• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered both games and they should be coming in soon. Just a few questions that I'd like answered:

- Is it good solo, or should I pester my friends to buy it while it's on sale?
- Any way to tighten up the graphics at 1080p? Anti-alising, downsampling, etc. I'm on an AMD 7850 if that makes any difference
- Any settings I should have on/off?
- Can I screw myself over w/ my build if I don't know what I'm doing?

Someone will probably answer better than me, however, it is immensely enjoyable solo but mainly because I can't commit to certain playtimes (8month old baby), you will find people to play with even without your friends having the game.

There's very little you can do in terms of tightening the graphics, there is a colour/sharpness mod that you can play around with. It lets you darken or saturate the game and also gives you a few options for modifying the font

The mod can be found here

Other than that you will want to enable something in the options. It's called 'elective mode' and by enabling it you will be able to use any combination of skills you want, instead of being restricted to one skill from each skill type. You can't 'screw' yourself in this game it's made for experimenting.

eek5

I just ordered both games and they should be coming in soon. Just a few questions that I'd like answered:

- Is it good solo, or should I pester my friends to buy it while it's on sale?
- Any way to tighten up the graphics at 1080p? Anti-alising, downsampling, etc. I'm on an AMD 7850 if that makes any difference
- Any settings I should have on/off?
- Can I screw myself over w/ my build if I don't know what I'm doing?

The settings never affected my performance much other than the AA dropdown.

As far as playing goes, I find solo to be a lot of fun but jumping into people's games is fun too. All depends on what you're trying to do.

Playing with friends is always fun as long as you're the lucky one getting good drops.. otherwise you just get salty. Kidding.. kind of. :(

MrDaravon

a wild eek appears!

I'm definitely doing Seasons, the prospect of EVERYONE (in the season obviously) starting over from scratch is appealing to me. Plus my DH is virtually as good as I'm going to get currently short of an absolute godtier roll on a few items, so gives me an excuse to go through the grind again. Will probably split my time between DH and Crusader, up to now I've played almost all DH.

a wild eek appears!

I'm definitely doing Seasons, the prospect of EVERYONE (in the season obviously) starting over from scratch is appealing to me. Plus my DH is virtually as good as I'm going to get currently short of an absolute godtier roll on a few items, so gives me an excuse to go through the grind again. Will probably split my time between DH and Crusader, up to now I've played almost all DH.

That's a big draw for me too. This is one aspect of gaming that is difficult for me to get around, buying a game on day one means you get to see the community evolve and be a part of it, but you also have to pay silly new game prices ($80~ here in Aus). But with seasons like SC2 and now diablo I get to be a part of the beginning every few months.

I'm probably going to be DH, Crusader, or Witch doctor since I haven't played a lvl 70 in any of those classes. It'd be nice if Bliz sneak the update in a day early :)

Jubs

This is probably the last set of PTR rankings that will be posted:

Class........| #1 | #10 | #50 | #100 |
-------------+----+-----+-----+------+
Demon Hunter | 41 |..39 |..36 |..36..|
Crusader.... | 40 |..37 |..33 |..32..|
Wizard...... | 39 |..37 |..35 |..34..|
Barbarian....| 39 |..36 |..33 |..31..|
Monk........ | 38 |..36 |..33 |..32..|
Witch Doctor | 38 |..35 |..32 |..31..|

Monks no longer the worst class in the game!

Surprised by the WD rankings, considering they're kings in the current game. Are they too squishy for higher GR?

Dahbomb

Surprised by the WD rankings, considering they're kings in the current game. Are they too squishy for higher GR?
Their pets get destroyed in Greater Rifts. A couple of hits and their pets die. Jade Harvester build is too bursty for GRs, now enough in the way of defense.

A couple of versions ago WDs were neck and neck with DHs on the PTR because the Enforcer gem was god tier. It used to make pets invincible and that allowed WDs to be roughly on the same level as DHs (as the main difference between DHs and WDs was that one had invincible pets and the other didn't). Well since they greatly nerfed the Enforcer gems... it doesn't make pets invincible anymore and the damage reduction isn't all that.

Blizzard knows about this and they plan on buffing Pet toughness in the future.

MrDaravon

I'm just hoping I don't fall behind. Basically working two jobs now :( RIP Eek

Unless you care about leaderboards/conquests I wouldn't really worry about it, especially with the first season apparently going 2-3 months. I plan on going in as hard as possible until Destiny comes out, because when that hits all other games are getting put on hold for at least a few weeks at a minimum.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Unless you care about leaderboards/conquests I wouldn't really worry about it, especially with the first season apparently going 2-3 months. I plan on going in as hard as possible until Destiny comes out, because when that hits all other games are getting put on hold for at least a few weeks at a minimum.

I plan to level 1 character to 70 for the transmog item and thats it. (i think)

ezekial45

Banned
I'm trying to get back in the game. I haven't played since May.

Have there been any new updates or game changers that have come out? Like new ways to get lots of loot in a relatively short amount of time.

Dahbomb

I'm trying to get back in the game. I haven't played since May.

Have there been any new updates or game changers that have come out? Like new ways to get lots of loot in a relatively short amount of time.
Wait to play until Tuesday when Patch 2.1 goes live. Lots of new features in there.

Miker

Someone will probably answer better than me, however, it is immensely enjoyable solo but mainly because I can't commit to certain playtimes (8month old baby), you will find people to play with even without your friends having the game.

There's very little you can do in terms of tightening the graphics, there is a colour/sharpness mod that you can play around with. It lets you darken or saturate the game and also gives you a few options for modifying the font

The mod can be found here

Other than that you will want to enable something in the options. It's called 'elective mode' and by enabling it you will be able to use any combination of skills you want, instead of being restricted to one skill from each skill type. You can't 'screw' yourself in this game it's made for experimenting.

The settings never affected my performance much other than the AA dropdown.

As far as playing goes, I find solo to be a lot of fun but jumping into people's games is fun too. All depends on what you're trying to do.

Playing with friends is always fun as long as you're the lucky one getting good drops.. otherwise you just get salty. Kidding.. kind of. :(

Thanks for the posts. I'm going to download the starter edition tonight so hopefully I don't have to download as much when I get the full games. Well, I hope that's how it works.

eek5

I plan to level 1 character to 70 for the transmog item and thats it. (i think)

What item is this? Also do we know what happens when ladder ends? All items go to regular character or what? or do I need to delete a character slot to start a ladder char? I've been so out of the loop :(

ZenaxPure

What item is this? Also do we know what happens when ladder ends? All items go to regular character or what? or do I need to delete a character slot to start a ladder char? I've been so out of the loop :(

You unlock a transmog skin for reaching max level in the season. According to the official 2.1 season news post there is a full set and each season you can unlock a new piece of it.

As for characters, seasonal characters just take up a normal slot, so yeah if you are full on characters you need to delete one. It's pretty shitty obviously, I wish blizz would give us more character space.

At the end of the season your characters and their equipped items become non-season characters you can use in the main game, the rest of your items go into the system thing where you get stuff like your pre-order wings. They disappear if you don't collect them after 30 days iirc. Your gold and collected paragon xp just rolls into your main one, so those totals will simply go up. There is also a new stash tab, not season exclusive or anything.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
DDoS again. Those Lizard guys need to be shut down.

So, I've got a question about Marauder's sentries. I know the sentries are bugged in certain combinations of hatred spenders to where the attack speed can be slower than yours. And I know that the sentries need to 'wind up' their attacks before they start firing at full speed. But I haven't seen my specific issue mentioned.

Here's my issue. I have an attack speed of 2.24. When I use Cluster Arrow and Chakrams, the attack speed on certain sentries will rarely get crazy fast (about 3.5 attacks per second). There doesn't seem to be a way to consistently recreate it. Is that supposed to be my max speed or is it another bug?

MrDaravon

DotA and other games are being hit hard now as well. Even if the patch goes live Tuesday I expect this to still be going on, fucking great.

So, I've got a question about Marauder's sentries. I know the sentries are bugged in certain combinations of hatred spenders to where the attack speed can be slower than yours. And I know that the sentries need to 'wind up' their attacks before they start firing at full speed. But I haven't seen my specific issue mentioned.

Here's my issue. I have an attack speed of 2.24. When I use Cluster Arrow and Chakrams, the attack speed on certain sentries will rarely get crazy fast (about 3.5 attacks per second). There doesn't seem to be a way to consistently recreate it. Is that supposed to be my max speed or is it another bug?

I've never had that happen, but I don't use Chakrams. If you're sure nothing else that is happening that would effect your attack speed (conduit/shrine or other buff) then I have no idea.

Prior to 2.1 don't use chakram or Elemental Arrow with sentries. Bugged both and only shots 1 per second, lots of damage missed.

In 2.1 you must use one of them because there are no more bugs and every sentry bolt is replaced with one Chakram or EA shot (except the other spenders ones in every cycle of course)

Xanathus

I totally forgot that they announced that the first season will only start some time after 2.1 which means there's no point in playing on Tuesday :(

I totally forgot that they announced that the first season will only start some time after 2.1 which means there's no point in playing on Tuesday :(

Aww what that's kinda let down. I guess it's understandable as it allows people time to download the patch and make sure it's all working before starting the season, but still it's bad enough that living in Australia 'Tuesday' means Wednesday cause of timezones.

ZenaxPure

With how shitty things have been the past couple of nights it might not be the worst thing that it is waiting a few days.

jyoung188

Just picked up reaper of souls and started playing again for the first time since the launch of Diablo 3. How exactly do I join the GAF clan? I sent an invite to join the community but couldn't figure out how to see the roster to message an officer for an invite to the clan.

My battle.net name is JYOUNG188

ZenaxPure

Just picked up reaper of souls and started playing again for the first time since the launch of Diablo 3. How exactly do I join the GAF clan? I sent an invite to join the community but couldn't figure out how to see the roster to message an officer for an invite to the clan.

My battle.net name is JYOUNG188

It's really obvious when someone asks for an invite to the community, I got you covered... But yeah, no clan invites for now. Won't be for a while.

cdyhybrid

Seriously? What's the fucking point then?

That's the dumbest shit ever. Why release the patch if the whole point of the patch isn't going in with it?

oktarb

Some odd idea's that came up during some co-op sessions while babbling.

* Make Snitch Goblin. He runs away like normal but if you don't kill him before he ports he reports to his demon boss and they send out a demons hit squad on you.

* Add the ability to transfer and replace a stat/power from a legendary to another legery of the same type via the enchanter. Sometimes I get a really neat special ability on an item that I out level and I'd like to put that power on the one I'm using.

* Player Housing diet version: I trophy room where you can mount all the heads of enemies you kill. At higher difficulty levels they have different looks.

Celegus

Hey I'll take what I can get rather than waiting even longer just to get seasons ready. I'm more interested in GRs with my current dudes anyway.

Guys, I have a technical question. I asked Dahbomb about this late last night but it was late so I didn't absorb the reason for the answer so I'll ask GAF proper:
YPQOglr.jpg

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how the +elemental damage works in a situation like this so that I can make good decisions going forward.

With the Silaria, the total +fire damage on my build is +74% (i think). With the Burning Sankis, I believe it goes to +93%. Both items have similar damage values but the Silaria gets a sheet dps bump from the attack speed.

I spent a little time last night just autoattacking shit and looking at the crit numbers to see how different the damage ranges are and to be honest, it was hard to tell. If I had to guess, I'd say the Axe mustered about 300k-400k more minimum damage on average (say a max of 4.5m minimum for the Sword vs maybe 4.9m for the Axe). In doing a quick stopwatch test, I find that the Sword grants me 1 additional attack every 5 seconds (8.5 attacks in 5 seconds vs 9.5).

All of this leads me to believe that in a situation where I can sit back and afk attack, I'm going to get more damage off with the Sword (~1m more, ~3m ore with mirroball). However/B], in a situation where I cannot achieve the optimal amount of attacks, the Axe is going to give me around 0.5m-1.5m more damage every attack.

Lastly, this does not take into consideration skills like meteor or fire hydra which are not boosted by attack speed, as far as I know. These lose out bigtime because elemental damage is additive, then multiplied. They effectively lose ~20% of their damage.

With this information is it safe to say that the burning axe is the right direction for all fire builds, and is only beaten by the sword in mixed elemental builds (for the sake of conversation say +20% fire, +30% arcane, +25% lighting) where the majority of the damage is not depending on fire skills or otherwise non-fire builds?

Also, are skill buff affixes multiplicative or are they additive? If I have magic missile equipped (170% base) and have a +15% magic missile affix on something, does magic missile become 185% (additive) or 195.5% (multiplicative)? If I have two +% magic missile affixes on gear, is it additive then multiplicative like elemental affixes are or do they both just get added?

Sorry for the length. I wanted to be thorough in order to avoid a bunch of follow-up questions/confusion.

Dahbomb

I pretty much told you most of that already only when we were in game you actually had less Fire damage on gear than that which would've made the Axe an even better choice.

The only thing that beats that Axe is a Sunkeeper. That's because Elite damage is on a higher tier than Elemental damage which is on a higher tier than Skill damage bonus. What that means is that when the game calculates damage bonus it applies Skill damage bonus first then appliez Elemental damage on top of that bonus. Elite damage is applied on top of that so when you are in a situation where you have 75% fire damage and you are thinking about 20% fire damage vs 20% elite damage than the Elite damage is a much better choice.

If you want to go for a pure attack speed build with damage dished out by just MM 3x Conflagrate than the Gift might be a better choice but then you would be better off waiting for a Dagger or a Wand with even higher attack speed and better Legendary affix. That said the MM build is being nerfed in 2.1 so I would not invest too hard in that direction.

As far as your final question goes... skill damage is multiplicative. That means that if you have a 100% skill damage modifier that is effectively doubling your DPS (so a 400% weapon damage skill turns into a 800% weapon damage skill). Skill bonuses are added each other by standard addition, it's listed in your details tab as well. 15% + 15% Cluster Arrow will give you 30% Cluster Arrow.

Elemental damage applies multiplicatively over the skill damage so if your skill is doing 800% damage, with 100% fire it will do 1600%. Adding 50% elite damage to that will take you to 2400% damage on elites.

ZenaxPure

Hydra is actually effected by your attack speed, T&T also increases hydra attack speed for what it's worth. So basically more attack speed is actually a good thing for them (and one of the reasons Hydra works so well with MM builds). As for skill damage and stuff, you should check out Druin's old elemental skill damage guide, the end of it will answer your questions (and probably give you more information than you need actually as it talks about skill damage, and skill damage/elemental damage interaction).

The axe is always going to be better if the majority of your damage is coming from a spender (you mentioned meteor) especially because wizard resource regeneration is not tied to your primary attacks (to the same degree as other classes, obviously AP on crit is a thing, but it's not really the same as your attack just straight generating resource).

Personally I'd stick with the axe for now if you are actually getting the majority of your damage from meteor, but if you had a mirror ball it would be more of a toss up (the two would be close enough it probably wouldn't matter). Ideally though you want a wand in your endgame setup anyway and they all have the same base attack speed.

Thorgal

So one question bexore i bump in :

Should i buy ROS imediately with the base game to get full benefits or just buy the base game and upgrade later ?

ZenaxPure

Should i buy ROS imediately with the base game to get full benefits or just buy the base game and upgrade later ?

I would buy both personally, simply for adventure mode. If you beat the game without hitting level 60 (base game level cap) you will simply have to do the story again to gain more levels. With the expansion you will be able to continue on to the next act and then after that do adventure mode which is where you will spend the vast majority of the game. Actually once you finish story mode you will never go back to it on any character ever unless you want to do some achievements.

Celegus

Get the expansion too, I doubt many people play vanilla anymore. All the changes are fantastic, not really any point in waiting to add the expansion until later.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Seriously? What's the fucking point then?

That's the dumbest shit ever. Why release the patch if the whole point of the patch isn't going in with it?

Well, here's a theory: It gives them some time for the new features to be live for people to start exploiting stuff, which they can hotfix before starting D3's first season. First impressions and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom