• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobro

Crusader noob here. What exactly do you mean by "armour is in the 92% range"?
That you can buff your armour by 92%?
If so...holy shit!

My monk would kill for that kind of a buff. As it is now I get one-shot in tier 27+ GRifts, even with 50% dmg reduction (epiphany), 30% base dmg reduction because monk, 50% dmg reduction from dbl unity, 1200 AR, 18k armour, 450k hp.

I'm sure he meant this:
f8694a79e9f627cd79b7126a85ef8490.png
That's what I got after using AC - Prophet.

EDIT: In case you don't know the effect of Prophet:
Gain 150% additional Armor while Akarat's Champion is active.
The first time you take fatal damage while Akarat's Champion is active, you will be returned to full health.

ZenaxPure

Crusader noob here. What exactly do you mean by "armour is in the 92% range"?
That you can buff your armour by 92%?
If so...holy shit!

I assume he means get the damage reduction % from armor to 92%. I do the same with my barbarian through leap quake (rune that gives 50% additional armor for each enemy you hit with leap). Basically when I jump into a large pack I am sitting at around 95% damage reduction from armor with a 50-60% up time (since I can leap 3 times). It is very effective at keeping you alive, personally I like it more than the stun rune (since 99% of my deaths come from ground effects not mobs hitting me, making the stun rune pretty worthless).

bah, beaten!

Shifty76

Ah, derped on that one.

Sure wish monk had even one defensive passive that was any good (talking 2.1 where OWE is gone and StI is now offensive...in both senses of the word)

Dahbomb

Yeah after listening to all the complaints about Monks not having enough offensive passives... they now are in a situation where Monks lack good defensive passives.

Shifty76

Yeah after listening to all the complaints about Monks not having enough offensive passives... they now are in a situation where Monks lack good defensive passives.
I'm still confused as to why they changed StI and all our +armour runes on skills. Did they think they would be OP? If they're not OP for barb/Sader...

Such a mess the class is right now :(

Strider

Still waiting for 2.1 so havent been playing much. but they changed/nerfed One With Everything? Dear God say it aint so. That passive is the sole thing keeping me alive at T2+

Shifty76

Still waiting for 2.1 so havent been playing much. but they changed/nerfed One With Everything? Dear God say it aint so. That passive is the sole thing keeping me alive at T2+

Yep. Now we get Harmony, which gives 30%(!) of any secondary resist as AR. That's our sole defensive passive now, other than the useless dodge ones, and Resolve, which is conditional, and only helps vs physical dmg

Does anyone want to join my 29 witch in questing/playing? I'm in act 2, shadows in the desert - expert. My game is public.

Not sure if I need to link my name/acct name for people to join...

Dahbomb

I'm still confused as to why they changed StI and all our +armour runes on skills. Did they think they would be OP? If they're not OP for barb/Sader...

Such a mess the class is right now :(
It would've been an auto include in every Monk build if STI stayed as is (it already was which was what they were trying to avoid). A change was necessary although them flipping the switch completely from a defensive to an offensive passive was puzzling.

Strider

Yep. Now we get Harmony, which gives 30%(!) of any secondary resist as AR. That's our sole defensive passive now, other than the useless dodge ones.

I just logged on to look and it's still the same. So the changes are only in the PTR? I guess I need to read up on all the changes going on or I'm gonna be way too lost come 2.1 :/

Dahbomb

This is another case of one skill on Monk preventing them from getting the proper buffs. Before EP was preventing Monks from getting various offensive boosts... now it's going to be Serenity that will keep them from getting good boosts.

Most Blizzard devs probably think "well Monks can get near perma Serenity up they don't really NEED Defensive skills any way..."

Shifty76

I just logged on to look and it's still the same. So the changes are only in the PTR? I guess I need to read up on all the changes going on or I'm gonna be way too lost come 2.1 :/

Yeah, that's PTR.

@Dahbomb: That's the problem with none of the devs having played monk at any level higher than T1 or 2. They have absolutely no idea about the problems with the class.

There are pages and pages of solid suggestions from players who have the experience playing monk at higher difficulties, but for some reason Blizzard (Don Vu?) continues to ignore it.

Yes, near-100% uptime is possible with Serenity, but that requires an absolute focus on stacking CDR, which means monk suffers in the dps department. I do fear that Serenity is going to get nerfed to a 1-2 sec duration with a longer cooldown, simply because perma-serenity is possible.

We'll see what they have in store for us. Spirit buffs were a good start, but when monks are using that spirit solely to spam our defensive mantra to proc dmg via Sunwuko (simply because our actual spenders are crap), I somehow doubt that was what Blizz had in mind...

ZenaxPure

Yep, which puts us on an even playing field with barb/sader.

Problem is, they both get skills to massively boost their defenses on top of that (see earlier posts) whereas monk gets...nothing so far.

I mean for what it's worth most of the good barbarian defensive stuff is from active skills (which means taking up a valuable slot). Most of our passive defensive talents are shit as well. Increased health globe healing? Joke passive. Increased armor? barely noticeable boost. MORE increased armor? Even worse then the other one. Superstition is good, but we have so many good offensive passives that it's not worth using.

Rampage is really the only defensive passive most T6 barbs use and that is solely because it works for offense and defense.

What's the math behind CDR? I've got 77% added up amongst gear, set bonuses, paragon & passives. It doesn't appear to be additive though as my stats only reads 56% CDR. For some reason I thought it was additive .. Doh

Camp Lo

Banned
Hey is the Crusader at the bottom as far as classes go? Someone powerleveled mine but I'm wondering if I should have made a Barbarian instead. Kinda regretting my choice now. Did I make the right choice with the Crusader?

Skab

2.1 needs to come out. Playing the game feels rather pointless right now since I'll just be rolling ladder characters once the patch its.

Celegus

Hey is the Crusader at the bottom as far as classes go? Someone powerleveled mine but I'm wondering if I should have made a Barbarian instead. Kinda regretting my choice now. Did I make the right choice with the Crusader?

Crusader is awesome, definitely one of the top classes if not the best. They're in a better place than barbarian I'd say, but really just play whatever is fun for you.

Dahbomb

Yeah I definitely agree that Blizzard doesn't actually have many people playing Monks in their internal teams. Before RoS came out the devs showed some of the builds for the internal players and there wasn't a single Monk on there.

The recent changes to Monk were good though so MAYBE they are learning.

It's one of the top tier classes at the moment, second only to WD.

Since you've been power levelled to L70, I suggest you join RiF community and keep running it to get blood shards. Use blood shards to gamble for Akkhan set. Almost every sader build requires Akkhan set. If you need rift fragments, speed through Act 1 normal. You'll get rift fragments (to open rift for rift runners), and a chance to get ring of royal grandeur from the cache (might be required for some sader builds).

Good luck!

p/s do NOT salvage the two-handed mace called The Furnace.

Cetra

Finished Act V last night. Yep, that one act is better than all of launch D3. The mood, atmosphere, everything was closer to what I loved about D2.

From here should I do bounties and stuff in adventure mode to grind to 70, or just step up the difficulty and play through again? Not sure of the most efficient method.

Celegus

Finished Act V last night. Yep, that one act is better than all of launch D3. The mood, atmosphere, everything was closer to what I loved about D2.

From here should I do bounties and stuff in adventure mode to grind to 70, or just step up the difficulty and play through again? Not sure of the most efficient method.

Bounties are definitely quicker, and you'll want the rift fragments to start rifting whenever you hit 70.

Strider

Yea Act V is so great. By far my favorite in D3.

And I'd jump into Adventure mode on the highest difficulty you can do (effeciently) and just clear bounties. Probably the fastest way to level up and you'll get rift keys.

Pickman

Bounties are definitely quicker, and you'll want the rift fragments to start rifting whenever you hit 70.

An alternative is to grind a bunch of bounties, and then use your rift keys to buy your way into Rift It Forward T6 runs. You can powerlevel to 70 in an hour. Just make sure you stay well out of range of boss attacks to stay alive for the XP.

Dahbomb

PTR is down.... MOAR changes incoming? Let's hope for good buffs to wiz and monk.
I hope they fix the Realm of Trials because that is a good idea.

IMO though all Greater Rifts should just be a wave survival level as well. It sucks to hunt down stray enemies in sparse levels.

I hope they fix the Realm of Trials because that is a good idea.

IMO though all Greater Rifts should just be a wave survival level as well. It sucks to hunt down stray enemies in sparse levels.

I'm over the Greater Rifts for the most part. Would prefer the waves tbh.

Ayumi

Better just RIF for shards and souls as much as possible before 2.1, right? Considering how they're changing the key requirement to open rifts.

I'm burnt out on PTR too for the same reasons. The greater rift wave trial ruins the fun of normal greater rifts. The waves make so much more sense for leaderboards, no need to have people run into dead ends or get unlucky with density. It would also solve the horrible problem of getting locked into a higher than intended level rift where it could take 25+ minutes to upgrade a gem.

ZenaxPure

Better just RIF for shards and souls as much as possible before 2.1, right? Considering how they're changing the key requirement to open rifts.

Just depends really. If you want to get gear as fast as possible opening for RIF is probably the best way to go, but I've never been a fan of that myself (since I prefer actually killing dudes and shit). Personally I've been doing the opposite, very few rift runs (and always a runner in RIF when I do them) and more time spent doing bounties to collect fragments so I will be able to run hundreds of rifts in the patch (whenever I get back to playing non-seasonal characters anyway).

Shifty76

Recorded a vid last night of my first attempt at a T6 rift using the new Tempest Rush Flurry paired with Sunwuko / FoE / SSS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2yLjCcnWM

Worked out decent. Clear time was average (15 mins) but there were a lot of high HP A5 elites in there which slowed things down a bit.

Note to self: Avoid speed shrines in future as it makes aiming TR damn near impossible.

ZenaxPure

Recorded a vid last night of my first attempt at a T6 rift using the new Tempest Rush Flurry paired with Sunwuko / FoE / SSS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2yLjCcnWM

Worked out decent. Clear time was average (15 mins) but there were a lot of high HP A5 elites in there which slowed things down a bit.

Note to self: Avoid speed shrines in future as it makes aiming TR damn near impossible.

Looks infinitely more fun to actually play then the dashing strike build. I think I have all the needed items except a daibo (haven't actually seen a single level 70 daibo drop at all that I can recall).

Camp Lo

Banned
It's one of the top tier classes at the moment, second only to WD.

Since you've been power levelled to L70, I suggest you join RiF community and keep running it to get blood shards. Use blood shards to gamble for Akkhan set. Almost every sader build requires Akkhan set. If you need rift fragments, speed through Act 1 normal. You'll get rift fragments (to open rift for rift runners), and a chance to get ring of royal grandeur from the cache (might be required for some sader builds).

Good luck!

p/s do NOT salvage the two-handed mace called The Furnace.

Damn, crusaders are better than Wizards? I find myself wrecking mobs with my Wizard but I'm getting my ass kicked on my crusader. I'm going to mine those shards on the wiz and use them on the crusader.

Damn, crusaders are better than Wizards? I find myself wrecking mobs with my Wizard but I'm getting my ass kicked on my crusader. I'm going to mine those shards on the wiz and use them on the crusader.

What T-Level. WIZ is one of the better classes in early torment.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Aha, they cleaned up the PTR leaderboards. They're much easier to look at without those bugged level 255 results.

Here are the ranks cleared by the #1 and #10 for each class.
DH 39, 36
WD 39, 34
Barb 37, 32
Wiz 37, 33
Monk 35, 31
Crus 34, 31

4 person group: 39, 34. The top group has a monk, but about 3/4 of the top 10 don't, so it looks like the exploding palm change was mostly successful. It doesn't look like many people are bothering with groups. Definitely need some people in the group with a Furnace to be competitive.

I'm surprised that the 4 person groups aren't outperforming the soloers. That unity + immortal follower combo goes a long way.

That's surprising, I figured crusaders (holy shotgun) would be able to do way better. Everytime I grouped with one, it feels like they're doing all the work with everything compared to what I'm doing on my WD.

Dahbomb

That's surprising, I figured crusaders (holy shotgun) would be able to do way better. Everytime I grouped with one, it feels like they're doing all the work with everything compared to what I'm doing on my WD.
Just give it a while, Crusader will pass Monk soon enough.

They have to do a reset/patch again to fix the fast level cheese in seasons right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom