• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Exclusive - The Last Of Us Part 2 - PS5 Pro PSSR Upgrades Tested

omegasc

I never understood how people could believe that PS5 Slim plates woult fit on the Pro...

I mean the size of the two consoles is completely different. How could they possibly fit?

LOL
the "stripes" can make up for the extra size.
It's only taller than the Slim, isn't it?

edit: it's just 0.8cm taller. The "stripes" can easily cover the difference.

DimensionsH: 9.6cm | W: 35.8cmH: 10.4cm | W: 35.8cm

Last edited:

Kerotan

ZzZz

It already looked great. Fucking sony man... Show us games that looked like dogshit in 60 fps modes. Like Alan Wake 2 or even the new SW outlaws game or jedi survivor or show us what the boost mode can do to unpatched games like elden ring or FF16 etc. They decide to show THIS instead
It looked great but the resolution was too low when you opened for the high frame mode.

midnightAI

9gqG9Pn.jpeg
Did you just 4x ZOOM into the 4x ZOOM?

FrankWza

Apparently this post here:

I think the image is an error, personally.
Ah ok. Yeah I think so too. The disk drive situation makes it so much easier to just have one of this split design style for each. I edited my last post and apparently the slim has glossy top and matte bottom.
I never understood how people could believe that PS5 Slim plates woult fit on the Pro...

I mean the size of the two consoles is completely different. How could they possibly fit?

LOL
Basically the explanation below. There are more ridges but they're at the center. Plus the disc drive fits
the "stripes" can make up for the extra size.
It's only taller than the Slim, isn't it?

edit: it's just 0.8cm taller. The "stripes" can easily cover the difference.

DimensionsH: 9.6cm | W: 35.8cmH: 10.4cm | W: 35.8cm

Last edited:

omegasc

Ah ok. Yeah I think so too. The disk drive situation makes it so much easier to just have one of this split design style for each. I edited my last post and apparently the slim has glossy top and matte bottom.

Basically the explanation below. There are more ridges but they're at the center. Plus the disc drive fits
I don't think you got me... the stripes make up for the difference in size, making the plates interchangeable. But we'll see. In this photo it seems that the Pro does not have that glossy top one, thankfully.

a53e4f9390533d7070704a70a9940df8cc329e6d.jpg

@ 6:41 there's a ton more jaggies in the fidelity mode on the bench while pro mode is smoother while providing a sharper image that's impressive even on YouTube
clJFoO6.jpeg

FrankWza

Disc plate will be the same. The others I still believe will be the same, but there are conflicting information all over the internets.
A little nitpicky but I hope it's all matte.
I don't think you got me... the stripes make up for the difference in size, making the plates interchangeable. But we'll see. In this photo it seems that the Pro does not have that glossy top one, thankfully.

a53e4f9390533d7070704a70a9940df8cc329e6d.jpg
Yeah I was using your quote to respond to misterxtv

Audiophile

In motion on my TV this is really ugly to me, the sharpening pass they're using is far too strong.

It's giving me James Cameron 4K Blu-ray vibes with their AI/DNR/Sharpening or flashbacks to early universal catalogue Blu-rays with Edge Enhancement. It's unnaturally sharp to the point of distraction with a faint ringing to everything, there's such a thing as too much delineation. I simple couldn't play this.

It's gonna suck if a lot of games come out on the Pro using PSSR with otherwise great image quality and they ruin it with ugly sharpening that can't be disabled by the user.

I wanna get a Pro eventually, but if they force stuff like this into games and I end up having to roll back to old PS5 modes, it'd make having one pointless for certain titles. They need to take a leaf out of Insomniac's book and disable the sharpening pass (or better yet, should anyone like this, provide the option). Or look at Guerilla with their bespoke solution which favours a slightly softer but much more natural image.

Fingers-crossed devs see the light and skip or limit the PSSR sharpen pass. PSSR seems quite capable without inserting and cranking up rudimentary, artificial methods like this.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
In motion on my TV this is really ugly to me, the sharpening pass they're using is far too strong.

It's giving me James Cameron 4K Blu-ray vibes with their AI/DNR/Sharpening or flashbacks to early universal catalogue Blu-rays with Edge Enhancement. It's unnaturally sharp to the point of distraction with a faint ringing to everything, there's such a thing as too much delineation. I simple couldn't play this.

It's gonna suck if a lot of games come out on the Pro using PSSR with otherwise great image quality and they ruin it with ugly sharpening that can't be disabled by the user.

I wanna get a Pro eventually, but if they force stuff like this into games and I end up having to roll back to old PS5 modes, it'd make having one pointless for certain titles. They need to take a leaf out of Insomniac's book and disable the sharpening pass (or better yet, should anyone like this, provide the option). Or look at Guerilla with their bespoke solution which favours a slightly softer but much more natural image.

Fingers-crossed devs see the light and skip or limit the PSSR sharpen pass. PSSR seems quite capable without inserting and cranking up rudimentary, artificial methods like this.

It looks great on my TV, I don’t see the sentiment you are sharing. You prefer blurry TAA?

That's weird because when he doesn't zoom in 4x and just show regular footage it's pristine on my TV with no signs of image break up even when he zooms in I don't find the image distracting at all especially compared to FSR.

It's already known that PSSR sharpening is being dialed back as it's not necessary

I don't know what SDK version was installed on that DevKit. It will be superseded anyway by the time the console launches next month

The bottom plates would be the same on both then, since the depth and height of the drive cover.

The top is where they would differ.

The PS5 Blog post was very clear IMO

Players can add an Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive, or swap out console covers when they become available = not the same as PS5 Slim

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It's already known that PSSR sharpening is being dialed back as it's not necessary

I don't know what SDK version was installed on that DevKit. It will be superseded anyway by the time the console launches next month
Why don't they just have a sharpening slider? I'm still baffled some games ship without one on PC.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
I have to say, watching the video on my panel and as someone who already has hundreds of hours of the game (No Return addiction is a bitch) in its Performance Mode and therefore extremely used to every facet of its visual presentation, everytime full screen, regular gameplay footage from the Pro appeared:

Slam Dunk Wow GIF by NBA

Every single time. 4X Zooms were nice and all, but I really wish we got more regular footage screentime because it was legit insane. Just as insane as going, towards the end of the video, from that atrocious Outlaws footage, which is a current gen game from late 2024, to this old gen one looking as impressive today as it did half a decade ago. Looks like Pro for me is going to be justified even just by how satisfying TLOU Part I future playthough are going to be, if it's anything like this. Foliage in particular is a huge factor given how much better it's resolved in comparison to Fidelity mode.

Vick

Gold Member

What's the TV, and sharpness settings on it?

It is indeed insanely sharp even via this YT footage, but ironically there were more oversharpen artifacts from the old TAA + sharpen than there are now. Zero issues whatsoever when it came to regular, full screen footage on my calibrated panel. I would suggest running some sharpness patters:

Last edited:

Parazels

The Pro has to be looked at through the lens of a console, not a PC. A PC at $700 with those specs would be a steal. A console, however? Well, the market has spoken and they think it’s too expensive. Same way you could cram a 4090 and 7800X3D into a console and sell it for $1500, but people would be up in arms about the price.

Now it’s become clear as day that the days of Sony subsidizing consoles are somewhat done, explaining in part why the Pro is $700 and not $500-600.
1)The console is not available yet. What the hell did the market "speak"?
2) Manufacturers normally subsidize new gen consoles, not Pros.

Gaiff

1)The console is not available yet. What the hell did the market "speak"?
We’re going to pretend that the price was well-received?
2) Manufacturers normally subsidize new gen consoles, not Pros.
Considering Sony hasn’t dropped the price of the Pro despite it starting to break even within months, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that they won’t subsidize the PS6 either.

Parazels

Also, PC is more expensive, that's right but most of the time the cost can be split and once you have your first PC you can do gradual improvements over the time, which is why maybe to many it's just better or feels kinda cheaper.
You will never improve the shitty operation system and interface on pc.
Hardware is not the only component of good user experience.

twilo99

Gold Member
The thing that's exciting about PSSR is that its ver. 1.0 so in theory there should be quite a bit of room for improvement, unless they got it spot on their first try, but I doubt it.

Also, bodes well for upcoming AMD hardware.

The next big thing to tackle is the ugly lag frame generation introduces which makes fast paces shooters that rely on low latency and high framerates unplayable, at least for me..

Parazels

We’re going to pretend that the price was well-received?

Considering Sony hasn’t dropped the price of the Pro despite it starting to break even within months, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that they won’t subsidize the PS6 either.
What the hell are you talking about?!
Your conclusions are based on NOTHING!

Price drop? Hahaha!

Last edited:

Bojji

TLOU 2 is their best work to date my man. I don't need to know any resolution to know that.

I really like this game (and there are tons of haters, liking it is not popular) but it's clear to me that somewhere before UC4 something went wrong with the studio. UC4 was the weakest main game in the series (or on par with DF), they improved the formula with LL and then Last of Us was very good but I don't know... Part 1 was well done but not on par with the best remakes in the industry. ND was in top 3 developers world wide at some point (in my opinion of course), I don't think they are there now.

This game is too sharp with PSSR, most of the unsuitability in motion comes from this I think. Insomniac disabled sharpening so it's adjustable. Control over this should be in players hands but developers like to keep console gamers with as little options as possible.

Last edited:

Gaiff

What the hell are you talking about?!
Your conclusions are based on NOTHING!
>Everyone bitching about the price
>Your conclusions are based on nothing
Price drop? Hahaha!
Not enough brains to follow? The PS5 hasn’t seen a price drop in 4 years. Sony has been breaking even or making a profit for a while now. Normally at that point, there would have been a price drop to increase adoption, but there hasn’t been.

Nintendo also doesn’t sell at a loss and never has with the Switch. The PS6 won’t be $400-500. Sony will either break even or make a profit upon release.

Vick

Gold Member
Not enough brains to follow? The PS5 hasn’t seen a price drop in 4 years. Sony has been breaking even or making a profit for a while now. Normally at that point, there would have been a price drop to increase adoption, but there hasn’t been.
To be fair Gaiff, you said "Sony hasn’t dropped the price of the Pro despite it starting to break even within months".

Hence his confusion.

Parazels

>Everyone bitching about the price
>Your conclusions are based on nothing

Nintendo also doesn’t sell at a loss and never has with the Switch. The PS6 won’t be $400-500. Sony will either break even or make a profit upon release.
I'm sure Gaiff's complaints in the internets will not affect good sales of PS5 PRO.

Perhaps, PS6 will cost $600-700. And?

Last edited:

ap_puff

I really like this game (and there are tons of haters, liking it is not popular) but it's clear to me that somewhere before UC4 something went wrong with the studio. UC4 was the weakest main game in the series (or on par with DF), they improved the formula with LL and then Last of Us was very good but I don't know... Part 1 was well done but not on par with the best remakes in the industry. ND was in top 3 developers world wide at some point (in my opinion of course), I don't think they are there now.

This game is too sharp with PSSR, most of the unsuitability in motion comes from this I think. Insomniac disabled sharpening so it's adjustable. Control over this should be in players hands but developers like to keep console gamers with as little options as possible.
I don't see how you can say it's too sharp with PSSR when there's so many more oversharpening ringing artifacts on the base game, you can see it anywhere there's a edge with sharp contrast or drastic luminance difference

SKYF@ll

If we sit on the couch and play on a 40-55 inch TV, the image quality of the PS5 Pro looks perfect.
Gamers playing on PS5 or Xbox Series X will notice the difference in image quality with FSR without zooming. (The frame rate is also doubled.)
If you are not satisfied with PSSR 4K/60fps, you can solve the problem by purchasing a high-end PC.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
If we sit on the couch and play on a 40-55 inch TV, the image quality of the PS5 Pro looks perfect.
Gamers playing on PS5 or Xbox Series X will notice the difference in image quality with FSR without zooming. (The frame rate is also doubled.)
If you are not satisfied with PSSR 4K/60fps, you can solve the problem by purchasing a high-end PC.

Yep I game with a 65” TV and the difference is striking. Pro looks razor sharp AND super smooth

I always picked Fidelity modes because they looked far more crisp and next gen to me

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
That it doesn't need a pro upgrade? When they made the ps5 remaster it was basically built to be forwards compatible with a pro and the inevitable ps6.
Nope.... The idea of console generations was to provide new shit. as simple as that. using a PS4 game to showcase the pro is very funny at best.

Gaiff

To be fair Gaiff, you said "Sony hasn’t dropped the price of the Pro despite it starting to break even within months".

Hence his confusion.
Clearly, I meant the regular PS5 because I said break even within months. My bad.
I'm sure Gaiff's complaints in the internets will not affect good sales of PS5 PRO.
I'm sure the price tag and lack of disc drive will. Judging by the amount of vitriol on the video's reveal where the Likes outweigh the Dislikes by almost 5 to 1, I'd say the public isn't happy with the pricing.

873dAWq.png

Perhaps, PS6 will cost $600-700. And?
And Sony won't be taking a loss at those prices, something they traditionally did.

However, I don't think Sony cares all that much that people aren't happy with the price. This is for hardcore enthusiasts who are willing to shell out the cash, so I don't think they're expecting a rapid adoption.

Bojji

I don't see how you can say it's too sharp with PSSR when there's so many more oversharpening ringing artifacts on the base game, you can see it anywhere there's a edge with sharp contrast or drastic luminance difference

Even it if somehow has sharpening it still looks soft as fuck (softer than most 4k native games) so it's not doing a good job.

Pro image looks good but it's oversharpened to some extend. At least for me, for some people sharper = better but I don't think like that.

Kerotan

Nope.... The idea of console generations was to provide new shit. as simple as that. using a PS4 game to showcase the pro is very funny at best.
That was the idea but now games have reached a point where they can't look much better but the res and frames sure as hell can.
Take GT7 for example the cars basically already look real. The biggest improvements for GT7 will be FPS and res.

Top Bottom