• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

muffs92

I just found out this is from the makers of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

I'm thinking about cancelling my preorder.

The only downfall of Dark Messiah on my opinion was the linearity.
Dishonored looks to be remedying that immensely.

If you like what you have seen so far I doubt you will be disappointed.

Eusis

even if you did you wouldn't be able to play it due to Steamworks

edit: assuming you got the PC version that is
Eh, still handy to at least get it the Monday before, it unlocks at 9 PM PST and it'd give time for preloading if installing from disc won't work.

GorillaJu

Hurray GMG finally decided to take my money after I got my friend to set up a proxy server for me. God I hate region restrictions. Pre-order complete.

Phinor

Gamersgate has released keys for pre-load so maybe other stores follow shortly considering Gamersgate almost never releases keys before the day of release even if there's pre-load available.

I hope they do the same with XCOM keys too.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I just found out this is from the makers of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

I'm thinking about cancelling my preorder.

Whys that? Besides as someone else mentioned the game being a bit linear, it was quite well done honestly and did bring some new and interesting things to the table.

Hurray GMG finally decided to take my money after I got my friend to set up a proxy server for me. God I hate region restrictions. Pre-order complete.

Seriously however my past experiences with GmG tell me not to hold my breath. The prices are great, but the last two releases had key issues where those who pre-ordered had to wait a handful of hours whilst new orders on release day got keys instantly. I really hope that doesn't happen again.

jet1911

Seriously however my past experiences with GmG tell me not to hold my breath. The prices are great, but the last two releases had key issues where those who pre-ordered had to wait a handful of hours whilst new orders on release day got keys instantly. I really hope that doesn't happen again.

OMG! A handful of hours? Yeah it's worth 15$.

GorillaJu

Don't see why not. You'll probably either have to stay connected to the VPN or switch to Offline mode after unlocking, and starting the game for the first time.

Steamworks games seem to require you leave the VPN on until the game starts. After that you can do whatever, but you'll need the VPN every time you start the game up.

Doesn't really bother me - so long as I get to play that day, I'm cool. It actually comes out at 4pm my time since I'm in Japan, and I don't get home from work until 9:30-10pm (13 hour days ftw), so it's not going to leave me sitting there tapping my foot while I wait for it to come out.

Hmmm, me no likey the whole staying connected to the VPN thing.

If it's like Borderlands 2 (most recent Steamworks release I'm aware of), you don't gotta stay connected but you do need the VPN to start it up every time you play. Only 3 days difference between US and Euro releases anyway, so really not a big deal.

Torraz

Steamworks games seem to require you leave the VPN on until the game starts. After that you can do whatever, but you'll need the VPN every time you start the game up.

Doesn't really bother me - so long as I get to play that day, I'm cool. It actually comes out at 4pm my time since I'm in Japan, and I don't get home from work until 9:30-10pm (13 hour days ftw), so it's not going to leave me sitting there tapping my foot while I wait for it to come out.

If it's like Borderlands 2 (most recent Steamworks release I'm aware of), you don't gotta stay connected but you do need the VPN to start it up every time you play. Only 3 days difference between US and Euro releases anyway, so really not a big deal.

You can circumvent by starting the game once, using the VPN and then switching to (and staying in) offline mode until the game has released in your region. I've done this for deus ex: HR and borderlands 2 so far.

neoism

$45 still the best deal... the site doesn't like my card either but paypal worked for Borderlands 2 last time.. also will we get the key before the release date... I got my key for bl2 on pre-load day...

neoism

GMG supposedly posted a few days ago that they won't have the keys until release day. So no preload or even midnight launch for us.

110708_040722_94251745.gif

Derrick01

Banned

That seems to be the way they do things. That happened even last year when I was ordering from them. I impulse bought Dead Island 2 days from release and I got a key right away while others were waiting.

Eusis

That seems to be the way they do things. That happened even last year when I was ordering from them. I impulse bought Dead Island 2 days from release and I got a key right away while others were waiting.
It's why I've been waiting too. Code's good until, what, the day AFTER the game comes out? At worst I can just buy just as the game's put up.

OMG! A handful of hours? Yeah it's worth 15$.

It is slightly unfair, but in the end I agree it's worth it. I was just pointing out that this happens a lot with GMG. No need to be contemptuous.

Also, I'm not clear on whether the discount codes are good upon release?

GorillaJu

$45 still the best deal... the site doesn't like my card either but paypal worked for Borderlands 2 last time.. also will we get the key before the release date... I got my key for bl2 on pre-load day...

It's seems to be case-by-case. Borderlands 2 I had no problem buying from Japan with Paypal, but I had to use my friend's proxy to get Dishonored. I tried all kinds of different payment methods and they just weren't having it.

ironcreed

Banned
For those still curious, Harvey again confirms that playing the game direct, without exploring or doing side stuff all that much will last about 12 hours. However, those who take it all in can expect to get around 24 hours out of it. Sounds like it is hitting the sweet spot, to be honest. Especially when you consider the replayability.

Interview with Harvey Smith via Kotaku about Dishonored and it's reason for no boss fights:

Harvey Smith

We also, we faced some of that on Deus Ex I think. The thing is, we're very conscious of tropes in video games that are kind of lazy, frankly. Or dogmatic is the better word perhaps. You know: here's a boss, he reveals his weak spot, you gotta hit it three times and then three times again, whatever.

In the same way that we did not call the game steampunk initially, we called it sort of retro future. We're working with this world class industrial designer Viktor Antonov (Half-Life 2). Our art director [Sebastien Mitton (BioShock 2)], we call him a world class video game art director. Those guys are not just regurgitating steampunk elements seen elsewhere, they are designing things, right? And so Viktor did his thing and Sebastien did his thing, and only then people online started using the term steampunk.

And internally one of our tenets was no cliche steampunk elements. So no brass and rivets and guys in tin helmets or whatever the fuck. And it's fine if people see it as a very innovative take on steampunk, that's great, we don't mind that, it's just that one of our tenets was avoid this overly familiar—because god, if you're gonna spend X dollars on something and X years of your life, you don't have to do exactly what everybody else has done or what you've seen. You don't have to draw your inspirations from what else is on the shelf.

So roundabout way of answering, I guess, is that we never really felt the need for boss monsters. And it seems like a dogmatic feature. And sometimes it's brilliant, right? One of my favorite games of all time was Shadow of the Colossus. If you count those as boss monsters, then wow—way to take that whole feature and make it your whole game and do something utterly brilliant. And it's one of the best 100 games of all time in my opinion.

But in our case it wasn't the focus, and we are kind of careful about avoiding those kind of dogmatic tropes that video games are built on.

ironcreed

Banned
Interview with Harvey Smith via Kotaku about Dishonored and it's reason for no boss fights:

I love boss battles, but it really depends on the game. This game seems to lend itself rather well to not having the need for them. I am more than fine with that and will appreciate the game for what it is trying to be on it's own merits.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
And internally one of our tenets was no cliche steampunk elements. So no brass and rivets and guys in tin helmets or whatever the fuck. And it's fine if people see it as a very innovative take on steampunk, that's great, we don't mind that, it's just that one of our tenets was avoid this overly familiar—because god, if you're gonna spend X dollars on something and X years of your life, you don't have to do exactly what everybody else has done or what you've seen. You don't have to draw your inspirations from what else is on the shelf.
I'm in love. Oh please if this is even moderately good I'm there day one

I love boss battles, but it really depends on the game. This game seems to lend itself rather well to not having the need for them. I am more than fine with that and will appreciate the game for what it is trying to be on it's own merits.

We are in complete agreement. Boss battles are great when the setting/story calls for it. But when they are shoehorned in like Deus Ex: HR they can break the flow of the game.

ctrayne

Well if I stun someone he doesn't know that I was there ;)

Not quite true; in theory (but maybe not in-game) they would wake up later and wonder why they were knocked out, especially if a whole bunch of guards had that happen to them. Ghosting means you left no trace. :)

Top Bottom