• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You missed the point friend.

Blizzard doesn't want hard to avoid affixes but rather impossible to avoid mechanics so that getting some tankiness is required.

If things were hard to avoid but everything could be avoided then people would spec 100% glass cannon and just avoid the mechanics even if they were tough to avoid.

So scale them to go past hard to avoid and towards impossible. With exponential scaling and the timer it's not like players aren't working under a damage cap anyway. There's going to be rift level that they can't progress past due to monster HP, just like there's going to be one you'll never have enough DR for. But the way the game scales and the way players interact with that scaling should be fun until they start to hit that wall; theoretically being able to 'dodge' all the damage feels better even if as a practical matter you cannot. Jailer just seems like a lazy solution to a problem that can be addressed in other ways.

If unavoidable damage was the goal and not just the means, then why don't they simply add in something like a constantly damaging aura that scales? Or even just a regularly occurring "spike" of damage every 30 seconds? Is that not a more reliable and even-handed method of ensuring that the DR/regen cap they want is met? Jailer is still "avoidable" in the sense that you may not get a pack that has the affix in the first place anyway or you might have the arcane immune necklace, and it does nothing to address the problem with respect to the rest of the rift's combat, or the problem of fishing.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can still achieve the desired result (no 100% glass cannon builds) with a system that doesn't arbitrarily interact with players (you take X dmg now), and instead encourage a more rewarding system that actually engages players. Jailer is a non-issue until it scales enough with the GR that it will kill you, why not take a similar approach with other affixes with regard to scaling? At a certain point, if you scale the properties of the affixes correctly with clever design, the probability of you avoiding any damage collapses.

So yes, at GR 35 the affixes might be just hard to avoid instead of the current system in which they're easy to avoid. But at 50+ the affixes could conceivably be unavoidable in their entirety. This should result in more total possible damage, but the key difference is that a system that gives the player the ability to mitigate their damages from (X+Y) to just (X) with good play is more rewarding and interactive than a system in which the player just automatically takes X damage. With the way scaling works, you just need the incidence of damage to occur to keep fully glass cannons builds honest, the particular source of damage doesn't really matter.

Dahbomb

Jailer isn't the only unavoidable mechanic in the game. Frozen and Thunderstorm are basically unavoidable as well.

Just like Plague/Molten/Electrified are essentially unavoidable for melee classes. It's basically a gear check for the different archetypes.

They would have to rework all the affixes to make them avoidable. The whole point of affixes are that they are gear checks and are a way to challenge your gear. That's also why Reflect damage exists.

Without these affixes, defense wouldn't matter and everyone would spec full glass cannon and Blizzard doesn't want people ignoring defensive stats as that's more than half of the stats on your gear.

Fishing is always a problem in these randomized GRs unfortunately. Blizzard keeps trying to fix these issues but in the end until you have a fixed layout to rank players on, there always be fishing (for map layout, affix types, mob types, boss type etc).

ShinMaruku

Would you guys go all in and a diablo like game with the Warcraft ip?

Oh and how are wizards in the meta right now? I been away fro about 6 months, what's new?

Dahbomb

Bane of Stricken gives 8% damage per attack at lvl70....

iXUwpN9XwFvX8.gif

Yup that totally isn't broken. Nope, nothing to see here folks.

In other news Quin69 just got over $2000 donation from one guy...

"The intention behind the original change was to introduce a level of avoidance to the affix; with only one target having it up, you can pick and choose which targets to hit, similar to how Shielding currently works."

The most stupid shit I've read from a blue post in a while.

Have they played one of these games before?

Avoiding reflect at the cost of losing your jewelery cube stat is something at least.

I need to pull my thumb out and get to level 70 this season before it ends which I'm assuming is rather soon.

I can get you to 70 in a couple of rifts if you like, add VWdrewZbie#6802

I am aussie so you will lag but just gotta chill at beginning of rift levels anyway.

Going to tattoo Tyrael tomorrow on my left underarm going over a old tattoo.

Will post a photo when it is done.

I have one of those.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Bane of Stricken gives 8% damage per attack at lvl70....

Yup that totally isn't broken. Nope, nothing to see here folks.

Wudijo did a bunch of testing with it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/3cwl24/bane_of_the_stricken/

I have done extensive testing on this gem. Here are my results:
No cap.
It stacks additively.
The number is bugged. I leveled it to rank 30, which means 4% per stack. In fact, however, it's 3% for me. So far, I couldn't confirm if a rank 0 gem (1%) doesn't stack at all (I don't have a spare gem).
The secondary effect is multiplicative.
It has an ICD, which with my limited means on PTR I estimated to be 1/3s.
Only spells with a proc coefficient can proc it, however the proc coefficient itself is irrelevant, as long as the spell deals damage.
The damage buff is hidden, and disappears when you switch zones. You can take the gem off and it stays though.
Video with my testing methods and results be up tonight probably.

Queue times are surprisingly long this morning, at least 1h30 for all T1-T6.

Here's what Lion's Claw looks like:
oYfY5X2.jpg

Raticus79

The lack of level requirement on crafted rare stuff on PTR was confirmed to be a bug.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/18300112180#12

Crafted items should have a required character level. This is definitely a bug. We've already gotten this working properly on our internal build; unfortunately, the fix just barely missed this past Tuesday's patch.

We're exploring some options to get this fix out as quickly as possible, but it may end up requiring a patch. We'll be sure to keep you all updated.

Thanks for your reports and dedicated testing!

Kiru

I guess GRift 42 is the highest I finish this season. Delsere's Set Wizard btw. Not much luck with 1Hand weapons. People are jealous of my Serpent wand, but I don't use Hydras... :(

Addnan

Have been using the Lions Claw in PTR. It seems decent, but really it won't be possible to know if it's better than other stuff until season proper because putting in time to get good gear in PTR just isn't worth =/

I have some questions about this game. I already played the original release on PC when it came out and I am now replaying it on Xbox One.

Is the console version easier than the PC version?
Is it possible to overlevel while playing the game?

I am currently a level 40 monk and halfway through Act III on normal difficulty. This has been much easier than what I remembered. Like I killed Belial in 15 seconds.

Xanathus

I have some questions about this game. I already played the original release on PC when it came out and I am now replaying it on Xbox One.

Is the console version easier than the PC version?
Is it possible to overlevel while playing the game?

I am currently a level 40 monk and halfway through Act III on normal difficulty. This has been much easier than what I remembered. Like I killed Belial in 15 seconds.

The way both versions work with the current difficulty system is that everything scales to your level so your level is irrelevant to the difficulty. The only things that matters about how hard things are is what gear you're wearing and what difficulty you're playing on. Normal difficulty is extremely easy, it's basically for grandmas and babies. Pick hard or expert for leveling up.

Raticus79

Is there Diablo 3 + RoS for PC anywhere for a sane price? (digital download, I am not in europe/us)
I want to play with a friend, but there is no way he's paying 80 Euro. ( https://eu.battle.net/shop/en-us/product/game/diablo )

You'll just have to wait for a 50% off sale so you can grab both for 40. They occur from time to time.

A 50% off sale just started, continuing through July 19.
https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/game/diablo
https://eu.battle.net/shop/en/product/game/diablo

Raticus79

They put the 2000% drop rate buff back up so ummm good luck getting on anymore period.

Looks like there's no queue at the moment. I just got in on T6 instantly. It's not just the 20x legendaries - also the double goblins, shards, and +300% exp.

Raticus79

can you ptr power level me bro :(

Just need the server to keep a game going for more than a minute at a time without crashing and rolling back and we're good to go.

My games were working fine earlier - had one going for a couple of hours. Maybe it's a cross-server thing. Try running one on your own for a bit. Edit: hmm, it still crashes - maybe it was just a particularly unstable time.

eek5

haha that was weird. thanks for trying though. it was pretty funny seeing me jump 9 levels on a dashing strike in T10 lol

Raticus79

I bet the server saves game states every five minutes or so and that process was causing crashes almost every time at that point. Even exiting games to save equipment changes wasn't working reliably, although it wasn't giving errors. Maybe they were having database problems.

I managed to gear up a bit despite the crashes. I have all the stuff to try the Lion's Claw, assuming it's still there in the morning.

Zvolen12

Neo Member
I didnt have issues last night. I started a seasonal crusader and of course found all of the required gear before 70, not that it wont be easy to find again. Currently at lvl 60 after 2 or so hours and really liking the hammer build.

Raticus79

They're doing a restart now to apply a fix which will hopefully fix the PTR stability issues.

Tyvalir said:
Just a quick update on this, folks.We're bringing the PTR down shortly to apply some updates, which we're hoping will fix the issues players have reported with games being terminated. We hope to have it back up again soon, and we appreciate your patience in the meantime!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/18300812683?page=15#282

(so get in there if you can, because it's time for queue round 2)

Unicorn

Bought RoS 45 hours ago. Sale starts. Submit a ticket about refund or something and they say there's nothing I can do since I have a character at 70. A character that was created less than 72 hours ago, was levelled to 60 in base game, then RoS was bought to level to 70 with friends. Arbitrary obstruction, imo.

Sober

I have easily put in over 100 hours just last season on one character even though I dropped off playing it rather quickly a few weeks into the season. I expect to do the same and don't really care that happens at this point. And just that alone already made it worth whatever I paid for it.

Also the game is pretty perfect podcast fodder as I can just kill the sound and all I really do is click the fuck out of monsters, watch them die and I pick shit up to help me click monsters harder.

Radec

MannerCookie got a good point. That character snapshot will make the leaderboards meaningless since people can just copy almost everything you did.

Dahbomb

The snapshot thing should be something that only Blizzard can see. For balancing purposes of course because thats why it's there to begin with.

In all honesty, you should be allowed to make your profile completely private. Even in the current system, it's pretty easy to figure out builds.

The new build hiding meta is going to be that if people find a great build they will tank GRs on purpose and then save it until the end of the Season to push the Leaderboards and farm Paragon points. Then they will push GRs at the last minute when it would be too late to try to copy the builds.

The real issue though is the infinite scaling of Paragon points. It has gotten to the point where items don't matter after a certain threshold and beyond that it's a matter of who has more Paragon points. I guess technically that is fair because it rewards the person who play the most but it just creates cheesy EXP leech strats in 4 man group all season long to farm Paragons and then push at the very end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom