• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

Patch 2.3 ?

Yeah. Everyone here is waiting for the PTR to go up which should in next few days, but the patch won't go on live servers until the end of season 3 on PC which is still over a month out and we can assume consoles will get it at a similar time.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Yeah. Everyone here is waiting for the PTR to go up which should in next few days, but the patch won't go on live servers until the end of season 3 on PC which is still over a month out and we can assume consoles will get it at a similar time.

probably won't hit until late july (optimistic) or early/mid August

Well, more time for Batman AK.
Thanks.

av2k

I haven't played since two patches ago ever since I got my furance.. I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with to catch up to speed!

1.) The game is still being supported?! O__O What direction is the game going if I may ask? Are they going to update it indefinitely?

2.) Is my furnace useless now? :( (Wizard)

Dahbomb

I haven't played since two patches ago ever since I got my furance.. I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with to catch up to speed!

1.) The game is still being supported?! O__O What direction is the game going if I may ask? Are they going to update it indefinitely?

1) The game has always been supported. The patches come slow but they do come.

2) Was your Furnace an Ancient? In any case it's not at all useless because of the new Cube feature. You can just cube the Furnace for future characters and you get the 50% Elite damage bonus. If it's an Ancient Furnace then you can use it on your character.

As far as what direction the game is going... it's pretty much the same as it has been since 2.1 only the power level has increased substantially. You basically just dick around trying to find the 6 piece set of your class after which you go to Super Saiyan and then you hunt for specific Legendaries that complete your build. After that you hunt for Ancient versions of your items especially the weapon. Then you climb Greater Rifts and min max your character.

Some of the main changes include a lot of quality of life changes and allowing you to get to that high power level quicker through various means. They are also trying to streamline the process of Greater Rifts (no more Rift Trials), streamline the process of crafting and make Bounties more useful.

The Cube is basically going to allow SOME flexibility in builds but the reality is that people are going to figure out the best combinations for each class and those would be the standards. So it will just put the power level even further in the game as it's basically like adding 3 new items to your inventory.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

1) No idea about any grand plan (although there will probably be a new expansion at some point), but they've basically been making more legendaries/sets more awesome, and the name of the game right now is to get to the highest greater rift level you can if that's your thing. Patches like the upcoming 2.3 patch point toward more streamlining (fewer craft mats and easier access to greater grifts), making some gameplay elements more appealing than they used to (bounties), introducing more ways to make your characer more OP (Kanai Cube) and adding more difficulty levels.

2) Probably. Most wizards now use 1-handed weapons because of the Tal Rasha source (Tal Rasha is the go-to set for most builds now).

eek5

cube info from the notes

[
  • Extract Legendary Power: Destroy an item to add its Legendary power to your catalogue of collected powers. Once a power has been extracted, it can be equipped to your character without the need to equip the item. Players may have one Weapon, one Armor, and one Jewelry power equipped at a time. Players may only equip powers from items that their characters can normally equip and use.
  • Reforge a Legendary Item: Completely re-rolls a Legendary item as though it had dropped for the first time. This includes any powers that may have been previously enchanted on the item. Note that reforged items may re-roll as either Ancient or non-Ancient, so reforge at your own discretion!
  • Upgrade Rare Item: Upgrades the quality of a level 70 Rare item to Legendary. This item will roll as a randomized Legendary that shares that item's equipment type.
  • Convert Set Item: Converts a Set item to a randomized piece of gear from the same Set. For example, if you convert a pair of Asheara's Finders, you get Asheara's Custodian, Asheara's Pace, or Asheara's Ward in return.
  • Remove Level Requirement: Removes the level requirement from an item, allowing it to be equipped by a character of any level.
  • Convert Gems: Converts 9 of any color gem to 9 of any other color.
  • Convert Crafting Materials: Converts 100 of normal, magic, or rare Crafting Materials to 100 of another type of non-legendary Crafting Material

Reforge a Legendary Item: Completely re-rolls a Legendary item as though it had dropped for the first time. This includes any powers that may have been previously enchanted on the item. Note that reforged items may re-roll as either Ancient or non-Ancient, so reforge at your own discretion!

That seems worse than I expected. Not only can you not make certain properties stick, you basically can't reroll any ancients you have unless you're willing to dump a ton of souls into it given that it will almost assuredly get downgraded immediately. The actual probabilities involved will be key, although for people with large soul counts it's just a currency dump essentially to get perfect optimization.

I mean, just quick napkin math, let's say it's a 10% chance to upgrade into ancient, and a 50% chance that the ancient will roll the right stats with enchanting flexibility, and then a 5% chance that the rolls will be close to optimal. So like 0.25% chance overall for an optimal ancient, meaning an average of 20,000 forgotten souls for a 'near perfect item'. Obviously that's a conservative estimate, but you're still most likely looking at something in the thousands, and potentially tens of thousands.

Dahbomb

Had to move some items from my Mule now I am stuck in the queue...

Jesus fucking christ...

2000% LEGENDARY BUFF LETS GET IT!!!!

Sober

Sorta tempted to play the PTR this time around but then I wouldn't want to play 2.2 anymore.

Well I guess I haven't played 2.2 for a while since I hate hate hate grinding trial keys.

av2k

1) The game has always been supported. The patches come slow but they do come.

2) Was your Furnace an Ancient? In any case it's not at all useless because of the new Cube feature. You can just cube the Furnace for future characters and you get the 50% Elite damage bonus. If it's an Ancient Furnace then you can use it on your character.

As far as what direction the game is going... it's pretty much the same as it has been since 2.1 only the power level has increased substantially. You basically just dick around trying to find the 6 piece set of your class after which you go to Super Saiyan and then you hunt for specific Legendaries that complete your build. After that you hunt for Ancient versions of your items especially the weapon. Then you climb Greater Rifts and min max your character.

Some of the main changes include a lot of quality of life changes and allowing you to get to that high power level quicker through various means. They are also trying to streamline the process of Greater Rifts (no more Rift Trials), streamline the process of crafting and make Bounties more useful.

The Cube is basically going to allow SOME flexibility in builds but the reality is that people are going to figure out the best combinations for each class and those would be the standards. So it will just put the power level even further in the game as it's basically like adding 3 new items to your inventory.

1) No idea about any grand plan (although there will probably be a new expansion at some point), but they've basically been making more legendaries/sets more awesome, and the name of the game right now is to get to the highest greater rift level you can if that's your thing. Patches like the upcoming 2.3 patch point toward more streamlining (fewer craft mats and easier access to greater grifts), making some gameplay elements more appealing than they used to (bounties), introducing more ways to make your characer more OP (Kanai Cube) and adding more difficulty levels.

2) Probably. Most wizards now use 1-handed weapons because of the Tal Rasha source (Tal Rasha is the go-to set for most builds now).

Thanks for the timely reply guys, I do not have an Ancient Furnace but I do have a regular one. Time to reinstall! I'll wait a bit longer before sacrificing my furnace though. Pretty cool to see Tal Rasha being one of the go to builds for Wizard.

Dahbomb

Cant' get into the PTR anymore, I fucked up going to my mule to try to get some items in...

Maybe I will tomorrow and watch some Quin69 stream until then.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
PTR is up folks!!!

I got into the game before there was too much of a queue time. Time to farm the new SSS items!

Woo, it's holiday in Canada tomorrow too. Best Canada day ever.

I have a GAF clan created on PTR too. Join it to make it easier to get in games. Just request it on the clan search. I've been making everyone officers on that side so pretty much anyone can approve. A few randoms got in too - feel free to boot them if anyone's annoying.

Pro tips for beating queues:
- try different difficulties. There's a separate limit on the number of concurrent games for each difficulty
- share your games. You don't have to queue to join an existing game.

Syntek

That seems worse than I expected. Not only can you not make certain properties stick, you basically can't reroll any ancients you have unless you're willing to dump a ton of souls into it given that it will almost assuredly get downgraded immediately. The actual probabilities involved will be key, although for people with large soul counts it's just a currency dump essentially to get perfect optimization.

I think this is good. It removes a large amount of RNG. More importantly, there's now a reason to keep farming even when 99% of the drops are automatically salvaged for souls; every piece of crap will contribute a little towards making that ultimate BiS item.

Raticus79

cube info from the notes

Convert Set Item: Converts a Set item to a randomized piece of gear from the same Set. For example, if you convert a pair of Asheara's Finders, you get Asheara's Custodian, Asheara's Pace, or Asheara's Ward in return.

Hmm, the item list implies they can't reroll the same set item, so that's nice, although the first sentence doesn't really make that clear. Hopefully that's the case. Either way, it should make it massively easier to find things like Sunwuko's amulet.

---

Oh wow, Bane of the Stricken actually made it in. GR100 here we come. (that dual wield with Flying Dragon effect could come in handy here...)

Bane of the Stricken
New Legendary Gem
Each attack you make against an enemy increases the damage it takes from your attacks by 1.0%
Gain 25% increased damage against Rift Guardians and bosses at rank 25

Sober

Just realized there is a cube recipe that rerolls a rare item into a legendary with the same type. Lawd have mercy. Also a recipe to roll a set item into another slot of the same set.

Dahbomb

I think this is good. It removes a large amount of RNG. More importantly, there's now a reason to keep farming even when 99% of the drops are automatically salvaged for souls; every piece of crap will contribute a little towards making that ultimate BiS item.
Yeah it's good. If you find a garbage Kridershot you don't have to feel about it because that Kridershot might one day be turned into an Ancient Kridershot.

Though if you get a bad Ancient Kridershot that would feel real bad lol...

Just realized there is a cube recipe that rerolls a rare item into a legendary with the same type.
Yeah this is going to be a better way to get weapons in the game. It's like gambling for Legendary weapons but more targetted (ie. I can target Legendary Fists by Upgrading a Rare Fist).

can't wait to try this out when I get home in a few hours. No doubt queues will be at it's peak by then so I'll probably just lvl up a new hc seasons char since they always have low to no queue.

Sober

Yeah this is going to be a better way to get weapons in the game. It's like gambling for Legendary weapons but more targetted (ie. I can target Legendary Fists by Upgrading a Rare Fist).
I would still pay +25 blood shards per roll for a class-specific weapon. The only class that essentially gets that right now is DH by virtue of no one else really using bows except as stat sticks.

joesmokey

Patch notes sound amazing. I think I'm going to skip the PTR (if I can help it) and wait for Season 4.

No idea how I'm going to clean up my characters/stash though.

Dahbomb

Patch notes sound amazing. I think I'm going to skip the PTR (if I can help it) and wait for Season 4.

No idea how I'm going to clean up my characters/stash though.
You are going to put your Legendaries into the cube and salvage the duplicates.

Quin69 is going to attempt to get 100% uptime on this new Shenlong.... if he does it he will go fucking SUPER SAIYAN GOD!

Edit: LOL HE DID IT! Band of Rue Chambers (cubed), Hexing Pants (cubed), Cindercoat, Ring of Zodiac. Doesn't even have Flying Dragon cubed yet!

MrDaravon

I haven't played this game in just long enough where I'm rusty on a lot of specifics for other classes, but all of this stuff seems batshit crazy. Too rusty to theorycraft, but I look forward to seeing how this all pans out for sure, will be there day one for Season 4.

You are going to put your Legendaries into the cube and salvage the duplicates.

Oh wow I hadn't even thought of that; while it's still be really nice to have more stash space that will help a bit in that regard.

Sober

I haven't played this game in just long enough where I'm rusty on a lot of specifics for other classes, but all of this stuff seems batshit crazy. Too rusty to theorycraft, but I look forward to seeing how this all pans out for sure, will be there day one for Season 4.

Oh wow I hadn't even thought of that; while it's still be really nice to have more stash space that will help a bit in that regard.

Each patch has pretty much pushed up the power level each time to the point where they now had to add more torment difficulties to account for it. No fucks given.

MrDaravon

Each patch has pretty much pushed up the power level each time to the point where they now had to add more torment difficulties to account for it. No fucks given.

Yeah, I really really like Dahbomb's DBZ analogy, it's pretty spot on. I'm all for it though, especially since I'm not necessarily super huge on GR's (don't care about leaderboards and I like picking up loot). The removal of Trials immediately has me more okay with just doing GR's for sure though.

Raticus79

So what are end-game builds like now? Is the stunlock trash + RG GR farming dead or just not as efficient?

Perma-CC trash should be dead at least since they apply the same rules from elites to trash now. Remains to be seen whether people will continue to skip elites since trash is still easier.

Quin69 is going to attempt to get 100% uptime on this new Shenlong.... if he does it he will go fucking SUPER SAIYAN GOD!

Edit: LOL HE DID IT! Band of Rue Chambers (cubed), Hexing Pants (cubed), Cindercoat, Ring of Zodiac. Doesn't even have Flying Dragon cubed yet!

Nice. Is the rest of the build basically the same fire rainment as before?

Dahbomb

Yeah the new best Monk build right now is basically:

Shenlongs
Full Raiment
Bastion of Will

Cube:
Flying Dragon
Cindercoat
Obsidian Ring

He hasn't tried the new Monk set yet because he still needs the weapon (Lion's Claw).

Some person got GR65 on it at 12 mins. This build should break GR70 with ease.

Addnan

The new reflect packs are the fucking worst. I'm sure it's decent for the melee classes, but for DH it's so shit. Packs don't reflect together anymore so you can't just stop attacking when they start reflecting and then start once they all stop. They now take turns so you have such little time to attack. One reflect is enough to completely kill a DH.

Ashodin

Bane of the Stricken
New Legendary Gem
Each attack you make against an enemy increases the damage it takes from your attacks by 1.0%
Gain 25% increased damage against Rift Guardians and bosses at rank 25

absolutely disgusting with my Zeal 2H Crusader build

Popnbake

Yeah the new best Monk build right now is basically:

Shenlongs
Full Raiment
Bastion of Will

Cube:
Flying Dragon
Cindercoat
Obsidian Ring

He hasn't tried the new Monk set yet because he still needs the weapon (Lion's Claw).

Some person got GR65 on it at 12 mins. This build should break GR70 with ease.

Sucks that it was announced to be a S4 drop so we won't be seeing in PTR testing.

Witch Doctor's new set has the coolest idle animations I've seen in this game yet.

evilalien

Sucks that it was announced to be a S4 drop so we won't be seeing in PTR testing.

It really does suck because that item is very complementary to the new set. Instead of 7 hits each doing 7 hits worth of damage you would have 14 hits each doing 14 hits worth of damage with that item, effectively 4 times the SSS damage that you can get right now.

Of course even the extra damage from all those hits could be totally eclipsed by EP with Madflow and Fist of Az for all we know, I haven't seen much testing yet.

Dahbomb

Ok the new set is fucking SICK!

I don't care if it's not better than Raiment set but it's just... AWESOME! Easily one of the best sets they have made.

Finally after 3 years of Diablo 3 we can live the SEVEN SIDED DREAM!

Also this new set MIGHT actually beat Raiment set with the new weapon (with the new weapon Cubed of course). This is of course assuming that there isn't some glitched Madstone interactions.

joesmokey

Decided to try out the PTR and the shortest Torment queue I can find is 1hr6min... TX is 4hr17min right now, lol.

How did I ever have the tolerance for this?

Raticus79

One more change that didn't make it into the patch notes:

"Also in Patch 2.3: Experience gains and bonuses are now averaged across all players in the group (this should now be in the PTR patch notes)"
https://twitter.com/_JohnYang/status/616054876544438272

I wish they had just removed experience bonuses instead. Oh well, at least they did something about it.

Decided to try out the PTR and the shortest Torment queue I can find is 1hr6min... TX is 4hr17min right now, lol.

How did I ever have the tolerance for this?

Cool gaffers willing to let you join their groups?

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get through the queue because people are inviting into a group and that lets them cut in line and add more to the queue. Basically the queue is endless unless you find a group. Seriously don't bother waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom