• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Why wouldn't he?

Because he is generally pretty critical.

Though, I'm not surprised in the slightest that he loves this as much as he does.

This has been on some of our GOTY potential lists for a while, it feels pretty good that those feelings are justified. I love that this game seems to be as long or as short as you want it to be. The amount of freedom seems to be very refreshing. We don't get many chances to play a game that gives you logical(in context of the universe) ways to approach a mission.

I am very happy that this is a critically acclaimed as I felt it would be. I'm not surprised. Just pleased to see that this game seems to deliver on most of its promises.

That he has no taste?

I didn't buy MW3 so I can't comment on whether it's good or not. But, on the same hand I have friends that absolutely loved it and would probably rate it the same as Mr. Sterling did. No taste? That's a bullshit comment. Different taste? Yeah, that's more like it.

Granted I dislike the influential stranglehold that CoD has on the FPS genre, doesn't make them bad at all, just not something I like.

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm gonna be a dick here and say if MW3 and the like were your personal GOTY, I'll probably never like that person and even refuse to speak to them.

I pretend they have a contagious disease.

Eusis

Well, I certainly wouldn't trust their opinion on games unless they simply need to actually TRY more outside of that shooter comfort zone.

I'm gonna be a dick here and say if MW3 and the like were your personal GOTY, I'll probably never like that person and even refuse to speak to them.

I pretend they have a contagious disease.

Hahaha, yeah I guess.

Like I said, I haven't played it myself as it seems so cookie cutter that I can't bring myself to play it. But if you have a very multiplayer centric game tendency than I could see how you'd like it. We seem to have relatively the same taste in games, I'd prefer that more games like Dishonored were released as often as CoD was, though I feel that CoD seems to be more of a yearly expansion pack as opposed to a new game and that's why I dislike it.

Long live emergent gameplay!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Jim Sterling is a piece of shit troll, that's why.

http://gamerlimit.com/2012/10/review-dishonored/

Reviewer says the game takes about 6 hours to finish.
He generally backs up his score with valid praise/criticism. Sure, he overreacts sometimes, but he's better than a lot of reviewers out there.

I wouldn't worry about length, too. Here's a blurb from the RPS review.

I still wish Dishonored were longer but I also recognise that it takes a great deal of skill, hard work and time to create something of this quality; to ask for more in terms of content would be to ask for less in so many other ways.

GorillaJu

The comments on that Gamerlimit review are incredible. People talking about masterful mechanics, and once in a generation game despite never having played it, because someone else said what they want to hear while this reviewer disagrees.

I didn't read the review itself, nor am I bothered about a score which many might consider low, I just scrolled to the bottom and the comments made it all worth while.

The Rock Paper Shotgun review was glowing. It sounds wonderful to me, and I'll read the full Edge review after I've played the game.

Tess3ract

Banned
I say he's a troll because he gives games that are very clearly good games, but just because he doesn't like them, he gives them 1/10.

It's not your bag okay. That would be like me reviewing a COD game, I know I'm gonna hate it, so why waste my time?

SJRB

Gold Member
Just watched 5 minutes of some livestream and it definately made me change my opinion from "maybe" to "hell yes".

Guy tried to brute-force his way but got killed, then took the stealth approach and it worked wonderfully. Looked awesome.

Zeliard

Pretty amusing to see to the change in perspectives around here. Dishonored threads used to max out at like 4 pages, and then we had that embarrassing thread not long ago with people calling it an Assassin's Creed/Bioshock rip-off. lol

Just watched 5 minutes of some livestream and it definately made me change my opinion from "maybe" to "hell yes".

Guy tried to brute-force his way but got killed, then took the stealth approach and it worked wonderfully. Looked awesome.

What stream?

derFeef

Pretty amusing to see to the change in perspectives around here. Dishonored threads used to max out at like 4 pages, and then we had that embarrassing thread not long ago with people calling it an Assassin's Creed/Bioshock rip-off. lol

Right? It's awesome, gaf getting teached sometimes.

Tess3ract

Banned
From what I've seen there's no real story to speak of that hasn't already been mentioned in any of the reviews.

Nothing more shown than you'd see in a typical trailer.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Man I'm so glad this is getting good reviews, will give it a go after x-com. Was the GT trailer spoilery?

DocSeuss

Jim Sterling is a piece of shit troll, that's why.

http://gamerlimit.com/2012/10/review-dishonored/

Reviewer says the game takes about 6 hours to finish.

Gonna trust a site I frequent rather than a site I've never heard of, especially when the site I frequent is a lot closer to the developers' expected completion length of ~20 hours ghosting. Polygon said it takes sixteen hours.

Really happy that this is getting such high scores. Kinda sucks that apparently GiantBomb and GameInformer are weighted heavily enough on Metacritic to drag down the game's score into the high-80s. This sounds very much like it's up there with the best of 'em--maybe even better than the Bioshocks and Half-Life 2s of this world.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
From what I've seen there's no real story to speak of that hasn't already been mentioned in any of the reviews.

Nothing more shown than you'd see in a typical trailer.

Bethesda might have prohibited reviewers from spoiling it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Bethesda might have prohibited reviewers from spoiling it.

Interesting, I wonder if the story comes close to being as interesting as say Bioshock this gen. I really wouldn't mind a game like that, wouldn't mind it at all ;)

Do any of the reviews spoil anything major?

Man I'm so glad this is getting good reviews, will give it a go after x-com. Was the GT trailer spoilery?

None of the reviews I've watched are too spoilery.

I've managed to watch the Gametrailers/IGN/ElderGeek/TotalBiscuit WTF?! and none have spoiled anything too much. Granted if you wanted to go in knowing nothing at all, you'll naturally have that spoiled. But if you already know most of the gameplay mechanics they are mostly just the same praise across the board. You could watch one and pretty much have a baseline as to what the other ones were to say.

If you want something to look at like I did, you won't really ruin anything by watching those reviews. They all essentially say the same thing:

-Good Mechanics
-Good Art
-Cool Powers(especially blink)
-Emergent Gameplay

-Poor ending to the story.

That's pretty much all of the reviews in a nutshell.

Strangely no one has commented on the music, which I find strange as the composer Daniel Licht has done some great things in the past. From what I've heard from previews his music sounds great and seems to add quite a bit.

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm pretty sure that as long as your computer is made in the last 5 years you can play dishonred. you don't need windows 7, it's a ue3 game.

sado

Y'know, things break...
My opinion would differ from what others have stated about the reviews not being spoiler. I would have enjoyed not knowing about the impact of the
morality system
. There are a few reviews that practically tell all about it. Just my opinion though.

Guiz

Are there any screenshot comparison between each platform? Except the CVG comparison on youtube.

I don't have a pc big enough to play the game so I'd like to know which console version is the best...

DocSeuss

Are there any screenshot comparison between each platform? Except the CVG comparison on youtube.

I don't have a pc big enough to play the game so I'd like to know which console version is the best...

Educated guess would be that the 360 version is the best, not just because the 360 wins nearly every competition, but because the 360 and Unreal Engine 3 are best buddies.

Eusis

I'm pretty sure that as long as your computer is made in the last 5 years you can play dishonred. you don't need windows 7, it's a ue3 game.
Surprisingly XP is absent from the system requirements on Steam. And they actually are fairly hefty, even for Recommended, and this sounds like a game that's brutal to consoles.

sado

Y'know, things break...
Also, this quote from the PCGamer review scares me a bit in terms of bugs/issues being a part of the review process:

The only thing I can’t vouch for is performance: Bethesda aren’t letting code out of their office at time of writing, so I’ve only played it on a 2.8GHz Core i7 with a 2GB GeForce GTX 670 graphics card.

Guess here's to hoping certain hardware configurations don't have issues on the PC.

Also, this quote from the PCGamer review scares me a bit in terms of bugs/issues being a part of the review process:

Guess here's to hoping certain hardware configurations don't have issues on the PC.

You aren't kidding. I was surprised to see that I ran into some issues that seemed to be relatively exclusive to a GTX 680 with Borderlands 2. I was surprised to see that a 460 was the recommended minimum and maximum for Dishonored. I'd imagine a GTX 9800 would be the min. Though, from the TotalBiscuit WTF?! it seems that this is pretty well optimized.

Are there any benchmarks yet how the game runs on different machines?

No.They can say what they want about how good the PC version is but it seems to be another beast wich doesnt looks better then Sleeping Dogs but just needs the same Hardware.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was the same on the PC. Poorly optimized on PC. But just let this get you down people. I'm sure with a good PC the PC version will run just fine... on low settings.

ekim

No.They can say what they want about how good the PC version is but it seems to be another beast wich doesnt looks better then Sleeping Dogs but just needs the same Hardware.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was the same on the PC. Poorly optimized on PC. But just let this get you down people. I'm sure with a good PC the PC version will run just fine... on low settings.

:-/ My Notebook only has a 540M in it. :eek:

SparkTR

Total Buiscuit had this to say about the PC version:

"I didn't encounter any bugs. If I had I'd have mentioned them. The PC version seems to be rock solid across the board. "

Also the PC version is using textures four times the resolution of the consoles versions, should require beefier hardware.

I think you underestimate the scalability of UE3. My brother managed to get Borderlands 2 running on one of the shittiest laptops I've seen at acceptable frame rates that looked almost as good as the console version.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Total Buiscuit had this to say about the PC version:

"I didn't encounter any bugs. If I had I'd have mentioned them. The PC version seems to be rock solid across the board. "

Also the PC version is using textures four times the resolution of the consoles versions, should require beefier hardware.

I guess you can set textures to console quality.

SparkTR

Please, we're talking about an UE3 game here, not Metro Last Light. I guarantee you a mid range PC will able to max it out, and lower end laptops will be able to run it at console quality settings.

I think you underestimate the scalability of UE3. My brother managed to get Borderlands 2 running on one of the shittiest laptops I've seen at acceptable frame rates that looked almost as good as the console version.

Yeah but the Crash-to-the-desktop-because-you-dont-have-WindowsVista/7 is a major problem for me.

Top Bottom