• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

For me, I have no interest in using any of the powers except blinking around and stabbing people. I just don't want to, like to, or need to use them. I like the feeling of warping around the battlefield stabbing people left and right. I even do it to enemies that I don't have to fight at all.

Me too, especially if the Heart tells me they have it coming. I'll go out of my way to either spare a relatively innocent guard and kill a nasty one.

Fez and Mark of the ninja as well, great year for smaller indie games I thought. Some great bigger games too I guess, though most of their releases were poorly timed. Months of nothing, and then 2 huge games releasing at once happened multiple times this year.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
FTL is a "snatch up as soon as I hear the call of a steam sale" for me.

edit: Hadn't heard of Mark of the Nina, shit looks great. I'll have to get that as a reward for finally beating Shank. (When I do.)

Have you played Mark of the Ninja? Best stealth game this year by far, ghosting (not even touching enemies) is even more fun in that with the different costumes.

I could not for the life of me get into that game. I hated having to do the qte sequence before pulling off a kill. Started to get so tedious to me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This year wasn't too bad, it is just that last year was insane. XCOM is a lot better than anything to come out this year.

I would also like to point out how Derrick isn't a hype machine anymore. I remember getting into an argument with him last year. He was trying to to explain to me why Skyrim was a great game and it hadn't even come out yet lol

Sanctuary

Lacking ambition?

Name me a game that's as different and unique as Dishonored. You're lucky it wasn't another COD: Dishonored Edition.

Thief, Deus Ex, Deus Ex:HR (which just came out last year). The main difference between Dishonored and HR is that the level design is a bit more open and you don't have to kill the main targets if you don't want to. Well, that and HR actually had pretty good writing.

Thief, Deus Ex, Deus Ex:HR (which just came out last year). The main difference between Dishonored and HR is that the level design is a bit more open and you don't have to kill the main targets if you don't want to.

The last Thief game came out almost 8 years ago and Deus Ex almost 12. That makes DX:HR the only one remotely close and even then they are very different games.

Sanctuary

The last Thief game came out almost 8 years ago and Deus Ex almost 12. That makes DX:HR the only one remotely close and even then they are very different games.

He asked a question and received an answer. He never said "this year". HR and Dishonored aren't polar opposites or anything either, and they share more similarities than they don't.

More than anything else, it just shows people on GAF don't play fighting games.

Or maybe not everyone gushes over Persona Arena or KoF 13?

Zeliard

2013 and 2014 should be fun as the big Kickstarter titles start to roll in. Multiplats may potentially see a boost as well as devs prime for next gen, but who knows. Could be we just get nicer visuals and still the same generally dumb gameplay and nickel-and-diming. :p The latter is a certainty, sadly.

I put Dishonored above HR, personally. It feels more free-form both with combat and in completing objectives. HR was a solid experience but it felt somewhat confining to me; Dishonored feels more like a sandbox reminiscent of the first Deus Ex. And while I have a fondness for cyberpunk, I found Dishonored's setting to be more fresh and interesting.

I feel like, in many ways, this is the game Bioshock should have been. For example:

More open levels and NPCs help the city feel like a lived-in place than Rapture's simplistic collection of corridors with pretty backdrops.

Levels feel more intelligently designed to take advantage of your powers, instead of just "here's a big weirdly placed oil slick, flame that shit yo".

Emphasis on stealth and melee is more suitable for this type of game compared to a balls out FPS like Bioshock.

The moral choices aren't as in-your-face in Dishonored. They are subtle and the game does a good job of making you feel bad if you do bad things. There are often grey areas too, choices with good and bad qualities.

The twist in Dishonored isn't as strong as Bioshock's (it's more of a 'turn' than a twist really), but it has the upper hand of the rest of the game after it not being utter shit.

Much better conclusion. Just succinct enough yet doesn't leave you thinking "that's it?"

Derrick01

Banned
This year wasn't too bad, it is just that last year was insane. XCOM is a lot better than anything to come out this year.

I would also like to point out how Derrick isn't a hype machine anymore. I remember getting into an argument with him last year. He was trying to to explain to me why Skyrim was a great game and it hadn't even come out yet lol

I don't recall this. I do recall being excited for Skyrim before the rug was pulled out from under me. I tried to learn my lesson that day.

Zeliard

Bioshock 1 was disappointing in many ways, but Bioshock 2 is actually quite good (Arkane helped in its development as well). Less linearity in the levels, and the combat is much more interesting than in Bioshock 1 since you have more stuff at your disposal, especially through the various dual-wielding options. More diversity in enemy types as well. Plus there's Minerva's Den.

I kinda feel like going through it again, actually.

during the ending of the game was anyone else struck by how
awesome the composition was of that shot of Samuel bringing his boat up against that huge wave.

Bioshock 1 was disappointing in many ways, but Bioshock 2 is actually quite good (Arkane helped in its development as well). Less linearity in the levels, and the combat is much more interesting than in Bioshock 1 since you have more stuff at your disposal, especially through the various dual-wielding options. More diversity in enemy types as well.

I kinda feel like going through it again, actually.

I tend to think Bioshock had the more polished storyline, art and world, while Bioshock 2 had better gameplay. If we could combine the two and make them have a baby, it could be an absolute classic. There's Bioshock Infinite, which looks awesome in its own right, but it's an even further departure from what we really want, and personally I believe we still haven't fully tapped the potential of Rapture. That setting is so fucking good that it's a shame the games don't quite live up to it.

Zeliard

It'll be interesting to see what Bioshock Infinite ends up like. Levine himself has admitted that Bioshock 2 had much better combat than their game, so hopefully he's taken influence from it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'd like to just pop in and back the Mark of the Ninja being awesome posts. Came out of nowhere to me and is the best stealth game I've played this year.

Eusis

I think Rapture might actually be more interesting if it was handled a bit more Deus Ex style rather than System Shock style. Rather, make it an RPG with lots of NPCs and a mix of hostile zones and safe zones for exploration, rather than just you against the world with only a few people helping over radio.

Okay so just doing my ghost playthrough right now which is so enjoyable.
Quick question:

- If rats attack me that doesn't count as being "seen" right?
- At the end of the first level when you
blow up the door to escape from prison
that alert doesn't count against you does it?

Also someone was saying they got a bone charm that made choking people out faster. I got every charm in the game and never saw that one. Any of you guys get it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn, just finished. The last mission was awesome. Made up for the
Dunwall Tower and Sewer sections
. For some reason I got the high chaos ending just because of one thing but oh well, that ending was fine. I just embraced it during the last mission and it breathed new life into the game for me. As a pute stealth game this kind of gets a bit shallow and easy but the combat was fantastic when you really get into it.

Also, really cool that Quantic Dream helped out with the mocap.

Papercuts

I think Rapture might actually be more interesting if it was handled a bit more Deus Ex style rather than System Shock style. Rather, make it an RPG with lots of NPCs and a mix of hostile zones and safe zones for exploration, rather than just you against the world with only a few people helping over radio.

Yeah, I still wish Bioshock 2 happened during the actual downfall of Rapture. Would have been much more interesting to me.

As is I thought 2 was better but very forgettable, and beyond the atmosphere I don't like 1 at all.

Quick question:

Also someone was saying they got a bone charm that made choking people out faster. I got every charm in the game and never saw that one. Any of you guys get it?

Not sure on the prison but the achivement says after the tutorial so there may be something there that can't be avoided.

I never got that charm but my friend did pretty much immediately. Would've helped me a lot.

Duffyside

Banned
So, the only mission I completed using lethal means was the first. To get the trophy for using all nonlethal means, do I have to replay the whole game, or is Arkane smart enough to let me now go to Mission Select, do that one mission again, and get the trophy?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick question:

You get that charm from pickpocketing
Daud

Zeliard

Yeah, I still wish Bioshock 2 happened during the actual downfall of Rapture. Would have been much more interesting to me.

As is I thought 2 was better but very forgettable, and beyond the atmosphere I don't like 1 at all.

You guys should check out Minerva's Den if you haven't. DLC done right.

Papercuts

Daud

The charms are all randomized.

So, the only mission I completed using lethal means was the first. To get the trophy for using all nonlethal means, do I have to replay the whole game, or is Arkane smart enough to let me now go to Mission Select, do that one mission again, and get the trophy?

It sounds like you have to replay it all.

You guys should check out Minerva's Den if you haven't. DLC done right.

I've heard a ton of good stuff about it but I don't have the base game anymore. I really wished they made it a standalone download.

GorillaJu

Listening to the guards' conversations is so great. My favorite is probably the (early game spoilers):
married couple of guard and maid
in the first mission. I knocked them out, put them on a bed together and closed the door. When they wake up and realize that they fell asleep while the mansion was ransacked and the masked villain got away with everything, at least they'll each know it wasn't the other one's fault since they both blacked out.

For those who are saying that ghosting through on hard mode is easy and especially those who don't need dark vision to do this, are you saving/reloading?

Daud

Ahh man seriously!? Son of a

Listening to the guards' conversations is so great. My favorite is probably the (early game spoilers):
in the first mission. I knocked them out, put them on a bed together and closed the door. When they wake up and realize that they fell asleep while the mansion was ransacked and the masked villain got away with everything, at least they'll each know it wasn't the other one's fault since they both blacked out.

For those who are saying that ghosting through on hard mode is easy and especially those who don't need dark vision to do this, are you saving/reloading?

I love that one. I also really like the stuff the guards saying in the sewers
Guard1: Anyway he's dangerous don't try and take him on by yourself. Guard2: But I am by myself! Guard1: Uh well if you see him try to make a lot of noise when you die

Papercuts

I cut off her head and threw it at the husband.

GorillaJu

Ahh man seriously!? Son of a

I love that one. I also really like the stuff the guards saying in the sewers
Guard1: Anyway he's dangerous don't try and take him on by yourself. Guard2: But I am by myself! Guard1: Uh well if you see him try to make a lot of noise when you die

Hahaha I must have missed that one on my first (and only so far) playthrough.

I cut off her head and threw it at the husband.

You're a horrible person :lol

Fusebox

Banned
Started this game yesterday morning, late last night I assassinated the Regent and I was like, "Yay I finished a game in a day"
but it turns out I wasn't finished at all lol...

I really rushed the Regent part though,
I got into the room next to his bedroom, froze time, sprinted at the fireplace, slid under it, came up next to him and stabbed him straight in the neck.

I bet he had something interesting to say too... Oh well.

branny

I just finished my second playthrough, this time on high chaos and without upgrading (or buying or equipping) anything.

Three things:

1. It was boring to play without powers, enhancements, upgrades, or bone charms this time around.

2. It's neat what changes with chaos. I've also seen three totally different endings so far and think they each are pretty fitting. Ending spoilers:
So, the high chaos and Emily dead ending actually has Corvo leaving on a boat somewhere... It'd be interesting if this were the canon path for a sequel if we got one. I also love how crazy Emily is when you save her on high chaos. Way to set an example, Corvo! *applause*

3. Low chaos >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> high chaos.

I just finished my second playthrough, this time on high chaos and without upgrading (or buying or equipping) anything.

Three things:

1. It was boring to play without powers, enhancements, upgrades, or bone charms this time around.

2. It's neat what changes with chaos. I've also seen three totally different endings so far and think they each are pretty fitting. Ending spoilers:
So, the high chaos and Emily dead ending actually has Corvo leaving on a boat somewhere... It'd be interesting if this were the canon path for a sequel if we got one. I also love how crazy Emily is when you save her on high chaos. Way to set an example, Corvo! *applause*

3. Low chaos >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> high chaos.

That is fantastic stuff. Ghosting it now. The first level is proving to be a pain in the ass I can't figure out why I am not getting credit for now alerts.

nOoblet16

So I finished the game just now and all I'd say is that it was overall quite disappointing, nowhere near the "masterpiece" that the media has made it out to be. Infact I actually had MUCH more fun and was immersed a LOT more with "terrible" RE6.

So I finished the game just now and all I'd say is that it was overall quite disappointing, nowhere near the "masterpiece" that the media has made it out to be. Infact I actually had MUCH more fun and was immersed a LOT more with "terrible" RE6.

Ehh...I uhh...ummmm. Yeah

On a more sane note. I have done the first level
prison
about 4 times now and can't get GHOST. What in the world am I doing wrong I am physically watching each guy as I go passed them to see if a little alert comes up and nothing. What did you guys do?

I'm having a hard time deciding whether to kill
Daud
or not. Decisions, decisions.

What should I do?

The Heart's giving me nothing. No new information which is weird.

Edit: oh never mind! Heart's got plenty to say.

Hey guys I need help with the Sokolov mission. I keep getting game over
after the kidnapping back in the hideout when I jump into the maid's bathtub.....

haha this game is awesome

taoofjord

People talking about best games of the year and nobody is mentioning XCOM, FTL, or Legend of Grimrock.

Tsk tsk.

Those are three fantastic games but I enjoyed Dishonored more. That said, Thief and System Shock are my favorite games. I feel like Dishonored was made for me.

In all honesty there was only one thing I didn't like about Dishonored... the song that's played during the credits. Pretty bad way to end a masterpiece.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, people are really missing out by playing this with the UI elements on. I turned off almost everything (including crosshairs) and the game was that much better for it.

DukeBobby

Those are three fantastic games but I enjoyed Dishonored more. That said, Thief and System Shock are my favorite games. I feel like Dishonored was made for me.

In all honesty there was only one thing I didn't like about Dishonored... the song that's played during the credits. Pretty bad way to end a masterpiece.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, people are really missing out by playing this with the UI elements on. I turned off almost everything (including crosshairs) and the game was that much better for it.

The song wasn't bad, but it didn't fit at all.

Top Bottom