• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cowboy

Been away for a while and was just re-reading the patch notes, i noticed for a lot of classes that certain attacks have had/are getting a damage buff, i was just checking the Wizard changes - its great that Archon will have crowd control immunity (not so bothered about not using my Ice Climbers in Archon form now :D), but does any else find it strange that the Archon form attacks haven't received a damage buff of any kind?.

MrDaravon

Finally got a solid Mara shoulders ~7k shards later!

Wjwcj8D.jpg

I did doublecheck and unfortunately these DO always roll Resource Cost Reduction, so it's gonna be hard to get much better than this. In a super fantastical situation if I got one that rolled high Dex/Vit/RCR/Sentry innately I could re-roll the RCR for something slightly more useful (high life regen, Armor, Area damage, LpH?), or in the even MORE unlikely situation that it didn't roll a secondary resist I could re-roll the RCR to All Resist, but I'm not sure that's even actually possible (never seen someone with it). But yeah, that'll do for now. Now to work on trying to get better boots; my current ones have high dex but low Vit and CA % with no further re-roll options. Reallly need to try to get AR on them, my toughness is kinda shit now, and by losing the Life % roll I had on my old Mara shoulders my HP is down to like 390k :(

Ayumi

Yoshi and friends are EU side, but I know the Mumble server was popping for a while after RoS launched on NA side too. I don't have a mic though, so I've never joined in.

You're welcome to join, though as Celegus said we're EU. Doesn't mean you can't hang out with us on the EU Mumble of course. It's actually a great way to overcome shyness, since most of us aren't native speakers in the first place. The more the merrier anyway.

Aww, I had no idea. Btw, is this the same server that was always linked in this thread?
I once went there thinking it was hosted by someone on NeoGAF but it was just full of strangers (no GAF members) playing other games.

red731

I couldn't find anyone through my new fresh playthrough as a Crusader and I am in Act 5 now.
I guess that all people are paragon leveling in crazy shit(places) I haven't even set my foot in.

That, or that I don't have adnventure mode unlocked yet.

I am getting addicted again. Also facepalm moment - I bought the cd key instead directly from Blizz store....I could have even save money and get some avatars I wouldn't even use
KuGsj.gif

Ayumi

After power leveling a DH and crafting whatever survival gear I could, I'm now stuck on what to do. I've looked up and found what are the best gear items to use (though still a bit unsure about skills to use since I'm not sure how weapon dependent the DH is with the gear).

I got some shards to spend now but I have no idea what to gamble for first. Any idea?

I don't have a decent weapon yet, so it's hard to get geared up around a weapon..
Been using this website http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/items/demon-hunter#total to check what I should be wearing. Although the attributes and stats on the gear will obviously depend on what weapon I have and skills, I'm kind of stuck in a bad circle. Any help would be highly appreciated!

(Also using this website http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/demon-hunter)

Should I start just gambling for gear, or a weapon? Halp.. I just need a bit of an idea on where to go. Thank you. ; ~ ;

Edit: Watching this now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6coDwFKJMk

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good OT Yoshi!

I still got dibs on PC OT3! I got that still saved as a .txt file!
Thanks!

Like I said, PC |OT3| is yours :)

MrDaravon

Real DH players only play with 200K health.

I don't know how people do that. I already get one-shotted by things I don't even see sometimes.

After power leveling a DH and crafting whatever survival gear I could, I'm now stuck on what to do. I've looked up and found what are the best gear items to use (though still a bit unsure about skills to use since I'm not sure how weapon dependent the DH is with the gear).

I got some shards to spend now but I have no idea what to gamble for first. Any idea?

I don't have a decent weapon yet, so it's hard to get geared up around a weapon..
Been using this website http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/items/demon-hunter#total to check what I should be wearing. Although the attributes and stats on the gear will obviously depend on what weapon I have and skills, I'm kind of stuck in a bad circle. Any help would be highly appreciated!

(Also using this website http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/demon-hunter)

Should I start just gambling for gear, or a weapon? Halp.. I just need a bit of an idea on where to go. Thank you. ; ~ ;

Edit: Watching this now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6coDwFKJMk

Skimmed that video but the gear suggestions are pretty solid and largely apply to any class really (Asheara + Aughild set). The Diablo 3 DH Subreddit is also a good place to go over stuff. Gearing a DH is pretty straightforward.

Starting out up to T4 you're probably going to want to do a Cluster Arrow build, key components are a Magefist and Cindercoat. T5-T6 you're going to have to go full Mara set sentry build, you can see my and Jay's posts in the last page or two with profile links for pretty much what you're aiming for there. If you link your profile we can give more specific advice. Generally speaking though you really don't want to gamble for weapons. If you're just starting out and don't have any of this stuff yet I'd probably start gambling first for a Cindercoat since it has Fire % AND the Fire resource cost reduction. Weapon-wise just get the highest DPS weapon you can, if you have the Arcane Barb plan and no other legendaries it's super solid.

Ayumi

@Ayumi

Can you link to your build?

Here is mine
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JayHayabusa-2672/hero/40811808

Took the advice of @DahBomb and @MrDaravon building mine. You can read posts #7150 and #7725 in this thread where they go into general gear tips and what you should look for.
It's 100% random and unorganised. I'm only wearing stuff I crafted or already had in my stash.. so not really worth linking, lol. I bookmarked those posts, thank you!

Skimmed that video but the gear suggestions are pretty solid and largely apply to any class really (Asheara + Aughild set). The Diablo 3 DH Subreddit is also a good place to go over stuff. Gearing a DH is pretty straightforward.

Starting out up to T4 you're probably going to want to do a Cluster Arrow build, key components are a Magefist and Cindercoat. T5-T6 you're going to have to go full Mara set sentry build, you can see my and Jay's posts in the last page or two with profile links for pretty much what you're aiming for there. If you link your profile we can give more specific advice. Generally speaking though you really don't want to gamble for weapons. If you're just starting out and don't have any of this stuff yet I'd probably start gambling first for a Cindercoat since it has Fire % AND the Fire resource cost reduction. Weapon-wise just get the highest DPS weapon you can, if you have the Arcane Barb plan and no other legendaries it's super solid.

Thank you, you guys are awesome. I'm gonna try my best to do this. Using my wiz to get shards from rifts and spend them on my DH seems to be the fastest way, I guess.
I do have the Arcane Barb plan, but I also have http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/sydryu-crust - Should I just start off with the Arcane Barb instead, and put a green socket in it?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Gaf clan seems so empty every time I log in nowadays

Well I can only speak for myself, but as I intend to make a ladder char there's no reason for me to be playing until 2.1. I'm sure I am not alone in that.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
2.1 has been way later than anyone expected. Same for WoD. Dat Blizzard timeline.

Blizz has always been slow, but I think recently we have been seeing the ugly head of bureaucracy. I get the feeling that 2.1 is taking so long because every little change or addition probably has to go through half a dozen different levels of approvals and sign-offs before it even gets to the PTR.

Ayumi

Well I can only speak for myself, but as I intend to make a ladder char there's no reason for me to be playing until 2.1. I'm sure I am not alone in that.

Now is still a great way to get shards and gamble using RiF.. at least for someone like me who isn't comfortable in more than T4 solo, running rifts alone is very slow, so I like to do bounty runs, and then RiF to get shards/potential RG legs. RiF won't be possible in the same way after 2.1 so I'm trying to take advantage as much as I can, heh.

2.1 has been way later than anyone expected. Same for WoD. Dat Blizzard timeline.

Where abouts on this scale are we now? http://www.wowwiki.com/Soon

MrDaravon

Thank you, you guys are awesome. I'm gonna try my best to do this. Using my wiz to get shards from rifts and spend them on my DH seems to be the fastest way, I guess.
I do have the Arcane Barb plan, but I also have http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/sydryu-crust - Should I just start off with the Arcane Barb instead, and put a green socket in it?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK that CA damage is based off your DPS (and not base damage like Sentries), in which case you would just want to use the strongest weapon you have.

Shifty76

Well, it doesn't help that they completely broke monk and needed to pretty much rebuild it from scratch. That takes time. They've figured out mitigation and sustain, now they just need to fix the dps.

Anyway, speaking of monk I recorded a vid last night of the one build I hadn't tried yet on PTR: A LTK based fire build with Maximus. Dmg output is pretty solid (higher than Stormbreaker I'd say) plus it doesn't require dashing around like an idiot.

My fire gear is still pretty average, so lots of potential improvements to be had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aydzXRTrh0

Syntek

Real DH players only play with 200K health.

Yep, with the original Awareness passive, 200K is viable even at T6, in the right hands. Didn't even have to worry about Jailer back then. You just end up with a tired wrist very quickly. Unfortunately, most DHs consider current Awareness to be better than the old one.

Oh i see, is it every paragon level after 800 or only every 4th level?

As I understand it, at 800, you can max out every single paragon stat that has a cap. However, VIT and primary stat like STR have no 50/50 limit or anything like that so you can continue to add every paragon point you gain to them. There is no cap on those two stats so once you pass 800, they are going to be the only thing you will continue to level up or boost, assuming you did the logical thing and have already filled up all of the other stats with caps.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Grats to the guy! He just hit paragon 1000!

ZenaxPure

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK that CA damage is based off your DPS (and not base damage like Sentries), in which case you would just want to use the strongest weapon you have.

Literally every attack in the game is based on the damage range, not the DPS. The DPS of a weapon is simply supposed to give you an idea of the damage when attack speed is included because most attack animations are effected by your attack speed (which is why you can dump faster with a 1h than a 2h).

This is one of the reasons the whole resource system is fucked up right now (and why I bring it up so much). In an ideal world a faster weapon generates more of your resource which means you can use an ability faster (compared to a slower weapon). But since the best way to gain your resource with every class is from using abilities that aren't your resource generators the only thing that really matters in weapon selection is how much damage you are actually going to do with said attack so you want to pick the weapon that hits the hardest (ignoring legendary affixes of course). This is pretty much why absolutely no one uses stuff like daggers, awful awful damage range in favor of high attack speed. You can have a Barber with 2300 DPS or whatever, but the damage with all your attacks is going to be shit.

The town is just ridic in this stream. Just a leg and set orgy on the ground.

Lol

If you ain't playing the game this way, you're playing it wrong!

Not as crazy as that guy, but, we kept having RiF people steal the loot we got from rift guardians lol (and it happened A LOT). My favorite was when my friend got 2 tal'rasha chest pieces from the RG and some dude in our group (I don't even think he was a wizard) picked up both before peacing out of the game. Like we actually cared that he wanted both of them lol, didn't have to run off the second he picked them up.

MrDaravon

Literally every attack in the game is based on the damage range, not the DPS. The DPS of a weapon is simply supposed to give you an idea of the damage when attack speed is included because most attack animations are effected by your attack speed (which is why you can dump faster with a 1h than a 2h).

This is one of the reasons the whole resource system is fucked up right now (and why I bring it up so much). In an ideal world a faster weapon generates more of your resource which means you can use an ability faster (compared to a slower weapon). But since the best way to gain your resource with every class is from using abilities that aren't your resource generators the only thing that really matters in weapon selection is how much damage you are actually going to do with said attack so you want to pick the weapon that hits the hardest (ignoring legendary affixes of course). This is pretty much why absolutely no one uses stuff like daggers, awful awful damage range in favor of high attack speed. You can have a Barber with 2300 DPS or whatever, but the damage with all your attacks is going to be shit.

That makes sense, but it's still kinda weird. I have a feeling most people don't realize that since I see people running the CA build with 1 handers all of the time.

Ayumi

Well, look at his webcam. He actually lives in a basement. His parents'? Who knows. He's clearly been playing pretty much nonstop since launch, though.

Not sure if your post was meant to be rude, but I don't think we should be judging him. We don't know him. We know what he does, but not what he thinks or feels..

The time he spent playing Diablo 3, is the same amount of time a looot of people use in front of the computer, just doing other/various stuff. This is his passion and obviously what he loves doing, so we shouldn't be judging him for it.

Sorry for sounding angry, I'm not, I just know that it would make me feel bad if people bashed on how I choose to spend my time unless it was going around murdering real people, etc. (Again, I also don't know if you meant to be rude, so please don't take my post the wrong way. Just putting it out in the general.)

ZenaxPure

That makes sense, but it's still kinda weird. I have a feeling most people don't realize that since I see people running the CA build with 1 handers all of the time.

Well the game purposefully fools you. The DPS number is HUGE on an item where as the range is always so tiny. It's only natural to think that DPS is the most important thing

Honestly the only reason I bothered to learn this stuff was because on leap quake. Since earthquake has a fixed animation and is not an attack that can be spammed you want the hardest hitting weapons you can find. Attack speed in general does literally nothing for the build (in the optimal version of the build) and is a wasted stat.

The hole only goes deeper when you learn that earthquake is based on only mainhand damage as well (most attacks alternate weapons each hit), which makes the damage value on your offhand worthless. I was running with Dah and Coffeebeans the other day and both of them were confused at first with my offhand weapon because it only has 460 DPS, but, after a second it obviously makes sense. Since the attack only uses mainhand damage the damage value on the offhand is a completely wasted stat. Thus it only makes sense for me to get rid of it because it allows me to have STR, CDR, Fire damage, and a socket.

It also serves as another example of don't trust sheet dps ever. My sheet dps is currently around 440k, but, most non bulky champion packs I can kill (when playing solo) with 1 cycle of leap quakes. If I click on something to proc harringtons they typically die while a couple of the quakes are still active.

Not sure if your post was meant to be rude, but I don't think we should be judging him. We don't know him. We know what he does, but not what he thinks or feels..

The time he spent playing Diablo 3, is the same amount of time a looot of people use in front of the computer, just doing other/various stuff. This is his passion and obviously what he loves doing, so we shouldn't be judging him for it.

Sorry for sounding angry, I'm not, I just know that it would make me feel bad if people bashed on how I choose to spend my time unless it was going around murdering real people, etc. (Again, I also don't know if you meant to be rude, so please don't take my post the wrong way. Just putting it out in the general.)

Yes, that was a bit passive-aggressive.

And yes, he's been playing an amount of Diablo 3 that can only be described as "acute". It is what it is, man. I hope he's making enough from these streams to justify *this much* time being spent, or has alternate ways to generate income. The amount of time required to hit paragon 1,000 in such a short time span is pretty significant and the other poster's observation that he been playing pretty much non-stop since RoS dropped is likely very accurate.

There is such thing as doing something too much to the point where it becomes unhealthy or otherwise a hinderance to forward progress in life. Everyone has to be careful to take stock of their time spent and make sure they're not using the majority of their time to build bridges that will lead them nowhere. Introspection and being able to be self-checked are critical in the age where easy, instant access to all manner of time-spending activities cat-call you and pull you away from things you really need to be doing instead.

That said, congrats to him. It's quite the show of dedication. Again, I just hope that he's not trading his future to play this game now. But shit...there are only so many hours in the day. If he's sleeping 7-8 hours, playing for 10-12 hours, and eating for another hour...man may only be leaving himself 4 hours/day to better himself.

MrDaravon

Fuuuuuck I just found this Mara chest, I don't know what to do, why do I keep getting these horrible trade-off situations now? :(

9R5nGt0.jpg

It rolled mid on Dex and Vit...but it rolled AR and the coveted Sentry roll along with Life after kill and Health globe bonus. As you can see in my screenshot I've currently got two dex gems in my pants; I'm thinking maybe I roll the AR for the sockets, then swap out the dex gems in my pants for one or two AR gems? I need to do the math to see if losing ~600 dex (from my current chest and assuming I pull out both dex gems on the pants) is worth the gain of the 13% sentry damage + the life after kill and health globe bonuses.

Celegus

I think there's a difference between how you spend your free time and an addiction. Spending thousands of hours playing a game in a span of a few months (I guess a year or so since paragon levels were introduced, but it was SO much slower before 2.0) just isn't normal behavior.

I'm not saying there couldn't be a perfectly good reason for it as I don't know his situation, but simply putting myself in his shoes, there's just no way I would be able to continue to be a productive member of society in addition to playing that much. I'm not trying to pass judgment, but if everyone was like this the world would burn.

I'm all for doing whatever you want in your free time that makes you happy, as long as it isn't the expense of other things like your health or the people around you. I see the reasoning on both sides of the topic, so really it just comes down to the situation. Of course you can't tell someone else how to live, but I also find it incredibly difficult to respect someone that can't take care of themselves that has the means to and simply chooses not to. I'm speaking generally, not specifically about this guy. Who knows, maybe he's a perfectly cool dude that just lets other people use his account.

I think there's a difference between how you spend your free time and an addiction. Spending thousands of hours playing a game in a span of a few months (I guess a year or so since paragon levels were introduced, but it was SO much slower before 2.0) just isn't normal behavior.

I'm not saying there couldn't be a perfectly good reason for it as I don't know his situation, but simply putting myself in his shoes, there's just no way I would be able to continue to be a productive member of society in addition to playing that much. I'm not trying to pass judgment, but if everyone was like this the world would burn.

I'm all for doing whatever you want in your free time that makes you happy, as long as it isn't the expense of other things like your health or the people around you. I see the reasoning on both sides of the topic, so really it just comes down to the situation. Of course you can't tell someone else how to live, but I also find it incredibly difficult to respect someone that can't take care of themselves that has the means to and simply chooses not to. I'm speaking generally, not specifically about this guy. Who knows, maybe he's a perfectly cool dude that just lets other people use his account.
+1

and well said.

MrDaravon

FUCK so close ;_________; (just found the ones on the right)

HHFWQ3y.jpg

I'll keep gambling for boots, but I think I might actually go with this right now. Assuming I can re-roll the MS for 490ish Vit right now I would probably be okay with trading CA % and 30 dex for ~55 Vit, 90 AR and the Impale %.

MrDaravon

Any room in the NA Gaf guild?? I got removed for inactivity, was in the original!

GAF guild is full. Ratticus is the clan leader so you can ask him, last post/update on that was that a purge was going to be done after 2.1 hits. There's no real way to track activity (or lack thereof) so it's hard to make room.

Dahbomb

When I saw that Burning Axe in game I was confused, I thought my game was bugged. Then I saw that the damage rolls were enchanted off and it made much more sense.

As far as the Marauder chest piece goes, I would just keep both. One for damage one for Toughness. For the Sentry one I would roll off the Vit.

iirate

Whoa @ the Sunwuko buff. Unless we're missing a new caveat, it looks like Blizzard is fine with monks only viable build being Daibo + Holy.

ZenaxPure

Glad to see a physical earthquake rune finally, was kind of silly to have multiple fire ones and no physical. Hopefully a physical build will spawn from it like the frost one has. Even if it's not as good as fire hopefully it will be competent, all you can ask for really.

Also that sunwuko change, hmmmmmmmm.

robochimp

Just when I was starting to get bored, mostly playing Crusader and Barb, a Calamity drops while playing my crusader. Guess it's time to give my DH a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom