• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

So Microsoft have created a console more powerful than the Xbox One, goody.

However, it won't have any exclusive games as the games are cross platform to the One and the PC. A gaming PC is likely more powerful and offers more flexibility in terms of mods and cheating etc etc.

So you buy a Scorpio to play the next Halo or Gears or Forza (tired, unoriginal IP, churned out every couple years) with some extra frames and better AA...

...what am I missing here?...
Not every gamer plays or cares to play on a PC.

The general point is Bungie likely isn't going to go out their way to give the Scorpio version a first party developer style going over. It will look good, to some degree better than the Pro version, but likely only do to the default increased spec differences, and the same will be true of PC version.

It's in Bungie's best interest that it looks great on all the platforms, but I'm not sure them making a "definitive edition" for Scorpio will happen without MS paying them to do it, and given Bungie already has some kind of deal with Sony, that is unlikely currently.

not implying they will make a definitive edition. i am saying what you just said, they will take advantage of the extra power. 3gb ram extra should be enough to have differences.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I feel like such a dumbass whenever I read spec threads because there's always a line where I end up not understanding much. This is awesome stuff, right?

Very.

It's more an engineering feat as opposed to a pure spec feat if that makes sense though. But as I posted in the DF thread before the reveal, the console is performing things above what it's "pure numbers" would indicate.

On a surface level, it obviously doesn't sound all that impressive. Jaguar, Polaris, 12GB. But in this instance, it's not quite that simple.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I could see after about a year or so there being a few Scorpio/PC only games. After 3 years I expect Xbox One support to be dropped entirely.

GamingArena

trying-to-remember.gif

He is not far from the truth, show me a rig that can run Forza 6 full 4k60FPS with 60% GPu utilization ?

I'm getting the Sony X900E 4k LED TV. I think I can get one for less than a grand in June. No doubt that LG's OLED sets are better. But first, I have a small living room, and 50" is really my max. If not for me, my wife already thinks our 40" Toshiba is too big.

But I can't justify two grand too buy a 55" TV. I may get one in the future, when OLED is more standard. Or I will skip it, just like I did plasma, if it fails to remain viable.

And while Rtings.com has LG's B6 as their #1 HDR gaming TV, the Sony X900E is second, for a lot less. And honestly, some of the budget HDR TVs are still really good sets for HDR gaming. But I am going to stick with finding a 120 Hz set when I upgrade.

But you can get great TV for $650-$800. Yeah, OLED is better. But the price will come down eventually.
Same TV I'm getting, I saw it in person and it's amazing!!! IMO, OLED is just not worth paying almost double. The 2017 Sony and Samsung sets have improved HDR and way better contrast levels, that LG needs to down some IMO.

I really really want this. A lot of posters talking about it not being big enough of a jump over the ps4 pro are kind of missing the point. It's a massive upgrade on the Xbox one righting a lot of wrongs of the Xbox one launch.

And the people saying it isn't much more powerful than the PS4 Pro must have not read the article. Based on the specs, sounds like Scorpio is roughly 50% more powerful than PS4 Pro.

JaggedSac

So Microsoft have created a console more powerful than the Xbox One, goody.

However, it won't have any exclusive games as the games are cross platform to the One and the PC. A gaming PC is likely more powerful and offers more flexibility in terms of mods and cheating etc etc.

So you buy a Scorpio to play the next Halo or Gears or Forza (tired, unoriginal IP, churned out every couple years) with some extra frames and better AA...

...what am I missing here?...

If you are playing MS exclusive games on PC, you are using the Windows Store. If you are using the Windows Store you have given MS money for both the OS you have installed and the game purchases you have made. You are a MS customer, they like you whether you buy Scorpio or not.

System sounds promising depending on the price..E3 they GOTTA show off some new games that wow me.Sony is killing them in this department this gen and it's not even close.

Show me some new games and how they look on the Scorpio.Make me wanna upgrade my S.I really hope sea of thieves isn't their big game for this year as playing the alpha last Saturday I was bored after an hr :(.

Flintty

1080p TV here. There's an incredible amount of value for non 4k TV owners.

And future proof too, for when I get a 4K just as 8k is taking off!

Switch was going to be my only console purchase this year but definitely rethinking that, depending on price.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, they did not just take some beefy off the shelf components and slap together a more powerful system. Lots of design and thought went into engineering this thing to play games at an elegantly optimized level. The work of wizards.

BigEmil

He is not far from the truth, show me a rig that can run Forza 6 full 4k60FPS with 60% GPu utilization ?
Forza wouldn't be a good comparison for this considering it's a Microsoft game and its more optimised for their console and their PC UWP version is not optimised much, while other games at the same caliber of graphics or higher can achieve even better graphics + performance with it on PC

Its got to be $399. PS4 Pro will almost certainly be $349 this holiday, and probably include a pack-in like Horizon. There's no way MS can be at $499 no matter how much they keep shouting "ITS A PREMIUM PRODUCT WITH A PREMIUM PRICE".

If they launch at $499, it will take 18-24 months for the price to drop to a point where people will care. By then PS4 will be 5 years old and there will already be people whispering about PS5 which will leapfrog Scorpio.

MS needs to launch at $399 and leverage the spec advantage as long as they can.

Very awesome. Microsoft is creating quite a powerful console.

I doubt many here, maybe not even DF really understands what all the dx12, custom, cpu, secret sauce really means. All we have to go on is the paper specs which is significantly above PS4 Pro.

Very.

It's more an engineering feat as opposed to a pure spec feat if that makes sense though. But as I posted in the DF thread before the reveal, the console is performing things above what it's "pure numbers" would indicate.

On a surface level, it obviously doesn't sound all that impressive. Jaguar, Polaris, 12GB. But in this instance, it's not quite that simple.
Thanks, all! Definitely going to be spending some time reading everything in the OP.

massucci

Banned
I doubt many here, maybe not even DF really understands what all the dx12, custom, cpu, secret sauce really means. All we have to go on is the paper specs which is significantly above PS4 Pro.
The only significant step up it's the bandwidth. The other things...honestly not seems that mind blowing jump over pro. It's pratically the same gpu/cpu. Yeah there are some step up, don't let me wrong. More RAM for 4k texture it's great too. But if this thing will cost $499 (because bandwidth and more hardware is not exactly free)...changes surely the whole perspective about the two premium console.

Tomeru

Hardware has definitely been a problem for them this generation.

Every multiplatform game has been better on PS4.

This is a huge step in the right direction.

Obviously exclusives matter as well, but they need to be able to say something and now they will be able to show every third party game running and/or looking better on scorpio.

It normally just means 4k with all settings maxed.

I can't see a situation where 3rd party games runs at 10 or more fps on either console as being athe norm. To me it looks like a case of hardware for native 4k 30fps vs hardware for cb 4k 30fps. And that is why I said that games (1st party) matter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the situation between the og ps4 and xone were mainly resolution differences - which is what I suspect is what this is all about.

Somnia

Highly doubt initial release console will be bundled with any game.

Highly doubt it will release as early as September.

I'm going with a bundled game and late September to match up with Forza or October to match up with Crackdown or State of Decay. I still think MS will bundle some game with it, maybe Gears 4 to show off the bump to 4k, who knows.

sneas78

Banned
Hell yes... Good job @ Microsoft engineers... you guys should be proud.
It's obvious to me they put their heart into this. Welcome back .. this will be my first Xbox since the 360.

anothertech

They said it in the article. It means the gpu processing will be "super efficient"

I'm guessing right now, that means nothing. At least until we see some games running on it that perform differently.

Not that enticing, just like the Pro
They're aimed at enthusiasts
The PS4 Slim and Xbox One S will remain the consoles most people buy

I very much doubt it. Scorpio will easily outsell Xbox One S this fall unless there are manufacturing problems that limit the number they can make or unless Scorpio costs $600.

I'm just thinking about how the texture filtering is going to improve Halo 5. The game has some poor texture filtering on Xbox One. Even if they don't patch in 4k support it's gonna be looking nice at 1080p with 16x Anisotropic filtering.

I thought the issue was they couldn't go down the Zen road regardless of the cost.

Besides.. almost every video or statement so far has said that this is going to cost more. DF said it, Phil Spencer said in a Gamestop article...etc.

Premium price. If PS4 Pro costs $399, then I'm guessing that with this much RAM, Vapor Chamber cooling, ..etc. this isn't going to be at that price point.

Pricing really seems like it'll come down to how Microsoft wants to approach this. Pricing at $499 should mean that they're turning a profit on each unit sold. Pricing at $399 would likely mean they make little-to-no profit on each unit sold, with the hope of a wider adoption rate.

For Sony, it made sense to sell the PS4 Pro at a profit. Playstation is doing quite well right now, but Sony as a corporation is not. They just really can't afford to take a loss on hardware nor do they really need to. Microsoft has a ton of ground to gain in terms of marketshare, but it's likely they'll never truly catch up to PS4. At the very least, Scorpio being priced competitively could stand to introduce new customers into their ecosystem.

E3 can't come soon enough! I want these details!

Piper Az

I personally would be interested if MS releases a controller-less SKU to keep the price lower. For XBO owners, I suspect just getting the console out of the box maybe good enough.

Madness

And the people saying it isn't much more powerful than the PS4 Pro must have not read the article. Based on the specs, sounds like Scorpio is roughly 50% more powerful than PS4 Pro.

It is more powerful than the PS4 Pro than the PS4 was compared to Xbox One based on the specs no? So maybe Scorpio will be 4K and PS4 Pro will be the 4Kpr ports. Even still, it is the other stuff that is more exciting in that DX12 baked in, much more efficient cooling, a whopping 12 gb of RAM, even if 4gb is for the OS, you know they will make them utilize more down the line to maybe push textures etc.

Salvadora

I very much doubt it. Scorpio will easily outsell Xbox One S this fall unless there are manufacturing problems that limit the number they can make or unless Scorpio costs $600.
Disagree.

Even if Microsoft hit it out of the park, which it looks like they could do, it's a simple case of price regardless of $600, $500, or $400. The Xbox One S is cheaper and will play every game released this fall on the platform.

Holiday buyers are very conscious of that and will get the cheaper option.

singhr1

I'm going with a bundled game and late September to match up with Forza or October to match up with Crackdown or State of Decay. I still think MS will bundle some game with it, maybe Gears 4 to show off the bump to 4k, who knows.

Actually, now that I think about it.. an early release wouldn't be so crazy considering they've been talking about specs for it since last E3.

They will absolutely not bundle Madden or some sports game (if they do at all) with this thing though. Their market are the "premium" customers not the average consumer who buys the annual sports franchise release.

The obvious one is Forza. It will be a hot looking racing game to show off at 4K.

There is probably a high overlap in the customers who own Gears 4 and the customers who are interested in buying this thing.

Top Bottom