• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesmokey

Fair enough.

Since Firebird builds are the hottest new thing, I think I'm going to go with a lightning stun build to spice up the variety. It'll involve Paralysis, Aether Walker, Teleport with the Calamity rune, Wyrdward (which I recently all salvaged lol), Ancient Partan Defenders, the gems that stun and possibly Taeguk (since Teleport will now spend arcane power) or Hoarder with Goldwrap. I just need a good main attack that does lightning damage...
Use Cosmic Strand so that you get a free Wormhole rune + Calamity. I used that for bounty farming and it was pretty fun.

After my experience with RoS though, you can only really make any headway with Shard of Hate in a lightning build (Shock Pulse no rune). Not sure if they ever fixed that proc.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
is there an eu community/clan.

also have most of you guys switched over to seasons now ?

Firemind

Use Cosmic Strand so that you get a free Wormhole rune + Calamity. I used that for bounty farming and it was pretty fun.

After my experience with RoS though, you can only really make any headway with Shard of Hate in a lightning build (Shock Pulse no rune). Not sure if they ever fixed that proc.

Never had a Shard of Hate drop before.

Does Myken's Ball of Hate make Eletrocute into a decent spammable attack? People only ever talk about MM Conflagrate and Mirrorball.

Xanathus

Exactly. I used to be in the guild but didn't play for a few months and got kicked. Now that the patch hit and I'm playing again I've been relegated to com chat only, and let me tell you it's a dead zone. Very little talk, can;t find groups, I've actually been playing randoms because what other choice do I have? I've even been looking into joining other guilds because GAF community chat is dead.

Sorry Xanathus, you can't see it because you are lucky to be in the guild. It's lonely on the outside.

I understand the problem and the solution is just to encourage clan members to participate more in community. You're still going to have to ask for people to party up in community chat regardless of whether a clan exists or not and disbanding it won't solve the issue at all. Also it's not exactly like the clan is being a super exclusive club where everyone is having a good time playing in parties all the time, the clan is pretty dead currently since more than half the members are inactive even after 2.1 came out. Players being split between season and non-season have also made the problem worse.

What is going to happen if the clan is disbanded is that another clan will be made to replace it and the problem will be back to square one.

Which difficulty are you doing it at? I've gotten a 100% leg drop rate at T6 today (around 7-8 bounty bags), so I can't really speak for the lower difficulties.
T1 :( and i'm already taking so much time killing a boss ... Also my damage is shit .. I know i should be farming legendaries and putting gems on my slots already and etc but i can't even killllllll ;_;

StMeph

T1 :( and i'm already taking so much time killing a boss ... Also my damage is shit .. I know i should be farming legendaries and putting gems on my slots already and etc but i can't even killllllll ;_;

Didn't you just hit 70? You don't magically go from Master -> T6 -> GR30+ in a day.

Start by making crafted gear like rare jewelry and Aughild's, Reaper's, etc. Reroll that stuff to be more optimal. You should be able to get from T1 to T3 or T4 using only craftable items. Obviously you still need recipes to drop if you don't have any, but that's really a matter of time. A1 bounties and rifts should provide plenty of upgrades.

joesmokey

Does Myken's Ball of Hate make Eletrocute into a decent spammable attack? People only ever talk about MM Conflagrate and Mirrorball.

I tried it and ended up using Firebird's source even when I was lightning, lol. The problem is Electrocute is a poor resource generator.

Ayumi

There are a lot of generous GAFers who play D3, I'm sure someone wouldn't mind helping you through, or inviting you for free bounty bags. :3 You can add me if you want! Sometimes I do runs with only 3 people so we can invite you for picking up the bag whenever it's possible.

Didn't you just hit 70? You don't magically go from Master -> T6 -> GR30+ in a day.

Start by making crafted gear like rare jewelry and Aughild's, Reaper's, etc. Reroll that stuff to be more optimal. You should be able to get from T1 to T3 or T4 using only craftable items. Obviously you still need recipes to drop if you don't have any, but that's really a matter of time. A1 bounties and rifts should provide plenty of upgrades.
I have some aughild parts and probably do need more recipes ... Not rushing really to go to t6 or even gr30+ it's just that my gear is probably shit and should've farm

About the aughilds set .. Seems it's only for lvl 42 and stuff but does it upgrade it to a lvl70 gear when i make it ?

I have some aughild parts and probably do need more recipes ... Not rushing really to go to t6 or even gr30+ it's just that my gear is probably shit and should've farm

About the aughilds set .. Seems it's only for lvl 42 and stuff but does it upgrade it to a lvl70 gear when i make it ?

There are two Aughild's sets, one is lvl 42 and the other is 70:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/aughilds-triumph
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/aughilds-power

eek5

I'm ok with just purging inactive people. Losing leaderboards seems like a waste. People that get demoted to community should understand.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm ok with just purging inactive people. Losing leaderboards seems like a waste. People that get demoted to community should understand.

But...that sucks for us who got kicked and can't get back in?

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think I need a more casual friendly guild than GAF. o_O

There are a lot of generous GAFers who play D3, I'm sure someone wouldn't mind helping you through, or inviting you for free bounty bags. :3 You can add me if you want! Sometimes I do runs with only 3 people so we can invite you for picking up the bag whenever it's possible.

oh man....is that okay with you guys...

some gaf people already helped me get to lvl70 especially braun and the other gaffer (sorry if i don't remember your name)

what's your battlenet?

here's mine add me up if you guys do runs and etc
AldzDrakul#1229

Dahbomb

Another perk for having Clan is that it's easy to know who is in game and who has full party/open slot. You can't do that on Community unless you Friend everyone in Community.

Also the coveted "NeoGAF" clan tag. Nah man I am against completely removing the Clan, there are enough upsides to have it up.

Honestly I would take over clan duty myself if the choice is "run yourself or disband clan".

Celegus

Another perk for having Clan is that it's easy to know who is in game and who has full party/open slot. You can't do that on Community unless you Friend everyone in Community.

That's the other thing... I hate playing solo and I'm certainly not going anywhere near public games. For me, it's GAF or bust and I'll end up quitting entirely if it's too hard to find games to join. Is there even a way to check the roster of who is online in a community and what type of game they're in? There's plenty of people in the clan that don't respond to a "looking for a T6 group" message, but will happily (I hope!) let me join if I send them a direct message.

Dahbomb

That's because most people aren't reading the clan/community chat while playing (they might only have the Party chat up) where as the Invite sign is hard to miss in game. Almost everyone let's another Gaffer in if there's a slot.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
That's the other thing... I hate playing solo and I'm certainly not going anywhere near public games. For me, it's GAF or bust and I'll end up quitting entirely if it's too hard to find games to join. Is there even a way to check the roster of who is online in a community and what type of game they're in? There's plenty of people in the clan that don't respond to a "looking for a T6 group" message, but will happily (I hope!) let me join if I send them a direct message.

You can type /who and shift-click names in chat to get some status info, but it's not as good as the friends list or roster.

ZenaxPure

But...that sucks for us who got kicked and can't get back in?

Alright, I want to bite on this. I have a question for you: How do you deal with this problem? It's obviously not as apparent to you as you haven't been playing consistently over the past few months, but here is the conundrum the rest of us have been dealing with every few weeks:

Problem a) The clan tools have no dating feature. It is impossible to see the last time someone was online and playing D3 from just looking at the roster. Who do you suggest we kick to make room for you?

Problem b) Player activity. There is a very real cycle that has been occurring for months now fairly consistently. People come to the thread asking for a clan invite -> we invite them -> they stop playing after a few weeks (or in some cases less than a week) -> more people come asking for a clan slot. Given what you know with problem A how do also deal with problem B as well?

That said, I find it easy to understand why people jumping back in are asking for a clan invite. This is absolutely 100% a perception thing. If you are one of the people who have been following the thread for a long period of time you obviously know what problems we face, if you are a random dude who only comes to the thread when there is a new patch or something then obviously this all seems new. Thing is though, this isn't. This is probably like the 5th time I've typed a response like this, every 3 weeks or so we have this same damn conversation except the people asking "why can't you make room in the clan for me?" are different every.single.time.

This whole thing would be a lot easier if people would be honest with themselves and other GAFers. If you don't see yourself playing the game a month from now, then please don't make Raticus' life even harder by trying to get a clan slot, it's very selfish.

MrDaravon

^We have probably had at least one person per page or so for weeks now ask for clan invites, even though it was posted repeatedly what the situation was. There are a few folks who used to be in then got booted that I think have a pretty legitimate gripe, but I think most folks are just coming in new or after several months and not paying attention.

Also yeah, I think if you could see open games from people in the Community that would probably solve my only real gripe if we were going to disband the clan. Don't care at all about clan leaderboards (I'd only be losely interested in a Paragon Level leaderboard, but those don't exist at an overall or Clan level), and I already usually have item notifications turned off since if people are actually on it's usually just getting spammed as-is.

Dahbomb

Here would be my system for Clan.

*Purge current Clan and start new one with the same name.

New rules for being in Clan:
*AT LEAST Paragon 200
*Completed Greater Rift 25 or higher (groups or solo, doesn't matter)
*Gotten 2000+ Achievement points
*Must have been active for at least 1 month prior to requesting for Clan invite. After being in Clan, player gets kicked out for being inactive for 2 months (these values are subject to change of course)
*If accepted into Clan then you must also add the Clan Leader or Vice Leader as a Friend. This is the only way to track activity of a player.

Clan Leader will periodically update list by removing inactive users based on Friends list. I would say inactive users for 2 months should definitely be booted.

The semi stringent application process makes it so that not everyone just starting up the game will be in the Clan. If you are on GAF then you should be familiar with hard to get in processes as GAF is already one of the hardest forums to get into! This will cut down a lot of the early rush. The Friend invite thing will allow Clan member to regulate clan member activity.

The only caveat to this is that there are 150 clan members and a member can have 100 friends. That means a Vice president will have to be in place to add the rest of the 50. Makes things to manage between two people as well.

ZenaxPure

*If accepted into Clan then you must also add the Clan Leader as a Friend. This is the only way to track activity of a player.

Don't think this would actually work though? The friend list is for Bnet not D3, I see plenty of my friends that haven't touched D3 in a while playing hearthstone and WoW.

Dahbomb

Don't think this would actually work though? The friend list is for Bnet not D3, I see plenty of my friends that haven't touched D3 in a while playing hearthstone and WoW.

Well fuck...

Back to square one then. :/

It's fucking ridiculous that there's no way to track activity.

ZenaxPure

Well fuck...

Back to square one then. :/

It's fucking ridiculous that there's no way to track activity.

Yeah, best I can tell just looking at my personal friends list is no real way to track D3 activity specifically.

And yes, the clan features are fairly embarrassing. I don't understand how WoW, a game from the same company, had better guild features when it launched 10 years ago than what D3 has now.

Dahbomb

It's not for Seasons man... it's for regular. You are more than qualified for that and so are most people on GAF.

If it was for Seasons then I would not be on the Clan myself!

MrDaravon

Okay, serious suggestion on how to handle clan stuff. I'm not good at articulating things sometimes, so let me know if this makes sense or not:

Ratticus and others have been posting for a good while now that a clan purge was coming a week after 2.1, so at this point I feel that it's more than fair for that to actually occur. Make a definitive post in this thread and in the Clan board that anyone who doesn't verify by say this coming Monday (9/8/14) or so will get booted. Individual exceptions can maybe be made for people we know are active but just away at the moment etc, but I don't know how many (if any) of those are out there. We then purge inactive people on Monday (or whenever). It's probably close either way, but I have a feeling we could probably squeeze most or all of the people who actually want into the clan in.

Moving forward: as we know the primary issue is that neither in-game or on bnet can you really track user activity. In-game just shows last login date, and bnet I think shows an update date of the last time they logged in or maybe even when someone last looked at that profile. In any case it's not really accurate, and has been the main stumbling block here. What we can do and I am willing to do is expand a bit on the community spreadsheet Raticus has built. It already has bnet profile links (which I figured I'd have to get manually, so that's great), and what I would propose is myself or Raticus or whoever would start monitoring bnet profiles on a 30 day window for paragon level activity to gauge if people are playing or not. People would get one 30 day grace period with no activity before being then purged on the next "cycle". For paragon level activity I'd suggest something very minimal like maybe 3-5 paragon levels, since even at very high levels that is very minimal effort and time.

Example:

-Let's say clan purge occurs 9/8.
-10/1 I would go in and add or build a sheet listing out everyone's softcore and hardcore paragon levels on that date. Given that the purge and additions just occurred, I wouldn't suggest doing any purging on this cycle, but people who have had no activity since joining would get a flag. That's probably highly unlikely on this first pass however.
-11/1 I would go in, and anyone who was flagged on the 10/1 pass and still didn't have whatever minimal activity decided upon (the 3-5 para levels etc) would be purged. At this point realistically we would probably start to see inactivity between 10/1 and 11/1 on some folks, who would then get flagged.
-12/1 folks flagged on the 11/1 pass with still no minimal activity get purged.

I could also throw in achievement score on there as well, but I'm not sure if there's a way to see that on bnet? Also instead of 30 day windows we could potentially do purges midmonth instead so you'd have a grace period of 45 days of inactivity instead of 60, etc. I think realistically even the folks that are very active in the clan but sometimes take longer breaks very rarely if ever have gone more than 45-60 days without logging in or playing at all. There's probably only a few edge cases like that I can even think of where people have gone in extremely hard for periods of time then come back after a long hiatus, so if nothing else we could also maybe entertain a rule where if your paragon level is super high (like 500+, of which I think we only have a few in the clan) you maybe get a longer or indefinite grace period?

tl;dr I'm willing to manually check people's paragon levels as a sign of activity every 30 days or whatever.

Raticus79

Thanks ZenaxPure, you've been a lot of help along the way.

I'll see if the leadership's around so I can get my alt accounts into the overflow clans and see where things are at. We should be fine with the main one (relatively strict) and one overflow (more laid back) without too much pain.

Regarding tracking activity: The best thing I've found is d3rockstars.com, which tracks differences in paragon level over time. That's what the history links on the spreadsheet go to. e.g. http://d3rockstars.com/lookup/raticus79-1110/
The annoying part is it doesn't work for seasonal characters. Not sure if they'll fix that - it shows the paragon levels but doesn't do the tracking.

Dahbomb

For paragon level activity I'd suggest something very minimal like maybe 3-5 paragon levels, since even at very high levels that is very minimal effort and time.
That's a good idea in theory but the problem is that some players on GAF have almost 600 Paragon points and just because they didn't gain a single Paragon point in one month doesn't mean they were not playing.

In addition, some players will be playing Seasons or will be making new Seasonal characters until that time so even if they didn't get Paragon points on their main accounts they probably were regular players.

Like for example... I have not gained Paragon points on my main account for 2-3 weeks now because I have mostly been playing PTR 2.1 and the Season.

JayHayabusa

You get to see what friends are playing. So having them as such will let you track their activities on a basic level. It s a lot to keep track of but doable.

ZenaxPure

What we can do and I am willing to do is expand a bit on the community spreadsheet Raticus has built. It already has bnet profile links (which I figured I'd have to get manually, so that's great), and what I would propose is myself or Raticus or whoever would start monitoring bnet profiles on a 30 day window for paragon level activity to gauge if people are playing or not. People would get one 30 day grace period with no activity before being then purged on the next "cycle". For paragon level activity I'd suggest something very minimal like maybe 3-5 paragon levels, since even at very high levels that is very minimal effort and time.

Raticus actually did have paragon level gain in the spreadsheet in the past, but, it's not there anymore. Dunno what the issue was or if it was just too hard to keep track of or what (or if it was a different spreadsheet?). He would have to elaborate.

Raticus79

Raticus actually did have paragon level gain in the spreadsheet in the past, but, it's not there anymore. Dunno what the issue was or if it was just too hard to keep track of or what (or if it was a different spreadsheet?). He would have to elaborate.

The columns with the levels weren't necessary because the same info was available through the history links. Trying to cut down on the data entry.

I'll see if I can spin something up with the API.

As Dahbomb mentioned, this approach has problems once paragon levels get up there.

MrDaravon

Regarding Seasons, it'll be more annoying but I can check in-game through the clan listing on individual profiles what their seasonal paragon levels are as well. PTR I have no idea about, but to be honest I'd assume any folks who are playing PTR are active and into the game enough that they're posting here anyway and could verify that way.

Also as an additional field on the spreadsheet I can list number of elite kills from bnet for an additional piece of verification, but that'll only work if the site is including seasonal kills in that or not (no idea). Or if I'm checking in-game for the seasons stuff I can just pull a piece or two of information off the profile (like blood shards or bounties done, etc).

Strider

Here would be my system for Clan.

*Purge current Clan and start new one with the same name.

New rules for being in Clan:
*AT LEAST Paragon 200
*Completed Greater Rift 25 or higher (groups or solo, doesn't matter)
*Gotten 2000+ Achievement points

Well damn. Despite putting in over 200 hours since RoS launched I still wouldn't be worthy. Gaf clan too hardcore for me if this is what it takes.

Raticus79

Ah, good idea, elite kills would definitely show movement more easily for high paragon players.

Paragon levels should be good enough for seasonal characters for a while. Hopefully Blizzard will sort out showing seasonal details on profiles by then.

For any devs in the crowd, here's the new API info page:
https://dev.battle.net/io-docs

Edit: yup, all registered and ready to nerd it up.
"paragonLevel": 125,
"seasonal": true,
"name": "Spring",
"id": 51771344,
"level": 70,
"hardcore": false,
"gender": 1,
"dead": false,
"class": "demon-hunter",
"last-updated": 1409814724
"kills": {
"monsters": 1472989,
"elites": 76607,
"hardcoreMonsters": 651
},

Strider

I seriously doubt that... which one of those things wouldn't you qualify for?

I wouldn't qualify for any of them.

I'm paragon 147(?). My greater rift completion is 18-ish and I don't go for achievements so I have no idea what my achievement points are.

I just got D3 this year. It's tough to qualify for those requirements when other people have been working on paragon levels for a couple years now (didn't they add paragon lvls a couple months after launch?) as opposed to me who's been gaining them for just a few months.

ZenaxPure

I seriously doubt that... which one of those things wouldn't you qualify for?

Dunno about him specifically but the GR 25 thing seems steep for some of the clan. GR 25 is T6 (at least according to the internet) and I've said this before, but, most people didn't really make it to T6 before they burned out and quit playing. If you look at the clan leaderboards, ignoring Demon Hunter, the vast majority of people have not reached GR 25 solo (and I don't really think the group thing is a fair metric for measurement because of class composition and shit.)

Also on the bnet profile side of things... it seems like you can FINALLY see your seasonal paragon level at least. Every time I had checked over the past few days until a few minutes ago my seasonal character had my normal paragon level listed.

Dahbomb

I'm paragon 147(?). My greater rift completion is 18-ish and I don't go for achievements so I have no idea what my achievement points are.

I just got D3 this year. It's tough to qualify for those requirements when other people have been working on paragon levels for a couple years now (didn't they add paragon lvls a couple months after launch?) as opposed to me who's been gaining them for just a few months.
I don't know man, I saw Kripparian playing and he got close to Paragon 200 on Seasons by just playing 50 hours. Granted he plays at an accelerated rate and got mad lucky with drops (plus he plays DH) but still it doesn't take that long to get to P200 or get those achievements points.

If you have played the game for 200 hours then you should've reached those milestones by now.

Anyway the rules were an example... if they are too stringent then they can be scaled back of course.

GR 25 is T6 (at least according to the internet) and I've said this before, but, most people didn't really make it to T6 before they burned out and quit playing.
Yeah like I said it was just an example... these numbers could be scaled back.

Also getting to T6 now is much easier now in 2.1 than it was getting to T6 before when people quit. Since then they greatly buffed Legendary drop rates, Kadala, 2H buffs, LoH/armor changes/regen changes etc.

joesmokey

Not to give you a hard time, but how is this possible with 200+ hours? Was most of this afking in town? ~18 isn't even T5. I'm already Para 100+ on seasons, that's just after a long weekend of playing (light playing during the week).

Strider

I don't know man, I saw Kripparian playing and he got close to Paragon 200 on Seasons by just playing 50 hours. Granted he plays at an accelerated rate and got mad lucky with drops (plus he plays DH) but still it doesn't take that long to get to P200 or get those achievements points.

If you have played the game for 200 hours then you should've reached those milestones by now.

Anyway the rules were an example... if they are too stringent then they can be scaled back of course.

Well I play monk and get shit drops... I was always playing lower torment levels than people that put in similar time as me but were playing other classes.

Edit: I just looked. 148 hours and 19 minutes on my monk. Even with the 2.1 buffs I can only do T3...

But it turns out I do have the achievements covered. Never pay attention to that stuff though.

Dahbomb

Well these things are still being worked on and that was just a suggestion. Some way to lower clan members needs to be in though otherwise it would get full again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom