• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

branny

I think playing through twice is a must for people who may be feeling underwhelmed with Dishonored. I actually am not the biggest fan of the game (would've liked more powers, stealth/interactivity mechanics beyond blowing out candles, better AI, more missions like the game's best missions, more missions in general, etc.), but I do appreciate everything a bit more after my second, more restrained playthrough.

I skipped so much with Bend Time 2 during the last few missions in my first run, so retrying those areas without that ability showed me that they aren't as small or linear as they initially appeared. They still aren't the biggest or the best the game has to offer, but they definitely aren't that much worse.

I also agree with Riposte about Blink being a mixed blessing. On one hand, it totally makes Dishonored, but it also allows you to bypass some pretty significant content and can trivialize a lot of the challenge and level design. I don't think the game is completely ruined by it, though. It's not even as bad as abusable stuff in other games. (Demon's Souls immediately comes to mind. There are so many opportunities to break things with the tools at your disposal. Taking advantage of DS's openness and free-form mechanics usually also simultaneously robs you of interesting stuff (like the cheapening the fight with King Allant) and whatnot.) In Dishonored, it seems like there's usually an appropriate time and place to abuse things, with Bend Time 2 being the most useful (and costly) of the bunch, imo.

I'm not the biggest stealth game fanatic, so I don't feel particularly qualified to gauge Dishonored's success compared to genre staples. I do know that I don't care for the Batman games at all, and I enjoyed myself with DX:HR last year, even if it had its own share of problems, too. It's honestly really hard to compare all of these to one another. My biggest beef with Dishonored is that I love what it does, but I don't think it did enough of what it does, if that makes sense. I want to jump up and down on it to squeeze more whale juice out. More powers, enhancements, weapons, upgrades, missions, stealth mechanics, boss fights, story beats, heart secrets...

It's one concept I really wouldn't mind being aped by lots of future games.

Imagine the same sort of "dialogue-tree boss fights" as in DX: HR, except you have a certain item on you that lets you
read your target's mind
beforehand.

Bonus points if it could give you different, more secretive/buried info if you used it from a hidden position before they notice you.
The max personality pheromone or whatever augment was basically that. :lol

I know it's completely unrelated, but this sort of reminded me of what I really liked about Galerians. I get so lost in survival horror games, so it was nice to be able to touch objects and psychically retrieve relevant information from them.

Tex117

Banned
I'm not the biggest stealth game fanatic, so I don't feel particularly qualified to gauge Dishonored's success compared to genre staples. I do know that I don't care for the Batman games at all, and I enjoyed myself with DX:HR last year, even it had its own share of problems, too. It's honestly really hard to compare all of these to one another. My biggest beef with Dishonored is that I love what it does, but I don't think it did enough of what it does, if that makes sense. I want to jump up and down on it to squeeze more whale juice out. More powers, enhancements, weapons, upgrades, missions, stealth mechanics, boss fights, story beats, heart secrets...

I thought the exact same thing. I think if they make a sequal it will be excellent.

Further, they need to have the game world ALL interconnected. I want to be able to walk from the Hound Pits to wherever. Maybe a bit more movement through the world where you don't have to sneak all the time, but can take in the ambiance of the city. Then, when you get close to your objective, start the stealth stuff.

Bioshock 1 was disappointing in many ways, but Bioshock 2 is actually quite good (Arkane helped in its development as well). Less linearity in the levels, and the combat is much more interesting than in Bioshock 1 since you have more stuff at your disposal, especially through the various dual-wielding options. More diversity in enemy types as well. Plus there's Minerva's Den.

I kinda feel like going through it again, actually.

That´s all right, but Bioshock 1 is so much better in what matters most: atmosphere.

That´s all right, but Bioshock 1 is so much better in what matters most: atmosphere.

Yeah I already played this harp on the previous pages but Bioshock's greatest feat is its atmosphere. I never played 2 but even thinking of the 1st game I can't really remember what the gameplay constituted of which is a bad sign.

Oh man you guys I assumed that to do a Ghost play through meant you couldn't interact with guards in any way be it sleep darts or choking them out. No wonder the first level has been so hard. It's actually extremely satisfying going through whole areas just creeping past everyone.

Pooya

Killing targets and guards is far more satisfying here for some reason, maybe because of all the creative ways you can make that happen. Unlike non lethal methods which are pretty boring, some of the non lethal options for targets are pretty cool though story wise.

hacking a tower and watch it and a tall boy walker shoot each other is pretty cool, it was almost like Half Life 2 with all the fireworks :p

Killing targets and guards is far more satisfying here for some reason, maybe because of all the creative ways you can make that happen. Unlike non lethal methods which are pretty boring, some of the non lethal options for targets are pretty cool though story wise.

hacking a tower and watch it and a tall boy walker shoot each other is pretty cool, it was almost like Half Life 2 with all the fireworks :p

Yeah. My first run I went full lethal on the targets because it was way more satysfing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah...I beat it last night and am replaying it just running through brutally murdering everyone and having a lot more fun. I think the game is much better when you fully embrace the power fantasy.

Is it weird to say that I like the fact that the end of this game is utter crap.

Now I don't feel the need to play a specific way for a "correct" ending.

branny

I like how being murderous in this game is more accessible than in something like DX:HR where I remember feeling rather vulnerable with a similar approach. I think a lot of it has to do with powers and the emphasis on hand-to-hand combat instead of gunplay.

Really, the more I think about this game, the more I like it. Pretty cool.

Computron

No big spoilers please, I just got past the prison level where you start, but I got a question:

Do I go for full/partial non-lethal or will I have more fun just murdering everyone?

I went fully non-lethal in DX:HR, and that was fun except dealing with inventory; having to carry around expensive super lethal stuff that I didn't want to just drop because it could be useful on the forced lethal bosses or could be sold/bartered. I replayed it later in lethal mode and the game just flew by and was also pretty fun. DX:HR had a lot of options and off-beaten paths for non lethal players. It seems like dishonored might be more fun to play lethaly because of the melee focus, it also seems kind of linear, but It way too early to judge. Also, I looked in the tutorial menu and I see that there is a lot of lethal focus in your characters abilities later in the game, and seemingly very few mechanics outside the sleep dart and the tedious choke hold for non lethal play.

So, people who beat the game, what should I do?
Does the game strongly reward non-lethal play, especially in terms of story as well as opening up cool mechanics and missions that would otherwise be missed? Or will I have more fun going lethal?

EDIT: Also, does being completely undetected lead to some substantial reward? I played DX:HR that way and I don't recall anything special.

Now that I beat the game I read through the RPS review. Man I love that site such a great way to do a review too.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/09/the-rps-verdict-dishonored/

Ending spoilers:
Killed everyone and didn't save Emily, fuck Dunwall.

Freaking awesome I didn't even know I could do this. Such a awesome game.

I put a spring razor on a severed head and threw it at some guys. I love spring razors.

Man bro and here I thought I was creative. Nicely done

Guys I can't stealth in this game, I am so terrible at it... help.

What aspect of stealth? Going through silent, going for lethal or non-lethal. Are you getting spotted a lot?

I am really starting to love this game more and more. Going through completely non-lethal which includes not even knocking guys out and the levels are completely different. Whole events are switching up completely organically. I can't believe how much stuff there is to still see and experience differently.

Derrick01

Banned
:p I just can't predict when I would be seen and when not.

In all seriousness it does show you where they are and their line of vision as well. You can seemingly leave it on forever too it doesn't constantly use mana. It all comes down to whether you're ok with using it or not.

SJRB

Gold Member
The part in the Flooded District where I have to
retrieve my gear
is the hardest part yet.

At leat, I could just drop a grenade down there but I'm trying to keep it non-lethal. Even though I already know certain people will definately feel the cold of my steel blade piercing their throats while they gaze into my horroresque mask as if I was Death himself.

Zeliard

I did not know you could do that in System Shock 2, and I have been better off for it. So much of the game's appeal comes from the moments of manic tension where you're scrambling for ammo while listening to enemies hunt you down.

I can't imagine playing in a min-max way that rigidly adheres to some method of ideal game completion. The very concept is repulsive to me.

I also hate the min/max style of play. I much prefer a more natural, experimental progression in games.

There's nothing wrong with wrench-only runs in SS2 and blink-only runs in Dishonored, but to act like that's all these games are about in both cases is, of course, wrong. They're one way to go through the game, and probably the most effective, but it's hardly the only thing you can do. It's particularly baffling to me when people use those strict styles of play when it bores them or cheapens the game for them.

I love the setting in both games. I think the writing in Bioshock 1 is generally better, for the most part, and it gets its thematic ideas through a bit more clearly.

I don't hate Bioshock 1, but it is sort of a hallmark of the dumbed-down game and also one of those early-gen titles along with Mass Effect 1 that made me realize that paying attention to dev hype is probably going to be a terrible idea (for the record, I do however think Bioshock 1 is roughly 1,000x better than ME1).

bitoriginal

I am really starting to love this game more and more. Going through completely non-lethal which includes not even knocking guys out and the levels are completely different. Whole events are switching up completely organically. I can't believe how much stuff there is to still see and experience differently.

It definitely makes the game a more puzzle like experience. I went for Ghost and Clean Hands on my run, getting all portraits, bone charms and runes. I barely knocked anyone out unless it was necessary. Still working on the flooded district currently. Really have to figure out the best route and learn the level layout. Loving it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The part in the Flooded District where I have to
retrieve my gear
is the hardest part yet.

At leat, I could just drop a grenade down there but I'm trying to keep it non-lethal. Even though I already know certain people will definately feel the cold of my steel blade piercing their throats while they gaze into my horroresque mask as if I was Death himself.

I just dropped down, grabbed my gear, and ran away. Did the whole thing non lethal.

Ending spoilers:
Killed everyone and didn't save Emily, fuck Dunwall.

Didn't even realize you could just not save Emily in that last part of high chaos. I shanked Havelock as soon as I got up to the roof. Even though I've finished high and low chaos, I might load up my high chaos save and see how the ending is without saving Emily.

:p I just can't predict when I would be seen and when not.

Have you tried not standing right in front of people? :p

I find the game is ridiculously forgiving about being spotted.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I love the setting in both games. I think the writing in Bioshock 1 is generally better, for the most part, and it gets its thematic ideas through a bit more clearly.
I agree with you (I seem to agree with just about every fucking word you type) but I do want to give a shout-out to the sections in which you control a Little Sister for brief periods. I felt like these were really well-realized and communicated a lot about how the status quo in Rapture is maintained despite resembling such degenerate chaos to the player under normal circumstances.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
World-wise, I like Dishonored considerably more than Bioshock. I just don't think Rapture The Ayn Rand Wet Dream is nearly as interesting as Dunwall's mixture of Antonov's futuristic aesthetic and Victorian sensibilities.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I like them both a lot, and I hope games continue to try riskier, more compelling settings (while Infinite looks great to me in every other way, Columbia doesn't look quite as inspired; jingoism in the sky vs. objectivism in the sea :p). I think plague-ridden Dunwall is pretty impressively realized and nails its premise as we're kind of right in the middle of it, whereas Bioshock nails the atmosphere of "what the hell happened here"- you've shown up far too late.

branny

I'm not a huge fan of Bioshock, but I am infatuated with how it begins (maybe the first hour or so). Some of the plasmids are pretty awesome, too. I'd kill for a couple of those in Dishonored.

I also adore ME1 (shotgun bastion adept makes that game super fun for me), so sadface @ Zeliard. :(

I think Dunwall is fine.

edit: I just realized that in both of my playthroughs thus far, I haven't seen anyone wearing that freaky baby mask at Lady Boyle's party. Was that taken out?

SJRB

Gold Member
I just dropped down, grabbed my gear, and ran away. Did the whole thing non lethal.

That is a solid strategy, but I'm going for a ghost playthrough so I didn't want to get spotted. I just had to be patient for a while and use possess to break up the group. Turned out to be easier than I initially thought.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm not a huge fan of Bioshock, but I am infatuated with how it begins (maybe the first hour or so). Some of the plasmids are pretty awesome, too. I'd kill for a couple of those in Dishonored.

I also adore ME1 (shotgun bastion adept makes that game super fun for me), so sadface @ Zeliard. :(

I think Dunwall is fine.

edit: I just realized that in both of my playthroughs thus far, I haven't seen anyone wearing that freaky baby mask at Lady Boyle's party. Was that taken out?

Unless it's randomized, the baby mask lady is outside talking with two others about how she would die without gossip and loses her invitation.

And I agree with you on Bioshock and ME. The demo for Bioshock was mindblowing for me, but I don't like the game itself much, Rapture was interesting to unravel. Dishonored's world is very well done as well.

I think Dunwall is fine.

The opening couple hours of Bioshock might be one of the most riveting of any game I have ever played.

Enco

The opening couple hours of Bioshock might be one of the most riveting of any game I have ever played.
Totally agree.

Can't think of another game that beats the stunning atmosphere.

It's simply brilliant. Deus Ex is pretty close atmosphere wise but the intro has nothing on that of Bioshock.

Zeliard

I agree with you (I seem to agree with just about every fucking word you type) but I do want to give a shout-out to the sections in which you control a Little Sister for brief periods. I felt like these were really well-realized and communicated a lot about how the status quo in Rapture is maintained despite resembling such degenerate chaos to the player under normal circumstances.

Bioshock 2 did have some neat ideas to explore. Minerva's Den also delves into some interesting areas.

World-wise, I like Dishonored considerably more than Bioshock. I just don't think Rapture The Ayn Rand Wet Dream is nearly as interesting as Dunwall's mixture of Antonov's futuristic aesthetic and Victorian sensibilities.

I'm a big fan of Dishonored's retro-futuristic, 'whaleoil-punk' setting as well, and its whale oil painting aesthetic is also very distinctive. I think it works to great effect.

<3

derFeef

Have you tried not standing right in front of people? :p

I find the game is ridiculously forgiving about being spotted.

Hm, that's not what I am experiencing, but I am playing on the hardest difficulty if that makes any difference. If it keeps being frustrating in that regard I might skip my stealth plans (as I had planned originally).

muffs92

I love this game to death but I really wish there were more trap items/abilities and more ways to make stuff work together...

I love this game to death but I really wish there were more trap items/abilities and more ways to make stuff work together...

This game really rewards trying to think outside the box. Speaking of traps, I was on top of a roof and wanted to take out a group of enemies but a grenade would be too loud. So I actually didn't think this would work, but it did...

I froze time, switched to my crossbow, fired an arrow in the direction of the group, walked to the side of the arrow and placed a spring razor on it. Freeze time then cancelled out, but I saw that the razor flew to the group of enemies and killed them all, also making the turn to ash with the shadow kill upgrade I had.

A-mazing!

Computron

This game really rewards trying to think outside the box. Speaking of traps, I was on top of a roof and wanted to take out a group of enemies but a grenade would be too loud. So I actually didn't think this would work, but it did...

I froze time, switched to my crossbow, fired an arrow in the direction of the group, walked to the side of the arrow and placed a spring razor on it. Freeze time then cancelled out, but I saw that the razor flew to the group of enemies and killed them all, also making the turn to ash with the shadow kill upgrade I had.

A-mazing!

That's pretty cool.

ScOULaris

A-mazing!

That's pretty freakin' creative. I'm gonna have to try that.

Crap...so I am on the second target and wanted to take the alternate quest route in the distillery. Made it through and grabbed the first part of the quest. Entering the door again spawns a new thug who sees me every time I load in because I had previously left a sleeping body near the entrance. Mannnnnn...now I can't even finish it the way I want to (I am doing a non-lethal ghost play through btw.) I want to love you Dishonored but damnit!

Top Bottom