• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

But what is the point? Is there better gear out there then a full zunimassa? Are there like super legendaries? Like why care about your build when you have all the best stuff? You are essentially done... What is the point of finding new gear?

I'm going to try and break this down as simply as I can without writing a wall of text because it is very easy to do that when talking about this subject. In the most simple terms possible you are either playing this game for the rush of getting better gear or you are playing the game because you like the game and want to push it as hard as you can. Every guide you will see written is written from the perspective of someone in the second group. What that means is that gear is simply a means to end, it is just a hurdle that people have to jump to get into the best parts of the game.

Your question is what is the point? And the answer to that for the high end players right now is the Greater Rift system. They are timed dungeons that scale infinitely in difficulty. If you beat the timer in one dungeon you can move on to a harder one, then a harder, then even more harder until you simply can't beat the timer anymore (and it's worth noting the difficulty of these is WAY higher than the difficulty you can select from the main menu. Torment 6 which is the highest difficulty right now is equal to Greater Rift level 25 but people doing Greater Rifts are up to level 60+)

You kinda just have to figure it out for yourself. Do you like the game enough to try and push it to its upper limits or do you just want to get better gear? If you are only interested in getting better gear you will hit an eventual wall in the game where you are out of content as there is not always better gear to obtain.

Lain

Got a question for higher end players that I'd greatly appreciate if explained!

Me and my wife been playing this with new characters (I'm a witch doctor she is a wizard), we are max level paragon 89 and playing torment 3. I almost have full Zunimassa(?) set, have about 3 pieces. I been looking online for good builds and a lot of them start out saying, "having a full zunimassa set is good ect"

But what is the point? Is there better gear out there then a full zunimassa? Are there like super legendaries? Like why care about your build when you have all the best stuff? You are essentially done... What is the point of finding new gear?

Tldr: is there ultimate gear in the game? What is the point of continuing if you already have good stuff?

Thanks!

There are other sets and legendaries to find to help make your good build even better and help you become able to breeze through the highest torment and then go through Greater Rifts faster, better and reaching higher levels.
The point of continuing is to find those rare, powerful items with the right stats that allow you to make mince meat of enemies that were giving you trouble.
Obviously, this only applies if you find the base game fun, if you like to see big numbers become bigger, if you like seeing all those monsters explode in a rain of gold and loot with just a few clicks.

I'm going to try and break this down as simply as I can without writing a wall of text because it is very easy to do that when talking about this subject. In the most simple terms possible you are either playing this game for the rush of getting better gear or you are playing the game because you like the game and want to push it as hard as you can. Every guide you will see written is written from the perspective of someone in the second group. What that means is that gear is simply a means to end, it is just a hurdle that people have to jump to get into the best parts of the game.

Your question is what is the point? And the answer to that for the high end players right now is the Greater Rift system. They are timed dungeons that scale infinitely in difficulty. If you beat the timer in one dungeon you can move on to a harder one, then a harder, then even more harder until you simply can't beat the timer anymore (and it's worth noting the difficulty of these is WAY higher than the difficulty you can select from the main menu. Torment 6 which is the highest difficulty right now is equal to Greater Rift level 25 but people doing Greater Rifts are up to level 60+)

You kinda just have to figure it out for yourself. Do you like the game enough to try and push it to its upper limits or do you just want to get better gear? If you are only interested in getting better gear you will hit an eventual wall in the game where you are out of content as there is not always better gear to obtain.
Thanks for explaining. I understand this is a gear game, but that is kind of my point. Almost having majority of Zuminasa(?), am I basically done with that portion of the game? Or is there gear that is way above that? Like say Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts or those types of games, they have really good gear and then they have Ultimate gear so you kind of know when you have reached a new pinnacle. Then they have extra hard bosses you couldnt attempt without it.

So are the super hard tormet 6 greater rifts just there because it is a fun challenge like say, playing dmc on insane difficulty. Or is there actual reason and you actually get better loot that is impossible to find on other difficulties?

Like I kind of wish there was a sub category (say Purple colored EpicLegendaries) that only start maybe dropping at Torment 5+. So there was a reason to really try and get there... Looking online it doesnt seem like there is stuff you can only get at the higher torments. So I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth trying to get there...

Like say in Diablo 2. You'd reach a point where you got some amazing powerful gear and now you can basically two shot mephisto or baal and do those runs super fast on Hell, find some nice gear that you could trade for SOJ's on the trade network or get so powerful you destroy in PVP. D3 doesnt seem to have that (atleast on the ps4 version).

Thanks for the explanation though! It's helpful.

I think once you hit torment 6 \ greater rifts, everything is pretty much attainable for you (except the bounty-only legendaries).

At that point, the only thing left to do is see how far you can push through the greater rifts. It would be nice if there were some other incentive to do so other than... bragging rights. I'd like some gear that could only be attained in GRs 40+.... or 50+. Etc etc.

Negator

Getting your Zunimassa set is just a small part of building your character. I'd say it's the entry level point honestly.

The point of playing a game like Diablo is to perfect your character slowly over time once you reach certain milestones (i.e. completing your set) and refining your gear over time to become a true monster. Do all your set pieces have the preferred or optimal stats that you want? Are all your set pieces ancient? If you have the Ring of Royal Grandeur, what set piece is the least optimal for your build that you can toss for a more synergistic item?

The rabbit hole can go as far deep as you want it to be.

For example, Zunimassa gloves with INT/All resist/Life per hit/Crit. These are awful gloves. If these are the gloves you have, I'd want to replace them immediately for gloves with a better roll.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Thanks for explaining. I understand this is a gear game, but that is kind of my point. Almost having majority of Zuminasa(?), am I basically done with that portion of the game? Or is there gear that is way above that? Like say Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts or those types of games, they have really good gear and then they have Ultimate gear so you kind of know when you have reached a new pinnacle. Then they have extra hard bosses you couldnt attempt without it.

So are the super hard tormet 6 greater rifts just there because it is a fun challenge like say, playing dmc on insane difficulty. Or is there actual reason and you actually get better loot that is impossible to find on other difficulties?

Like I kind of wish there was a sub category (say Purple colored EpicLegendaries) that only start maybe dropping at Torment 5+. So there was a reason to really try and get there... Looking online it doesnt seem like there is stuff you can only get at the higher torments. So I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth trying to get there...

Like say in Diablo 2. You'd reach a point where you got some amazing powerful gear and now you can basically two shot mephisto or baal and do those runs super fast on Hell, find some nice gear that you could trade for SOJ's on the trade network or get so powerful you destroy in PVP. D3 doesnt seem to have that (atleast on the ps4 version).

Thanks for the explanation though! It's helpful.

there are ancient versions
you can always get better itemized versions of existing gear that you like
regular legendaries might change up your gameplay or you might want to try a different spec

upgrading legendary gems via greater rifts...

2.3 will add more collection aspects to the legendaries

I think the balance will be a bit better once they add T10, even though they're adding even more power. Atm it's super easy to reach T6 farming, and while there's always Grifts, it feels a bit weird because of how they're designed imo. Hopefully even with cube stuff, T10 is harder to reach so you'll see a more natural progression even outside of Grifts.

But yeah the game is kinda weird, the upgrades come fast early on and you feel you reach the top gear very quickly, even though there's always a few possible upgrades, so you're "done" pretty quick. I'm ok with that though, I like playing D3 like 2weeks every season then going back to other stuff, it's fun while it lasts and I don't really need to be playing it non stop.

The lack of builds and such probably is what's the most limiting. There's multiple sets now, but you tend to get all the sets at the same time without really trying and once you've checked them out, there's nothing left.

It isn't really like D2 or PoE that pushes you to reroll over and over to find a slightly better build, or a completely different take on the build. PoE is especially good with that, where you can make a dozen of builds using exactly the same skills but playing pretty differently due to skill tree choices(life based, ES based, with a lot of auras, with minions, elemental or physical, 2H or 1H and so on).

It's still fun to play though, and I'm looking forward to an expansion if they ever feel like releasing one. I don't really know if the RoS sales were bad or what, I feel it's a bit weird they haven't been churning out expansions for this, considering they're not monetizing anything(like say, cosmetics and stash tabs, similar to how PoE sells shit).

ZenaxPure

It's a little of both. The main reason people run Greater Rifts is to see how far they can get. On the PC version of the game it's a little different because there are leaderboards (friend leaderboards, clan leaderboards, and worldwide leaderboards) so there is a way to directly compare yourself to other players. On console it has to be more of a personal achievement thing.

That said there is a reward structure to it, doing Greater Rifts lets you find gems that can be placed in rings/necklaces. These gems are different because they are legendary and have special effects. They also have levels and when you reach level 25 on one of them they unlock a second ability that is really powerful. It doesn't stop there though, most gems can be leveled up forever making them more and more powerful but some have max ranks (just depends on the gem). The catch to this though? You have to do higher level Greater Rifts to level up the gems (the chance to level up a gem is based on what level rift you cleared and once a gem outranks the level you clear it has a 0% chance of leveling up).

In a roundabout way it is exactly what your asking for. Getting a gem to a high level typically requires the best gear in the game. If you were to look at it in a progression path it would be something like this: Level character to max level -> Get enough gear to do Torment 6 -> Use that gear to start farming Greater Rifts and get legendary gems -> level up legendary gems to level 25 while also getting better versions of the gear you are wearing (since stat rolls are variable within certain limits you can almost always get better versions of gear you are wearing) -> use that gear to level up gems even higher.

I think the balance will be a bit better once they add T10, even though they're adding even more power. Atm it's super easy to reach T6 farming, and while there's always Grifts, it feels a bit weird because of how they're designed imo. Hopefully even with cube stuff, T10 is harder to reach so you'll see a more natural progression even outside of Grifts.

This isn't going to happen. I think the thing people really need to understand is that T10 is being added because blizzard fucked up balancing to an insane degree early on in RoS's life. The best builds in the game right now are already capable of handling stuff past T10 and balance changes in the new patch is just going to make that crazier. Looking at T10 as a way to extend the life of gearing up your character is just setting yourself up for disappointment as they are just using it to extend the new base difficulty because of the stupid power creep the game has had over the past year. You need to look at T10 almost exactly like you look at T6.

In terms of time investment into a game (getting you to come back and keep playing for hundreds of hours at a time) D3 it is all about GRs. Yes this is different than PoE/D2 (where it is all about constantly creating new characters) but there is nothing really wrong with trying something different. Personally it's one of the things that made me stick with D3 so long because I find gearing/leveling insanely boring where as trying to constantly optimize a single fun to play build for increased challenge is insanely fun. The kind of great things you talk about in PoE makes me almost fall asleep at my keyboard in how boring it sounds tbh. Don't really mean that as an insult but it's just to give you an idea how some people feel, I'm sure you could say the exciting things I said about GRs make you feel similar and that's fine too.

Dahbomb

Aside from trading you can do all of those things in D3.

You can still do fast boss runs and 2 shot them if you want. It's not the most efficient way to play but if you like doing that then it's there for you to play that way.

You can also gear up insanely and crush people in PvP or get crushed but PvP sucks anyway.

Jedi2016

You can still do fast boss runs and 2 shot them if you want. It's not the most efficient way to play but if you like doing that then it's there for you to play that way.
Funny, I'm going through the campaign on my barb, just to make sure he's caught up whenever the next expac drops, and even on T6 the bosses are laughable.

kmfdmpig

Yeah, the Gifts are rare, no doubt. I went forever without seeing on, right now I'm sitting on, I think seven or eight. Not really needed right now.. WW Barb, and I think the BK weapons always roll with a socket.

Even if something comes with a socket you can enchant the socket into something else and then add a socket using the gift.

Xanathus

Regarding the hullabaloo about people farming Paragon levels by using XP gear, do the guys wearing XP gear have to enter the rifts and follow the clearers or do they stay in town?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I just don't understand some of this. I have things like a mirror or an open book and when I look at them they have stats for magic, intelligence, vitality etc. I cannot equip them. What's the point in them? I can put them in my inventory but that's about all. Are they passive skills that work when they're in my inventory. I'm confused by a lot of stuff in this game because it doesn't seem to explain itself very well.

I just don't understand some of this. I have things like a mirror or an open book and when I look at them they have stats for magic, intelligence, vitality etc. I cannot equip them. What's the point in them? I can put them in my inventory but that's about all. Are they passive skills that work when they're in my inventory. I'm confused by a lot of stuff in this game because it doesn't seem to explain itself very well.

They're follower items
Only your follower can equip them

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yo I am so ready to jump into season 4. All the new/revamped sets look really fun, I can't wait to try that new monk 7sided/Exploding palm hotness.

Addnan

Mmmm how good are barbs as support roles in PTR then? I heard something about a shout Barb.

About two patches ago on 2.3 PTR barb support looked amazing. They could stack a ton of xp gear and pull better than anyone else. Not sure if things have changed since, if not they will be hotly wanted as support.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Yo I am so ready to jump into season 4. All the new/revamped sets look really fun, I can't wait to try that new monk 7sided/Exploding palm hotness.

I am hyped about it as well. I have never participated in a season, so looking forward to seeing what the hype is about. Is the best way to level in season jumping straight into adventure mode or going through the campaign again?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
while trying to get the pet dmg helm I got carnevil so I tried the build. even with my non optimized gear its deffinately higher dps...but I hate it :/

just no fun at all and im really missing all the tanking from my dogs and garg and shit.

edit: yay Mask of Jeram finally, fuck Carnevil :p 92% dmg not bad roll I guess

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I am hyped about it as well. I have never participated in a season, so looking forward to seeing what the hype is about. Is the best way to level in season jumping straight into adventure mode or going through the campaign again?

Adventure mode for sure.

Having to play through the campaign again is one of the reasons I've avoided starting out in a brand new season. But.... I guess I'll have to do :(

Anoregon

Having to play through the campaign again is one of the reasons I've avoided starting out in a brand new season. But.... I guess I'll have to do :(

You don't have to play though story mode in new seasons, you can jump right into adventure.

Diablo has always been a good game to shoot the shit with friends. It's not intensive enough to prevent you from having normal conversations like a Moba where you're more focused on calling out plays/reactions/strategies, but it's also got enough to it to entertain and compete with one another.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The good news is that it's never too late for that. Just pay to take the gem out of the socket (I don't remember what happens to the gem if you unenchant a socket) and then you're good to go.

It automatically unsockets the gem and costs the appropriate additional amount of money. (some people spent a bunch of money rerolling and ran out on the final one when they finally saw the roll they wanted due to the unsocketing cost)

Dahbomb

http://www.diablofans.com/blizz-tracker/topic/60063-are-you-prepared-for-2-3-0

2.3 preview.

More importantly in the last paragraph Blizzard is hinting on some new information in the new few days. I wonder what it could be.

Does this slake your thirst? Or do you crave even more knowledge? There are whispers that you might soon have the opportunity to ask of us what you will, but the details are murky at this time. Keep your dull eyes open in the coming days. We will have more to share, and it would be wise you pay close attention.

Sober

Well people pretty much datamine everything from Blizzard PTR patches so what surprises that do come down the pipe probably aren't gameplay related?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
http://www.diablofans.com/blizz-tracker/topic/60063-are-you-prepared-for-2-3-0

2.3 preview.

More importantly in the last paragraph Blizzard is hinting on some new information in the new few days. I wonder what it could be.

Apparently they're going to be doing some dev interviews.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/3he15r/i_have_an_interview_with_lead_designer_kevin/

The links in that announcement just point to their usual social media pages.
http://www.twitter.com/diablo/
http://www.facebook.com/diablo/
http://www.diablo3.com/
So they're saying to watch those pages for info on our opportunities to ask questions.

Celegus

Does this slake your thirst? Or do you crave even more knowledge? There are whispers that you might soon have the opportunity to ask of us what you will, but the details are murky at this time. Keep your dull eyes open in the coming days. We will have more to share, and it would be wise you pay close attention.
Guys.

murky-week-featured-box.jpg

Murky is love. Murky is life.

QP3

I want to buy the base game but didn't have credit card, does I really ran out of (legal) option to buy the game?

Could you use paypal? I am not entirely familiar with the service, but I believe you can link it to savings account and add money that way.

fertygo

Could you use paypal? I am not entirely familiar with the service, but I believe you can link it to savings account and add money that way.

You can only use paypal that tied with CC I think

EDIT

Adding PayPal to Your Payment Options

Go to My Payment Options and click Add Payment Method.
Select PayPal from the dropdown menu, and then click Continue to PayPal.
Note: You need a valid credit card on your PayPal account to make payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom