• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got D3 and RoS - Never played Diablo before.

How does it work- Do you play the single player campaign and then take your character online or how do you play story mode? do you need to make new characters to play online?

I'm a bit scared!

You make a char then play either on your own or with other people. There's no offline, it's always online, so there's no split, all chars can be used in multiplayer or not. At the start you decide if you want to join a public game, make a private game or make your game public so other people can join and you can change that at any point(though if you koin a public game, you'll have to leave and make a new one if you then want to play privately). Progress is saved regardless, but the state of the world(quests and such) is saved only at specific checkpoints, which are fairly common. Your character never loses anything, item or levels.

The very first time you pick the game, you have to go through the story as I believe adventure mode isn't unlocked until you do it at least once. Increase the difficulty to hard(which is only the 2nd difficulty, and is more like "normal" for another game, while normal is easy) so it's not terribly boring.

Best initial tip is turn on elective mode in the options, it lets you put any skill on any button, while the default forces you to use one skill of each category only in certain buttons, it's annoying. Once you're done you can just test stuff out. You can change skills any time out of combat, so experiment with stuff and see what you like.

The game is very easy to pick up, there's no need for guides or help or anything, you kinda just make a class(which are all viable so you can make it based on aesthetics or style and not make a "wrong" choice) then follow the linear story.

Note that in terms of multiplayer, pretty much no one does story mode anymore so you'll have a hard time finding any group to do anything, especially since the game scales differently than before(monsters scale to your level, so instead just looking for say act2 start, you'll be looking for act2 start at lvl 19 or whatever, which is a lot more limiting). So I'd consider your first playthrough a single player experience, since other than GAF people or whatever, you probably won't play with anyone else but your Follower.

ZenaxPure

Also worth pointing out specifically, for multiplayer the game dynamically changes. When someone jumps into your game mobs get more HP but when they leave the mob HP goes back down. So you can just let people come in and out as you wish, no punishment for it.

Dahbomb

Since the Season is about to be over, it's time to see the highest GR rankings for the season:

Barbarians: 67
Crusader: 64
Demon Hunter: 67
Monk: 64
Witch Doctor: 61
Wizard: 66

In the next season, most classes should be able to clear GR 70.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
got the piercing poison dart dagger and decided to give the carnevil build another go, good lord at the difference with the dagger o_O

wont the change to only 5 of the fetiches shooting darts be a gigantic nerf to that build tho? are they buffing the dmg of those 5 fetiches?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
got the piercing poison dart dagger and decided to give the carnevil build another go, good lord at the difference with the dagger o_O

wont the change to only 5 of the fetiches shooting darts be a gigantic nerf to that build tho? are they buffing the dmg of those 5 fetiches?

Right, those darts do more damage so it works out to be the same. It's actually an improvement due to the mobility of the new setup, plus the spawned sycophants are affected by +Fetish Army damage now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Right, those darts do more damage so it works out to be the same. It's actually an improvement due to the mobility of the new setup, plus the spawned sycophants are affected by +Fetish Army damage now.

And the rest of the little guys will now tank as usual? That's one of my big pet peeves with the build.

I really really need to get a starmetal kukri now, if not to use it at least for the cube passive.that and the fetiche belt are the 2 items that still illude me

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I had to use 3 mules and filled up my stash yet again with all of the crap legendaries I want to use for the cube.

I might not be playing so much of season 4, just enough to get the unique awards and then spending most of the time on the non-season crushing all of those items. Although not too sure if I should just do that as I do season 4 instead.

Syntek

Since the Season is about to be over, it's time to see the highest GR rankings for the season:

Barbarians: 67
Crusader: 64
Demon Hunter: 67
Monk: 64
Witch Doctor: 61
Wizard: 66

In the next season, most classes should be able to clear GR 70.

A handful from each class will hit that mark, rest of the leaderboard will be ~10 tiers behind. I'm guessing the average leaderboard will settle at the low 60s for most classes.

Dahbomb

The Kanai cube addition (inherent power creep) plus the GR changes means that most classes should be able to do 65 by now.

Rift bosses aren't as much of an issue anymore, Conduits are still strong. Good rift fishing plus well optimized gear for clearing trash should be enough to push just about any class to 65.

For classes like Monks, 70 is the new 60.

Raticus79

Applied to the main clan. Battletag is Wolf#11957. Overflow clan seems dead. With the announcement of the mount in HotS, I figured now would be a good time to jump back in to finish the Reaper of Souls story and then start a seasonal character when S4 drops.

Ok, you should have the invitation waiting now.

First time I've seen a 5 digit battletag - guess they must have added that recently, I thought it was a typo at first.

The Kanai cube addition (inherent power creep) plus the GR changes means that most classes should be able to do 65 by now.

Rift bosses aren't as much of an issue anymore, Conduits are still strong. Good rift fishing plus well optimized gear for clearing trash should be enough to push just about any class to 65.

For classes like Monks, 70 is the new 60.

I'm gonna miss fishing for Stone boy :(

Raticus79

Well, time for that stash cleanup. Lots of people logging on to get that out of the way, heh.

Really curious to see if there are any last-minute changes that sneak into the patch notes on Tuesday. I'm expecting something regarding debuffing enemy damage to 0 by stacking enough damage debuffs. (changed to the same model as cooldown reduction)

Xanathus

I logged in to start clean up but quickly realized I should wait for the Kanai Cube patch to hit so that I could clean up even more stuff.

Syntek

Favorite part of season end: leaderboard reset and brief moments of glory.

6MB1PBS.jpg

Rhaknar

I can barely do 37s solo and 40s with a friend ;_;

Edit: do cold rune piranhas have a bigger area? Looks huge in that video :eek:

Cheers.

Have you got any idea which stats effect the Demon Hunter?

Dex(or is it Agi in this game, I can never remember). Most of the gear will drop with your main stat, only once in a while(10% of the time) you'll get str(barb/crusader) or int(witch doctor/wizard).

If you're asking what in general are good stats, I recommend checking this guide out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3DemonHunters/wiki/newdh

Not only does it explain general leveling builds and strategies(some of which might be slightly outdated, but not much since DH hasn't changed much and won't change much in 2.3), it also has a general gearing guide so you know what stats to look for on your gear on slots. In general, crit/crit dmg/sockets when it's possible are the big ones, with dex being filler, and cooldown/area damage/ressource/attackspeed/skill%/elemental% being build specific. Defensive stats is more of a general thing rather than slot specific, you want enough to not die so that kinda depends on what you already have and such.

Radec

I'm not entirely sure how the PTR is set up but Stricken is a seasonal item. Are you doing S4 PTR? Is that even a thing right now?

Just guessing here.

Damn, I didn't realized there was a "Season" in PTR.

No wonder Lion's Claw and Bane of the Stricken won't drop on me. lol

Addnan

That was a little inspiring. I think I will try and see how high I can go before the patch releases. I did 38 without dying a week ago. Think my build(similar to the one above, but not close to the rolls he has) can do 40-45.

Btw, do we know what T10 equals to in GR? T6 is really easy now and I do wonder if T10 will be much of a challenge.

Wolfie5

Hmm, maybe with the cube I might be able to play T10.

Anyway, just read that season 3 legs will drop for non-seasonal characters today. Should be obvious since season is over, but I hadn't given it a thought.
Besides trying the highest GR I can do, I now have another reason to play today. I really want that short man's finger.

Rhaknar

so what kind of gear do people have to do these 60+ rifts? is it all ancient gear?

like I cant do a 37 with my carnevil WD for example (just failed twice), and while my gear isnt optimal, I do have the zunimassa, and the head, and the dagger etc, the main components. It might just be me being shit (lol) but I was just curious, especially when the difficulty spikes in these rifts is crazy (like I pissed on the 36 rift and then the 37 absolutely destroys me)

also, pet cooldowns on WD is murder for rifts, im glad they are adding fetich army cooldown reduction to zunimassa 2p

Dahbomb

so what kind of gear do people have to do these 60+ rifts? is it all ancient gear?
The best build
Lvl70+ gems (3 best ones, one of them is always Bane of the Trapped).
Paragon 1000+ (for the stats, they help)
Minimum Ancient weapons (having Ancient slots on other items helps too)
R Gift the weapon to get that extra stat
Maximize CDRs and crits
All stats on the items be relevant/strong stats (even secondaries in some cases)
Fishing for Rifts and Stoneboys. Some Rifts are very easy to beat and then there's a boss called Stonesinger which has like less than half the health of most other bosses. Stonesinger is removed now though.

People who generally have all of these do generally have Ancients in all slots too with the proper rolls.

The way people actually push GRs is that they spend the entire season playing as an EXP leech character to maximize Paragon points. They get to like 1200+ Paragon points just gain EXP and gear without actually pushing solo GRs (they do team GRs which usually average higher than solo GR clears so they get to upgrade their gems past 70). Then when the season is about to be over they push the GRs to get the 60+ clears. If you saw the leaderboards then you would realize that most of those highest ranked clears were done in the past couple of days.

This is actually a huge problem in the game and something that Blizzard should definitely fix.

ZenaxPure

The best build
Maximize CDRs and crits
All stats on the items be relevant/strong stats (even secondaries in some cases)
Fishing for Rifts and Stoneboys. Some Rifts are very easy to beat and then there's a boss called Stonesinger which has like less than half the health of most other bosses. Stonesinger is removed now though.

Also in addition to this experience and understanding is still incredibly important. You can see it in the linked video above but a big part of clearing rifts is just knowing what you should actually be killing and when. Not every elite pack is worth it and neither is killing every single mob you come across. Controlling enemies is incredibly important because you want as much density as you can create since AOE damage is a huge part of these kinds of games. That is why in that video you will often see the guy run around and skip mobs. Some times he will just run away if he doesn't like what he sees but other times he will be kiting them into an area where he can clump them up and AOE them down.

Firemind

I just had my second ancient drop yesterday and it's a Hexing Pants. X.X

Considering my main is WW barb, should I use it and use RORG instead of a Physical SOJ with 30% elite damage?

I also have a Convention of the Elements with CC, CD and socket but I think that's better than SOJ.

Rhaknar

The best build
Maximize CDRs and crits

People who generally have all of these do generally have Ancients in all slots too with the proper rolls.

The way people actually push GRs is that they spend the entire season playing as an EXP leech character to maximize Paragon points. They get to like 1200+ Paragon points just gain EXP and gear without actually pushing solo GRs (they do team GRs which usually average higher than solo GR clears so they get to upgrade their gems past 70). Then when the season is about to be over they push the GRs to get the 60+ clears. If you saw the leaderboards then you would realize that most of those highest ranked clears were done in the past couple of days.

This is actually a huge problem in the game and something that Blizzard should definitely fix.

I see. so I shouldnt be TOO worried that im "stuck" at about 37ish range solo / 40ish range with a friend (hes about similary geared as me, little more paragons, hes in the 400s im in the 300s)

also I dont know what fishing and stoneboys are lol

Also in addition to this experience and understanding is still incredibly important. You can see it in the linked video above but a big part of clearing rifts is just knowing what you should actually be killing and when. Not every elite pack is worth it and neither is killing every single mob you come across. Controlling enemies is incredibly important because you want as much density as you can create since AOE damage is a huge part of these kinds of games. That is why in that video you will often see the guy run around and skip mobs. Some times he will just run away if he doesn't like what he sees but other times he will be kiting them into an area where he can clump them up and AOE them down.

I just kill everything :/

ZenaxPure

I just had my second ancient drop yesterday and it's a Hexing Pants. X.X

Considering my main is WW barb, should I use it and use RORG instead of a Physical SOJ with 30% elite damage?

I also have a Convention of the Elements with CC, CD and socket but I think that's better than SOJ.

Depends on what kind of WW build you are using. If you are full WW you want obsidian ring of the zodiac and a convention of the elements. If you are a mix of WW and IK rorg and CoE are the go to rings I think (not entirely sure anymore since WW/IK isn't all that great compared to straight WW).

That said a lot of shit is changing in the patch thanks to the cube so it doesn't really matter right this second.

Firemind

Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac... Really? I have one in my stash but I thought it was trash for barbs. Do you use it to reset WotB or something? Never tested it. :lol

Addnan

Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac... Really? I have one in my stash but I thought it was trash for barbs. Do you use it to reset WotB or something? Never tested it. :lol

It cools down skills. It's only useful non season if it dropped after the seasonal rollover.

I had one on mine but I think once you have enough CDR, with 4IK you have perma wotb anyway so probably not needed, but it's nice before you get there, WW procs it a ton.

But yeah gearing options will be different like tomorrow. You can just cube rorg for example.

ZenaxPure

WoTB and Ignore Pain. Required for greater rift pushing but it's just the best ring even for T6 rift farming since you can have 100% uptime on WoTB with it.

WW ticks multiple times per second and each tick is proccing the ring, so you are removing multiple seconds of cooldown every 1 second.

I had one on mine but I think once you have enough CDR, with 4IK you have perma wotb anyway so probably not needed, but it's nice before you get there, WW procs it a ton.

That's why I mentioned the 2 different builds. Obsidian is useless for a WW/IK build because of the set bonus, but, WW/IK is VASTLY inferior to a full WW build because you can't use BK weapons which means you are dropping 30% move and attack speed both of which are key to WW builds (the 30% attack speed especially).

Firemind

Which is the new version? Season 3 or 4? Because I remember the one I found also had the unique property to reduce cooldown.

I'll have a look when I'm home.

Addnan

I don't really understand. They changed its properties as of season 4? Because I found it in season 3.

If you found it in season 3 then you are good. Every time you use a resourcing spending attack it coolsdown the next skill by 1 second. so cools down call of the ancient, wrath of beserker etc quite fast.

WoTB and Ignore Pain. Required for greater rift pushing but it's just the best ring even for T6 rift farming since you can have 100% uptime on WoTB with it.

WW ticks multiple times per second and each tick is proccing the ring, so you are removing multiple seconds of cooldown every 1 second.

That's why I mentioned the 2 different builds. Obsidian is useless for a WW/IK build because of the set bonus, but, WW/IK is VASTLY inferior to a full WW build because you can't use BK weapons which means you are dropping 30% move and attack speed both of which are key to WW builds (the 30% attack speed especially).

Oh haven't really looked into endgame barb, thought the BK WW build was for speed farming and high rifts used 4IK 6WW, I see, makes sense.

And yeah misread your comment, doesn't help that WW=Wrath of Wastes and Whirlwind abbreviation.

Firemind

If you found it in season 3 then you are good. Every time you use a resourcing spending attack it coolsdown the next skill by 1 second. so cools down call of the ancient, wrath of beserker etc quite fast.
Ah, okay. I get it now. There was some confusion because the seasonal rollover happened yesterday. :lol

ZenaxPure

Oh haven't really looked into endgame barb, thought the BK WW build was for speed farming and high rifts used 4IK 6WW, I see, makes sense.

And yeah misread your comment, doesn't help that WW=Wrath of Wastes and Whirlwind abbreviation.

Yeah lol, idk if they did that on purpose but it's annoying.

It all really comes down to skill/equipment slot allocation. To get IK/WW you need 4 gear slots and 1 active skill slot (2 pieces of IK armor, IK weapon, and Call of the Ancients). WW/BK accomplishes the exact same thing with 2 gear slots and 1 passive skill slot (ORotZ, BK weapons, Weapon Master passive skill). Getting rid of Call of the Ancients is the big thing since IK/WW requires you use an active skill slot for fury generation where as WW/BK fury generation comes from a passive skill slot. Call of the Ancients is kind of a wasted slot since it doesn't contribute much DPS and offers almost next to 0 defense since you have to use the fury generation rune.

But anyhow, as mentioned by you, me, and everyone else this only really matters right this second. With the patch coming out a lot of stuff is going to change/have more options thanks to changed set bonuses and the cube.

VoxPop

What class is the new hotness this season? Is it going to be monk again? I hate the constant button mashing and would like to just go the lazy route with DH if it will stil be viable.

Addnan

What class is the new hotness this season? Is it going to be monk again? I hate the constant button mashing and would like to just go the lazy route with DH if it will stil be viable.

You obviously haven't been following Natalya's DH if you think it's the lazy route.

Raticus79

Sadly, it's still going to be the situation with 2 DPS + 2 exp bonus characters in season 4. Apparently one of the CMs said so on a stream... will know for sure with those patch notes tomorrow I guess. At least the DPS characters in the group will keep up with the exp bonus characters this time around.

Barb's pretty much on lock for one zDPS slot with group ignore pain and the ability to gather enemies really well with ancient spear. What about the second? Seems to be a toss-up between WD and Crusader.

Play HC. People can't leach exp on T10 there (I hope).

The zDPS characters would be especially safe in HC because they can put everything into defensive stats and abilities. By the way, the leeching's being done in greater rifts, not T10, due to how the multipliers work. They're added on top of any exp bonuses from torment difficulty (e.g. 3000% -> 3200% = 1.07x improvement) vs straight-up multiplying a higher base value from the monsters in GR's (100% -> 300% = 3x improvement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom