• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Mwahaha, I got Gungdo Gear on my PTR season monk. Doing big pulls in Fields of Misery and clearing a screen full of mobs at a time. It is beautiful.

Shifty76

Rift density fixes can't come soon enough. Was on track to clear GR37 solo crusader, when I got this map...

y8Dwwtq.jpg

There was a one pack of champions in all of this. Not even a single white normal monster. Over 2 minutes running around and only 4 enemies.

At least you got a pack. I traveled that entire outdoor A5 map with the rock pathways and there wasn't one enemy the entire map. Made it to the portal thinking I could make up lost time on the next map but the portal wasn't even accessable.

Waste of a rift stone.

Dahbomb

Crusader is in a decent place. Monk sorely needed yet another buff to get close to that level.

WD and wiz didn't get buffs...at least not until they fix the hydra that they broke anyway.
Well based on PTR performance, Monk has been about on par with WDs and Cru with the capability to clear GR48 and higher.

I do feel that Monks need buffs because this new set pretty much exposed that LTK is a weak skill overall. The new set also doesn't work as well with Tempest Rush (because you pass up enemies before getting the damage boost from the clones). And of course the Raiment set rework which we know is coming.

Raticus79

Well, here's my PTR pain item, lol.
X5NpjqC.png

*wistful sigh*

---

With Gungdo Gear, it looks like the lightning rune is a winner. It gets much better chain reactions going, clearing the whole room at once.

Xanathus

Welp I've confirmed that Julia no longer stops you from getting Jailed by jailer on live servers, but it still prevents the arcane damage. I wonder when they made that change.

Baliis

Welp I've confirmed that Julia no longer stops you from getting Jailed by jailer on live servers, but it still prevents the arcane damage. I wonder when they made that change.

It's always done that afaik. I kept getting killed on my dh because I'd get stuck in jailer instead of having awareness proc after I got my neck.

Raticus79

Got a few more people in the PTR clan and made everyone officers so join requests can be accepted if I'm not around.

Right now I'm running a build with no generator, just the incense torch with the big AoE wave of light, cindercoat and a whole lot of spirit regen. It's not bad! Feels a lot like Godzilla stomping around with Epiphany and one-shotting things.

Shifty76

Played a bit of ptr but quickly lost interest due to nothing carrying over.

Switched back to live to finish up my firebird wiz, and no sooner did I get the source and a 10% dmg roll on my sunkeeper then a furnace dropped for me. Not the greatest rolls, but it'll be around 3600 dps once I max out the dmg roll. Stuff melts fast now :D

Also, spent some time transmogging all my characters. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out:
Profile link if anyone is curious about the transmogs: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Shifty76-1953/hero/6639133

joesmokey

Playing the PTR really just highlights how awful the itemization is in this game. The vast majority of legs are unusable and with the reliance on 6 pc sets, even fewer are desirable.

With the 20% drop rate increase it's still impossible to get things like Stone of Jordans, amulets with usable stats, etc.

Really demoralizes the outlook for this game. They should just demote most of the worthless legs to rares to stop diluting the pool. There's no way they can make most things like Wormwood, Skorn, Zweihander, etc. worthwhile.

Dahbomb

They can easily make Legendaries worthwhile by adding affixes. It's not even that hard.

Crudest Boots went from being objectively the worst Legendary boots in the game too BiS for quite a few Monk builds.

Vigilante Belt used to be shit, now it's highly desirable in many CDR builds.

Vile Wards were insta salvaged but now they are a requirement for Barbs (although I would say this is the other extreme).

And so on. All those Legendaries can easily be made desirable with the right affix. Hell I will make up some for you:

Zweihander: Damage of Overpower increased by 40% for each enemy struck.

Extra Primary effect: Cooldown of Overpower decreased by 50%.

Of course for people to use this Blizzard needs to put out a set revolving around this skill which they haven't done.

Scourge: Your damage is increased by 10% for every Bleeding enemy around you.

Secondary effect: 70% chance to inflict bleeding for X amount of damage.

Will combo nicely with new Rend set + Pain Enhancer gem.

joesmokey

There's no way they would balance and test new affixes for all of the legendaries that need them though. I'd rather they just demote them to rares rather than leave them alone as worthless legs.

Dahbomb

They are never going to do that because if they make those items into Rares then they are wasting the art asset of the item.

What they are doing right now is fine, they are slowly adding new affixes to previously shit items. It's going to take a while for them to fix all but they are working towards it.

There will always be shit Legendaries though. Eventually there will be a time where if an item isn't Ancient of a very good Legendary (like Kridershot) then it's auto salvage. That's the reality of loot based games.

joesmokey

It's obviously not a likely scenario at this stage, but neither is them adding useful affixes in a respectable amount of time. Again, just shows how poor current itemization is even with all of the recent changes.

Popnbake

They are never going to do that because if they make those items into Rares then they are wasting the art asset of the item.

What they are doing right now is fine, they are slowly adding new affixes to previously shit items. It's going to take a while for them to fix all but they are working towards it.

There will always be shit Legendaries though. Eventually there will be a time where if an item isn't Ancient of a very good Legendary (like Kridershot) then it's auto salvage. That's the reality of loot based games.

*edit: Is there a list somewhere of those redone legendaries in 2.1.2?

Dahbomb

It's obviously not a likely scenario at this stage, but neither is them adding useful affixes in a respectable amount of time. Again, just shows how poor current itemization is even with all of the recent changes.
You realize when D3 launched 90%+ of Legendaries had no special affixes right?

In fact outside of sets I can't think of a single one that had anything special going for it. The best stuff was Helm of Command because it gave you block chance but that wasn't a unique affix. Now that was a time of insanely shit itemization.

They have come a long way since then and they are continuously adding more items or reworking old ones. Yeah there are a lot of crap items but there are a lot of good ones too now. I give credit where credit is due and I do believe that eventually all of the current Legendaries will have a unique affix (even if its not all that great).

Is there a list somewhere of those redone legendaries?
It's probably better to come up with a list of Legendaries that wasn't changed since launch.

Popnbake

In fact outside of sets I can't think of a single one that had anything special going for it. The best stuff was Helm of Command because it gave you block chance but that wasn't a unique affix. Now that was a time of insanely shit itemization.

They have come a long way since then and they are continuously adding more items or reworking old ones. Yeah there are a lot of crap items but there are a lot of good ones too now. I give credit where credit is due and I do believe that eventually all of the current Legendaries will have a unique affix (even if its not all that great).

It's probably better to come up with a list of Legendaries that wasn't changed since launch.

Oh, should have added updated my post for redone legendaries in 2.1.2.

I know skull grasp and broken crown are getting new affixes but the blizzard patch notes said several were being changed and I was wondering what else was there.

joesmokey

I realize you're arguing for the sake of arguing at this point, so this is the last I'll respond to this.

Yes, they made great strides with 2.0 and RoS. However, it also took them a very long time to get there. They're unfortunately not in a position to take as long a time to get to the next stage of where itemization needs to be. It's great that you can wait an eternity and have faith that they'll fix everything. However, I'd like great strides within the next 3 months, not the next year. Season 1 was fun to come back again and try out the first time. With nearly no meaningful changes for season 2, I'd wager most people aren't going to try gearing up fresh again.

Adding new sets in a future patch is definitely a good idea, but it does nothing but increase the size of the already huge legendary pool. It would be interesting for them to have meaningful 4 pc set bonuses to experiment with some of the more interesting legendary affixes that are actually in the game. For Wizards, with The Furnace you're really only looking at your belt, bracers, and jewelry as pieces you can swap out. For solo play, that actually becomes even less interchangeable factoring in Strongarm, Unity, SoJ, String of Ears or Witching Hour. With SS becoming relevant we get to free up another slot, however this realistically is just TnT.

Maybe you're fine with this itemization, but I'm tired of IDing ring after ring in the hopes of a better SoJ or amulets in the hope that an immunity one is actually usable. After awhile this just isn't fun anymore. The 20% bonus on PTR further shows how futile this is.

Anyway, that's enough of a rant on this poor itemization. I just wish I could freely switch between arcane, lightning, fire, or cold play styles without enormous penalties.

Dahbomb

The real problem with the game is that 6 piece set bonuses are too powerful and practically a requirement to play the game. Having that many set pieces on your character restricts your Legendary item usage as well as your Skills usage.

Itemization for this game has sucked for quite some time and it's not going to change dramatically in 3 months or any time before an expansion. Until that time they can at least add Legendary affixes to crap Legendaries to make them less crap.

dolemite

So I decided to try the "Wretched Mothers" farming strategy in Tristam and I get about 5 Legendary drops after 2 1/2 hours of hard work. Not too bad with one great ring drop and a shitload of maces. This is on Diablo 3, not the reaper of souls.

Tendo

This game is on sale digitally for Black Friday and I would like to gift it to a friend but there is no gift option? Is there anyway to gift a digital copy of the game?

Quenk

I'm thinking of getting in with that sale but I have a couple questions.

Should I bother getting the RoS expanison or it's fine to stick it out with the base game until the next sale (whenever that ends up being)?
Is there any sort of base game + expansion pack for PC or is that console only?

VoxPop

Any changes to the game in the past 2 months? Haven't touched it for a while and would go back if there was some new content.

robochimp

I'm thinking of getting in with that sale but I have a couple questions.

Should I bother getting the RoS expanison or it's fine to stick it out with the base game until the next sale (whenever that ends up being)?
Is there any sort of base game + expansion pack for PC or is that console only?

Get RoS, it really improves the game.

This is from a single T6 rift on the PTR. I'm sorry, but this is just silly. This actually steers me away from the game.
0CWBlry.jpg
the purpose of ptr is for testing and posting feedback and report bugs to blizzard. The insane drop rate is there to give you a chance to test as many items as you can.

Raticus79

J. Bravo

I found a 20% cold soj with 27%elite dmg, dex and resource reduction on my dh last night.

On ptr. 😢

I don't know if I can go through that again 😢. Although the new m6 is fucking dope once you get the hang of it. I have the quiver that makes chakram give hatred, so I can just spam the hell out of that and win. Charges on sentries is nice too. I was destroying t6 guardians in a matter of seconds. Max hatred out, empty with cluster arrows, repeat.

The PTR buff highlights how bad set gear is for this game. You also need the legendary that goes with it making it pretty much an 8 pc set leaving you with what left? bracers belts or whatever piece in your set you can swap with? Yeah the gear choice in this game is sad. They can't continue with this because they'll just increase the pool size and when ppl complain, "we heard you, that's why we DOUBLED the drop rate" again and again.

Deadly

I agree. While their goal was to make set items the strongest thing possible I think how strong and easy they are to obtain did make variety a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom