• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

BibiMaghoo

Got to hand it to them, it was a mighty smart move giving the reveal to people that can actually explain what it is, and what the difference between it and its competition is. They could not have pulled this off themselves with a press release or even an hour show. Very slick.

daman824

2013: "guys don't worry, xb1 and PS4 games will look the same. Why would devs spend extra time and money optimizing for PS4 when they don't really have to"

2017: "guys don't worry, ps4pro and Scorpio games will look the same. Why would devs spend extra time and money optimizing for Scorpio when they don't really have to"

Misterhbk

I didn't watch the event, but I'm scrolling through trying to figure out what they announced. Seems it was more specs talk? Any game announcements? Will there be Scorpio exclusives?

Trace

Banned
2013: "guys don't worry, xb1 and PS4 games will look the same. Why would devs spend extra time and money optimizing for PS4 when they don't really have to"

2017: "guys don't worry, ps4pro and Scorpio games will look the same. Why would devs spend extra time and money optimizing for Scorpio when they don't really have to"

Are you implying games are properly optimized for PS4 Pro as of now? Because 90% of them aren't.

ironcreed

Banned
I was saying from my standpoint as someone on a PC I didn't see what I needed to consider a Scorpio when I own a PC and didn't see the value I would have liked comparitive to PC as an option for Microsoft titles now. Why is that seen so antagonistically? It's an opinion.

That's cool. You prefer PC gaming and will still be able to experience Microsoft's games where you are comfortable playing them. Same for me over on Xbox, and as a console gamer, this is sounding like one of the smartest and definitely the most capable system ever made. It's exciting times over on my side of the lake.

Powerful consoles are a blast, sure it 'll update a game while in rest mode. But it's plug and play. No drivers, no tweaking, not having to browse performance threads and using 3rd party solutions. It's just beautiful.

iMax

Are you for real?What excites you to buy this?,

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

I think they'll benefit each other a bit.

Dabanton

right. a developer will not want their game to look good with an extra 1.8tf gpu power, 3 more Gbs of ram and 10% more cpu. Instead they will put their noses in the air, turn their cheek and say - nah fam we dont like you and we wont show what our artists/engineers/designers/colorists/etc can do with extra power.

it isnt about picking SIDES when developing a game that represents their company/employees.

lol

I'm legit disturbed when I see some posters with that train of thought. Marketing deals are mostly management decisions not the programmers or artists. How and why so many on here get massive hard ons for them is very telling. Like some seemingly love the idea that devs who have 'marketing agreements' with companies will actually undermine the other version of said game that they've created.

PS4 was the default more powerful console with less work needed to achieve a 1080p image it's looking like the Scorpio will now have that benefit.

I didn't watch the event, but I'm scrolling through trying to figure out what they announced. Seems it was more specs talk? Any game announcements? Will there be Scorpio exclusives?
Lots of specs. All the specs.

Just a glimpse at Forza.

No exclusives for Scorpio, but this was known since they announced it last year. All Xbox games will work across One, One S and Scorpio.

Gitaroo

Destiny 2 and RDR 2 are going to be stunning.

If Bungie didn't bother with using the extra juice from PS4 eve with exclusive marketing deal with sony II wouldn't bank on that. Same with Red Dead 2, both of those games have marketing deal with Sony, what the pro get is most likely what scorpio will get maybe beside more solid frame rate.

They made a 1.3 tf machine play and look the same on a 1.8tf machine. Same difference. But this time the 40% lower spec has marketing rights. I can see it happening. Yup.

Is the situation the same this time? it feels pretty different from my pov as ms is being very aggressive and showing us that the time to 'port' an engine to the scorpio engine takes less time than probably anticipated; or why mention the 2 day timeframe at all? What is that point to show the time-frame? yeah, that info is directly geared to the developer.

Also, MS sent engineers to bungie to assist them get destiny up to 1080p. they were content with ps4 at 1080p before the xbox console was moved up. different situation as in MS was involved with getting the resolution up.

the hypothetical situation implied by poster; bungie gets destiny 2 at 1800p and utilizes ps4p almost completely. while working on scorpio, they stop at 1800p because of marketing bought by sony.

Condesa, Mexico City.

There's none in Sears or Sansborns anyway, was there yesterday.

Haven't been to a Liverpool since just after Christmas but I'm heading there on Saturday so will check.

I'm not going buying one now though, at least not until we find out how much a Scorpio costs.

I see I live near Satelite City and I can find them pretty easily I didn't bought one because I'm saving for the Scorpio and a 4K tv also my Day One edition console still works fine

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This was only a spec reveal/deep dive.
No new games shown/revealed. Gotta wait for E3 for that. There will not be Scorpio exclusives as far as I know(yet).

I feel like such a dumbass whenever I read spec threads because there's always a line where I end up not understanding much. This is awesome stuff, right?

link1201

mostly all spec talk, no game announcements,no Scorpio exclusives.

$399 I'm thinking, now we know it's using older, more affordable Jaguar and Polaris tech and not newer and more expensive Zen and Vega.

Yeah, I think $399 makes sense, especially if they want to take market share early at the cost of selling the initial units for a loss, based on how they purposely didn't go down the more expensive zen road. They specifically cited affordable pricing for the reason for that decision.

It wasn't an event, it was a Digital Foundry deep dive into the specs with accompanying YouTube videos. E3 is where the game announcements will take place. Scorpio and Xbox One share the same library.

Got to hand it to them, it was a mighty smart move giving the reveal to people that can actually explain what it is, and what the difference between it and its competition is. They could not have pulled this off themselves with a press release or even an hour show. Very slick.

I can just imagine Don Matrick revealing this hahaha. Oh my. >.<

daman824

Are you implying games are properly optimized for PS4 Pro as of now? Because 90% of them aren't.
The difference between the pro and the Scorpio is more than enough for devs to get higher resolutions, more stable frame rates, better texture filtering, etc. without a whole ton of optimization.

I mean, that's like the whole point of the forza demonstration

What the fuck?!? I thought gaf would be smarter then this lol.

If hardware reveals/speculation have taught me anything, it's that the average gamer, hardcore or not, has no fucking clue about how things work, be it hardware, software, development, etc. but still loves to act as if they were an authority.

right, the poster said the company will not do anything more for the scorpio version vs the pro version ...[edit] because of promo rights bought by sony

The general point is Bungie likely isn't going to go out their way to give the Scorpio version a first party developer style going over. It will look good, to some degree better than the Pro version, but likely only do to the default increased spec differences, and the same will be true of PC version.

It's in Bungie's best interest that it looks great on all the platforms, but I'm not sure them making a "definitive edition" for Scorpio will happen without MS paying them to do it, and given Bungie already has some kind of deal with Sony, that is unlikely currently.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
This is a beast of a console and sounds like it will give current $2k gaming pc's a run for their money (forza 6, nonoptimized and coded in 2 days running at max ultra settings, 4K native resolution 60 fps with power to spare? Do you know how expensive a gaming PC that pulls that off would have to be?).

Any idea when pre-orders start?
no, it wont

singhr1

Come on now.

Are there drastic diffeneces now with current generation multiplatform titles?

On PC vs Console? Hell yes.

Most devs have those assets already implemented in the PC version. Optimizing them and smartly deploying them for a new SKU would be where those development costs would be, not building the assets themselves.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Yeah, I think $399 makes sense, especially if they want to take market share early at the cost of selling the initial units for a loss, based on how they purposely didn't go down the more expensive zen road. They specifically cited affordable pricing for the reason for that decision.

I thought the issue was they couldn't go down the Zen road regardless of the cost.

Besides.. almost every video or statement so far has said that this is going to cost more. DF said it, Phil Spencer said
...described the upgraded console as being a premium console that has a premium look. As such, he says that Scorpio is also likely to have a premium price
in a Gamestop article...etc.

Premium price. If PS4 Pro costs $399, then I'm guessing that with this much RAM, Vapor Chamber cooling, ..etc. this isn't going to be at that price point.

Hermii

I feel like such a dumbass whenever I read spec threads because there's always a line where I end up not understanding much. This is awesome stuff, right?

I doubt many here, maybe not even DF really understands what all the dx12, custom, cpu, secret sauce really means. All we have to go on is the paper specs which is significantly above PS4 Pro.

So Microsoft have created a console more powerful than the Xbox One, goody.

However, it won't have any exclusive games as the games are cross platform to the One and the PC. A gaming PC is likely more powerful and offers more flexibility in terms of mods and cheating etc etc.

So you buy a Scorpio to play the next Halo or Gears or Forza (tired, unoriginal IP, churned out every couple years) with some extra frames and better AA...

...what am I missing here?...

That you are not on the system wars forum.

Top Bottom