• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

The only way to play baby!

i1tUsxzGVvcj1.JPG

Sooo satisfying

Pooya

beat it, that ending was underwhelming :(

I have so many questions

-who was the Outsider guy anyway? Is there something interesting in the books about him?

-I sent the assassin head a message by pick pocketing him (tried possessing him first, that was pretty cool, freeze time won't work either, I had to posses the other guy to pick up the key, then cancel, pick pocket and posses him again and out of there, that was great, even then he said I knew I was there xD), I thought there must be more about him, that's it?

He met the Outsider too, he obviously had powers along with the other assassins but why?

I didn't read the book, if there is something I like to know.

lol, i quoted that ending spoiler filled post above to say how tempting it was to read the spoilers, but forgot that the spoiler tags disappear when you quote a post. I slammed my eyes shut.

My wife and i looked at me like i was crazy.

This game really rewards trying to think outside the box. Speaking of traps, I was on top of a roof and wanted to take out a group of enemies but a grenade would be too loud. So I actually didn't think this would work, but it did...

I froze time, switched to my crossbow, fired an arrow in the direction of the group, walked to the side of the arrow and placed a spring razor on it. Freeze time then cancelled out, but I saw that the razor flew to the group of enemies and killed them all, also making the turn to ash with the shadow kill upgrade I had.

A-mazing!

Uh I think that gets the gold medal. Absolutely incredible man.

branny

Too bad that's limited to lethal playthroughs. We really could use some AoE nonlethal stuff, like sleeping gas or something. It's still crazy that you can stick a spring razor on a crossbow bolt.

Too bad that's limited to lethal playthroughs. We really could use some AoE nonlethal stuff, like sleeping gas or something. It's still crazy that you can stick a spring razor on a crossbow bolt.

Yeah that would be great. I didn't think it would be possible but I'm enjoying my second play-through even more. The landscape of this game really is a reflection of your choices and its hard to see that on one play-through.

beat it, that ending was underwhelming :(

I have so many questions

-who was the Outsider guy anyway? Is there something interesting in the books about him?

-I sent the assassin head a message by pick pocketing him (tried possessing him first, that was pretty cool, freeze time won't work either, I had to posses the other guy to pick up the key, then cancel, pick pocket and posses him again and out of there, that was great, even then he said I knew I was there xD), I thought there must be more about him, that's it?

He met the Outsider too, he obviously had powers along with the other assassins but why?

I didn't read the book, if there is something I like to know.

There is some really cool stuff on the outsider in the books. If you do a second play-through look for the books about people worshiping him or fighting against him. Basically it comes down to 2 religious fanatical groups. Those on the side of the Outsider and those that aren't. Deun was contacted by the Outsider just as you were and set on a totally different path. You find lots of books that refer to other people being used by the Outsider as you are. His end-game and true intentions aren't made completely clear by this game(I imagine they are saving stuff for the sequel) but if you use your Heart in the void she says soon it will encompass all life. So I am loosely assuming through chaotic means and followers the Outsiders influence could grow to the point where his world "The Void" dominates Dunwall and everything else.

Finished. Got the Low Chaos ending. Great game.

I'm always a sucker for a happy ending. I tore fast through The Lighthouse to get to Havelock... but I was surprised when Havelock's gone half-crazy and talking to himself and has killed off the other two. I just choked him out and tossed him on the table.

I went non-lethal on everybody and knocked out Daud as well though a few poor guards and Granny Rags bit the dust. Daud was interesting, when I realized he was remorseful, I was torn between wanting to kill him and showing mercy. Ended up showing mercy. And the Heart was the Empress's heart! I had a suspicion but it was confirmed when I came across Daud. And Havelock, what a dick. Anyways, awesome game. Loved it all the way through.

Game is great. Really enjoyed it. I read some people didn't like the ending song, but I love it! It's a great track.

I wish there was another game set in this universe, if only to see more of The Outsider. He's interesting.

branny

I wish there was another game set in this universe, if only to see more of The Outsider. He's interesting.
Considering how The Outsider finds Corvo interesting (and that Corvo is the player), I think the feeling is mutual. :lol

If there are more games in the universe, I wouldn't be surprised if The Outsider became the glue to hold the series together.
Running around, bestowing supernatural powers to random people in position to drastically alter the status quo for shits and giggles? Sounds good to me. We already saw it a couple times in the game, actually. :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finished the Golden Cat on my fuck everyone up playthrough. Liking this a lot more this way, I already have Bend Time 2 and Possession so I am able to really mess with the AI a lot. On my nonlethal playthrough I only went into the Golden Cat and saw a couple rooms, I missed out on two actual floors so it was nice to fully see that area now.

I kept tossing bodies off the top balcony near a guard patrolling on the street, lol. Would've been nice if you could freak them out more.

It's quite impressive how different high chaos and low chaos feels throughout the city. Rats and weepers plague the streets, and conversations with characters often reflects this. Whereas on my first playthrough, which was low chaos, it was pretty smooth sailing for most people. Not many rats, barely any weepers and just a less hostile atmosphere.

I'm also impressed by how much stuff I've missed compared to my previous stealth non-killing (mostly) playthrough, including meeting and talking to characters I haven't seen before or got the chance to speak to, like Granny Rags. Grif was a weeper in my first playthrough for some reason. But this time I saved him.

Oh and Callista. <3

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finished. Got the Low Chaos ending. Great game.

I'm always a sucker for a happy ending. I tore fast through The Lighthouse to get to Havelock... but I was surprised when Havelock's gone half-crazy and talking to himself and has killed off the other two. I just choked him out and tossed him on the table.

I went non-lethal on everybody and knocked out Daud as well though a few poor guards and Granny Rags bit the dust. Daud was interesting, when I realized he was remorseful, I was torn between wanting to kill him and showing mercy. Ended up showing mercy. And the Heart was the Empress's heart! I had a suspicion but it was confirmed when I came across Daud. And Havelock, what a dick. Anyways, awesome game. Loved it all the way through.

Game is great. Really enjoyed it. I read some people didn't like the ending song, but I love it! It's a great track.

You're in luck! The DLC is going to be focused on other locations with other assassins, it seems. Hopefully that means new cities, new stories, and new characters.

I really like The Outsider. They never call him anything else, but it's hard to look at him and not immediately call him Loki. He grants people power just to create mischief and chaos.

Finished the Golden Cat on my fuck everyone up playthrough. Liking this a lot more this way, I already have Bend Time 2 and Possession so I am able to really mess with the AI a lot. On my nonlethal playthrough I only went into the Golden Cat and saw a couple rooms, I missed out on two actual floors so it was nice to fully see that area now.

I kept tossing bodies off the top balcony near a guard patrolling on the street, lol. Would've been nice if you could freak them out more.

This is why I really loved playing the game twice. The non-lethal playthrough was very restrained and calculating, and my second high chaos playthrough was all about causing as much havoc as possible.

I still did it via stealth, but with shadow kill, taking out dudes without raising alarms is stupidly simple.

This game really rewards trying to think outside the box. Speaking of traps, I was on top of a roof and wanted to take out a group of enemies but a grenade would be too loud. So I actually didn't think this would work, but it did...

I froze time, switched to my crossbow, fired an arrow in the direction of the group, walked to the side of the arrow and placed a spring razor on it. Freeze time then cancelled out, but I saw that the razor flew to the group of enemies and killed them all, also making the turn to ash with the shadow kill upgrade I had.

A-mazing!

Holy shit, that's amazing.

Going into the last mission I was at high chaos, killing fools left and right...

So as Samuel pulls up to the dock he starts giving me shit about how I am an awful person. He basically says 'fuck you, I'm going to sound the alarm and let them know you are here'. As his hand is going for the radio switch, I slash him in the face and he goes flying into the water dead. So much for High Chaos affecting my last mission. Stealthed right through that shit.

KuGsj.gif

I love this game.

Papercuts

This is why I really loved playing the game twice. The non-lethal playthrough was very restrained and calculating, and my second high chaos playthrough was all about causing as much havoc as possible.

I still did it via stealth, but with shadow kill, taking out dudes without raising alarms is stupidly simple.

Yeah, I'm still sneaking around to avoid alarms, but am doing stuff like Bend Time into a room and killing 3 people before it's done. If I get caught I just kill them before the alarm is triggered or deactivate it ahead of time. Mostly doing this to hear the conversations I've missed...I found some Overseer in the first mission protecting his sister who was being accused as a witch, somehow missed that last time. I helped them and then slit them both in the throat, though. :)

Kingsparrow Island
- final mission?

Yup.

Solo

Ok, good, ready to be done. Game never really got me liked I'd hoped. The gameplay just isn't fun enough to support the art and amazing world design. Its basically HL2 all over again, but minus an interesting and engaging narrative.

You're in luck! The DLC is going to be focused on other locations with other assassins, it seems. Hopefully that means new cities, new stories, and new characters.

Sounds awesome! I'm in.

I really like The Outsider. They never call him anything else, but it's hard to look at him and not immediately call him Loki. He grants people power just to create mischief and chaos.

I love the character. He's just so intriguing. He does things like this just cause it's interesting, he's not a dick about it. He's like a scientist or something on another level.

My only wish is, it would have been cooler to have The Outsider appear to Corvo as he did in the initial CG trailer. That was cool.

Ok, good, ready to be done. Game never really got me liked I'd hoped. The gameplay just isn't fun enough to support the art and amazing world design. Its basically HL2 all over again, but minus an interesting and engaging narrative.

I thought the narrative was engaging enough. It's a simple revenge plot, but it's done very well, I thought (minus silent protagonist).

Going into the last mission I was at high chaos, killing fools left and right...

So as Samuel pulls up to the dock he starts giving me shit about how I am an awful person. He basically says 'fuck you, I'm going to sound the alarm and let them know you are here'. As his hand is going for the radio switch, I slash him in the face and he goes flying into the water dead. So much for High Chaos affecting my last mission. Stealthed right through that shit.

KuGsj.gif

I love this game.

Me too man me too. This game just gets better and better

Observation: all the women in this game wear pants. There are no skirts/dresses in Dunwall.

Also, has anyone ever slowed time by pushing L2 while sheathing/unsheathing your sword? Fascinating.

Really?
Her identity is so easily revealed. It has an awesome premises, but it's not explored well. There should be way more NPCs and variety in the mission in my opinion.
Yeah.

It was as easy as climbing the staircase clearly marked "DON'T GO HERE". Boyle's room was literally the first room you come across. Just a notebook that screams the fact. I was expecting to have to compile a lot of notes and play the elimination game, but the game just tells you. In the very least, that piece of evidence should have been locked behind a door with a difficult key to get. Oh, well. Still fun. Doesn't quite top Oblivion's "Whodunnit?" quest, though.

Papercuts

Observation: all the women in this game wear pants. There are no skirts/dresses in Dunwall.

Also, has anyone ever slowed time by pushing L2 while sheathing/unsheathing your sword? Fascinating.

Yeah.

It was as easy as climbing the staircase clearly marked "DON'T GO HERE". Boyle's room was literally the first room you come across. Just a notebook that screams the fact. I was expecting to have to compile a lot of notes and play the elimination game, but the game just tells you. In the very least, that piece of evidence should have been locked behind a door with a difficult key to get. Oh, well. Still fun. Doesn't quite top Oblivion's "Whodunnit?" quest, though.

You never even need to go upstairs. Just give the lady with the fly mask a drink(which she asks for and it's in the room right next to her) and she outright says she's in red.

Definitely waaay too easy, but I liked the mission for what it was.

You never even need to go upstairs. Just give the lady with the fly mask a drink(which she asks for and it's in the room right next to her) and she outright says she's in red.

Definitely waaay too easy, but I liked the mission for what it was.
Just to add:
the Boyle you're hunting for changes each playthrough. The solution's still easy, but I like that it changes it up. You still have to go through identifying her rather than psychically knowing to kill/KO the one you first encountered every subsequent playthrough.

bumclot

You must have made a lucky guess,
because you need more than the color of her dress to identify her, the color is random. You'd then need to talk to Brisby so he can name the sister that is conspiring with the Lord Regent. Then you can match the name to the dress color.

Some missions do seem a little oversimplified, though.
Like, I thought I'd have to do more for the Pendleton twins non-lethal objective. It would be cool if you had to find wigs to disguise them, you had to cut out there tongues, etc., instead of having Slackjaw handle everything. Basically, treat the objectives more like a point-and-click adventure game.

Claude

Catalina's bitch

KuGsj.gif

I love this game.

Same, except
I shot him in the face with a crossbow bolt. He few out of the boat and landed in the water. Afterwards, I watched the Hagfish eat his corpse.

God, I'm a terrible person.

Kud Dukan

Finished tonight with low chaos. Really enjoyed the game. Tried to avoid killing whenever possible, which was difficult because killing and combat is very satisfying. My plan for playthrough two: kill anything that moves.

Papercuts

You must have made a lucky guess,
because you need more than the color of her dress to identify her, the color is random. You'd then need to talk to Brisby so he can name the sister that is conspiring with the Lord Regent. Then you can match the name to the dress color.

Some missions do seem a little oversimplified, though.
Like, I thought I'd have to do more for the Pendleton twins non-lethal objective. It would be cool if you had to find wigs to disguise them, you had to cut out there tongues, etc., instead of having Slackjaw handle everything. Basically, treat the objectives more like a point-and-click adventure game.

I was pretty sure I ended up doing the whole mission out of sequence, lol. Something bugged out and made people freak out before I did anything and she ended up talking to me about music then going downstairs.

I agree with the twins though. Like I mentioned earlier, on my lethal playthrough I just now really explored the golden cat. On my nonlethal I not only missed out on two floors, I never even saw either of them.

Dresden

Finished tonight with low chaos. Really enjoyed the game. Tried to avoid killing whenever possible, which was difficult because killing and combat is very satisfying. My plan for playthrough two: kill anything that moves.

After doing no-lethal for my first run, I tried doing a kill 'em all run for the second and it's a bit too boring. Had this happen to me on DXHR too, but then, I love nonlethal stuff.

jett

D-Member

I like slowing down time when I break glass. It looks neat.

Jb

Man that ending really came out of nowhere...
I was sure they were going to do more with the lighthouse but they don't even use the very top
I still loved the game to death, but it was also basically made for me as I love Arkane's previous stuff, sneakily moving around the environments and looking around for collectibles. If there's going to be a seque they need to work on their storytelling for the main quest, but the world they've created would be worth revisiting.

I also hope Bethesda will use the experience Arkane has accumulated in first person melee and stealth for the future TES.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Could you elaborate on this DLC, please?

DrBo42

Can someone tell me how far through the game I am?
Just did the Lady Boyle mission, now I have to kill the big bad in his lame tower.
Please tell me this isn't it.

cackhyena

Exactly how I'm feeling.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone tell me how far through the game I am?
Just did the Lady Boyle mission, now I have to kill the big bad in his lame tower.
Please tell me this isn't it.

You're on mission 5 of 9.

TheOddOne

I will never get this, lol.
The prison section is the easiest to be honest, because the guards walk in set patterns. Always wait till they are finished with a conversation, after that they are oblivious to what&#8217;s happening around them. Choke people that are on their own and always pick them up instantly after it, dump &#8216;em somewhere safe. Also, if you can avoid something easy without many guards, just walk on by, they won&#8217;t notice anything. The last section of the prison is the only hard part, find the sneak route and choke the two guards in the last room, but make sure you put them both beneath the stairs to avoid blowing them up when you place the bomb. After that just take your time, go left sneaking and jump in the water.

I wish this game had co-op, would be funny to sneak around with friends :)

How many kills does it take to go from near 0 chaos to high chaos? Could I for example replay from the
Boyle
mission killing everyone and get to high chaos by the end?

Man that ending really came out of nowhere...
I was sure they were going to do more with the lighthouse but they don't even use the very top

The last level oddly enough gets more use if you're going for a high chaos finish.
Some parts of it are reserved for that outcome; particularly the place you mention.

Enco

I'm back at the
Hounds Pub
and I feel like a huge fucking badass. Damn it's fun to link powers and weapons up in a big combo.

No mercy for those fucks.

Top Bottom