• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Went in totally blind in the PS4 league. Finished currently overall 9th last time I checked. Pretty happy with that especially since Im not that good with the 70s rally cars yet.

Does anybody have any good set ups for the Audi Quattro in group B? Its kind of an understeering piece of garbage out of the box.

Its got traction for days but doesnt turn into the corners for shit. Ive messed with the dif settings but still cant find anything that makes this car worth while...

Flo_Evans

Ah I see we went no restarts on the ps4 league... Shouldn't have done that as my warmup.

The rwd cars just scare the shit out of me lol. I always end up driving like a grandma or turned backwards.

Shaneus

Just fired this up for the first time in a while on PC, forgot how good yet brutal it was. Put in traction and stability control at 1 each, and while still brutal it's slightly more forgiving.

So I'm enjoying it a bit more now! And with a G27 it's fantastic. Are there any recommended settings for it floating around?

Turbo91GT

I'm rushing to get the PS4 weekly event done. I can't believe someone keeps beating me by almost a minute on each event. They must have some crazy rally skills.

xrnzaaas

Well after checking the leaderboards of the league event it looks like that people don't like the Fiat. :( I'm having a lot of fun with it at the moment in the career mode.

saladine1

Yeah, I've banged on before about the audio but I'm going to bang on again.
With audio being my favourite part of racing games (I know, weird) Dirt Rally is one of, if not the best sounding racing game to date.
Absolutely phenomenal audio work by Sullivan and co.

Makes me giddy about the potential of the next Grid game. Whatever happens, the same team MUST be on board for that game!!

Hey, Dave Sullivan, come in and join the fun, you are my new hero!

xrnzaaas

It's wonderful to hear that. Hopefully Codemasters will return to being the studio that makes (and, well, publishes) the best racing games out there.

GKB

Wait what? Whoa, that's totally unexpected.

Isn't Codemasters not in a good condition, financially speaking ?

I've been playing this for about a week now, and i'm really enjoying it. Definitely the best Codemasters racing game since Grid.

I've finally swapped in the Mini Cooper S for a 1970's Opel Kadett, and i have to say, it's a huge step up in terms of difficulty. It feels much more intimidating and it feels like every small mistake is has huge consequences. But the satisfaction i got from setting a good time reminded me of finally defeating Ornstein and Smough.

Also, is it just me or are the stages in Greece by far the most difficult? I feel like every small mistake results with my car tumbling over a cliff.

I've been playing this for about a week now, and i'm really enjoying it. Definitely the best Codemasters racing game since Grid.

I've finally swapped in the Mini Cooper S for a 1970's Opel Kadett, and i have to say, it's a huge step up in terms of difficulty. It feels much more intimidating and it feels like every small mistake is has huge consequences. But the satisfaction i got from setting a good time reminded me of finally defeating Ornstein and Smough.

Also, is it just me or are the stages in Greece by far the most difficult? I feel like every small mistake results with my car tumbling over a cliff.
For me its Wales. Hate Wales.

xrnzaaas

Yep Wales is probably the hardest one. Narrow roads surrounded by indestructible objects, cliffs, plenty of tricky sections especially at night or in bad weather conditions.

danowat

Banned

Yup, same for me, I think its a combination of the heavy gravel meaning it can be quite tough to initiate a slide, the EXTREMELY tight portions of the stages, and the inconsistent co-driver calls (right 6, you call that a 6?, REALLY?) make it really tough.

DD

1360604533-cameron-poe.gif

Putty

I was going to pick this up later what with DS3 and R&C imminent, and of course U4...BUT ...I bucked 8) What a fantastic game! Fantabulous handling model...Edge of the seat stuff! SSOO good...Are any of my DC chums playing the PS4 version?

GodofWine

BAH...I ran all 4 stages last night because for some reason I thought you couldn't save and exit during them...I now realize that after stage 2 I could have...oh well, for it being my first shot with a Rwd car (I've been 'learning' on the mini cooper) I did OK until stage 4, spun a lot in that one, but my pace is definitely improving...be brave.

(Every time he tells me to be brave, I hit something on exit lol)

xrnzaaas

BAH...I ran all 4 stages last night because for some reason I thought you couldn't save and exit during them...I now realize that after stage 2 I could have...oh well, for it being my first shot with a Rwd car (I've been 'learning' on the mini cooper) I did OK until stage 4, spun a lot in that one, but my pace is definitely improving...be brave.

(Every time he tells me to be brave, I hit something on exit lol)

Well if I understand correctly saving is only used if you don't have enough time to finish all four stages at once. If you make a mistake on SS3 or 4 and want to retry you'll have to complete all four special stages again... right??

danowat

Banned
Well if I understand correctly saving is only used if you don't have enough time to finish all four stages at once. If you make a mistake on SS3 or 4 and want to retry you'll have to complete all four special stages again... right??

Saving is only available at checkpoints / service points, for the league, you can't retry, period!

xrnzaaas

Saving is only available at checkpoints / service points, for the league, you can't retry, period!

But what happens if you save after SS2 and then quit the game while completing SS3 or SS4 (by simply going back to the dashboard and closing it)? This method allows you to "cheat" in the career mode. Does it work in the league as well or do you end up with only two special stages finished? I hope that Codemasters fixes this somehow although I don't think it's possible, because sometimes your game can freeze or you can get disconnected etc.

danowat

Banned
But what happens if you save after SS2 and then quit the game while completing SS3 or SS4? This method allows you to "cheat" in the career mode. Does it work in the league as well or do you end up with only two special stages finished?

You can't quit the game when restart is off (in leagues and daily/weekly/monthly events), you only get the option of retiring.

Well, I guess you could power cycle the system, but not sure that's wise.

Yeah, I've banged on before about the audio but I'm going to bang on again.
With audio being my favourite part of racing games (I know, weird) Dirt Rally is one of, if not the best sounding racing game to date.
Absolutely phenomenal audio work by Sullivan and co.

Makes me giddy about the potential of the next Grid game. Whatever happens, the same team MUST be on board for that game!!

Hey, Dave Sullivan, come in and join the fun, you are my new hero!

100% on point. so much detail in the sound. Pops, bangs, debris, and mean mean engine noise. Love it.

Side effect i have long since forgotten about: eye dryness from going 3-5 minutes without blinking.

xrnzaaas

You can't quit the game when restart is off (in leagues and daily/weekly/monthly events), you only get the option of retiring.

Well, I guess you could power cycle the system, but not sure that's wise.

I meant manually closing the game from the dashboard (after pressing the PS button). If that's not possible it's ok, if that is a possibility it should be fixed in one of the upcoming patches.

danowat

Banned
I meant manually closing the game from the dashboard (after pressing the PS button). If that's not possible it's ok, if that is a possibility it should be fixed in one of the upcoming patches.

I'd rather not risk losing anything, but try it and report back!.

On the subject of audio, yup, best racing game audio ever.

terrible

Banned
I wish the leagues were multiplatform. Looking at the PC times is kind of scary. There are only 5 times on the leaderboard and all of them are better than the #1 time in the PS4 league. No wonder I placed so poorly last week lol.

danowat

Banned
I wish the leagues were multiplatform. Looking at the PC times is kind of scary. There are only 5 times on the leaderboard and all of them are better than the #1 time in the PS4 league. No wonder I placed so poorly last week lol.

The plan is to amalgamate the PS4 and PC league times at the end of each season, hence why we set both leagues with the same settings.
We'll also try (if it's not too much work) to have an amalgamated league table too.

Don't worry, I'm sure I can underscore you ;)
I'm also feeling waning interest in the game. It's just not one of those games I can be interested in for long, but will certainly go back for plenty of times.

What is it with all the praise for the graphics and sound? Both are good and more than this game would have needed to succeed, but neither wowed me. It's impressive what this small team can achieve and on what comparatively cheap GPUs this game can look really good, but that's more of technical thing. The sound feels like it's also lacking fidelity(?)... kinda last-gen muddyness, hard to describe. Well, at least I'm not alone (share 100% of the opinions on sound ranking).

danowat

Banned
What is it with all the praise for the graphics and sound? Both are good and more than this game would have needed to succeed, but neither wowed me. It's impressive what this small team can achieve and on what comparatively cheap GPUs this game can look really good, but that's more of technical thing. The sound feels like it's also lacking fidelity(?)... kinda last-gen muddyness, hard to describe. Well, at least I'm not alone (share 100% of the opinions on sound ranking).

I agree with you on the graphics, it's decent, but nowhere near the best, but I disagree with you about the sound, it's the most visceral sounds I think I've heard in a driving game, lots of depth and subtlety as well as raw, brutal sounds as well.

For me its Wales. Hate Wales.

Yep Wales is probably the hardest one. Narrow roads surrounded by indestructible objects, cliffs, plenty of tricky sections especially at night or in bad weather conditions.

Surprised to see so much hate for Wales (well the rallystages that are set there, not the country). While i agree that Wales can be tricky, i can usually correct my mistakes without going offtrack whereas in Greece you don't have that luxury. Ditto for Sweden where i'm constantly crashing into snow piles. I'd say Finland and Germany are probably the easiest... relatively speaking.

Surprised to see so much hate for Wales (well the rallystages that are set there, not the country). While i agree that Wales can be tricky, i can usually correct my mistakes without going offtrack whereas in Greece you don't have that luxury. Ditto for Sweden where i'm constantly crashing into snow piles. I'd say Finland and Germany are probably the easiest... relatively speaking.

This.

Wales has less traction but also less "unrecoverable" pitfalls. Greece has more narrow, cliff side, weird camber roads that lead to bigger consequences when you get it wrong.

I actually seem to like Greece and Wales the most though.

I agree with you on the graphics, it's decent, but nowhere near the best, but I disagree with you about the sound, it's the most visceral sounds I think I've heard in a driving game, lots of depth and subtlety as well as raw, brutal sounds as well.

I wanted to try the sound with my Sennheiser HD600 headset and dug up youtube videos:
- Audi Quattro real life (bad clipping but "visceral" and kinda clear despite of the clipping)
- Audi Quattro in DiRT Rally (not visceral, muddy and not capturing the loudness and intensity)

But let's leave that to personal preference...

something else: do I see that right that the guy driving the Quattro in DiRT Rally is using the handbrake?? That shouldn't work in 80s 4WD group B cars, because you couldn't disengage the center differential back then. That was new in the 90s. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong the drivers right hand goes for the shifter, haven't tried it in the game.

xrnzaaas

Wales has plenty of sections where going off the track means you won't be able to get back... that's what happened to me in the current league event even though I knew I had to slow down and I was already driving very slow. :) In Greece I'm usually travelling at lower speeds so imo there's a bigger chance to correct a mistake before leaving the track for good. But yeah, the surface can be tricky. You just have to get used to it I guess. :)

As for Sweden, I think it depends on the car. It's hard to fight the car and stay out of the snow banks at the same time. In an easy car I like it and I can complete an entire stage without touching the snow banks (and with decent pace ofc).

For me Finland is the easiest one, especially when you'll learn most of the stages and you'll know which jumps feature difficult corners.

terrible

Banned
The plan is to amalgamate the PS4 and PC league times at the end of each season, hence why we set both leagues with the same settings.
We'll also try (if it's not too much work) to have an amalgamated league table too.

That's a good idea but it should just be a native feature!

Don't worry, I'm sure I can underscore you ;)

It'd be a battle lol. Just from looking at the friend leaderboards after I play an event I can see we're pretty close. Sometimes I run the better time and sometimes you have a better time than me.

That's a good idea but it should just be a native feature!

It'd be a battle lol. Just from looking at the friend leaderboards after I play an event I can see we're pretty close. Sometimes I run the better time and sometimes you have a better time than me.

I just finished the event. You can't go slower than me without wrecking your car entirely, believe me. I will defintely be in last place, but I had fun. Never had to try to finish an event in a completely destroyed car before, because normally I'd just restart the stage (maybe I should hire better mechanics for future league events ;D).

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Seems as though after adjusting my braking bias towards the rear of my Mini and spacing the gear ratio closer together, I'm getting somewhere in this. Now I have to figure out a way to keep myself from screwing up that one time in race.

terrible

Banned
I just finished the event. You can't go slower than me without wrecking your car entirely, believe me. I will defintely be in last place, but I had fun. Never had to try to finish an event in a completely destroyed car before, because normally I'd just restart the stage (maybe I should hire better mechanics for future league events ;D).

Haha I think my car was pretty beaten up in the last event last week too. It didn't seem to affect handling but the car was angry. I usually don't push too hard so I'm just overall slow so when I do actually go off it's pretty devastating for my time. My slow and steady strategy really banks on me not making a colossal mistake.

Using bumper cam is a brave move!

Lol yeah I used the in car view for my first season until hitting the wrong button whilst panicking, accidentally discovering I do better in bumper cam (which is what I use normally on DC & Gt) - at least in this game you don't get another car obscuring your view whilst drafting!

danowat

Banned
Lol yeah I used the in car view for my first season until hitting the wrong button whilst panicking, accidentally discovering I do better in bumper cam (which is what I use normally on DC & Gt) - at least in this game you don't get another car obscuring your view whilst drafting!
Everything just feels like warp factor 6 in bumper cam for me, but if it works for you!

Is this game fine to play on a DS4? I've been
lying to myself
waiting to buy this game for when I have money to buy a wheel along with it but I don't know if I can wait any longer... the driving itch is strong.

Top Bottom