• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

Was hoping to sleep through the entire stream lol, oh well. But going through the notes on diablo fans I just saw the thing about adventure mode being unlocked from the start for seasons.

Fuck. Yes.

Did not realize it was going to work that way (since I hadn't been on the PTR). I wouldn't have been against doing the story again if forced to, but, I'm glad we don't have to.

neoism

It's still going, they haven't said yet as far as I've heard.

pokerface.png

cdyhybrid

They just said they want to get it out by the end of the month. Which means Tuesday if they aren't going to release it on any other day of the week. But ultimately When It's Ready™

Insaniac

Who actually needs gold anymore? The whole thing is weird.

I just spent nearly all of my 70 million gold I had saved up on Gems and enchanting while gearing my Crusader and Witch Doctor. Not everyone is swimming in gold

The buff is useless, but they did one of these community buffs a few days before the loot 2.0 and the ros patch. So maybe Tuesday? Either way it's already the 21st so hopefully it's soon.

Buff is not necessarily useless. Depends on how it stacks with your current gold find. If its 50% on top of your overall gold find (which can easily get up to 4000%+ it can make a pretty big difference. If it's 50% Gold find as if it was on your gear, then... it sucks

The gold thing scales up really fast. I went from 20k gold piles to 45k gold piles with goldwrap and goldskin when farming t6 bounties.

It's actually not so bad to have more gold.

ZenaxPure

I just spent nearly all of my 70 million gold I had saved up on Gems and enchanting while gearing my Crusader and Witch Doctor. Not everyone is swimming in gold

It's just really easy to get is all, I dunno, a buff just seems like a really random thing to do lol.

Mostly because seasons are coming soon and a lot of people are going to do that, so non-season gold is going to be useless for a lot of people (for a little while at least).

A legendary buff would probably have gotten the same reaction from me I guess.

Shifty76

Yeah, once 2.1 drops gold will be extremely easy to come by thanks to the goblin rifts.

I started RoS with ~250m, spent most of it so went into PTR with ~15m, spent most of that, then found a goblin rift and was back to 150m. Over the different iterations I've spent millions and millions on rerolling gear, and if I ever get low I just run bounties for a while until I get another goblin rift. I think my PTR character is currently sitting on 400m or so.

Also, boo-urns at the lack of further monk changes for 2.1. Sunwuko it is I guess. Spam mantra/SW ftw!

Dahbomb

From the sounds of things they aren't going to be reworking the Raiment set but rather adding more Legendaries that benefits the set sort of like they did with the Raekor set.

But WAIT A MINUTE.... I thought the Raiment set already had a Legendary and it was called Jawbreaker? So that means we are going to need another slot to place a Legendary in to make Raiment competitive with a 4 piece set..

Yea OK Blizzard...

Celegus

Yeah, once 2.1 drops gold will be extremely easy to come by thanks to the goblin rifts.

I started RoS with ~250m, spent most of it so went into PTR with ~15m, spent most of that, then found a goblin rift and was back to 150m. Over the different iterations I've spent millions and millions on rerolling gear, and if I ever get low I just run bounties for a while until I get another goblin rift. I think my PTR character is currently sitting on 400m or so.

Also, boo-urns at the lack of further monk changes for 2.1. Sunwuko it is I guess. Spam mantra/SW ftw!

That sounds pretty nice! I've never had over 50m at a time (came into RoS broke sadly, should've dumped my stuff on the AH while I still could). I always end up spending it all as soon as I hit 10 or 20m.

Vicros

That really makes it sound like it will be tuesday. Finally! A mere 6 days before my classes start!

I really hope so. I've been a die hard since day one, but these last few weeks I've only logged on a handful of times. I'm not wasting five shards per rift if it's only one after the patch, and you can only do so many bounties before going insane.

Like others have said, I'm bummed that this is the extent of the monk changes. The change to atk speed is welcome and really helps the feel of the class but I was hoping for a more radical reworking. I guess in hindsight I should have known better. I at least want to play mine again so that's an improvement.

ZenaxPure

I really hope so. I've been a die hard since day one, but these last few weeks I've only logged on a handful of times. I'm not wasting five shards per rift if it's only one after the patch, and you can only do so many bounties before going insane.

Yeah I haven't really logged on much the past few days myself. Figured it'd be best to take a little break and play other video games before seasons start.

I mean I'd love to be playing right now but the rift thing is really big for me. I dislike using RiF at this point because it gets in the way of the flow of a rift. I find it annoying to stop what I'm doing, invite people, wait for them to get in, and then finally kill the boss. Only makes matters worse when you come across the bad egg who does shit like salvaging and gambling in your game before bothering to open the rift and leave.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So this is a console question, but more of a "was this still viable at that point" question.

I'm planning on going for the hardcore trophies and just normal-ing my way all the way up. I'm thinking Witch Doctor for my hardcore class I just want to make sure of something - so before I took a hiatus on the PC version, they had changed pet scaling to where pet/fetish WD were frankly kind of OP. Given the patch the console version is at (2.0.6?) were WD still good? Would a pet based build be a good choice to get me to 70 on hardcore?

Besides WD Any suggestions on what would be the best HC class? (Besides crusader, already rocking that)

MrDaravon

No confirmed patch date and a fucking GOLD buff? lol okay Blizzard. Not that a Gold buff is bad per se, but given that at this point most/all of the people still actively playing the game will probably be doing seasons, any kind of buff before then is somewhat useless, and gold most of all. If it had been a leg drop rate buff, or kadala buff, or literally any other buff I can think of it may have been more appealing, but fuck man.

So this is a console question, but more of a "was this still viable at that point" question.

I'm planning on going for the hardcore trophies and just normal-ing my way all the way up. I'm thinking Witch Doctor for my hardcore class I just want to make sure of something - so before I took a hiatus on the PC version, they had changed pet scaling to where pet/fetish WD were frankly kind of OP. Given the patch the console version is at (2.0.6?) were WD still good? Would a pet based build be a good choice to get me to 70 on hardcore?

Besides WD Any suggestions on what would be the best HC class? (Besides crusader, already rocking that)

I would say that WD is maybe the safest character to play HC with. I made one just specifically for HC achievements as well because I hate myself (HC is not a thing I'm not really interested in generally) and they're relatively tanky (since Int = AR), you have pets, and they get a passive that revives you once from death every 2 minutes or so. Someone may have more specific input on another class/build that's better, but I think it's a pretty safe bet. By playing it a bit safe (you probably want Vit and survivability stats on gear over pure DPS like you generally would on softcore) as well as playing with dogs + gargantuan + Pirhando for crowd control (also make sure you take the life steal dogs rune) and using Spirit Walk to GTFO out of bad situations you should be fine unless you're really trying to push it. From what I've played of them (which is limited) Crusader is probably a good option as well. On PC I'm grinding paragon a bit on my HC WD (up to 75 or so currently IIRC) and will eventually use those paragon levels to get a Crusader through HC to have a backup HC character, as well as knock out the other gender crusader achievement.

ZenaxPure

I pretty much agree fully, witch doctor is the safest bet for doing HC. They get their cheat death passive earlier than anyone (level 30) and pets are good for keeping enemies distracted in lower densities (though their damage is pretty crap until max level tbh).

When I deleted my hardcore characters I left my witch doctor in case I ever wanted to go back for achievements. Just makes the most sense.

Dahbomb

By the way they said that they played around the idea of having no crit hit damage in Seasons but they wanted Season 1 to be as close to home as possible.

I think that for future Seasons they will be trying something ballsy for Seasons so that it's a truly different experience from playing the normal version.

ZenaxPure

By the way they said that they played around the idea of having no crit hit damage in Seasons but they wanted Season 1 to be as close to home as possible.

I think that for future Seasons they will be trying something ballsy for Seasons so that it's a truly different experience from playing the normal version.

This is what I hope going forward to be honest. Seasons are a great place to experiment and come up with weird ideas since even if they are fucked up, it's fucked up for everyone from the start.

But, it makes sense for the first season to be relatively normal. Especially with how much the game is changing in 2.1 (I still stand by that 2.1 is changing more than 2.0 ever changed the game). I'd also say it's 99.9% likely that most seasons will not be tied to a patch, so it would make sense to try and mix other things up for a new experience.

Shifty76

I think my absolute favourite part of their Tavern thing was when they explained why they chose to buff Sunwuko over Raiment set for monks:

"We were much more likely to go in and take action if the "best" set also involves hitting one button as fast as you can to do omnidirectional damage...Then we're just going to be like, 'Yeah, that's...we can't have that be the best way to play.'"

Boy am I glad that playing Sunwuko specs doesn't involve mashing any one button over and over and over to do dmg. Oh, wait...

Do we have a :rolleyes: emoticon in this place?

iirate

I think my absolute favourite part of their Tavern thing was when they explained why they chose to buff Sunwuko over Raiment set for monks:

Boy am I glad that playing Sunwuko specs doesn't involve mashing any one button over and over and over to do dmg. Oh, wait...

Do we have a :rolleyes: emoticon in this place?

I see people arguing that SWK can compliment any build that likes generating and spending spirit, but that argument has some very big holes. First, your SWK build isn't optimal without SW and a Mantra. Second, and more importantly, the reason it "compliments" so many builds is because nothing else the monk does matters anyways. The damage of all of our skills, generator or spender, is pathetic, so all that really matters is how fast you can make and spend spirit to proc clones.

If SWK is ever going to be a successful set, they need to rebalance WoL and LTK. As it is, they do far too little to justify not hitting with your generator and making more spirit. Right now we just don't care about how our spirit is spent - how fast we spend it is all that matters.

I just don't get it. It's like they set out to balance things in 2.1, then remembered that balance is hard and threw some bandaids on the classes. In the case of the monk, those bandaids were made to compensate for the ones they ripped off(OWE and EP).

The thing that really confuses me though, is that they did such a good job of fixing crusaders, in a single patch at that, and without a bunch of different failed iterations on the PTR. Why can't we have that team back instead of the team that made the original Crusader?

Dahbomb

Nah Sunwoko has you pressing more than one button at a time.

At least you have to be pressing your Generator plus your Mantra button... sometimes even your SW for the Spirit dump.

ZenaxPure

The thing that really confuses me though, is that they did such a good job of fixing crusaders, in a single patch at that, and without a bunch of different failed iterations on the PTR. Why can't we have that team back instead of the team that made the original Crusader?

Opposite situation. The crusader items were already awesome, their skills were just that far behind. Once they brought up the skills the items complimented them. Monk doesn't have the items to support it yet (along with most classes).

SWK is fairly similar to Leapquake (before they nerfed it, though this will return in 2.1), you can use whatever skills you want with it because 90% of the damage is coming from the set bonus. There were viable builds for Leapquake that used HoTA, WW, and even Ancient Spear. It just didn't matter because it was simply a thing to do until leap came off cooldown, the damage of those attacks were basically irrelevant (which is why it wasn't a big deal when they made it near impossible to use other damaging skills with the set).

Maybe someday the rest of us will get items that make our abilities useful, just have to keep waiting. I hope season 2 will have some good stuff in it, but, impossible to know.

Dahbomb

Crusader has among the best itemization in the game. Almost every skill has a powerful Legendary attached to it.

Compared to Monk who has no Legendary for skills like Cyclone Strike, Serenity or Epiphany. Monks only just recently got Legendaries for Mystic Ally and Sweeping Wind. Honestly I would include stuff like Inner Sanctuary too because that Polearm that summons a random Inner Sanctuary is garbage and in no buffs your current equipped IS (any class can use this weapon).

Characters like DH have it worse. No Legendaries for Multishot, Impale, Caltrops, Preparation, Vengeance, Cluster Arrow etc.

ZenaxPure

Characters like DH have it worse. No Legendaries for Multishot, Impale, Caltrops, Preparation, Vengeance, Cluster Arrow etc.

This is exactly my point, most classes have it really shitty with items. Under current design items are what make you stronger, not the skill itself. That is why it is impossible to "rebalance" something like LTK by buffing the damage, it doesn't mean jack shit in current design until it gets an item that makes it super OP (which while it does have a legendary item right now it's pretty much shit on live servers relatively speaking).

Barbarian and demon hunter are probably tied for the worst when it comes to items though. Neither class has a single legendary that increases the damage of their damaging abilities. The live version of GNK is better than any similar item both barbarians and demon hunters have currently. Just think about that for a second.

More to my point though, if RoS would have launched without leapquake and marauder both barbarian and demon hunter would be bottom tier classes and not even competitive. I realize that is a hypothetical because the game did actually launch with those sets, but, my point is the items for the classes are so bad that those are the only things that keep us in the game.

It appears my all-time favorite "purple rain" arcane torrent build isn't as sustainable as I hoped it would be past T4.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DreamVisions-1571/hero/3314095

Might feel more viable when I get a couple of pieces of that Vyrs or Phoenix set (and their associated bonuses), but idk. The biggest issue was/is the need to stand still, but not being able to kill quickly enough to offset the damage coming in. Of course, I don't have and never have had any cool rings like SoJ and I'm going to have to start farming an int RoRG, so I have yet to find a proper ring upgrade. Upgrading is hard.

Will upgrading my Asheras pieces and rings fix my problem, or am I going to have to gut my build? I'm thinking maybe it'd be worth it to try to get a proper Mirrorball and spec'ing magic missile as my primary, which would at least allow me to kite and still deal lots of damage in situations where I can't simply afk channel Arcane Torrent.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So can anyone explain blood shards? I just reached 500 and the chicks most expensive is 20 shards.

It's gambling. You use blood shards to buy a random item of a certain type and hope RNGesus blesses you with the unique or set item you are after.

Celegus

It's gambling. You use blood shards to buy a random item of a certain type and hope RNGesus blesses you with the unique or set item you are after.

The cheaper stuff is definitely better to start with, go for the 5 shard items (armor, off hand items) first. There's no point in saving them up, spend 'em all! Don't buy bracers though, they're mostly all trash and Aughild's/Reaper's you can craft are better most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom