• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubs

It appears my all-time favorite "purple rain" arcane torrent build isn't as sustainable as I hoped it would be past T4.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DreamVisions-1571/hero/3314095

Might feel more viable when I get a couple of pieces of that Vyrs or Phoenix set (and their associated bonuses), but idk. The biggest issue was/is the need to stand still, but not being able to kill quickly enough to offset the damage coming in. Of course, I don't have and never have had any cool rings like SoJ and I'm going to have to start farming an int RoRG, so I have yet to find a proper ring upgrade. Upgrading is hard.

Will upgrading my Asheras pieces and rings fix my problem, or am I going to have to gut my build? I'm thinking maybe it'd be worth it to try to get a proper Mirrorball and spec'ing magic missile as my primary, which would at least allow me to kite and still deal lots of damage in situations where I can't simply afk channel Arcane Torrent.

When I used to play w/ my arcane wiz, I used the passive Temporal Flux to help w/ crowd control. Should give u more time to channel before they get too close. Try switching out arcane torrent for Disintegrate: Chaos Nexus. It pretty much gives u a laser beam that shoots out in a 360 angle. Clears out trash faster, I thought, and it's no slouch against elites either.

As for gear, yes a RRoG is pretty vital for a wiz, for pretty much every class, really. Try crafting some Aughild's, should help w/ elite DMG and mitigation. Get a harrington belt if u can, helps w/ burst. See if u can get the source Triumvirant, should help a bit w/ arcane DMG, or a mirror ball, of course.

It appears my all-time favorite "purple rain" arcane torrent build isn't as sustainable as I hoped it would be past T4.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DreamVisions-1571/hero/3314095

Might feel more viable when I get a couple of pieces of that Vyrs or Phoenix set (and their associated bonuses), but idk. The biggest issue was/is the need to stand still, but not being able to kill quickly enough to offset the damage coming in. Of course, I don't have and never have had any cool rings like SoJ and I'm going to have to start farming an int RoRG, so I have yet to find a proper ring upgrade. Upgrading is hard.

Will upgrading my Asheras pieces and rings fix my problem, or am I going to have to gut my build? I'm thinking maybe it'd be worth it to try to get a proper Mirrorball and spec'ing magic missile as my primary, which would at least allow me to kite and still deal lots of damage in situations where I can't simply afk channel Arcane Torrent.

I've never really tried arcane torrent on live but I can give you hope. The build works well in 2.1 which is hopefully coming out this coming tuesday but you'll need a firebird set and fire gear. Then it becomes incredibly good both on defense and offense. The downside is knockbacks and stuns that removes the defense buff from channeling flame ward but there will be krelm's bracers to avoid that. I toyed around with offensive or defensive gearing here.

d14zmUn.jpg

BrjAKv0.jpg

Celegus

I've never really tried arcane torrent on live but I can give you hope. The build works well in 2.1 which is hopefully coming out this coming tuesday but you'll need a firebird set and fire gear. Then it becomes incredibly good both on defense and offense. The downside is knockbacks and stuns that removes the defense buff from channeling flame ward but there will be krelm's bracers to avoid that. I toyed around with offensive or defensive gearing here.

Whoa that's a ton of toughness (and damage) on a wizard! Mine is around 8m... in fact I think all my characters are right around there. I'll have to snoop on your gear once 2.1 hits and see how you did it, or see if the changes affect my stats much. I thought my gear was pretty decent but I'm nowhere near that much damage or toughness.

ZenaxPure

I'm really intrigued by firebird. I have the whole thing sitting in my stash and I'm hoping it will be enough to propel my wizard from T5 to T6. Because 30k shards later and I have no mirrorball. This entire set I got as hand-me downs from my wizard friend months ago and I just stashed it in hopes of it being good someday.

ZenaxPure

GRs and Realm of Trials seems like a piece of unbalanced crap for hardcore players because there's no fixed way to gauge the difficulty of the the enemies until you actually fight them and the only way to not die is to TP out or wait for the timer to run out.

Hmm? Realm of Trials is a little weird, but, people have already gauged what GR levels equal what Torment difficulty. It's not that hard to figure out if you should be attempting it or not.

Xanathus

Hmm? Realm of Trials is a little weird, but, people have already gauged what GR levels equal what Torment difficulty. It's not that hard to figure out if you should be attempting it or not.

It's still really iffy because difficulty is heavily dependent on the type of enemies you get.

Dahbomb

People rarely die in Trials.

That's because all the enemies you face in Trials are regular mobs. And the real problem is killing them fast enough, not surviving them. This is not going to be much of an issue in Hardcore at all.

And people already know what GRs correspond to what difficulty roughly speaking. Pretty sure no Hardcore player should be playing GR 30 if their gear is suited for T4-T5.

I would say that in Hardcore, death should not be permanent in Trials. Mostly because difficulty tends to jack up pretty quickly nowadays.

Dahbomb

Since 2.1 is around the corner, I have some tips that I would like to share for everyone here.

*Having max movement speed for GR is absolutely essential. There will be many times where you are just moving from group to group that is not dense so movement is essential. There will also be times where you die and have to start from a checkpoint so walking fast is essential. I would honestly use the new Belt for GRs instead of String of Ear/Witching Hour for this purpose because it can shave off valuable time. Mobility spells are also crucial, for GRs its actually a bit better to be running Vault than Smokescreen.

*For Trials... take off equipment that gives elite damage because it's utterly useless. You will only be fighting regular enemies. Also have abilities that hit in a large area and able to vacuum them in if you aren't playing M6. M6 Marauder is actually the best class to do extremely well in Trials because you can have 5 Sentries up all the time (Custom Engineering is a must for Trials). Burst damage is key in Trials so have stuff that hits hard and fast.

*After doing every GR... DO NOT FORGET TO REPAIR! I can't tell you how many times I have failed a GR30+ Rift because I had forgotten to Repair before I started. It's such a careless mistake but it bites you in the ass more often than you think.

*Do not underestimate the value of 2nd life skills in GR. It could actually make the difference between a Rift clear and fail. That's why you will see many top DHs running Awareness.

*For ranged classes it's absolutely crucial to wear a Lightning or Arcane immunity amulet. The only thing that can one shot you instantly from a distance is stuff like Jailer (which is Arcane), Vortex (also Arcane) and Thunderstorm (it spawns on your location, very hard to dodge at the last second). Every other affix can be dodged with skill/reaction. Having Kulle Aid potion is also extremely useful for higher GRs as you don't want to be stuck and get killed by a Waller.

*Make sure your skills and items are correct before entering a GR. This is especially true after completing Trials because your equipment that you use for Trials will be different from GRs (and also different between GRs and regular Rifts).

*Don't skip out on collecting purple orbs from Elite/Blues. They fill up your progress bar quick. Beefy enemies are actually worth killing now as they fill up your bar faster.

*All your Rings should have socket in them no matter what. No matter what stats you have on your Rings... replacing any one of them with a socket will make your character much stronger because Legendary gems outclass any Primary stat on a Ring. For Amulets it's a tougher choice unless you have a perfect Amulet already and you can roll main stat into socket. Giving up 100%CHD or 10% CC is difficult even for a Legendary gem but it's much easier to give up main stat which you should have plenty of as it is.

*Some Legendary gems are strong at lvl0, some are strong at lvl25. First thing you should do when getting into GRs is to equip yourself with 2 really good lvl0 Legendary gems. Gems like the Smite or Lightning Wreath are really good to put on as soon as you get them where as other ones are good at lvl25 when you unlock the second ability.

*Starting at rank 0 it's faster to upgrade gems by quitting early like before GR 20. You can get to lvl25 rank gem really quickly, only a few hours work.

Vicros

By the way they said that they played around the idea of having no crit hit damage in Seasons but they wanted Season 1 to be as close to home as possible.

I think that for future Seasons they will be trying something ballsy for Seasons so that it's a truly different experience from playing the normal version.

I love the sound of that. Modifiers like that could really make things interesting. Seasons are a great playground for shaking things up.

Thanks for your tips post above, Dahbomb. That's all wisdom.

Xevren

Not really, the games are basically on par with each other now feature wise. The differences are pretty minor.

Pretty much. My only knock on the console versions now is if you need to escape it can be difficult. If enemies are around you and you want to leap/teleport are odds are you're just going to stay in place.

Dahbomb

Is console version really better? The comments in the console thread are tempting me to buy the PS4 version.
It really just boils down to controller preference from what I have seen. From most accounts while the controller is less action for some spells, it "feels better" controlling the characters with a stick.

There are differences like free trading/Nemesis system between console/PC version but right now PC version still has edge because it's not ruined by online people duping/hacking items and it will have Seasons which console version does not. I am not certain how much Blizzard plans to support the console version.

ZenaxPure

Pretty much. My only knock on the console versions now is if you need to escape it can be difficult. If enemies are around you and you want to leap/teleport are odds are you're just going to stay in place.

Yeah stuff like this really makes me wonder how T6/GRs are going to go on the console version of RoS. Being able to escape is really important for every class but since it seems a lot of mobility skills target enemies now I could see some potential trouble.

ZenaxPure

Didn't they say they were stopping updates to the console version?

Only 360/ps3. X1/Ps4 will get new patches, in fact they've said that eventually they want to release patches at the same time on PS4/X1/PC. Though I guess it's worth pointing out that any competitive-like feature is getting neutered for the console version. No seasons on console and no leaderboards for anything, including non-season GR.

Also just saw a blue post (from 4 hours ago) that again said the patch is planned to be released before the end of the month.

So yeah, fingers crossed.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Can someone in charge of the guild shoot me an invite next time their on?

#Ram1596

It's full and we're waiting a week after 2.1 before we do any cleanup. In the mean time, search for the "GAF" community and apply to join that instead - going to try that instead of spinning up a few overflow clans again. I'll hop on later and check for invite requests.

Xevren

Yeah stuff like this really makes me wonder how T6/GRs are going to go on the console version of RoS. Being able to escape is really important for every class but since it seems a lot of mobility skills target enemies now I could see some potential trouble.

So it turns out you can escape with teleport/leap type abilities, you just have to hold the button down so it won't go towards the enemy. Game really never tells you (that I know of). So maybe not a big deal after all!

ZenaxPure

So it turns out you can escape with teleport/leap type abilities, you just have to hold the button down so it won't go towards the enemy. Game really never tells you (that I know of). So maybe not a big deal after all!

Will be nice for teleport (and furious charge if it works the same way) but leapquake you still want to land on an enemy as to not waste the quakes so it's going to be annoying.

Xevren

Will be nice for teleport (and furious charge if it works the same way) but leapquake you still want to land on an enemy as to not waste the quakes so it's going to be annoying.

If you tap it and aim at an enemy it will hit them, if you hold it down it'll go max distance. That's the kind of build I'm doing even though my weapons are meh it's going pretty good.

Ramirez

It's full and we're waiting a week after 2.1 before we do any cleanup. In the mean time, search for the "GAF" community and apply to join that instead - going to try that instead of spinning up a few overflow clans again. I'll hop on later and check for invite requests.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Is the gaf community in diablo 3 active at all anymore or did I try to join the wrong one?

I guess my application is still pending.

MrDaravon

The problem is that even the relatively few people that still actively play either haven't joined or don't automatically load into the GAF community chat. Most days when I get on there will be like 5-8 people from the clan on, and I'll be the only one in the community chat. We can't keep booting and consolidating multiple clans every time there's a big patch, I'd almost say that once we do the 2.1 purge make it mandatory for people in the clan to also be in the Community, since that's realistically the only way this is going to work out.

Raticus79

Is the gaf community in diablo 3 active at all anymore or did I try to join the wrong one?

I guess my application is still pending.

Yup, you had the right one. You're in now.

The community's getting going pretty well now, most of the regulars in the clan are in there now too.

Its pretty much dead.

It's just getting started. I had re-created it to clear the roster. It previously had about 600 people but it had a lot of randoms. It's 15 right now but it has almost as many people online as the clan at the moment. I expect the community will have more people on than the clan once it ramps up again.

I'd almost say that once we do the 2.1 purge make it mandatory for people in the clan to also be in the Community, since that's realistically the only way this is going to work out.

Sure, I'd say that's reasonable.

Raticus79

How to join the US GAF community

Step 1: Add yourself to the roster spreadsheet:
- Click "Quote" for this post and look in the edit window for the link after this line. (hidden with an email tag)
- Copy/paste that into your browser, scroll to the bottom of the list and add your GAF name and battletag. (If you don't remember your tag numbers, just include the first part and we can add the numbers for you after)

Step 2: Make the join request while in game:
- Click the clan/community icon at the bottom right (or press shift+O)
- Click the "Find" button at the bottom under "Communities", then type GAF in the box that says <Filter>. Click Search on the bottom right.
- Double-click the "GAF" community that appears. It will change to say "Pending Request". The officers get a notification at this point, check the spreadsheet to verify you and then approve.
- After the request is approved, you'll get an invitation. Accept that and you're in.
Notification:
WDN15Km.png

Open the Communities window to accept:
OvENzgw.png

(invitations only last for 9 days, so make sure you do this step in time)

Enable the chat.
It starts out red (not connected)
eYsTfnI.png

Click the red icon and it'll turn green, which means you're connected. (It also says "Entered GAF community chat" in the chat window).
h6vvNFv.png

It now remembers this setting, so this only needs to be done once.

Other tips and tricks:
- If you want to see who's on, type /who
- If you hold shift and click someone's name in chat, it says their character name, paragon level, class and their torment level if they're in game. (Same info that's in the community roster window)
i7FUxtY.png

* If you're getting a link in your chat box instead of the expected status message, make sure your chat isn't in typing mode (hit Esc to clear it)

Wallach

Word? I thought I already tried that. I'll look at it tonight, I hope it works, it's really my only beef with playing Barbarian on console. Otherwise it is slick as shit on controller.

Raticus79

Just finished filling out the GAF names on the spreadsheet for people I could find by searching.

There were some I couldn't find matching posts for when searching, so I flagged these ones as needing verification - will be the first ones to be removed if I can't verify membership by the time we do that purge after 2.1.

mip9CGT.png

If you're the owner of a battle.net account with one of these names, please reply or send me a PM to confirm which GAF user you are so I can update the sheet (edit: or you can enter it yourself using the link in my previous post)

Battletag starts with:
BlaqReaper
Childrens
dingus
GruntOAction
Invictus
Jigsaw
k4rL01
Magicalbum
Mechanized
NeckFace
Nye
ShiftyChef
ufokidd
Ultratech
ZimVC

Sorry if anyone already gave usernames via chat or whatever - we lost a bunch that we had recorded in the clan notes when the clans were remade.

Just finished filling out the GAF names on the spreadsheet for people I could find by searching.

There were some I couldn't find matching posts for when searching, so I flagged these ones as needing verification - will be the first ones to be removed if I can't verify membership by the time we do that purge after 2.1.

If you're the owner of a battle.net account with one of these names, please reply or send me a PM to confirm which GAF user you are so I can update the sheet.

Sorry if anyone already gave usernames via chat or whatever - we lost a bunch that we had recorded in the clan notes when the clans were remade.

Fixed my entry on the sheet, I'm Valgar. Thanks for all the work you're putting in on this bud!

mip9CGT.png

If you're the owner of a battle.net account with one of these names, please reply or send me a PM to confirm which GAF user you are so I can update the sheet (edit: or you can enter it yourself using the link in my previous post)

I sent a PM but I'm replying as well. My name is Ween on the spreadsheet. I'll be active once again as soon as 2.1 goes live.

Edit: I updated the spreadsheet

MrDaravon

I didn't know you could do the shift-click thing to see the current character levels of people in a Community, that's rad.

Regarding the current unverified list I'm 99% sure Mechanized and Childrens are on GAF and are old regulars, I don't recognize any of the other names though.

Raticus79

I sent a PM but I'm replying as well. My name is Ween on the spreadsheet. I'll be active once again as soon as 2.1 goes live.

Edit: I updated the spreadsheet

All right, thanks

Is there an EU community or clan?

Yes, but I'm not sure if the clan that shows up in search (English, 122 members, Headhunter leading) is the real one.

I didn't know you could do the shift-click thing to see the current character levels of people in a Community, that's rad.

Regarding the current unverified list I'm 99% sure Mechanized and Childrens are on GAF and are old regulars, I don't recognize any of the other names though.

Yup, it's pretty handy. Found that when I was trying to scope out how the community could work. One tricky thing about it is you can't have your chat in typing mode when you do it or it just inserts a link instead. Added a note about that in my little guide.

There are a few people like that where I know they've been around for a while and I just couldn't find the names. Boatoh's one of the higher level members so I hope to get it all sorted out.

--------------------------------------------------------
How to join the US GAF community

ZenaxPure

So can you get legendary gems on any GR level? Was randomly thinking about how going into seasons we're going to be very under powered again and the second we hit max level most of us probably won't be able to make it very far into a GR, but, legendary gems could probably be a really nice early power boost, especially if we're in mostly yellow gear. Assuming they're easy enough to obtain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom