• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
When does the latest patch drop?

My buddy was telling me he's super addicted for some reason now to Diablo 3 ever since season 2 started and I told him I am as well. There's just something about this second season that's making the game more fun than it was before.

Then we started talking about how this game is very similar to World of Warcraft raids/dungeons, but just on a smaller scale. It's one of the things I always wished would happen with WoW, smaller dungeons that don't take over and hour to complete, Diablo 3's rifts satisfy that niche, the rifts are just long enough to complete and then fire up another, hoping to get epic loot!

On top of that, you don't have to wait for anyone to do a rift in Diablo 3, unlike WOW, you can solo rifts/greater rifts if you like.

Trying to max out disc would be wasted slots anyway I think. Reaching 70-80 shouldn't be too hard but then reaching out with suboptimal pieces for +10 disc (so like +12% total damage) is probably not the best idea

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
When does the latest patch drop?

Unfortunately, we are dealing with Blizzard Time (TM). Coupled with Blizz stating they do not want to patch during seasons, I would say it will probably be a couple of months.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been able to get on the EU PTR, it constantly has a 1 hour 55 minute queue time to create a game, I left it open while playing Dead Island and it didn't move at all during that time.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Unfortunately, we are dealing with Blizzard Time (TM). Coupled with Blizz stating they do not want to patch during seasons, I would say it will probably be a couple of months.

Oh damn...after season 2? I thought it was going to drop during season 2...well crap, I was really looking forward to the new randomized dungeons.

Grampasso

Trying to max out disc would be wasted slots anyway I think. Reaching 70-80 shouldn't be too hard but then reaching out with suboptimal pieces for +10 disc (so like +12% total damage) is probably not the best idea
Yes, in the end probably it's not worth sacrificing the Unity ring for Nat one. But having a cloak with disc (no matter if Nat or any unique) instead of Hallowed chest would be a net DPS increase and I don't see why not going for it. It would be a nice change having a different spec to play with instead of the Sentry build everyone else is using

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Oh damn...after season 2? I thought it was going to drop during season 2...well crap, I was really looking forward to the new randomized dungeons.

Yeah man it's a bummer. I really like the look of some of the new set/legendary effects and want to roll with them asap.

MrDaravon

Pretty sure they said they weren't going to drop any patches mid-season. This is only surprising because I don't think anyone was expecting this PTR anytime soon. Which is good since that's plenty of time to beta test and get stuff tweaked, but also bad because now it cannabalizes Season 2 play a bit and just makes people salty this stuff won't be on Live for probably at least 2 months, likely longer.

Anoregon

I can't find a non-huge pic of the Corrupted Ashbringer to post, but god damn do i need it.

After the 5 summoned skeletons explode and it becomes ashbringer, you temporarily do 6000% bonus holy damage.

Krassus

Pretty sure they said they weren't going to drop any patches mid-season. This is only surprising because I don't think anyone was expecting this PTR anytime soon. Which is good since that's plenty of time to beta test and get stuff tweaked, but also bad because now it cannabalizes Season 2 play a bit and just makes people salty this stuff won't be on Live for probably at least 2 months, likely longer.

Someone posted a blue link saying that the patch might hit mid season yesterday.

Interesting. I must say, the updates in this patch have certainly taken the sheen off of Season 2, and the season is only a couple of weeks old. Seems like if this is a patch they can manage sooner rather than later, they should add it sooner and just add another month or 2 to the season. Feels like the patch people have been hoping for, opening up end-game to multiple build paths for each class. That's all people ever wanted. At this point, I feel like I'd only be playing Diablo to get key ancient items in anticipation for this update that may be months away. :(

Dahbomb

Here's a Wizard GR38 run through with a Tal's build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldDpyybXaUc

Looks like I'll have to learn to love this set. Watch how the RG melts...
This type of stuff is expected if you did the math (the 75% bonus is multiplicative so at full stacks you are doing 9x damage). Even if it requires you to use some extra skills the damage pay out is worth it. But he is really exploiting the new Focus/Restraint combo well by using stuff that costs very little like Hydra to keep the skills output. This might get looked at by Blizzard.

The main problem here is survivability especially with Focus/Restraint. At GR38 he is almost getting one shotted by stuff.

Here's a Wizard GR38 run through with a Tal's build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldDpyybXaUc

Looks like I'll have to learn to love this set. Watch how the RG melts...

Damn, and I have far better Rasha's gear than he has here, an Ancient SS and some other goodies.

I just need those OP boots. Will Focus and Restraint be changed retroactively? Or will we need to find new ones of those. I have a set that I'm not using that I saved for a rainy day.

Also, it's nice to see them moving away from a dependence on RoRG, Unity and SoJ. Or, at least having options. Seeing 2.5 billion crits without any of those rings just feels good. Options are good.

As for his build...it was okay I guess. I would have substituted explosive blast for the lightning black hole for some CC. Also, Arcane mines are far superior if you plan on moving constantly. They also do incredible damage. Very underrated arcane torrent rune, imo. Considering he had no time to sit and channel the arcane torrent rune he selected, it would have been a much better choice. Even Arcanot Familiar would have been more useful up to the RG.

Dahbomb

Those rings are changed retroactively.

Also that video showcased that Blizzard desperately needs to put in better standalone Shoulders in the game. The only good Shoulder is Vile Ward. That person is using a naked Firebird shoulder because he can't use anything else (he needs Steady Strikers for the attack speed).

joesmokey

Also, it's nice to see them moving away from a dependence on RoRG, Unity and SoJ. Or, at least having options. Seeing 2.5 billion crits without any of those rings just feels good. Options are good.

As for his build...it was okay I guess. I would have substituted explosive blast for the lightning black hole for some CC. Also, Arcane mines are far superior if you plan on moving constantly. They also do incredible damage. Very underrated arcane torrent rune, imo. Considering he had no time to sit and channel the arcane torrent rune he selected, it would have been a much better choice. Even Arcanot Familiar would have been more useful up to the RG.
It would be nice if Tal's had an extra set piece so that we could use something like a Hellfire amulet. Those are worthless in builds like this now. Focus and Restraint seem to be the overwhelming favorite (they should be retroactive).

Regarding the build, remember that Tal's stacks when spells are cast. Black hole has too much of a cooldown to reliably add to the 3 second stack window. There is obviously a lot of room for improvement, but at least it looks like we'll have burst now, which is lacking from Firebird's.

ferr

Was able to test out the nat set a little on ptr. Had to keep rorg since I don't have the pants. I was spamming RoV, it's hilarious. I felt like I was a glass canon though, but getting the pants means I can swap in Unity, and the GoTR gloves will add even more defense..

I think perma builds will make the best use of this. Chakram via Spines, EA via Krider, and permastrafe builds. Constant ROV up = constant +40% defense (or whatever) from GoTR.. which could make Unity obsolete so SoJ can go in, or something else like the -1s CD ring.

Dahbomb

The new Broken Promise ring is a potential game changer for Diablo 3. It would make potential 0% CC high attack speed builds possible.

I am guessing the new WW set can probably make use of it since you will be attacking so fast. If you can do 5 attacks in under 2 seconds then the ring becomes worth using. The other ring would have to be Skull Grasp of course.

It would be nice if Tal's had an extra set piece so that we could use something like a Hellfire amulet. Those are worthless in builds like this now. Focus and Restraint seem to be the overwhelming favorite (they should be retroactive).

Regarding the build, remember that Tal's stacks when spells are cast. Black hole has too much of a cooldown to reliably add to the 3 second stack window. There is obviously a lot of room for improvement, but at least it looks like we'll have burst now, which is lacking from Firebird's.

What is the CD on BH? like 12 seconds? With CDR on a few pieces, you could get it pretty low. And in GRs, crowd control still matters for Wizards. Not having any CC is going to limit your GR growth, as always. CDR will continue to be a thing and I just don't think he had the gear/rolls to utilize it.

That said, this could make Wand of Woh relevant again if you have an ancient one. That's cool. I have 3 of them but none are ancient, so I'll be sticking with my Ancient SS for the foreseeable future. Again, more options = more cool.

Now they need to figure out a way to make channeling spells somehow relevant. Having Arcon, Disintegrate and Arcane Torrent be largely irrelevant in GR is something I hope will change. Wizard primary damage needs some love like Monk primary damages are getting with the new 1H wep. It will make several wands finally useful (like the one that buffs Spectral Blade or the other that buffs Disintegrate). But I'm happy Rasha's doesn't suck now. That's enough for now for me.

joesmokey

Channeling spells should be relevant with the Slow Time set (Mirrorball builds).

Woh style specs are pretty popular with the Tal's set bonus, though I never enjoyed the play style very much.

Channeling spells should be relevant with the Slow Time set (Mirrorball builds).

Woh style specs are pretty popular with the Tal's set bonus, though I never enjoyed the play style very much.

when you say, "Woh style specs are pretty popular with the Tal's set bonus", do you mean in the current PTR? Because it's certainly not popular in main client GRs. Maybe for T6 or something.

Yes, most wizards are moving to PTR testing now. Nobody uses Tal's for 2.1.2 :).

That's how bad it's gotten.

Items don't transfer over from PTR to the real game right? Does Paragon? Anything? I'm trying to understand the reason to spend a lot of time in a test client, farming items you can't take with you. When you're at the point where you're only enjoying a class in a Test Client, it's time to play a new game until those changes are live.

ferr

Items don't transfer over from PTR to the real game right? Does Paragon? Anything? I'm trying to understand the reason to spend a lot of time in a test client, farming items you can't take with you. When you're at the point where you're only enjoying a class in a Test Client, it's time to play a new game until those changes are live.

Nothing, it's just a test client. I can't imagine anything would get transferred.

joesmokey

It's good to switch your mentality over to get an idea of what items you should be farming for optimal play. Firebird's and even 2hr's (at least with Tal's current changes) are starting to look a bit obsolete now.

Most people still playing wizards at this point like to maximize their potential, so it makes sense that many would jump to PTR to figure out the new optimal build strategies.

Besides, you can copy your existing characters over to PTR. You can take the huge stash of items you already have and do immediate testing. Only need to farm the new pieces/items.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I gotta put a vote in here for the new Tal's being amazing, the damage output is absolutely obscene. My gut tells me it's more of a party build though, because of the amount of skill slots you have to dedicate to it.

Dahbomb

The whole point of the PTR is to figure out what will be super broken in the future in order to be the first one to climb the GR rankings.

After 2.2 there will be yet another power level creep and characters will be able to do a few GR levels higher than they currently are capable of. That means there will be a bum rush to get the overpowered stuff and get higher ranks quickly for the e-status.

Right now the following stuff is looking really good:

*Bastion Will (aka Focus + Restraint) might actually be best in slot if you can manage to make your build work with the full set. The damage output is just too much to pass up.

*Shield Bash Roland does billions of damage now with the new Bracers.

*Tal Rasha's does billions of damage now.

*Broken Promises IMO is a game changer. Allows you to bypass CC on items and spec for attack speed instead. High attacks per second builds will definitely look towards this item.

*New cooldown items like the Obsidian Zodiac ring are very potent and allows you to bypass some CDR on gear. Basically will allow DHs/Monks/Crusaders to be immortal without sacrificing a lot of damage.

*The new Blood Brother sword is actually pretty damn good.

*People swear by the new Tirion/Ashbringer sword but I don't think it's that good. If you get the proc up then you are a GOD for a few seconds but the rest of the time it's not all that great.

*IK perma WotB with new Pants is legit.

Note that there are a lot fewer Pylons on the PTR in GRs so people aren't busting 60+ GRs already even though on Live with these items they can probably do it.

joesmokey

Here's the guy's GR49 Tal's clear with a slightly different build change:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kin8MIklS7A

It's interesting and kind of dumb that most of the skills are used not to provide damage, but just to be cast to start the stack. This removes some of the micro-managing and seems like it could be reliably doable.

It also shows how hard it is to optimize the damage output during something like an RG battle when the Tal meteor procs are in local proximity and not targeted.

Regardless, at least we finally have a fun alternative to Firebird's.

Dahbomb

I think I want to make a Monk now because this lightning tempest rush build sounds like a lot of fun. Has anyone tried it? Thoughts?
Yeah I have played it, it speed farms T6 and lower GRs but of course it's not that strong for higher GRs. For non season 2 its pretty good but in Season 2 there are a bunch of speed farm builds with Gungdo Gear that are just strictly better.

On PTR the current ranking is:

Wizard & Barbs (GR 50 cleared)
Demon Hunter GR 48
Monks GR 47
Crusader GR 46
WD GR 42

WD far and away the worst class right now on PTR. Every other class got obscene buffs through their new items.

Artanisix

"I gotta put a vote in here for the new Tal's being amazing, the damage output is absolutely obscene. My gut tells me it's more of a party build though, because of the amount of skill slots you have to dedicate to it."

Who needs Demon Hunters when you can stack Tal Rasha Wizzys now?

I want to hop on the PTR later today and try out a Natalya's DH with Obsidian Ring / Strafe / Vengeance / Rain of Vengeance.

Xeteh

I think I want to make a Monk now because this lightning tempest rush build sounds like a lot of fun. Has anyone tried it? Thoughts?

Its alright. I'm messing around with it now. I don't have Sunwuko Amulet or L25 Wreath (and my weapon kind of blows, but it is a Schaefer's) but it seems pretty fun. I can see it not being great on higher GRifts but spamming Palm and Wave was so boring I made another character. So messing around with this is pretty fun, it kills trash in T6 pretty quick. With a Furnace or something better than my weapon I could see some crazy speed killing happening.

ViviOggi

screenshot04554s2k.jpg

"Oh boy a goblin p-"

:laverne:

Dahbomb

Where's the item that doubles your SSS? I think it's one of those new items that doesn't have an affix.

Preliminary testing has shown that 6 pc bonus for Inna's is kinda crap when compared to 4 pc SWK although 2 pc Inna's (and to a lesser extent the 4 pc) are damn good so 4 pc Inna + 4 pc SWK is most optimum for Monks right now.

Though the mechanic for the 6c is pretty cool. When you do an EP they go to closest enemy and put an EP up even if you aren't EP something. Allows for some ranged Monk action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom