• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

Yeah EP is rad. It's the only skill we have that scales damgae with mob difficulty. It's pretty hilarious watcing 20 monsters fly into the air.

30 million sohould get you around a 900-1000 DPS / 50+ CD / SOC / 2.7+ LS weapon. Get dual LS weapons if you can.

You have to be more aware of your surrounding while not running serenity, but losing the saftey button opens up better playstyles. I dropped it well before I was where I"m at.

Any particular reason you don't run with a WKL, EP I'm guessing?

Doing some math right now, sub 30 mil the best WKL I can get with LS and a socket (since it only has two random rolls) is actually only about 12 mil; anything between 15-30 mil is completely insignficant. On paper it's a huge DPS drop since the DPS on these only shows at about 780 (versus my current 1h of just over 1k) and it shows me dropping on paper from 150k to 132k DPS, but the hidden DPS actually takes me back up to about 145k. Losing 5k eDPS to get +3% LS isn't terrible, but is the WKL not worth it for EP? I would think it'd still be worth it for the cyclones damage if nothing else?

Edit: This is my main and offhand (respectively) currently; I don't mind losing some DPS to get LS on both weapons, but I'm getting conflicting advice both here and elsewhere on whether or not I should get a WKL or not.

InZgKYz.jpg
eYZOkfP.jpg

VALKYRAY

Banned
Last night, an EF dropped. I almost sold it UNID on D2JSP, but decided to open it.

1271 DPS
Open Socket
66 CD
165 Dex
.25 AS

Billions, easily. Okay then. I hadn't exactly planned to roll with EF, but a weapon like that is hard to pass up.
Would you like to sell it? With it I will hit 300k unbuffed dps

Save your money. Don't spend anything on crafting. Try and not use the AH and make it though hell and into inferno at level 60. Once you're there, hit us back up. There's a lot of cool people here who have spare gear and are more than willing to help once in inferno.

Acts 1-4 is really all there is. INcreasing difficulty and bettering ones gear is sort of the point. Once you reach inferno, there's some side missions such as Uber Bosses that help break up the pace. Farming with multiple people is a lot of fun too.

Cheers. I do enjoy the grind, I suppose after running through with two classes to nightmare I was just finding myself beginning to struggle a little bit on act 4 with my monk and thought to myself "hmm, maybe I actually need to strategise the gear I'm getting".

I guess the real gold dropping and focus on gear doesn't really hit in until 60/Inferno, so maybe I should just sit back and focus on maxing my characters out then have a re-think.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers. I do enjoy the grind, I suppose after running through with two classes to nightmare I was just finding myself beginning to struggle a little bit on act 4 with my monk and thought to myself "hmm, maybe I actually need to strategise the gear I'm getting".

I guess the real gold dropping and focus on gear doesn't really hit in until 60/Inferno, so maybe I should just sit back and focus on maxing my characters out then have a re-think.

Thanks for the advice!

You should be able to find drops ingame to get you to inferno. If you want to use the AH you can, but it becomes more necessary later. It's just nice to play without worrying about gold.

What build are you running? Link your account.

Any particular reason you don't run with a WKL, EP I'm guessing?

Doing some math right now, sub 30 mil the best WKL I can get with LS and a socket (since it only has two random rolls) is actually only about 12 mil; anything between 15-30 mil is completely insignficant. On paper it's a huge DPS drop since the DPS on these only shows at about 780 (versus my current 1h of just over 1k) and it shows me dropping on paper from 150k to 132k DPS, but the hidden DPS actually takes me back up to about 145k. Losing 5k eDPS to get +3% LS isn't terrible, but is the WKL not worth it for EP? I would think it'd still be worth it for the cyclones damage if nothing else?

Edit: This is my main and offhand (respectively) currently; I don't mind losing some DPS to get LS on both weapons, but I'm getting conflicting advice both here and elsewhere on whether or not I should get a WKL or not.

InZgKYz.jpg
eYZOkfP.jpg

A WKL might increase my EDPS. I'm not sure as I haven't run the numbers. My main interest was getting LS on both weapons along with a soc and maybe some native CD. Yellows fit that bill perfect. Dual LS will help your sustain and allow you to drop serentiy easier.

Shifty76

I'm getting conflicting advice both here and elsewhere on whether or not I should get a WKL or not.

WKL is generally considered to be best in slot for monk offhand. Not sure why anyone would recommend against it other than the paper dps superheroes on diabloprogress.

Get as much lightning dmg and dps as you can afford to go with the LS/socket.

My WKL would only be beaten out by a 1200 dps rare with 70% native CD & LS , or an EF with socket/LS , but that'd mean I'd have to deal with the fear proc, and both those options are hundreds and hundreds of millions, if not billions.

WKL is generally considered to be best in slot for monk offhand. Not sure why anyone would recommend against it other than the paper dps superheroes on diabloprogress.

Get as much lightning dmg and dps as you can afford to go with the LS/socket.

My WKL would only be beaten out by a 1200 dps rare with 70% native CD & LS , or an EF with socket/LS , but that'd mean I'd have to deal with the fear proc, and both those options are hundreds and hundreds of millions, if not billions.

What about a 1050 DPS yellow with 50 native CD a SOC and LS?

YOu guys using D3up for your calculator?

Jrmint

So I just got my first set of Infernal Machine keys.

Could anyone help me run MP10 ubers later tonight? I'd really appreciate it.

For reference I'm a DH, 160k dps.

Shifty76

What about a 1050 DPS yellow with 50 native CD a SOC and LS?

YOu guys using D3up for your calculator?

d3up, though it's a little misleading as it doesn't include cyclone dmg from SW, meaning I'd actually need something even better.

Just ran the numbers again to confirm and this is where my FoT and SW (minus cyclones) do the same dmg as my WKL:
So yeah, 32k more sheet dps just to get the same actual dps (likely still less though due to cyclones)

I can't imagine what the price would be on a 1260 dps rare with 70% CD, 2.8+ LS and socket but I know it'd be a hell of a lot more than the 150m I paid for my WKL.

XShagrath

I've got 6 machines as well if someone wants to run some this weekend or something. Keep in mind I'll probably need to be carried, as I can only handle MP6-7 comfortably on my own.

d3up, though it's a little misleading as it doesn't include cyclone dmg from SW, meaning I'd actually need something even better.

Just ran the numbers again to confirm and this is where my FoT and SW (minus cyclones) do the same dmg as my WKL:

So yeah, 32k more sheet dps just to get the same actual dps (likely still less though due to cyclones)

I can't imagine what the price would be on a 1260 dps rare with 70% CD, 2.8+ LS and socket but I know it'd be a hell of a lot more than the 150m I paid for my WKL.

I hate using D3up's calculator. What the stats on your WKL? I'm not sure what to enter as a modified weapon.

I should be on for a little bit after work. HIt me up and I"ll help.

Fenderputty#1180

MrDaravon

Fuuuuuuck, that crazy Dex on my current mainhand is fucking me upgrading. The best 1h I can get for 20 mil with LS/CD/Socket (just over 1k damge) still drops me from about 150k dps to 138k dps. Blowing my whole budget of 40 mil gets me slightly better and only drops me down to about 145k, but either option also probably prevents me from having the budget to get a WKL good enough to replace my current offhand Butcher's Sickle. Not sure if I should just wait or not until I have enough money to do both at once. Although I suppose gaining ~2.5% LS may be worth the 12k dps drop.

Shifty76

Fuuuuuuck, that crazy Dex on my current mainhand is fucking me upgrading. The best 1h I can get for 20 mil with LS/CD/Socket (just over 1k damge) still drops me from about 150k dps to 138k dps. Blowing my whole budget of 40 mil gets me slightly better and only drops me down to about 145k, but either option also probably prevents me from having the budget to get a WKL good enough to replace my current offhand Butcher's Sickle. Not sure if I should just wait or not until I have enough money to do both at once. Although I suppose gaining ~2.5% LS may be worth the 12k dps drop.

US?

There's a 775 dps 2.8% LS, 5/20 one listed for 15m b/o - that's a pretty good deal

MrDaravon

US?

There's a 775 dps 2.8% LS, 5/20 one listed for 15m b/o - that's a pretty good deal

Let me double check, but that sounds about right. The problem is that if I pick up a WKL it'd go in my offhand which is currently where my only LS already is (Butcher Sickle), so that doesn't help my immediate and main issue of needing LS in both hands :p

Edit: Yeah, using the spreadsheet that's equivalent to the one I looked at earlier, might have been the same one actually. Replacing my offhand BS with that WKL it drops my paper DPS from 150k to 125k, but with the hidden DPS it would actually be 145k; not terrible, and arguably worth it for the slightly higher lifesteal. But that doesn't solve my main problem of needing dual LS. Also looking at the spreadsheet (calculations tab) primary target total DPS (full sweeping wind buff) would drop from 766k to 648k using that WKL in my offhand. I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing this right, but all of my stats and paper DPS match up on the sheet :/

Fularu

Banned
damn, that's an awesome drop. high dps, nice CD roll, perfect AS, and OS. too bad it didn't roll strength.

----
ppl playing on US feel free to add me, i'm probably going to start playing again after a hiatus.
polishmoves#1333
p lvl 61 barb
p lvl 32 wizard
Was fun playing with you and eek yesterday, hope into my games anytime guys, I enjoy the company

Also if people need them, I have 16 infernal machines, I usually solo at MP7 but in a group doing MP9 or 10 should be possible. Especially since I'm now at 167k unbuffed dps and 501k eHP

Shifty76

Let me double check, but that sounds about right. The problem is that if I pick up a WKL it'd go in my offhand which is currently where my only LS already is (Butcher Sickle), so that doesn't help my immediate and main issue of needing LS in both hands :p

Edit: Yeah, using the spreadsheet that's equivalent to the one I looked at earlier, might have been the same one actually. Replacing my offhand BS with that WKL it drops my paper DPS from 150k to 125k, but with the hidden DPS it would actually be 145k; not terrible, and arguably worth it for the slightly higher lifesteal. But that doesn't solve my main problem of needing dual LS. Also looking at the spreadsheet (calculations tab) primary target total DPS (full sweeping wind buff) would drop from 766k to 648k using that WKL in my offhand. I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing this right, but all of my stats and paper DPS match up on the sheet :/

Replace your mainhand, keep the BS.

That WKL I mentioned would work out about the same actual dps as your mainhand (2k more on FoT, but whatever) but you'd get the double LS you're looking for.

MrDaravon

Replace your mainhand, keep the BS.

That WKL I mentioned would work out about the same actual dps as your mainhand (2k more on FoT, but whatever) but you'd get the double LS you're looking for.

So does it not really matter if the WKL is in the mainhand then? All I've ever seen is people say it should be in the offhand, I thought maybe there was some specific reason for that?

Shifty76

So does it not really matter if the WKL is in the mainhand then? All I've ever seen is people say it should be in the offhand, I thought maybe there was some specific reason for that?

Doesn't matter overly much unless you're using something like bells or backlash which base off weapon dmg from mainhand, in which case you want your higher avg dmg weapon as mainhand, so BS in your case.

MrDaravon

Doesn't matter overly much unless you're using something like bells or backlash which base off weapon dmg from mainhand, in which case you want your higher avg dmg weapon as mainhand, so BS in your case.

Picked it up; the sheet is showing my actual (hidden) DPS at 140k, so that's not too bad of a drop (10k dps and ~30k ehp) to more than double my life steal.

Now...my problem is that the spreadsheet no longer matches on paper dps. It matched perfectly before, but now it's off by about 5k on my paper dps and I can't for the life of my figure out why (stat sheet shows 125k, spreadsheet saying 120k), so I don't know if that 140k number is actually accurate or not. This is why I kept putting off upgrading my Monk :(. I am actually frustrated, especially since I know I must be doing something wrong -_-. But I can't bother you guys anymore haha.

I really appreciate your help and advice though!

Shifty76

Picked it up; the sheet is showing my actual (hidden) DPS at 140k, so that's not too bad of a drop (10k dps and ~30k ehp) to more than double my life steal.

Now...my problem is that the spreadsheet no longer matches on paper dps. It matched perfectly before, but now it's off by about 5k on my paper dps and I can't for the life of my figure out why (stat sheet shows 125k, spreadsheet saying 120k), so I don't know if that 140k number is actually accurate or not. This is why I kept putting off upgrading my Monk :(. I am actually frustrated, especially since I know I must be doing something wrong -_-. But I can't bother you guys anymore haha.

I really appreciate your help and advice though!

You adjusted your dex values and also the elemental dmg & lightning dmg boxes?
WKL is part lightning dmg, as assuming you're using that monk toolbox spreadsheet make sure you split out your dmg between physical & lightning.

Shifty76

Okay I'm an idiot then, what am I missing? When I enter my my stats this is what I'm putting in: http://imgur.com/W4GjwW5

% added as elemental is your 5 or 6% from the WKL

Bonus lightning dmg is your 20% or whatever it is on WKL

Also, for offhand you need to subtract off your min-max lightning dmg to get the remainder as physical, so:

Min phys = 390.1 - 265 (min light dmg from WKL) = 126.1
Max phys = 717.9 - 426 (max light dmg from WKL) = 291.9

So.

Belial on Inferno MP5 as solo Wiz? This shit is hard.

Any suggestions? It's easy until we go to the underworld where he can 2 shot me. Specifically, the part where all those green pools of bullshit appear is kicking my ass. Can't quite dodge everything. Not for very long, anyway. Maybe I need practice. It's been a long time since I really had to do this.

edit: okay not so hard. just changed my build and got him on the second try.

Might as well repost my Battletag, I don't play very often these days, but I typically try to get on once a week.

IceMarker#1172

added.

Shifty76

So.

Belial on Inferno MP5 as solo Wiz? This shit is hard.

Any suggestions? It's easy until we go to the underworld where he can 2 shot me. Specifically, the part where all those green pools of bullshit appear is kicking my ass. Can't quite dodge everything. Not for very long, anyway. Maybe I need practice. It's been a long time since I really had to do this.

added.

Learning his patterns helps:

Circle on you: Fist attack there. Move to side and keep attacking.

Circle to your side: Triple attack - first on the circle, second where you were when the first attack started, third between the two. Just move to where the first attack landed and enjoy the free attacks.

During the meteor storm phase only move if you have to, and don't even try attacking unless you know you have time.

MrDaravon

% added as elemental is your 5 or 6% from the WKL

Bonus lightning dmg is your 20% or whatever it is on WKL

Also, for offhand you need to subtract off your min-max lightning dmg to get the remainder as physical, so:

Min phys = 390.1 - 265 (min light dmg from WKL) = 126.1
Max phys = 717.9 - 426 (max light dmg from WKL) = 291.9

Oh, that is NOT how I read to enter the elemental damage. Also the Various tab on there has the spot to enter the % lightning skills on the WKL, so that just totally threw me off. So it should look like this then (I've leveled up once since the original hence the different dex)? http://i.imgur.com/l4CRCe8.jpg

If so it's still off by 1720.61 which isn't the biggest deal, just baffling since it was 100% accurate until I put the WKL in here, I'm probably still missing something else. More importantly though it means the ~140k eDPS estimate with the WKL on the sheet is still accurate which was the biggest thing. I just did a group MP4 run which is where I was having problems before, and with the double lifesteal it went MUCH better. I still had a couple of close calls, but those would have been deaths before for sure, and I was surviving some stuff that our fairly hardcore Barb wasn't, so I feel pretty good. Still having zero luck with crafting better gloves, but starting to look at an Inna helm upgrade for resists since I think that's probably my next easiest upgrade path. Thanks again!

XShagrath

Is there an easy way to see "item perfection"? I know d3up has it, but only on equipped items. Is there somewhere I can plug data in, or some type of program/app that I can use that will quickly tell me this? d3hit gives me a general idea, but I want a true percentage. I think I got a good Calamaity just now.

5IG3LQS.png

I haven't played in forever but the anniversary buff is bringing me back to check out the new stuff...

any thing recommended I do? what's a good act to run and at what monster level?

Dahbomb

Has anyone figured out the most optimum set up for leveling up Paragons?

I mean it used to be Act 3 modified Alkaizer run at MP0. I am curious if its better to do higher MPs in different Acts. Right now I am doing MP1 in Act 1 just for the fun.

Man everyone on my friend lists is like over P50 now at least. I am way behind, I guess that's to be expected when you don't play for 2 months.

MrDaravon

Is there an easy way to see "item perfection"? I know d3up has it, but only on equipped items. Is there somewhere I can plug data in, or some type of program/app that I can use that will quickly tell me this? d3hit gives me a general idea, but I want a true percentage. I think I got a good Calamaity just now.

5IG3LQS.png

Just to be real honest with you that damage number is super high (about #20 or so on the US AH right now), and you get a perfect Marked for Death roll (which is nice but is really whatever), but you got NO random stat, and the crit % is on the low end. It's definitely worth money, but in the tens of millions, not hundreds.

eek5

5IG3LQS.png

The problem is CD can roll up to 100% and it can also roll a socket which means even a ~950dps w/ ruby will out DPS that roll you got.

50% chance to target w/ MoD is max but you can only mark 1 target at a time with the calamity so any percentage is usually fine since you're usually rocking really high APS w/ calamity builds anyway.

Sorry.

MrDaravon

Has anyone figured out the most optimum set up for leveling up Paragons?

I mean it used to be Act 3 modified Alkaizer run at MP0. I am curious if its better to do higher MPs in different Acts. Right now I am doing MP1 in Act 1 just for the fun.

Man everyone on my friend lists is like over P50 now at least. I am way behind, I guess that's to be expected when you don't play for 2 months.

Enemies are everywhere, do what you want. The leveling bonuses + mob density are so crazy that I kinda do whatever and still level hella fast. There are some variations, but generally for Act 1 people will usually run:

-Festering Woods (usually first, minimum 2 elites in the two dungeons, usually at least 1-2 more elites or an event outside on the way as well)
-Weeping Hollow (south from the Cemetery portal). Weeping Hallow has an absurd amount of enemies now with usually 2-3 elites; it's best to hit this up with 5 stacks to take advantage of the high # of trash enemies. Some people will also clear the individual crypts which always (?) have 1 elite, or sometimes 2 elites or 1 elite and an event. I do it depending on my mood, or if I got 4 from the Woods and just need 1-2 more stacks before heading down to the Hollow.
-Fields of Misery for once you get 5 stacks for keywarden. This area is also fantastic for a ton of trash enemies and usually 3 or so elites. There's also several great events/areas you can get here: 2 different farm events, 2 different caves, and the Decaying Crypt which is now legit maybe the best level in the whole fucking game and seems to usually be there.
-Leoric's Manor; usually one elite inside and one elite out front, but not always.
-Halls of Agony 2; the Act 2 equivalent of Keep Depths 2 now.

Usually I'll run that with the quest set to Halls of Agony 2, and run Halls 2 through the end so you get the Warden and then the Butcher. I think fender posted his Act 2 run a while back, but I think it was pretty much the VotA run I used to do, which was get some stacks in the sewers, mines, then run the oasis for the kw and elites, then desolate sands, then VotA.

Act 3 actually kinda sucks now, they nerfed some of the areas hard for some reason like Core 2, which I don't know they removed most of the scorpions if they also nerfed the XP.

Act 4 has some crazy areas now, but still kinda sucks because there's not a lot of elites to get to 5 stacks in a decent manner unless you start in act 3 and run through to act 4, but I don't think it's still worth it.

Do people put Rubies now in weapons?

I always forget the math, but rubies work out better in Calamites due to their attack speed and other stats. Also for 2 socket Manticores you ideally one one emerald and one ruby (as opposed to 2 emeralds), again I forget exactly why but math. You still want emeralds in any other situation I know of.

Opiate

They are typically worse than Emeralds, but it's at least not automatically true that emeralds are better.

It's essentially a function of 1) how much IAS you have and 2) how much crit chance you have. The more IAS you have, the better rubies are. The more crit chance you have, the better emeralds are. People with a particularly large amount of IAS and/or lower than normal CC (At high levels of play, "low crit chance" would mean <40%) can benefit from rubies.

eek5

Depends on the weapon and how much CC you have. I don't think I've seen anyone bust out formulas or anything. I just know that most DH calamity builds use rubies since CC% isn't high and the calamity is a very high ASI weapon. Based on D3UP, I'd lose 7k dps with a marquise emerald compared to my FSR

MrDaravon

I think at this point half the reason I play is for eek's broadcast message of the day

Also I just noticed an odd thing; the price of Marquise Emerald plans have skyrocketed, relatively speaking. I sold one last one May 3rd for 21k; right now they're going for 240k. Still an irrelevant amount of money, but weird.

Edit: I have to go back 37 Legendaries found to find one that sold for over a million, and 30 of those 37 were brimstone. The increased drops/mob density are a blessing and a curse.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
They are typically worse than Emeralds, but it's at least not automatically true that emeralds are better.

It's essentially a function of 1) how much IAS you have and 2) how much crit chance you have. The more IAS you have, the better rubies are. The more crit chance you have, the better emeralds are. People with a particularly large amount of IAS and/or lower than normal CC (At high levels of play, "low crit chance" would mean <40%) can benefit from rubies.

It's actually the attack speed of the weapon itself, not so much your IAS elsewhere. A ruby in a mainhand weapon with an emerald in your shiny new offhand EF should give some good numbers. On the crit side, it's the combination of your current crit chance and crit damage (which determines the % benefit of adding more crit).

Long story short, I put mine in D3up and see what happens. Math R hard

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just played the game again for the first time in almost a year.

Picked up two 1-handers each with 900+ DPS, 900+ life on hit, 100+ strength and vitality for my Barbarian on the auction house for dirt cheap. Around 100k or less each.

Pretty big upgrade to what I was previously using (around 700 DPS with 500 to 600 life on hit).

Crazy how much awesome loot can be had for cheap now. People who spent IRL money in the auction house around release must be feeling dumb now if they even still play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom