• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

vidcons

Banned
I bought this on Green Man Gaming for $43. I know nothing about it other than whale oil, rats, and steam punk. Throwing out the idea that the ending is that you're a whale that possesses people.

Four more days till I figure out what this game PC Gamers Are Interest In is.

Yeah it was designed likely on the 360 first but the type of game it is was born as a PC genre. We just live in a time now when consoles are mainstream and strong enough to be the priority, and I'll be honest it likely won't be quite as complex or deep as the PC classics it takes inspiration from. But it's from PC game experts and still largely follows what makes them good.

So so true.

Either way, tuesday couldn't come soon enough.

Anyone got word of a preload?

sado

Y'know, things break...
I was just playing it the other day on PC and don't remember running into anything; it ran quite well. But that was near the beginning of the game.

For the first couple weeks after release, it had game breaking bugs that made it impossible to play. Arkane fixed them eventually but for those few weeks, it was a buggy mess. That's why I made the comment about waiting to see if it ends up being the same on the PC this time around before plopping down the bucks.

zkylon

zkylewd
He said he got up to the Capra Demon and then got overwhelmed by new games and didn't go back to it.
Oh, that's cool then. Might've slipped past me in the QL.

and I don't trust people who unironically use the term "hardcore games"
Way to go defensive over shit. No matter what you want to call these kinds of games, they're not Giant Bomb's forté, and that's alright, I'm just not gonna go to them for reviews on them.

so is this thread only for positive things about the game? sorry.
Interesting criticism is more than welcome, dumb stuff like "the animashunzz is shit!!" is pointless since no one comes to Dishonored for that.

And both the animations and the characters look pretty darned fine.

For the first couple weeks after release, it had game breaking bugs that made it impossible to play. Arkane fixed them eventually but for those few weeks, it was a buggy mess. That's why I made the comment about waiting to see if it ends up being the same on the PC this time around before plopping down the bucks.

Ah right; I missed that as I didn't have the game at the time. I certainly hope that isn't the case here.

I'm so jittery waiting for this game I went back to platinum Vanquish. Man Vanquish is awesome and its just the A.D.D cure I need right now.

gryz

Banned
Interesting criticism is more than welcome, dumb stuff like "the animashunzz is shit!!" is pointless since no one comes to Dishonored for that.

And both the animations and the characters look pretty darned fine.

it's a valid criticism, doing cool stuff in a 3d action game isn't very satisfying when the animations aren't well done. compare shooting a guy in MGS to shooting someone in one of the old splinter cell games. in MGS the enemy's body will react to your every shot, but in the original splinter cell they would just absorb bullets and then fall over.

Derrick01

Banned
it's a valid criticism, doing cool stuff in a 3d action game isn't very satisfying when the animations aren't well done. compare shooting a guy in MGS to shooting someone in one of the old splinter cell games. in MGS the enemy's body will react to your every shot, but in the original splinter cell they would just absorb bullets and then fall over.

But the original splinter cell was a much better stealth game than any of the MGS games from a mechanics and gameplay perspective. Isn't that more important for stealth games than animations from shooting people, which you shouldn't really be doing anyway?

But the original splinter cell was a much better stealth game than any of the MGS games from a mechanics and gameplay perspective. Isn't that more important for stealth games than animations from shooting people, which you shouldn't really be doing anyway?

Thats debatable. There completely different styles. I'd argue MGS's gameplay is more unique and fun. No other game does the quirky type stuff MGS does. It purely personal preference on which you prefer.

As far as the animations go, can you link the video you saw and point out these "janky animations?" I played the game at pax, and nothing stuck out to me as bad animation wise. Seemed good to me, a whole another level above something like Skyrim.

Folks, what do you think the DLC "plan" for Dishonored will be?
I for one don't have a clue but I guess the story will be pretty self-contained without the need for DLCs. *fingers crossed*
On the other hand, IF they make something good and "meaty" (like The Missing Link for DE:HR which I enjoyed immensely) then I'm up for it, but not yet, couple of months down the road, sure.

Folks, what do you think the DLC "plan" for Dishonored will be?
I for one don't have a clue but I guess the story will be pretty self-contained without the need for DLCs. *fingers crossed*
On the other hand, IF they make something good and "meaty" (like The Missing Link for DE:HR which I enjoyed immensely) then I'm up for it, but not yet, couple of months down the road, sure.

Some of those retail "exclusive" packs seem like an obvious choice. I'm hoping those get released for free as they are inherently dumb for us as players.

I'm thinking that if they do add DLC that it'll be a new section of city added along with new assassination/powers. Though, that could be entirely dependent on how the story ends. I imagine it could be possible that someone new hires you to do contracts. Only time will tell I guess.

branny

I'd be up for some powers DLC if the game ends up lacking in that department. A few new things here and there could make tackling the game feel totally fresh again.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Thats debatable. There completely different styles. I'd argue MGS's gameplay is more unique and fun. No other game does the quirky type stuff MGS does. It purely personal preference on which you prefer.
I dunno about that, splinter cell is pretty "dull" as far as stealth games go, I'd argue chaos theory is pretty damn good still, but both splinter cell and pt are horribly dated due to their extreme linearity and lack of options compared to the likes of MGS, Hitman, Thief etc.

MGS is more than just a stealth game though as it's part action, part adventure, part puzzle, so you are right about it being a different style of game.

You should always get the 360 version of a multiplatform game if it's an option. In fact I don't know why you'd even consider the ps3 one if you had both.

I used to always do this, then some games started coming out where the difference wasn't as big, and I prefer the DS3 controller, sue me :p.

Thankfully I had the good sense to assume Skyrim would run better on my 360.

I'm getting the PS3 version from Gamefly, so I'll wait for impressions before choosing a console version to buy.

ironcreed

Banned
Pre-ordered it on PSN this morning, so I am locked in for this baby. Was hoping the free theme would be the cover art, but it is instead a city canal setting from the environment. Still pretty neat.

ironcreed

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dta5Ge-11_8&feature=youtu.be

Saw this posted on twitter but didn't see it in the thread.

Edit: It's basically a level walkthrough that lets you choose branching paths at certain points.

This 'choose your path' trailer is exactly what they needed to release. Gives a rather nice sampling of how open the choices are, as well as the consequences involved. I made the mistake of entering through the window after blinking to the ledge and it showed that you can indeed be killed rather easily, which was nice to see.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Great vids but annoyingly setup, just show me three or so possibilities in order (maybe highlighting other possible paths they can't show in that format), don't interrupt with click here shit. Anyway, very Thiefy if you choose the sneaky choices, but it does seem like you have too many tools and abilities that make it easy in comparison. I hope there are options that limit your super hero abilities without making things impossible rather than have the developers rely on you forcing yourself to avoid them for challenge.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RDAF-2CNK-PT4M

That pops up in one of the videos. Doesn't work on Steam, so *shrug*.

7mDyN.jpg

BOOM! Preordered! \o/

now I wait for Oct 12th (EU GAF).

86e1c23f_meme-guy-staring-at-computer-screen-thinking.jpeg

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm very excited about this game and I've barely watched any footage. Just watching the artwork I knew this is something special in the making.

So, am I right in assuming that this game will be kinda like Bioshock, which is one of my favorite games of all time?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I like the Giant Bomb guys, but I don't trust their opinion on hardcore games one bit (except maybe Patrick's). I mean, Brad didn't even try Dark Souls.

Oh, I completely agree. Ryan Davis' taste in games almost never aligns with my own.

SparkTR

I really liked that trailer, fighting my urge to pre-order and wait for reviews. Q4 is getting extremely jammed up with new releases.

Top Bottom