• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Im not playing it until they fix the glitch with me not being able to leave the art dealers apartment. Im thinking of just selling it now. Im sick of all this buggy shit ruining what little time I have with games.

Im not playing it until they fix the glitch with me not being able to leave the art dealers apartment. Im thinking of just selling it now. Im sick of all this buggy shit ruining what little time I have with games.

I'm wondering if all Bethesda published games share like the same Q&A/testing department or something. Why is there always so many bugs.

Dishonored in Stereo 3D is the most immersive gaming experience i have ever had. I actually feel like an assassin. I really pity the people who still don't get 3D or refuse to acknowledge it without even trying it. To me, 3D gaming on a mid to high-end PC is Next Next-Gen. And the atmosphere of this game. WOW. Anyone else try it out?

Not sure if this was posted already, but here's the link to the Helix Mod 3Dvision FIX, works excellent:

http://helixmod.blogspot.ca/2012/10/dishonored.html

Eusis

This is why you never buy into the hype.
If you keep expectations in check (and try to go for a decent deal too) you should still be able to really enjoy the game. I was disappointed at how slim powers were and how little the chaos thing actually mattered outside of the final mission, but it's still one of my most enjoyable games this year.

But then we very rarely HAVE those kinds of Deus Ex/System Shock/Thief games these days, most publishers(/developers?) are more than eager to just throw out a very streamlined shooter/action game, or the things that do break out of that mold (Mark of the Ninja) are smaller indie games. I imagine if we were in some bizarro reality where Bioshock was that stupefyingly successful 2007 shooter this would be memorable more for the setting and stronger stealth focus.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yep, people expecting this game to be some kind of game changer went into it with the wrong mindset. It's a more well define version of older pc titles of this nature like System Shock 2 or Deus Ex I guess.

I still think it's amazing, but people were setting some crazy high bars for this title.

yep, Dishonored feels like it's following the formula with some enhancements. It also shows that immersive sim genre gets stale. I guess Arkane was fed up with innovation after Crossing and Spielberg's project and just wanted to make a good game. They made it.

But the genre needs to move forward. I guess they need to make it a)more interactive - more destructability, i.e. the whole buildings could be destroyed, more reactive environments, i.e. more simulation systems going b)add non-combat mechanics i.e. interactions with non lethal goals.

For now all immersive sims are basically murder simulators in the end. It's a major block in the genre.

Maaseru

Banned
I wasn't even hyped that much, I stood away from the game until the last weeks. Its just like when you see a movie trailer for a good movie, but then the trailer revealed all there is too it and you never knew before. Yeah that's the feeling I got from the game. It was still fun, the alternate paths delivered.

yep, Dishonored feels like it's following the formula with some enhancements. It also shows that immersive sim genre gets stale. I guess Arkane was fed up with innovation after Crossing and Spielberg's project and just wanted to make a good game. They made it.

But the genre needs to move forward. I guess they need to make it a)more interactive - more destructability, i.e. the whole buildings could be destroyed, more reactive environments, i.e. more simulation systems going b)add non-combat mechanics i.e. interactions with non lethal goals.

For now all immersive sims are basically murder simulators in the end. It's a major block on the genre.

None of those Arkane games you listed even came out right?

Why the hell..

subversus

None of those Arkane games you listed even came out right?

Why the hell..

yes, The Crossing was supposed to be the first title where SP was mixed with MP - players could take a role of AI grunt soldiers and they still have a working prototype at the office.

Spielberg's project was focused on non-combat interaction with AI. Doug Church was on it. It got cancelled after the world crisis ate into EA's finances.

Bioshock 2 (Arkane worked on this one too) came out though...

DocSeuss

I'm saying powers are not balanced not that they should be required or not. You'll end up using certain things and not other things because there is no advantage in having those, it's not about playing the way you want. I have an easy time to choose what I want over the others here. wind blast? what's point? for example. it's true pretty much for all the power in the lower part.

It's really much of a min-maxing mindset you have here. Once you start using Windblast, it becomes a pretty awesome tool.

They're not balanced, nor do they need to be. They have interesting, varied uses. Give 'em a go.

yes, The Crossing was supposed to be the first title where SP was mixed with MP - players could take a role of AI grunt soldiers and they still have a working prototype at the office.

Spielberg's project was focused on non-combat interaction with AI. Doug Church was on it. It got cancelled after the world crisis ate into EA's finances.

Bioshock 2 (Arkane worked on this one too) came out though...

DICE sucks because of LMNO.

Didn't know Arkane worked on Bioshock 2. Explains why it was greatly improved from its predecessor.

subversus

DICE sucks because of LMNO.

Those who want to weep can read a big story about the game here. It was basically Mirror's Edge + Bioshock Infinite + Journey. Funny thing is that Ken and his team seem to fall down in the same rabbit hole with Infinite. AI is a bitch to solve.

The player controlled Lincoln in first-person, and he didn't speak much along the lines of Gordon Freeman in Half-Life. As the game began, he found himself drawn to an Area 51-styled military base to break Eve out without really knowing why. From then on, the two would be on the run, "escaping the government, discovering what's going on," according to one team member, with the idea being they would end up in San Francisco.

It's easy to look at what games like Prince of Persia and Enslaved have done with their partner characters -- it's become something of a trend these days -- and make comparisons to what LMNO was trying to do, but the plan for Eve was to make her more of a living character who would react and evolve depending how the player treated her.

She would fight alongside you in combat, use special "psionic energy powers" to do things you couldn't, and make sounds to give you cues about what's going around in the environment to take the place of the HUD. She couldn't speak, making for non-verbal communication that the player could participate in by moving around, offering her items, and reinforcing her behavior.

"It was really about like, 'Oh man, they're coming up the stairs. Eve, go block the door with that thing that's too heavy for me to lift, and I'm going to go and pry off this grate,'" says a former team member. "'And while they're trying to get through the door, we're going to be able to escape to the next area, and then we've got to be quiet to get to [the next one]."

"The point of LMNO was to basically take all the AI that would go into a normal Sims title, and compress that down into one character that could learn and remember and change the way you play the game on the fly, and not be totally scripted," says another former team member.

Since communication was non-verbal, Lincoln would be able to hand Eve items to heal her, give her additional abilities, etc., or gesture to her to show how he felt -- to reward or discourage her. And if he treated her well and protected her from enemies, she would like Lincoln better and help out frequently, but if he left her to fend for herself, she would learn to fight for herself and not offer help as often. All of this would play into a tech tree that unlocked different powers and combat moves.

"One of the dynamics was kind of 'Who's in charge?,'" says someone close to the game. "It was like the domination dynamic, so if the player was kind of like, 'I rush ahead, I open the doors, I choose what to do, when to go,' then maybe she would shy back and act less on her own. Or if the player was hesitant, or if the player failed a bunch, she might be like, 'Screw you, I'm gonna be in charge here. I'm going to take charge and run over and beat up these guys. And then I'm gonna be pissed at you for not being much help.'"

Sanctuary

Yep, people expecting this game to be some kind of game changer went into it with the wrong mindset. It's a more well define version of older pc titles of this nature like System Shock 2 or Deus Ex I guess.

I still think it's amazing, but people were setting some crazy high bars for this title.

It plays as a "tribute" to Thief more than System Shock 2 or Deus Ex with a tiny bit of Bioshock. The only thing it has that is somewhat similar to Deus Ex is the level designs, and that's about it. Too bad it didn't actually try to add anything new into the mix though. After about nine hours of playing, I'm almost entirely burnt out because it doesn't offer anything new at all, and I just played a bunch of Human Revolution last year. So tired of first person everything. I played through Borderlands 2, but at least it had some awesome dialogue going for it.

The skills in Dishonored are boring, boring, boring and the only truly useful ones are Dark Vision, Blink and Agility. None of which are actually "fun".

This.

If you up the difficulty and go for Ghost, the game gets alot more difficult.

No it doesn't. You just sit more. It's not more difficult at all, it just becomes more tedious.

subversus

The skills in Dishonored are boring, boring, boring and the only truly useful ones are Dark Vision, Blink and Agility. None of which are actually "fun".

there are a lot of videos which show how people can use skills. It seems that you just lack imagination. Dark Vision and Blink are the most boring skills in the whole set in my opinion. They can be used in conjecture with other skills if you want real fun. You must combine them, not spam one fucking power.

Sanctuary

there are a lot of videos which show how people can use skills. It seems that you just lack imagination. Dark Vision and Blink are the most boring skills in the whole set in my opinion. They can be used in conjecture with other skills if you want real fun. You must combine them, not spam one fucking power.

It has nothing to do with imagination at all. Unless of course you're implying that you have to use your imagination to imagine that the skills are actually any good. I know how to combine the skills, but who cares when it's much more efficient or practical to do the most basic things instead? Most of the skills just seem like they are there for you to try out something random just to see what happens, but they are almost never going to be your "go to" skills.

StuBurns

Banned
It has nothing to do with imagination at all. Unless of course you're implying that you have to use your imagination to imagine that the skills are actually any good. I know how to combine the skills, but who cares when it's much more efficient or practical to do the most basic things instead? Most of the skills just seem like they are there for you to try out something random just to see what happens, but they are almost never going to be your "go to" skills.
I felt that way about BioShock, people talk about how you can do all this convoluted stuff to down a Big Daddy, but when you can do it five seconds with the proximity mines, nothing else is really worth bothering with.

subversus

these games are as good as effort you put into them.

I downed Sander Cohen by bringing Big Daddy with me - I used one plasmed to make Big Daddy follow me and another one to pit him against Sander. Then I watched them battle to death. Of course I could do nothing and end the level in the most boring way. But I had great tools at my disposal and loved experimenting.

You can find easy ways to explot mechanics in every game and break it. And if you still want to use it and have it easy it's your problem.

edit: also "go to" skills mean that you still use one skill over and over again. If it's not boring I don't know what is.

Durante

I very strongly disagree with everything you say here. I think that all the skills are useful, and the ones you mentioned are exceedingly "fun" to use.

Basically, to me, Dishonored is the perfect modern-day Thief (with a small slice of Deus Ex).

EGM1966

For now all immersive sims are basically murder simulators in the end. It's a major block in the genre.

Pretty much agree with all of that. Although it's somewhat ironic you can play through the while game without killing someone if you want. But it's clear that the mechanics for doing that are fairly simple vs the far more elaborate mechanics for causing either direct or indirect mayhem.

I think part of the issue is the challenge of making actual game-play that is fun and involving around stealth, non-combat and other interactions : this is clearly a lot more challenging.

Dresden

Finished just now--damn good game! I have my complaints but how it wrapped up, and the overall product, was good enough to put a smile on my face when I finished it. I think I got the 'best' ending, with no kills throughout the game.

Tempted to go on a murderous rampage for my second run if I were ever to do so. All those gadgets and powers I never got to use.

Sanic

How long is this? I have a free day and a half-ish, and was wondering if I could get some enjoyment out of it in that time with a rental, or I should just wait for a steam sale down the road.

How long is this? I have a free day and a half-ish, and was wondering if I could get some enjoyment out of it in that time with a rental, or I should just wait for a steam sale down the road.

I'm at 22 hours and have about 4-5 hours left to go. Its not the kind of game that is enjoyable just trying to blitz through. I would wait for a Steam sale.

I felt that way about BioShock, people talk about how you can do all this convoluted stuff to down a Big Daddy, but when you can do it five seconds with the proximity mines, nothing else is really worth bothering with.

Same for me. I never got bored by the skills in Dishonored. Just when the normal guards get too easy they introduce some new enemys that let you spice things up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It has nothing to do with imagination at all. Unless of course you're implying that you have to use your imagination to imagine that the skills are actually any good. I know how to combine the skills, but who cares when it's much more efficient or practical to do the most basic things instead?
The casual observer would conclude that you are dramatically misinterpreting what is fun about this game.

I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it!!!

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Wow, what a game, really enjoyed it, playing high chaos first was definitely the right way to go
Because then you get to have a really warm ending :p

I´m on my second run and i just realized that you can kill almost everyone but when you choose the non lethal solution for the main targets you still get low chaos. Interesting.

Moonkeis

I'm still on my first play through right now, more with stealth and avoiding any unnecessary killing. There will be no mercy the second time around, muhaha.

ced

Finished it last night, really enjoyed the first 5 missions, kind of got boring after that. I did enjoy the flooded district but would have liked to see a bit more underwater exploration.

RedSwirl

Maybe this has been mentioned by now, but I can conform that people killed by other NPCs don't go onto your killcount. In the second mission for me
the other supernatural dudes killed three thugs and I left their bodies in the street. Still ended up with 0 dead at the end.

Hindle

Banned
We are lucky we are even getting a game like this. I expect Arkane will innovate this kind of genre in the future, they most likely wanted to establish what they are all about with Dishinored.

Just got to | Light at the end |
Samuel just alerted everyone to my presence because I have become such a bastard.
Man I love this game.

We are lucky we are even getting a game like this. I expect Arkane will innovate this kind of genre in the future, they most likely wanted to establish what they are all about with Dishinored.

I agree. Hopefully the game does well enough to warrant a sequel.

Basch

Which version should I get: PS3 or 360? Minor graphical dips don't bother me, but glitches and performance (frame rate, screen tear/clipping, etc) does. With that in mind, which should I get?

Dishonored was extremely forgettable, overhyped, dull and lacking ambition. Even the reviewers I had most respect for were guilty of overanticipating and overrating the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Which version should I get: PS3 or 360? Minor graphical dips don't bother me, but glitches and performance (frame rate, screen tear/clipping, etc) does. With that in mind, which should I get?
PS3 version has been pretty great for me. Framerate is pretty smooth and I've had no issue with tearing, even though DF says it tears morr than the 360 version. I've heard a lot of 360 players complaining about the extra blurry FXAA in that version but I can't vouch for that myself.

The Chef

Doing a Ghost run after my first playthrough sounds like but but honestly the thing I am really excited to try is to use any powers you want, be completely lethal if you'd like but just do it as insanely fast and efficiently as possible. Cant wait to try that.

Dishonored was extremely forgettable, overhyped, dull and lacking ambition. Even the reviewers I had most respect for were guilty of overanticipating and overrating the game.

tumblr_ma7l7qsgZ41rrhz69.gif

bitoriginal

Interesting how differently people feel towards this game, and especially when taking into account completion times. Personally I've played it for well over 25 hours and I'm currently at the flooded district. I've reloaded many, many times working out which routes to take and what powers to use.

I've thorough enjoyed it, but I've played it a specific way. Decided to go for a Clean Hands and Ghost run on hard, and make sure that I get every rune, bonecharm and painting on each mission. It's kinda played like a puzzle game in some ways, trying to get to certain places in certain ways without getting noticed.

Everytime I start a new mission, I save, then go on a rampage and explore the level and the various routes I can take, figuring out where patrols are, how I can move from each rune to the next, etc. Essentially I play every area twice, one time messing around with my powers, and the next taking the stealth route.

I barely ever choke an enemy out unless it's necessary and overall I've quite enjoyed the story too. Really dig the little things that occur on the streets when you're just prowling the roof tops. Even saw some guys trying to break into an area, get spotted by the guards, running in for a fight and then get arc pylon'ed to death.

Overall I've had a great time with the game, and would reccomend going for the stealth achievements.

Basch

PS3 version has been pretty great for me. Framerate is pretty smooth and I've had no issue with tearing, even though DF says it tears morr than the 360 version. I've heard a lot of 360 players complaining about the extra blurry FXAA in that version but I can't vouch for that myself.

Thanks. I'll probably get it for the PS3 then.

I actually didn't pay any attention to it and picked it up on a whim, and I was pleasantly surprised at the results. It all comes down to your expectations going in.

Top Bottom