• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm very excited about this game and I've barely watched any footage. Just watching the artwork I knew this is something special in the making.

So, am I right in assuming that this game will be kinda like Bioshock, which is one of my favorite games of all time?

In what way are you thinking it's like Bioshock? It's a stealth assassination game, so not really. It has cool powers and weaponry, so to that extent I guess it could be considered similar.

If anything, it's more like Thief with magic.

Dark Messiah was patched twice from release. It works really good now.
No, it just doesn't crash as much (although it always crashes on exit). The game is still extremely buggy/janky in spite of largely being in very linear corridors and loaded with scripted sequences. If you don't constantly save you're at risk of getting locked out of progression due to scripting glitches.

There are a couple interesting ideas in the game (much like in Arx and Bio2) but Arkane's record is not one that inspires confidence in paying a lot for launch-day access.

In what way are you thinking it's like Bioshock? It's a stealth assassination game, so not really. It has cool powers and weaponry, so to that extent I guess it could be considered similar.

Because the hands look similar.......lol.

because Bioshock owns steampunk now

Deadbeat

Banned
No, it just doesn't crash as much (although it always crashes on exit). The game is still extremely buggy/janky in spite of largely being in very linear corridors and loaded with scripted sequences. If you don't constantly save you're at risk of getting locked out of progression due to scripting glitches.

There are a couple interesting ideas in the game (much like in Arx and Bio2) but Arkane's record is not one that inspires confidence in paying a lot for launch-day access.
Ive played through Dark Messiah 4 times now. Once with warrior focus, once with wizard focus, twice as a thief. I had around 5 crashes in the first two playthroughs but then the latter two were on windows 7 and I had none. I never had scripted sequences breaking. The game still had exploration while being somewhat linear.

Please tell me what parts of the game you had the scripted issues. I am curious.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So with GMG do I have to wait till the release date to get the steam key?

Depends on when they get their keys. If they get them early they send them out for pre-load. I think every game I've pre-ordered with them has sent out keys prior to the release date.

Ive played through Dark Messiah 4 times now. Once with warrior focus, once with wizard focus, twice as a thief. I had around 5 crashes in the first two playthroughs but then the latter two were on windows 7 and I had none. I never had scripted sequences breaking. The game still had exploration while being somewhat linear.

Please tell me what parts of the game you had the scripted issues. I am curious.

The boat hijack level broke after using the on-boat ballista against the invading defenders. I scoured the level looking for what was no doubt the final invader who must have clipped into oblivion. I had to reload the entire level from the start to prevent this from happening.

Similar issue after retrieving returning the item to the ruined area in the Temple of the Spider. Two goblin-esque creatures are supposed to appear, which you have to fight before the gate will open. They did not, had to restart the level. The cliffside area had issues with the elevator (had to keep messing with the switch). Those are the major scripting issues; other issues involving enemy behavior are prevalent.

The game is extremely linear unless the final levels somehow open up significantly. What little exploration exists is akin to Uncharted 3 or Metro 2033, in that a quick deviation will get you a bit of treasure, and every now and then a combat zone will provide a couple different directions to kick enemies in. When I think of exploration that "matters" in a first-person non-RPG I think of System Shock (the first one in particular) or Realms of the Haunting. Really, the only game that Arkane has ever made that I think emphasized exploration in any meaningful way was Arx Fatalis, and that came out a decade ago.

Deadbeat

Banned
The boat hijack level broke after using the on-boat ballista against the invading defenders. I scoured the level looking for what was no doubt the final invader who must have clipped into oblivion. I had to reload the entire level from the start to prevent this from happening.

Similar issue after retrieving returning the item to the ruined area in the Temple of the Spider. Two goblin-esque creatures are supposed to appear, which you have to fight before the gate will open. They did not, had to restart the level. The cliffside area had issues with the elevator (had to keep messing with the switch). Those are the major scripting issues; other issues involving enemy behavior are prevalent.

The game is extremely linear unless the final levels somehow open up significantly. What little exploration exists is akin to Uncharted 3 or Metro 2033, in that a quick deviation will get you a bit of treasure, and every now and then a combat zone will provide a couple different directions to kick enemies in. When I think of exploration that "matters" in a first-person non-RPG I think of System Shock (the first one in particular) or Realms of the Haunting. Really, the only game that Arkane has ever made that I think emphasized exploration in any meaningful way was Arx Fatalis, and that came out a decade ago.
When you say the game is extremely linear that means cod equivalent in terms of exploration. Combat zones with multiple options and the ability to go down alternate dead ends to find goods is far from the extremely linear description you are giving.

The cliffside with the elevator, theres a delay before it kicks in. Were you just flipping it constantly without waiting a couple secs? I never encountered issues with the boat hijack or those necrodogs. The closest issue I had was the paokai killing but even then it always worked.

The problem with the game itself is it just wasnt done. Look how in Menelag's chamber you had the secret with the candle holder and it gave you one skill point yet none of the other secrets did shit. Then theres a couple sidequests with killing the cyclopses or the giant spider in the necromancer lair. The game looked like it was going to expand its options but ran out of time. This is more to blame on Ubisoft than Arkane.

In fairness, I've heard from a few people its quite Bioshock-y. That includes an aquaintance who worked on it. Lots of Thief as well, but the Shock-influence is definitely felt.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The main quality of Thief (at least for me) is its minimalism. This game doesn't feel minimalistic so far. Well, whatever. I'm just playing Thief Gold now and it's totally awesome and enthralling.

Hindle

Banned
I didn't think they would pull this off when I first read the premise. Blending Thief, Hitman and Deus Ex into one game is very hard to do.

Cheech

Well, I hate the Hitman games due to complete linearity, but loved Thief (one of my favorite games of all time, actually), and loved Deus Ex. Hmm.

diamount

Banned
Yeah I saw it from someone on here but it was quoted from twitter originally. I'm kind of upset by it but I still have Xcom coming at midnight and I got that on Steam so GMG can't fuck me on that one.

It sucks but most people order from GMG because of the discounted price, if you want to play it on midnight then order from Steam.

Derrick01

Banned
Well, I hate the Hitman games due to complete linearity, but loved Thief (one of my favorite games of all time, actually), and loved Deus Ex. Hmm.

It's not really linear if you have multiple ways to complete objectives and usually have free reign to roam around the entire level and plan for your attack.

ctrayne

It's not really linear if you have multiple ways to complete objectives and usually have free reign to roam around the entire level and plan for your attack.

Mr. Accurate. At least Blood Money is like this, not sure on the older Hitmans. But BM is anything but linear.

Just glanced through the manual, looks good. Really can't wait for this. I loved Dark Messiah, jankiness and all. This looks to go far beyond that game.

Duffyside

Banned
Bought this game for the Day 1 Digital thing Sony is now doing. Waiting to see how badly they fuck it up, as I'm sure I won't be able to pre-download, that it won't be available at midnight, and might not be available until like 6pm.

It's ok for me personally in this situation, as I won't really have time to play until that night anyway, but Sony does need to get all of that figured out if they expect the service to be meaningful. Midnight launch. Preload.

Jb

What's linear about the Hitman games that isn't present in Thief or Deus Ex?

Yeah... not sure I understand his point. The order in which you complete missions is linear, but the missions themselves are the textbook definition of non-linear.
On topic, the youtube interactive walkthrough is pretty neat.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Totally pre-ordered this on GMG today with the 25% off coupon, pretty nice price :D. Like 40% cheaper for me (TY Dollar exchange rate!). Also cool to hear that Daniel Licht is doing the soundtrack, really like his style and it's nice to see him scoring more videogames :)

Only really heard his music in Dexter but hey. Looking forward to this a shitload. But I got to tackle Dark Souls first.

GorillaJu

The stiff, expressive art style, the cartoony animations, the color palette, the powers, the silent protagonist, and the general atmosphere of the game are all very reminiscent of BioShock.

The stiff, expressive art style, the cartoony animations, the color palette, the powers, the silent protagonist, and the general atmosphere of the game are all very reminiscent of BioShock.

Spot on.

It's silly to say that this game isn't quite "Bioshock-y"; certainly not a bad thing in my eyes.

zkylon

zkylewd
I can see how you would compare them, but Dishonored definitively has its own look and gameplay wise they have totally different focuses.

Top Bottom