• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Deadbeat

Banned
The stiff, expressive art style, the cartoony animations, the color palette, the powers, the silent protagonist, and the general atmosphere of the game are all very reminiscent of BioShock.
So im going to be the guy that assassinated the empress all along? or is the game not aping its previous designs that far?

The game sounds promising, but i think the Unreal Engine 3 or current gen tech is holding the game´s atmosphere back a little bit.

I have this feeling that this game could be much more atmospheric with better tech supporting it. Just look at the first cg trailer. The gameplay footage shown can`t match the great mood of that trailer.

The interactive trailer is a bit glitchy, it didn't allow me to choose the sequences.

weird. you sure you didn't have 'hide annotations' selected?

The game sounds promising, but i think the Unreal Engine 3 or current gen tech is holding the game´s atmosphere back a little bit.

I have this feeling that this game could be much more atmospheric with better tech supporting it. Just look at the first cg trailer. The gameplay footage shown can`t match the great mood of that trailer.

i got the feeling long ago that this game is a bit held back by budget.

I was browsing the official forums and found out there is not a new game+. Kind of a bummer as I think it'd be fun to go through again whilst super super powered. But I'm not really worried, as I'm sure there will be an edit to an .ini file or a trainer of some sort that'll let us dick around if we want.

I plan on playing through this on the hard difficulty and then the hardest with no HUD as then I'll have a better grasp on the level layout. But, it would be fun to add in an O.P. new game+ mode. O well. Thankful for the ability to play on the PC, just wish it was an option from the get go.

Respawn

Banned
Just preordered for $37 on BestBuy for PC. After that infiltration vid I was like woah.

Running HDMI from Nvidia 580 right into my Samsung HD for the win.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think it's a good thing myself. All those things I named as similarities are things I really loved about BioShock.
Just saying that you might not get what you're expecting if you want something in the lines of Bioshock. I mean, for starters one's a FPS and the other a stealth game.

Just saying that you might not get what you're expecting if you want something in the lines of Bioshock. I mean, for starters one's a FPS and the other a stealth game.

Luckily, this games supports both playstyles. So if you prefer an FPS you can have it. I'm gonna solid (rat)snake this all the way through though. Ghost runs.

zkylon

zkylewd
Luckily, this games supports both playstyles. So if you prefer an FPS you can have it. I'm gonna solid (rat)snake this all the way through though. Ghost runs.
You can take the "action" route and kill everybody but the game seems to be a lot more melee oriented. Haven't seen a video yet that shows you can play the game as a straight up shooter like you would Bioshock.

You can take the "action" route and kill everybody but the game seems to be a lot more melee oriented. Haven't seen a video yet that shows you can play the game as a straight up shooter like you would Bioshock.

Well you do have a straight up crossbow. But that's not really a balls to the wall weapon to go on a shooting rampage that's for sure. I imagine you can probably get a blackpowder-like pistol.

On another topic:

Has anyone heard much about modding for this? I imagine that it being an UE3 game it shouldn't be too hard. It would be fun to mess around with, imagine giving yourself a machine gun, that would be hilarious as it would be so out of place.

If anyone is super bored and looking for anything Dishonored related there is this which is essentially a browser based first person perspective, that lets you walk around in dream like area looking for icons that give you more information and videos about the powers of Dishonored. I think it may only work with Google Chrome though, not too sure, as I use Chrome.

Enjoy?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Has anyone heard much about modding for this? I imagine that it being an UE3 game it shouldn't be too hard. It would be fun to mess around with, imagine giving yourself a machine gun, that would be hilarious as it would be so out of place.

Well, the game IS Steamworks, so hopefully there's Workshop support.

GorillaJu

They're both first person shooters, by most definitions, dude. There is even some bit of stealth in BioShock – sneaking around Big Daddies, for instance. How you go about playing them won't be the same and neither will the stories, but as I pointed out there are a lot of design choices in Dishonored that make it very much "something in the lines of BioShock." Inception and Batman: TDKR are very different movies but both employ a lot of similar aesthetic and audial styles that one could easily draw comparisons between them.

zkylon

zkylewd
They're both first person shooters, by most definitions, dude. There is even some bit of stealth in BioShock – sneaking around Big Daddies, for instance. How you go about playing them won't be the same and neither will the stories, but as I pointed out there are a lot of design choices in Dishonored that make it very much "something in the lines of BioShock." Inception and Batman: TDKR are very different movies but both employ a lot of similar aesthetic and audial styles that one could easily draw comparisons between them.
Dishonored is not a first person shooter by any means...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Dishonored is about as much a first person shooter as Thief is.

GorillaJu

Being in the FPS genre is about more than just blazing guns everywhere. It's about the control method, how you navigate the map, etc.

Yes the lines between genres are blurred and new sub-genres are created, but the fundamentals of Dishonored's gameplay, from what I've seen, certainly put it in the FPS genre.

Pandemic

Hmm, should I pre-order online and get it delivered to my door which will take a few days, which I'm willing to wait.. Or pre-order it through the store and get it on the day of release but have to be bothered to go to the store...?

Massive dilemma on my hands..

zkylon

zkylewd
Being in the FPS genre is about more than just blazing guns everywhere. It's about the control method, how you navigate the map, etc.

Yes the lines between genres are blurred and new sub-genres are created, but the fundamentals of Dishonored's gameplay, from what I've seen, certainly put it in the FPS genre.
That's like saying Skyrim is a FPS because you use WASD to move around, you can jump, duck and shoot arrows and fireballs while aiming with your mouse. Or that Portal or Dear Esther or Minecraft or Condemned are FPSes.

You seem to understand that there's a big difference between Dishonored and regular FPSes, so I'll drop it here, but I don't see why every game that has some of the FPS mechanical trappings should be called such.

CaLe

Damnit, how am I going to get through my backlog with all these awesome games coming out.

I'm already knee-deep in The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Mists of Pandaria and Diablo 3.

Argh.

The Chef

Damnit, how am I going to get through my backlog with all these awesome games coming out.

I'm already knee-deep in The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Mists of Pandaria and Diablo 3.

Argh.

Im not nearly as deep as you but right now I am really into Borderlands and my hand is hovering over the "Preorder Now" button on Newegg. God damn I just dont know what to do. I am such a cheap bastard I feel like I JUST bought B2 and now Im gonna barely give it the light of day starting next week.

If only I could understand the concept of "wait and get this game later" but that is virtually impossible for me.

CaLe

Im not nearly as deep as you but right now I am really into Borderlands and my hand is hovering over the "Preorder Now" button on Newegg. God damn I just dont know what to do. I am such a cheap bastard I feel like I JUST bought B2 and now Im gonna barely give it the light of day starting next week.

If only I could understand the concept of "wait and get this game later" but that is virtually impossible for me.

God... I forgot about Borderlands 2. I know exactly how you feel.

I have a feeling this "holding back" thing is going to get more and more futile as the holidays approach.

Whenever I purchase a game at launch, I tell myself I encourage developers and help the industry.

GorillaJu

That's like saying Skyrim is a FPS because you use WASD to move around, you can jump, duck and shoot arrows and fireballs while aiming with your mouse. Or that Portal or Dear Esther or Minecraft or Condemned are FPSes.

You seem to understand that there's a big difference between Dishonored and regular FPSes, so I'll drop it here, but I don't see why every game that has some of the FPS mechanical trappings should be called such.

You seem to be intent on missing the point over and over and harping on about differences in semantics and diction. Going back to the original point I made that you strangely dragged off topic, I didn't even mention gameplay mechanics or genres at all. I brought up aesthetic similarities, which a few people chimed in to agree with.

Gaf's propensity for bickering over semantics has once again defeated my will to try and discuss something relevant to the topic. :lol It is now too much a pain in the ass to be worth arguing. Congratulations.

The Chef

Know what I think my problem is? I RedBoxed Sleeping Dogs. It was the first game i've ever done that with and the whole time I was thinking "Damn it this isn't going to be worth it. Your not gonna even finish this game in time..." But in the end I played the absolute crap out of it and took it back several days later and it cost me $24. I felt pretty good about that decision.

I think what is holding me back from this game is how LONG is this game really? Could I rent this and comfortably play it and finish it I wonder? Someone once mentioned 20 hours for a stealth play through. These days I need more and more justifications for my game purchases...And I hate it.

Dishonored is an FPS with a heavy emphasis on stealth mechanics and RPG elements; just as DX:HR and many other games are. 'FPS' is quite the umbrella term these days, so it's not like labeling it as such takes away from it or dumbs it down at all. If you're going to adamantly assert to the contrary with zero leniency, then your horse is probably a little too high.

The stiff, expressive art style, the cartoony animations, the color palette, the powers, the silent protagonist, and the general atmosphere of the game are all very reminiscent of BioShock.

The biggest Bioshock inspiration is the hand movements when he uses the powers.. it's a bit silly.

Argh.

It doesn't help your backlog when you play two MMO's, an instance based RPG, and a loot-grinder.

CaLe

It doesn't help your backlog when you play two MMO's, an instance based RPG, and a loot-grinder.

To be honest, I only mostly play The Secret World (which is fantastic), the others I just log in and play an hour or so whenever I have some free time.

As for Diablo 3, it's just mindless fun when I'm bored as I've already seen all of the game.

Regardless, I just got this at 45$ from GMG. That's it, no more games for me this year.

F it. Preordered.
Now to go play Borderlands.

*High five*

Argh.
How can you play so many MMO's and not feel burnt out?

I have GW2 and am glad I don't have to pay a subscription for it. Makes me way happier that I don't have to feel pressured to fulfill my obligation to a monthly subscription.

I've put over 90 hours into BL2 and have loved every minute of it, it really scratched that multiplayer co op itch had.

But those were just standbys for Dishonored.

Hype level is high.

CaLe

How can you play so many MMO's and not feel burnt out?

I have GW2 and am glad I don't have to pay a subscription for it. Makes me way happier that I don't have to feel pressured to fulfill my obligation to a monthly subscription.

I've put over 90 hours into BL2 and have loved every minute of it, it really scratched that multiplayer co op itch had.

But those were just standbys for Dishonored.

Hype level is high.

I almost exclusively play TSW (got a lifetime for that), the others I just log in and play an hour or so with friends when they can.

I'm gonna remember you said that lol.

Damnit... DAMNIT.

thetrin

You're talking about first person perspective, not first person shooters, which literally involve shooting on a regular basis. Is Minecraft an FPS to you?

The interactive trailer is a bit glitchy, it didn't allow me to choose the sequences.

It's not glitchy as much as it is dependent on your browser's ability to discern Youtube's in-video link system.

Was just watching sportscenter and saw the commercial for it and they said sportscenter bought to you by Dishonored which is very good there really pushing it.

GorillaJu

I've tried to get around the region protection a million different ways but despite having a US address and American credit card, GMG just won't let me pre-order this damn game.

If my friend buys it on GMG, can he gift it to me?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's the word on some kind of new game+? Or is it like Hitman where you just pick stuff/abilities at the start of the level?

GorillaJu

Dishonored is an FPS with a heavy emphasis on stealth mechanics and RPG elements; just as DX:HR and many other games are. 'FPS' is quite the umbrella term these days, so it's not like labeling it as such takes away from it or dumbs it down at all. If you're going to adamantly assert to the contrary with zero leniency, then your horse is probably a little too high.

Thanks – think you've nailed it better than I could here.

antitrop

I just found out this is from the makers of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

I'm thinking about cancelling my preorder.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just found out this is from the makers of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

I'm thinking about cancelling my preorder.
It's also from the makers of Arx Fatalis.

Obviously it can go either way.

Just the same as when the devs were completely unknown to you.

Top Bottom