but judging how those idiots injectoed a lot of money into the economy by buying lots of items... yeah a rollback will probably be in order.

The sooner the better... the last massive rollback Blizz had to do took two weeks and pissed off a lot of people (mostly HC players)

I don't know what they can do that will be fair and satisfactory at this point. I do know that all those who decided to cheat ought to be perma'd. They can eat a dick. If they were stupid enough to do something like that and expect no repercussions...well, maybe this will raise their IQ a few points.

Vicros

A rollback is a must right now... ASAP

I would hate for someone not involved in any of this duping business to lose a great drop or the perfect craft, but I think this is the only way to be sure.

The frustrating thing about this mess is that this one is all on Blizzard. This isn't some complicated inventory duping method or rare case that would be hard to test for. It's just putting a thing up for sale on their auction house and pressing cancel.

Did they really never try putting up a large quantity of gold on the AH? Did this not occur in their test environment? It seems like a thing that should not have happened.

Vicros

So the EU auction house still has gold listed for .25 per million, instead of .25 per 10 million.

I assume they'll change it to the new value once they are confident they've fixed the problem the US had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom