• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

honestly man. Blizzard has done Wizards wrong. I got some solid items up on my DH and there are no less than 3 elements I can build around and several items and off-hands i can use. Just about any 2H Bow, Crossbow or 1H bow are viable, as long as they roll with enough damage you can get up to GR40 as long as the rest of your gear is up to spec. Fire, Cold, or Physical. No problemo.

Compare with Wizards. Sunkeeper, Furnace, Sparker, or Maximus. That's it. No exceptions. Fire. No exceptions.

I don't understand the thinking behind constraining Wizards to only a Fire spec, and the hands-off hydra + blizzard setup. You barely even feel like you're playing the game as Wiz right now. At least with DH you feel like you're working for your food and it feels good. I'm sure Monks feel the same way. I've seen lightning and fire, and I assume physical is also an option.

It's like...you don't realize how limited your experience has been until you spend a bit of time with something else. Very unlikely I roll with Wiz again.

It all moves in a cycle. When Wizards were the hot shit back in the day of Shocknadoshards and subsequently, Woh builds, Monks and DH were not doing much in their own builds. Now that Monks and DHs got the attention they deserve, it feels like the Wizards haven't got much at all.

Yes, it has been mainly Fire-based builds ever since RoS launched and I think it needs to be fixed. However, I think the current Hydra + Blizzard build is way better than the old days of forcing the Wizard to be in melee range to exploit the power of Explosive Blast. The Wizard is a ranged class. She should be kiting all day long and not being in melee range, tanking hits like a Barb or Monk. Of course, I do want skills like Frozen Orb to be viable but at least we know that's coming with the new set items in 2.2.

To be fair he is what now paragon 1200? His ridiculous dex alone will carry him through most greater rifts. His streams are boring as fuck, how do you watch :p

I sometimes tune in just to see how his characters have progressed, but I much rather watch, say, Quin69. He seems like an awesome chap, and is much more entertaining.

It all moves in a cycle. When Wizards were the hot shit back in the day of Shocknadoshards and subsequently, Woh builds, Monks and DH were not doing much in their own builds. Now that Monks and DHs got the attention they deserve, it feels like the Wizards haven't got much at all.

Yes, it has been mainly Fire-based builds ever since RoS launched and I think it needs to be fixed. However, I think the current Hydra + Blizzard build is way better than the old days of forcing the Wizard to be in melee range to exploit the power of Explosive Blast. The Wizard is a ranged class. She should be kiting all day long and not being in melee range, tanking hits like a Barb or Monk. Of course, I do want skills like Frozen Orb to be viable but at least we know that's coming with the new set items in 2.2.
Sorry, that feels like bullshit to me. If the endgame was going to be ranged kiting, several skills across several elements should have been remade in order to allow several elements and elemental weapons to be viable. Fuck a frozen orb. Why couldn't firebird be more element-neutral like Marauders? Again, DH can roll fire, physical or cold with little difference between them. They're ranged and kiting too. Why are we stuck with one?

Syntek

Sorry, that feels like bullshit to me. If the endgame was going to be ranged kiting, several skills across several elements should have been remade in order to allow several elements and elemental weapons to be viable. Fuck a frozen orb. Why couldn't firebird be more element-neutral like Marauders? Again, DH can roll fire, physical or cold with little difference between them. They're ranged and kiting too. Why are we stuck with one?

He's right about the cycle thing though. It's unfortunate that Blizz can't seem to work on more than a couple classes at a time. They haven't touched Firebird much since it was re-introduced. And let's be honest, at the time, it worked well enough that most were willing to overlook the single-element deficiency. It's just that now Firebird has clearly fallen behind to all other classes, that being stuck with Fire sticks out like a sore thumb. But really though, making Firebird elemental neutral would not change much. The Fire cap is higher than all other elements, so if you are min/maxing, Fire would still end up the only way. So they'd either need to re-work the entire Firebird concept like they did with SWK and M6, or introduce a brand new 6pc set.

He's right about the cycle thing though. It's unfortunate that Blizz can't seem to work on more than a couple classes at a time. They haven't touched Firebird much since it was re-introduced. And let's be honest, at the time, it worked well enough that most were willing to overlook the single-element deficiency. It's just that now Firebird has clearly fallen behind to all other classes, that being stuck with Fire sticks out like a sore thumb. But really though, making Firebird elemental neutral would not change much. The Fire cap is higher than all other elements, so if you are min/maxing, Fire would still end up the only way. So they'd either need to re-work the entire Firebird concept like they did with SWK and M6, or introduce a brand new 6pc set.

As I said, I would have preferred they rework the concept than limit Wizards to 4 weapons and 1 fucking element. DH has 2-4 of each weapon type (1H bow, 1H crossbow, 2H crossbow), 2 offhands, and 3 elemental approaches you can go with. That's like 20 different weapon + offhand combinations multiplied by 3 elements multiplied by 3 or 4 setups within those elements that are all perfectly viable at GR40+. Meanwhile, we're throwing hydras and apocalype with the occasional time warp and blackhole. OK, Blizzard.

I guess after 200 hours or so on the season and getting back to my non-seasonal toons, I sort of forgot how many options everyone else seems to have. I'm a bit bitter at that. I realize their team has been gutted (or so I've read), but it barely feels like they tried. I see why most have rolled Monk/DH/Crusader. While they all have slightly more optimal setups, you can still get shit done at high GRs with multiple approaches and elements with those 3 classes from what I've seen.

ferr

Been experimenting with some new DH builds and I'm really liking Chakram with Spines quiver and M6.

- Spines quiver gives 3-4 hatred per Chakram (poor man's Krider, I guess) so you can spam it non-stop.
- M6 gives you 1) chakrams from each of your sentries and 2) increased chakram dmg per sentry.

I am using Twin Chakrams for this, but Serpentine may also be good. With Twin Chakrams and 3 sentries out, the screen fills up with Chakrams similarly to how a Ball Lightning build looks like with Meticulous Bolts. Really effective and fun. Haven't tried it in high GRs yet- tested in just GR30 and cleared in maybe 7 minutes. I also have LFB on the 4 key to send out semi-un-interrupting LFBs every so often (gotta spend the hatred on something..)

Is there any sort of calendar that shows when there will be events such as bonus experience? Or is it something they announce a few days in advance?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Been experimenting with some new DH builds and I'm really liking Chakram with Spines quiver and M6.

- Spines quiver gives 3-4 hatred per Chakram (poor man's Krider, I guess) so you can spam it non-stop.
- M6 gives you 1) chakrams from each of your sentries and 2) increased chakram dmg per sentry.

I am using Twin Chakrams for this, but Serpentine may also be good. With Twin Chakrams and 3 sentries out, the screen fills up with Chakrams similarly to how a Ball Lightning build looks like with Meticulous Bolts. Really effective and fun. Haven't tried it in high GRs yet- tested in just GR30 and cleared in maybe 7 minutes. I also have LFB on the 4 key to send out semi-un-interrupting LFBs every so often (gotta spend the hatred on something..)

I just got that quiver too. The quiver I'm currently using is the one that has hungering arrow penetrate more often, but the stats are practically perfect on it compared to the chakram quiver.

I'll have to try the chakram build and see what happens with it. Getting kind of bored with hungering arrow without a kridershot yet.

ElyrionX

I agree with all of that and I'm not sure why you seem to be arguing with me when we are saying the same thing lol.

Anyway let's be realistic here. This game generates virtually no revenue for Blizzard at the moment. We should be glad we are even getting updates outside of xpacs for now.

neoism

Watching Gabynator play DH and Monk makes my wiz feel like a wimp

;_;

I might just go DH or Monk for the hell of it

Wow 1200pl you should really watch Datmodz stream he is so entertaining and nice. plus every Friday he does Fuckedup Friday's and gets hammered and basically acts like a crazy person... Only d3 streamer worth watching...

MrDaravon

Wow 1200pl you should really watch Datmodz stream he is so entertaining and nice. plus every Friday he does Fuckedup Friday's and gets hammered and basically acts like a crazy person... Only d3 streamer worth watching...

Agreed. Sometimes I'll just have it on in the background, he usually plays good music and is usually pretty funny/chill. More for entertainment purposes though than educational if that's what you're looking for.

Syntek

Dropped from rank 10 to rank 26 in the closing week of Era 1 leaderboard, and somehow went back up to rank 20 today. Uhm thanks Blizzard for the free rank up, I guess?

Dropped from rank 10 to rank 26 in the closing week of Era 1 leaderboard, and somehow went back up to rank 20 today. Uhm thanks Blizzard for the free rank up, I guess?
I saw on reddit that there was a banwave for botters and they were completely dropped from leaderboards.

Robin64

Did S2 begin when S1 ended or is there a little wait?
Absolutely bored of Warlords of Draenor now and think I should return to D3.

Robin64

Sweet! Perfect, I have a three day weekend.
Gonna monk it up this time, never really gotten into monk before.
Kinda gutted I didn't finish S1 though, got to 55 and then other games sucked me away. Blizz have said the transmog set will be obtainable again later, at least, so it's not too bad.

IbukiLordSA

I am using Twin Chakrams for this

Running the same thing for the past 2 days, Kadala graciously gave me Ancient Spines, I'm currently able to complete grift 40 within the time limit with an Etrayu cold build.

Radec

I would love to play Monk again, but I'm not sure what to do with him on S2.

Last time I've played him was before RoS.

e5YuU.gif

Robin64

I think I'll be starting off with a hardcore character instead if this exploit isn't fixed by the times season 2 starts.

Man, yeah. S1 was basically just the first people to exploit the season within an hour of opening, and now we're potentially getting a repeat? I guess Blizz have a couple of days yet to hotfix it at least.

Xanathus

Man, yeah. S1 was basically just the first people to exploit the season within an hour of opening, and now we're potentially getting a repeat? I guess Blizz have a couple of days yet to hotfix it at least.

Actually I thought a bit more about the whole season leaderboard thing and I don't think I actually care about getting on the leaderboards anymore so I'll probably just be playing casually for next season. I might not even be there at the time that the season starts.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Hmmm, it seems like my 0 dog gear is worth lots of money. Maybe I should sell...

Yeah, I'd say so. Blizzard did say back during the RoS beta that if there was ever a situation where legacy gear was necessary to be the best, they'd fix it.

Sacrifice + final gift is used to supply demon hunters with health orbs for hatred, allowing nonstop cluster arrows.

Hmm. I have an old Homunculus on my WD that I played for about 2 hours before losing interest. Can I do this 0 dog thing? Or do I need more old gear than that?

Dreavus

I think I need to join the club of "people who need a Ring of Royal Grandeur".

What's the best way to farm this? Just doing Act 1 bounties on the highest difficulty I can manage? I know split farming was a thing a little while ago, but was it ever fixed in regards to cache drop rates?

RS4-

I think I need to join the club of "people who need a Ring of Royal Grandeur".

What's the best way to farm this? Just doing Act 1 bounties on the highest difficulty I can manage? I know split farming was a thing a little while ago, but was it ever fixed in regards to cache drop rates?

Pretty sure split farming is still fine, just depends on the difficulty and rng of the content.

Dreavus

Pretty sure split farming is still fine, just depends on the difficulty and rng of the content.

That's part of it. My main character isn't super well geared and I can only handle up to about torment IV (maybe V). Should I try and look for a Torment V group doing bounties all together, or bump it down to torment 1 (or less) and go for split farming?

I guess it all depends on how good the chances improve with the difficulty. I can't seem to find any data on that other than "they boosted cache legendary drops for Torment II - VI".

RS4-

That's part of it. My main character isn't super well geared and I can only handle up to about torment IV (maybe V). Should I try and look for a Torment V group doing bounties all together, or bump it down to torment 1 (or less) and go for split farming?

I guess it all depends on how good the chances improve with the difficulty. I can't seem to find any data on that other than "they boosted cache legendary drops for Torment II - VI".

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/2fep9m/hotfix_the_drop_rate_for_bountyspecific/

100% at t6 unless they changed that. You could try asking in the split farming channels (I don't remember the names off hand).. You could always try the GAF clan chat and see if someone is willing to help you do t6.

When I couldn't do t6 just yet, I actually did t4 and had quite the success with drop rates, maybe 90%; of course, rng and all.

honestly it's pretty hard to find a group that *isn't* split farming. I'd say find a group spit farming at the highest difficulty you can handle. spec for MOVEMENT. I'm not sure what class you're using but most classes have an item (or combination of items) that allow you to fly through maps to find and finish bounties.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/2fep9m/hotfix_the_drop_rate_for_bountyspecific/

100% at t6 unless they changed that. You could try asking in the split farming channels (I don't remember the names off hand).. You could always try the GAF clan chat and see if someone is willing to help you do t6.

When I couldn't do t6 just yet, I actually did t4 and had quite the success with drop rates, maybe 90%; of course, rng and all.

it's not 100%. I was farming a Pride's Fall for my DH and at least 25% of my bags had no legs at all. T6 of course.

Dreavus

Sounds like it's worth it to push the difficulty as high as possible though, so that's good to know. I remember split farming a little bit when it first became popular but I didn't know what changes were made to the whole thing.

I'm playing Wizard right now and I don't know if they have many speed buffs. I think maybe a lightning armor rune IIRC? I'm running force armor to help me survive so I'm not sure if I could afford to switch it out.

You sure it was T6..? I haven't had a single cache since that patch ages ago that didn't have a leg in it.

100% sure. Split farming for that hat. It's just an estimate to my best recollection, but I'd say about 20%-25% of my bags were flat-out empty. Just rares and gems and shit.

Maybe Act 3 bags don't have the 100% rule on them. Or maybe the 100% thing is bullshit. I can't say. But I can say for certain that I had several bags from Act 3 with no legs. It wasn't a big deal because those are like 5-8 minute runs when splitting, so it's not like lost time was a big deal.

kuYuri

Also keep in mind that you don't have to do the bounties with the character who needs the ring.

For example, I farmed a bunch of caches with my crusader, but got a RoRG with dex when I opened the cache with my monk.

My crusader is the best character for farming the bounties because they get around the fastest with steed charge + swiftmount. Once I'v collected a decent amount of caches, I open them with the character who needs said item.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to do the bounties with the character who needs the ring.

For example, I farmed a bunch of caches with my crusader, but got a RoRG with dex when I opened the cache with my monk.

My crusader is the best character for farming the bounties because they get around the fastest with steed charge + swiftmount. Once I'v collected a decent amount of caches, I open them with the character who needs said item.

That must be new. Back in the day, the bag rolled items based on what you were playing when you farmed them.

Good to know.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Apparently the latest no-kill quest is on the radar to be fixed before S2. From the Tavern Talk: https://www.reddit.com/live/ue5zxe06aw2n
"4 hours ago
The Aleric quest will be fixed. You can calm down now, Twitch Chat." - Thunderclaww

Edit: Yup, here it is in the pending hotfixes.
"Reducing the amount of experience and gold gained upon subsequent completions of the quest 'The Broken Blade.' Gold and experience gained on first completion will remain unchanged."
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/15698856044?page=1#6

Lots more in there.

"Looks like they like that people are actually using Rubies with the "xp bug" in their helms."
- interesting. Maybe they'll keep the "bug" and make it a multiplier outside GR.

On legacy 0-dog gear:
"They don't want to remove legacy items, but they want to make new items that are better."
Hope people managed to sell those off in time.

joesmokey

Well I think I'm actually coming back for season 2. Will be a good excuse to try to get some of the new ancients while getting the rest of the gear. Farming ancients alone is a little dry.

Acidote

Another Ramaladni for the non season characters.

And ready to jump on season 2, although I'm considering jumping from Wizard to EZ mode Demon Hunter. I'm tired of feeling so neglected, things are MUCH easier with my DH than with my much better geared Wizard.

Xanathus

Another Ramaladni for the non season characters.

And ready to jump on season 2, although I'm considering jumping from Wizard to EZ mode Demon Hunter. I'm tired of feeling so neglected, things are MUCH easier with my DH than with my much better geared Wizard.

DH isn't really EZ mode now since you have to actually click on stuff, and even time your clicks to the appropriate moments. Monks can just use autohotkey or that other keyboard trick to spam sweeping winds or whatever that skill is for Taeguk stacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom