• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iirate

Gonna call it right now - Blizzard wants to push this patch out soon(possibly next week) and knows that monks need iteration. So instead, they're going to make Sunwuko ridiculous, tell monks they're fine again, and ignore the actual problems for a while.

ZenaxPure

Gonna call it right now - Blizzard wants to push this patch out soon(possibly next week) and knows that monks need iteration. So instead, they're going to make Sunwuko ridiculous, tell monks they're fine again, and ignore the actual problems for a while.

Bro they've been doing that with half the classes already, may as well at least put monk at the same level of "broken-ness" as other classes.

Tom Penny

Monks in a good place.

Dahbomb

The delay with the patch is really because a good chunk of the D3 team is working on the console version.

Edit: DID NOT see the new patch changes... BRB reading while grabbing a drink.

Shenlong's Spirit 2 piece Bonus: Increases Spirit Regeneration by 4 per Second (up from 1).
Oh boy... Shenlong BiS incoming??? Blizzard going CRAZY with them buffs though!

The SWK change is pretty fucking silly. They should be changing stuff like the travel time/target acquisition of the set rather than "WE DIDN'T THINK THE SET BONUS WAS MEATY ENOUGH.... SO WE DOUBLED IT!!!!"

Edit: OH WAIT NEVERMIND!!!! They nerfed Transcendence back to compensate. And that's a pretty big nerf... almost back to old Transcendence.

Sweeping Wind : Damage increased to 105% weapon damage (up from 60%). Damage at 3 stacks increased to 315% weapon damage (up from 180%).

Blade Storm : Damage per stack increased to 145% weapon damage (up from 85%). Damage at 3 stacks increased to 435% weapon damage (up from 255%).
Cyclone : Lightning tornado damage increased to 95% weapon damage (up from 35%).
I like this change. Makes that new Monk weapon very desirable.

Bladestorm will be doing 1450% damage per second if you get the +7 stack weapon.

Overall this is a pretty meh patch. They basically nerfed the buff they gave to the melee class in terms of resource life gain but then they basically buffed every other healing spell in the game. Almost 90% of the changes are to defensive heals. Boring as fuck.

BUT THAT SHENLONG CHANGE THOUGH!!!!!

Dahbomb

The only real class balance changer here is the Sunwoko change. It MIGHT be enough to put Monks over Wizards on Leaderboards. But the other rankings are going to remain the exact same... DH and WD on top with Crusader close to them.

Raiment set of Monk is pretty much irrelevant now IMO in comparison to SWK.

I don't understand the Guardian Path change. It's already 35% spirit regen.

ZenaxPure

Overall this is a pretty meh patch. They basically nerfed the buff they gave to the melee class in terms of resource life gain but then they basically buffed every other healing spell in the game. Almost 90% of the changes are to defensive heals. Boring as fuck.

Can't say I'm surprised. Saw a barbarian video that was a pretty typical build except it was using rend as a healing ability. Like literally not even using it to damage enemies (cause you know, it sucks) and just using it to heal back to full HP constantly.

Dahbomb

I knew the change was OP as hell when Blizzard first put them in but that was really the only way some of these melee classes were going to survive in 30+ GRs.

This now puts even more of a distance between Pet based class and the rest.

I like how a 4 piece set is vastly superior to a 6 piece set now. Blizzard gonna Blizzard.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Any room in the NA Gaf guild?? I got removed for inactivity, was in the original!

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. US-GAF is too big for a single clan.

My request for now is for everyone to please request to join the "GAF" community (instead of the clan) and enable the chat after you get accepted. It remembers the setting now, so you don't have to do it every time. That'll help get that "GAF chat" going as centre stage. It gets the job done for chat and grouping (the most important parts) - people just miss out on loot notifications, clan quick join (not used much anyway) and the tag over their head. We can figure out how to sort ourselves into clans later. Seasons pretty much break the single clan approach and we're going to need the community to tie us together.

I remade the community to clear the roster a few weeks ago and set it to invite-only so we can maintain some control over the roster - keeps out randoms and spammers. I'll get a who's who spreadsheet going for the community so we can connect GAF names to battle.net names and show profile links and some stats.

I'm going to hide the NeoGAF clan from search again since that approach isn't working out - too many random join requests from people not even reading the clan description.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Looks like the Guardian Path change is a nerf from 35% to 15%.

Monks clearly an over powered class guys.

Clearly needed the nerf to compensate for that massive 3 spirit regen buff to Shenlong's. I mean, one spirit regen is roughly the same as one legendary weapon affix, right... that's one left over. The debt must be paid!

Was screwing around doing some bounties when I saw some legendary gloves drop, immediately I thought "boy that would be nice if it was a dex T&T for my DH". Sure enough it was!! Not the greatest of stats but my sentries sure fire faster now :p

LYSwnAy.png

ZenaxPure

Eh... I would've much preferred that they increased the chance to proc it rather than "it wasn't meaty enough so we multiplied it!"

Me too because if I learned anything playing the build on my monk it basically never procced unless you were in a huge group and even then that is under really specific conditions (using fists to proc area damage giving it dozens of chances to proc each second). Not sure if anything has changed since then in the many iterations of the PTR.

Not a chance, restarting from scratch after all the time I put in the PC version? Nope nope nope. Not that I even have a PS4 though.

Yeah I understand this. I sort of feel the same but I'm interested to see how this game plays with a controller. Seems like it would be a pretty good fit.

ZenaxPure

Yeah I understand this. I sort of feel the same but I'm interested to see how this game plays with a controller. Seems like it would be a pretty good fit.

You can play a lengthy demo on consoles. The controller feels fine, it just has the limitations you'd expect (can not manually aim skills outside of a general direction).

Dahbomb

LMAO @ these nerfs to Legendary gems.

Although apparently the 2nd passive unlocks at LVL25 so that's at least much better.

Edit: Confirmed that the 2nd passive unlocks at LVL25 and they also changed the way you upgrade as well as the percentages. It's based on the difference between the level of Legendary gem and the Greater Rift itself. So if you have a rank 1 gem and you complete GR 30 you will have a 100% chance.

However upgrading gems past 35 or so is going to be a massive pain in the ass.

Edit#2: LMAO they nerfed the new Monk Legendary... max additional stacks are 3. This class just cannot seem to get a fucking break!

Jubs

I haven't been following the PTR changes for a number of weeks now, but I remember being really disappointed by the changes they were giving to monks in the beginning. Judging by the reactions here, I take it Blizzard still has no idea what they're doing with monks?

Dahbomb

I haven't been following the PTR changes for a number of weeks now, but I remember being really disappointed by the changes they were giving to monks in the beginning. Judging by the reactions here, I take it Blizzard still has no idea what they're doing with monks?
This has been like the 3rd post in a row where they have made big changes to Monk.

Most of Blizzard changes to Monk basically are funneling them towards a very specific gear dependent build that out classes anything else for the class. They basically want every Monk to be using a Daibo with SWK set, Holy element and getting maximum CDR/Spirit regen to spam skills at melee range to proc SWK. Anything that isn't this build is going to heavily under perform due to the nature of the Monk.

I was actually excited about the SW changes until they decided to nerf the SW Legendary weapon. So now it's the same as before which was very underwhelming. Most other classes enjoy Legendaries that triple the output of a skill, Monks are lucky to get Legendaries that double a skill's output.

The good thing is that they gave Monks very good passives now, good damage mitigation and a bit better healing. Previous to this patch Monk's healing was admittedly broken and they scaled that shit ASAP. The damage problem is some what solved with the SWK set but the problem with Monks is simply their under performing damage dealers and lack of synergies with their sets. The sets also are either really boring or restrictive.

Another problem is that Blizzard has a really hard time buffing something without nerfing something else to compensate when it comes to Monk. If I had to sum up this patch for Monk... it's basically 2 big nerfs (Transcendance and Guardian's Path) and 1 big buff (SWK damage) with 1 decent buff (SW base damage increased along with Cyclone damage increase). This is not including stuff like the Legendary gem nerfs which Blizzard laid down the law on just now or other Legendary changes (like moving Mystic Ally buff on Vigilant Belt to Crudest Boot as well as buffing some previously shit Monk legendaries).

Jubs

The good thing is that they gave Monks very good passives now, good damage mitigation and a bit better healing. Previous to this patch Monk's healing was admittedly broken and they scaled that shit ASAP. The damage problem is some what solved with the SWK set but the problem with Monks is simply their under performing damage dealers and lack of synergies with their sets. The sets also are either really boring or restrictive.

This is disappointing to hear. While the healing and defensive buffs are welcome, it's annoying they still haven't addressed their shitty damage. The PTR has been up for quite some time, and a big dmg buff to SWK is the best they do can for their dps? I thought Blizzard promised competitive changes to WoL and LTK? And it's sad to see that Rainment 4 & 6 pc bonuses are still unchanged. What a crappy set.

Dahbomb

This is disappointing to hear. While the healing and defensive buffs are welcome, it's annoying they still haven't addressed their shitty damage. The PTR has been up for quite some time, and a big dmg buff to SWK is the best they do can for their dps? I thought Blizzard promised competitive changes to WoL and LTK? And it's sad to see that Rainment 4 & 6 pc bonuses are still unchanged. What a crappy set.
WoL and LTK were "buffed" recently.

WoL got a much needed animation change with some rune buffs as well. This patch greatly buffed the Cold rune. They also buffed both Tzo Krin gaze and Incense Torch weapons to give WoL damage and the Daibo gives cost reduction to WoL.

LTK got damage increased but the resource cost nerfed severely. They also buffed GNK which is the LTK helm. In addition they increased the arc and buffed some of the runes significantly. The resource cost isn't a big deal IMO because Monks are able to spam that skill even with the higher cost the problem is that even if you can spam that skill non stop with GNK and Maximus equipped it's not touching the damage you can do with a standard SWK build.

Raiment seemingly appears to get worse and worse with every single 2.1 patch if that is even possible.

red731

Finished Act V for the first time yesterday.

Yeah, I must say that I like the story very much. As I've read three Diablo books about Uldysian ul'Diomed, is friends, advesaries, high heavens, burning hells, us the spawns....
It really interconnected everything even more. As with vanila D3, I love to listen to lore.

I should have went to sleep, but I've helped all of my three friends - scoundrel, templar and enchantress.
I really loved their stories too!

On to the adventure mode! asl 56/Cru/Sanctuary

Taz

The thing with class balance is that blizzard have shown in the past that their internal testing team is some what clueless, they probably have some specific build and item set that's putting classes within a range on GR's that blizzard are happy with. The other thing to consider is people will come up with all sorts of crazy things when the patch goes live, so I think it's going to be a patch were it may take a few weeks to a month before the best and optimized builds are found.

I'd hope that the patch will release before September but I dunno it's been such a drawn out patch it could still be some time away.

Edit#

http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/?news=115929&site=diablo3

Taken from a Korean interview,

Q: PTR for 2.1 is going on for a while, when does it come live? and what will be the duration of each season?

A: kevn - 2.1 will be applied soon. we received a lot of feedback from players. there will be one additional PTR build, and soon after that will come to live. the duration of season is to be determined based on players feedback but internally we are looking at 2~3 months.

So if this counts the last PTR patch as the one additional then the next step is live , maybe next Tuesday to get it out before PoE expansion? , maybe they'll duel release it on next gen consoles and PC at the same time.

The thing with class balance is that blizzard have shown in the past that their internal testing team is some what clueless, they probably have some specific build and item set that's putting classes within a range on GR's that blizzard are happy with. The other thing to consider is people will come up with all sorts of crazy things when the patch goes live, so I think it's going to be a patch were it may take a few weeks to a month before the best and optimized builds are found.

I'd hope that the patch will release before September but I dunno it's been such a drawn out patch it could still be some time away.

Edit#

http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/?news=115929&site=diablo3

Taken from a Korean interview,

Q: PTR for 2.1 is going on for a while, when does it come live? and what will be the duration of each season?

A: kevn - 2.1 will be applied soon. we received a lot of feedback from players. there will be one additional PTR build, and soon after that will come to live. the duration of season is to be determined based on players feedback but internally we are looking at 2~3 months.

So if this counts the last PTR patch as the one additional then the next step is live , maybe next Tuesday to get it out before PoE expansion? , maybe they'll duel release it on next gen consoles and PC at the same time.

I was thinking this exact same thing when I got that PoE xpac email the other day lol.

Ayumi

Finally... the Mirrorball dropped (not even from Kadala). And it was even worse than the garbage one I had in my stash. :<

Dahbomb

They have too many issues in the PTR to push 2.1 live next week.

Realm of Trials is still wack as fuck.

Rift density is still a massive issue.

There aren't enough Conquests or new Legendaries to make Seasons that enticing. In addition 2 months Seasons are too long for D3, people get to top gear 300 Paragon within a week of playing.

Many many of the older Legendaries are still butt cheeks in that they are just slightly better Rares.

Still numerous unaddressed bugs in the game. There will be more discovered by the time 2.1 rolls out. At this point they will be forced to do many server resets to keep things from getting exploit heavy in the first month.

Right now class balance is the least of the issues in 2.1 and even that is a big issue.

Shifty76

Yes, that was posted here multiple times yesterday :)

Anyway, typed up some quick thoughts on some of the monk changes over on reddit, so I'll copy/paste those here:

Only had a chance to play around with my TR/Sunwuko build last night, but HOLY SHIT.

Clones were consistently critting for 150-160m (up from 50-60m previous)

Spirit regen was definitely a challenge with the nerf to GP, so I picked up Ex Soul as well as BoY to reduce cooldown on Epiphany. With those I could nearly perma-TR between Epi and Air Ally. I'd have to stop to run for maybe 2-3 secs every 3-4 mins, so it wasn't too bad.

That all changed when the RG from GR28 dropped me some Crudest Boots though. Not only did it give me double (or close to) the passive regen, but it also gives double the active when you cast it. Air allies seemed to hit for a bit more dmg too. Still only 4-5m each, but that's better than the 2m or less they used to do, and it was nice for finishing off low HP targets.

Anyway, I cruised all the way to tier 29 back to back, and cleared it with around 3 mins left. Had to go to bed after that, but I'll give 30 a crack tomorrow. Should be easy enough though since tier 29 was all high hp A5 mobs.

Really wish I could get a socket on my FD, then I'd try a build with that, but still no luck there.

A few other things I noticed:

- GRift density seemed a bit better. Only had one where I had long patches with no enemies (that long narrow sewer map)
- Skipping GRift levels seemed to be greatly reduced. I cleared GR20 with around 8 mins left and it only set me to 23. Cleared that with 7 mins left and went to 26. Cleared that with 6 mins left and got the key for 27. Previously that would have bumped me to 30+. I do like that change.

Can't see myself going back to Raiment EVER (thank Ytar for that too). SWK just deals so much more damage, plus it's not a pain in the ass to play. Even RG's would go down in a minute or less with sustained SWK procs / flurry bombs / SSS

Ayumi

Was this the same guy who had like 5-7 paragon 100 characters before RoS launched? I remember Blizz did some community spotlight article on a dude that had a bunch of paragon 100 toons.
No, you're probably thinking of "Glow"? He had 10 of them too, I think. That was also before the Paragon experience was account bound, I believe.

I hope you're right about the new patch coming down soon (before the PoE expac). I've been on an extended break from my last run with some hardcore characters and I think the seasons would liven the game up, considering I've never participated in seasons/ladders before this would be an exciting diversion from uni life.

Am I reading this correctly in saying that wizards were once towards the top of the food chain (before reaper of souls) and now they are considered bottom tier? Or was I just out of the loop initially in thinking that wizards were cool?

ZenaxPure

Am I reading this correctly in saying that wizards were once towards the top of the food chain (before reaper of souls) and now they are considered bottom tier? Or was I just out of the loop initially in thinking that wizards were cool?

Eh, bottom tier is such a misleading way of putting it really. It's not like wizards are useless or anything.

Eh, bottom tier is such a misleading way of putting it really. It's not like wizards are useless or anything.

oh yeah, I wouldn't think they'd be useless or anything. Just that they aren't pulling out the same numbers in damage basically just taking longer to kill the same mobs that the 'top tier' classes are. It'd never actually affect the classes I play as I play for enjoyment, it's just knowledge of the inner workings of the game that I like to keep in my head.

ZenaxPure

oh yeah, I wouldn't think they'd be useless or anything. Just that they aren't pulling out the same numbers in damage basically just taking longer to kill the same mobs that the 'top tier' classes are. It'd never actually affect the classes I play as I play for enjoyment, it's just knowledge of the inner workings of the game that I like to keep in my head.

It just really depends on how hard you magnify it. Technically their damage might be lower than some other class, but based on the greater rift ranks posted here a few days ago it's small enough that RNG is going to matter more then the class differences.

Of course the PTR is still getting patched like every week so any semblance of balance is a moving target.

Here are some quality of life changes they need to make:

Rift keys shouldn't have to be in your bag. When you talk to Orek you should see them as currency.

All buffs, but mostly talking about wizard's armor, familiar, and magic weapon, need to be permanent. It's really stupid re-applying them all the time; 10 minutes goes fast in Diablo.

The monk mantra "use" functionality should have a CD, and be much more impactful. I think managing your spirit use between your actual skills and the mantra isn't conducive to smooth gameplay.

I've burnt through my backlog and about to jump back in on D3. I purchased the expansion when it came out but pretty much know nothing about it. My main was a monk so I'll probably start back with him. So what do I need to know? I only know vanilla D. Can I just jump in and figure it out or are there things that you all can make me aware of so I can cruise through more efficiently?

Dahbomb

Here are some quality of life changes they need to make:

Rift keys shouldn't have to be in your bag. When you talk to Orek you should see them as currency.

All buffs, but mostly talking about wizard's armor, familiar, and magic weapon, need to be permanent. It's really stupid re-applying them all the time; 10 minutes goes fast in Diablo.

The monk mantra "use" functionality should have a CD, and be much more impactful. I think managing your spirit use between your actual skills and the mantra isn't conducive to smooth gameplay.
Most crafting mats should be currencies as well so yea I agree with the Fragment thing.

Monks buffs are already permanent with the Mantras and Allies so when I went to Wizard and saw that they had to reapply their 10 minute buffs was pretty stupid. It's not even a balance issue... it's just a nuisance when you are playing a session and in the middle of a pack your buffs run out. So yea they should definitely make this change.

The Monk mantra change that you are requesting is basically more in line with what the Crusaders have with their Laws. I am indifferent with this change because I need to see what the Mantras look like after they would need to be reworked to accommodate this change.

The mantras at the moment just don't feel correct. It feels like you either use them or your offensive skills. Maybe I just don't have enough spirit regen.

But yes, the laws are a good example of buffs done correctly. Perhaps to prevent homogenization the mantras can be on a 10 second CD with less of an impact than the laws.

Dahbomb

Well with enough Spirit regen you can spam both although for "standard" Monk builds you generally aren't spamming Mantras that often but ironically pretty much all of the high level Monk builds have you spamming Mantras now (SWK definitely has you spamming Mantra and Raiment set has you mashing Mantras simply because there is nothing else to use Spirit on).

Oh and Spirit regen in 2.1 is buffed a ton but in Live servers it's really difficult to spam both skills and mantra at the same time. So when I am talking about these things I am almost always talking about 2.1.

Shifty76

Hell no!

Spamming our mantra to proc Sunwuko clones is our ONLY means of doing dmg that keeps us even slightly close to other classes in GRifts. Put a CD on mantras and we need to switch to SW spam, which completely invalidates one of our class sets (Inna's)

Now, if Blizzard actually had any competence at all, and gave our spenders actual decent dmg buffs, or gave us legendaries that acted as dmg multipliers, such as every class other than monk has, then sure, but right now mantra spam Sunwuko is all we have, and I have ZERO confidence in Blizz ever fixing our spenders/generators to be able to match that dps output.

Dahbomb

Hell no!

Spamming our mantra to proc Sunwuko clones is our ONLY means of doing dmg that keeps us even slightly close to other classes in GRifts. Put a CD on mantras and we need to switch to SW spam, which completely invalidates one of our class sets (Inna's)
This is actually a symptom of the problem and the problem is that the Monks Spenders are so mediocre that Monks would rather spend a non animation skill with resource than spend resources on a skill that takes up valuable animation time for less damage.

No matter how you dice it though... spamming SW or Mantras to proc SWK is pretty fucking stupid. I half expect Blizzard to reduce the cost of SW so that people aren't using it just as a Spirit dump to generate SWK procs.

gave us legendaries that acted as dmg multipliers,
They did that with Sweeping Wind and Mystic Ally recently.

Although even then I guess Monks don't have a Legendary that triples their output. These 2 plus Fist of Az and GNK just double the damage of the skills where as stuff like FotF, Mirrorball and Wand of Woh triple the damage output of skills.

Shifty76

They did that with Sweeping Wind and Mystic Ally recently.

Yeah, they buffed SW, then promptly went and nerfed the seasonal legendary that benefited the most from it to a max of +3 stacks (so again, double multiplier)

Mystic ally...eh, it does crap dmg anyway, so meh (though it seems to have been buffed to around 4m crits now!). Really all anyone uses the ally for is either extra dmg via fire ally or extra spirit via air ally.

I agree with you completely that the way they have monk right now is absolutely stupid. No monk wants to spend all their time spamming a non-dmg skill to do dmg, but that's our only choice.

Knowing Blizzard, they'll come down hard on that because "it's not the way we think monks should be played." Well guess what Blizz? It's not the way monks want to play monks either, but right now it's our only choice, simply because you've messed everything else up to the point that we're incapable of dealing meaningful dmg any other way.

ZenaxPure

Ehhh Shifty, I don't disagree with you really but you're glossing over a lot of problems trying to make it sound like butterflies and rainbows for everyone that isn't monk. Like seriously, every other class has legendaries that triple the damage of their attacks? That's a joke right? Because barb, demon hunter, and witch doctor have absolutely nothing like that. You can't really include stuff like leap quake, jade, or mara because if you're going to go down that route then technically monk is no different because Raiment more than triples the damage dashing strike normally offers.

Your qualms are not a problem with the monk class, it is a problem with the general game design (which I share completely). Your damage dealers (or as you put it specifically generators and spenders) are pretty much on par with everyone else's in 2.1 from a base level. It's just super obvious Blizzard wants people to use special legendary items like mirroball/fotf to break T6+ but they didn't bother to give those types of items to anyone but wizard and crusader and instead gave everyone else weird shit where some of it worked and some of it didn't (monk just lost that lottery harder than everyone else).

As for Blizzard not knowing what they're doing with their game (Graffgor), I disagree. I think Blizzard knows exactly what they are doing they just don't seem to care that it goes completely against what made people continue to play the base game for 2 years after launch despite the fact there was basically no content in the game outside of running around fields of misery over and over again. They wanted to make skills good through items instead of skill design as a way to open up build opportunities and make it a "proper" loot game. This is a problem that could be mitigated quite a bit if they would just give every class items similar to mirroball/fotf, but they want to get creative and fancy instead. Which everyone bitches about, It's not just monk here, I obviously spend a lot of time on barbarian forums and it reads scarily exactly like Shifty's posts: everyone just wants their attacks back, we went from vanilla where overpower, rend, WW, and HoTA all got valid use in build variation to all of those attacks being replaced by gimmicks like jumping up and down every 6 seconds or spamming a charge button through a group of mobs over and over.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, while I still have fun with the game I think it's less fun to actually play than it was in vanilla. If it wasn't for adventure mode (and specifically rifts) I probably would have only put like 30 or 40 hours into the expansion with the current class/item/skill philosophy. All we can really hope for is Blizz eventually gives the rest of us an item that is similar to the ones I mentioned before, but, clearly the season 1 loot they've showed so far is not going to do that and so we all have to sit back and wait I guess.

Taz

The problem with any game of this type the grass is always greener on the other side and it's almost impossible to balance everything so everyone is happy, as always ranged > melee , after watching a few streams of greater rifts I think blizzard have done a good job and let's be honest they want you to group up to complete the top tier rifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom