• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Yeah but the Crash-to-the-desktop-because-you-dont-have-WindowsVista/7 is a major problem for me.

I won't comment on your reasons for still sticking with XP, but it's use just isn't as valid anymore now that W7 is out and is a great OS.

But, if you don't want to change to W7 I can see your reluctance to get this for the PC, but I find it odd to say that this must be poorly optimized if it's not designed around the mechanics of such an old OS.

Does the PC version of this game feature anything similar to the Texture Pack that Sleeping Dogs was released with? I dig the art in this game but the textures look really assy.

Eusis

Doesn't buying the upgrade to Windows 8 give you the license to use Windows 7 too? I'd grab that when available for a cheap upgrade.

SparkTR

Yeah but the Crash-to-the-desktop-because-you-dont-have-WindowsVista/7 is a major problem for me.

If you're complaining that modern games don't run well on XP you may as well complain that your OG Xbox doesn't play 360 games. It's 11 years old at this point, time to move on.

Does the PC version of this game feature anything similar to the Texture Pack that Sleeping Dogs was released with? I dig the art in this game but the textures look really assy.

It comes with higher resolution textures by default, four times higher according to the developers.

Yes.

I've read that it releases with textures 4X the resolution of it's console brethren. If you have the choice I'd suggest you'd get it for the PC, you have all the benefits of console, but with better graphics and frame rates.

eidt: I can't believe I got beat by 20 seconds or so. First time it's happened to me. Good for you SparkTR!

Tess3ract

Banned
Surprisingly XP is absent from the system requirements on Steam. And they actually are fairly hefty, even for Recommended, and this sounds like a game that's brutal to consoles.
The card it mentions is a 460 768mb version. Pretty much a 4890 on the amd side. That shit is getting old now. That's the card I upgraded to from an 8800gts.

If you're still using an 8800 or worse, you might as well get the console version.

Yes.

I've read that it releases with textures 4X the resolution of it's console brethren. If you have the choice I'd suggest you'd get it for the PC, you have all the benefits of console, but with better graphics and frame rates.
Oh, I never had any intention of buying this for consoles, or any game where I'm given the option. I was just hoping they put some effort into the PC version is all, glad to know this appears to be the case.

The card it mentions is a 460 768mb version. Pretty much a 4890 on the amd side. That shit is getting old now. That's the card I upgraded to from an 8800gts.

Me too. For it's time, twas a damn good card too. I was honestly surprised to see that that was the minimum for this game. Now I bet you could probably get it running on lesser hardware even if it's not officially supported. But, again, I was surprised.

diamount

Banned
Total Buiscuit had this to say about the PC version:

"I didn't encounter any bugs. If I had I'd have mentioned them. The PC version seems to be rock solid across the board. "

Also the PC version is using textures four times the resolution of the consoles versions, should require beefier hardware.

Not to mention he said he was running the game at 100 or so fps on a 680.

Oh, I never had any intention of buying this for consoles, or any game where I'm given the option. I was just hoping they put some effort into the PC version is all, glad to know this appears to be the case.

Good to hear. It does appear to be the case. Hell, I'll sell you a GTX 460 for cheap if you are running on super low end hardware.

No i dont complain about Windows 7. But such high requirements are one fact about it being poorly optimized.

Im gonna upgrade to Windows 7... but i dont have any money for that to do it now. If i want to play a game i dont wanna pay 500€ for Ram,CPU and OS.

Eusis

OS can't be avoided, but you could wait and see how others are handling sub-optimal equipment, because the fact the requirements AND recommendations are the same seems odd. Nevermind that since it CAN run on consoles you'd think it'd at least be OK on a 8800 GT at about 720p.
Urge to buy rising...
Feels like 2009 and Arkham Asylum coming out of nowhere.
Well, this is from a developer with a solid (but not amazing) pedigree, and sounded pretty good if you seriously paid attention. Arkham Asylum was from a fairly unknown developer and a licensed game to boot, so there was A LOT of crow to be eaten when that exec/PR guy saying "I expect this to get 9s" was actually right.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm still trucking with my HD5850, but it's getting a tad long in the tooth and I'd also rather go back to an nvidia card too. How does the 460 is similar in terms of power, no?

I think the 460 is slower than a 5850 and the 460 ti performs on par.

No i dont complain about Windows 7. But such high requirements are one fact about it being poorly optimized.

Im gonna upgrade to Windows 7... but i dont have any money for that. If i want to play a game i dont wanna pay 500€ for Ram,CPU and OS.

Now I'm coming from Win7 so my POV is obviously different than yours, but I'd prefer that this be optimized for Win7/Vista and not try and expand it's scope and make it less better across the board by trying to add an older OS that really doesn't have much benefit anymore.

If you haven't upgraded in quite a while though, you are severely limiting what you can play these days. I'd say go 360 if you have the choice as opposed to a less than optimal PC experience so that you aren't dealing with a less than optimal gameplay.

edit:
I'm still trucking with my HD5850, but it's getting a tad long in the tooth and I'd also rather go back to an nvidia card too. How does the 460 is similar in terms of power, no?

I can't comment on a radeon card as I've always stuck with nVidia, but before I put my 460 in the closet after my upgrade I loved it. The card is great as far as value is concerned and nVidia has great driver support which is constantly evolving. Though as I said earlier, I don't really know how it holds up against a HD5850

DishonoredInfluences.png
Seems to be a pretty accurate comparison.

Just out of curiosity: was this game developed in France or in the USA, Austin based studio? Or both?

Good question. I know Harvey Smith is from the Texas area. But, Arkane is based out of France. I'd imagine(which is a total guess) that they primarily focused their efforts out of the French based studio with support from the Texas based one. Though, that is me 100% postulating a guess.

edit:

It seems subservus confirms my guess.

Mine has yet to be sent, though it's nice to hear that they are sending them. Hopefully I can go to sleep and wake up and have the keys in my inbox.

It's funny as I was just looking on their forums and everyone was complaining about not having their keys as of a few days ago and I almost jumped on the bandwagon. Not worried at all, as saving money is def. more important than playing first.

Sooon!

Long live emergent gameplay!

pa22word

I preordered mine a month or two ago so that means I'll get mine last thanks to GMG's backwards delivery system.

Dammit, I preordered mine over three weeks ago. Bleh, can't complain at the price I paid I guess =\

Definitely makes me want to cancel my Hitman Absolution Preorder and wait for a more recent sale, though...

Just completed the game. Pretty good. I'm a bit puzzled by all the reviews regarding it so highly. Don't get me wrong, the open idea of multiple ways to play is much appreciated. There is definitely some poor textures, and glitches. Things clipped a lot and sometimes AI would be alerted to me when I wasn't doing anything wrong. (360 version) Story was solid but not in your face. Ending was anticlimactic. Fun game, but I think some of you will end up a tad disappointed after all the hype and high scores it's receiving. Will see. Took me about 8-9 hours with some side stuff being done. I refused to read all the books... wayyy to many.

Zia

I somehow just found out that Austin Grossman wrote this. It's going to be a long wait until tomorrow...

zinder

Does anyone in Europe know a place to buy the game where you are able to play midnight tonight US time? I can't stand waiting until friday for it to be released here... I will just end up pirating the game, which I don't want to do against Arkane.

so is there any color in this game? all these reviews mention a beautiful world, IGN calling it like a painting yet there seems a distinct lack of color in the game. It looks...grey. I mean they can justify that with the bleak setting and story...

Just completed the game. Pretty good. I'm a bit puzzled by all the reviews regarding it so highly. Don't get me wrong, the open idea of multiple ways to play is much appreciated. There is definitely some poor textures, and glitches. Things clipped a lot and sometimes AI would be alerted to me when I wasn't doing anything wrong. (360 version) Story was solid but not in your face. Ending was anticlimactic. Fun game, but I think some of you will end up a tad disappointed after all the hype and high scores it's receiving. Will see. Took me about 8-9 hours with some side stuff being done. I refused to read all the books... wayyy to many.

Did you play the stealth route? I am concerned about glitchy stealth mechanics when thats they way I'd like to play the game. A review mentioned the no kill route gives a far better ending.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

How did you approach the game? Stealthy or lethal? Do you think you rushed through a bit, or is that mostly likely going to be the average length for most gamers?

Did you play the stealth route? I am concerned about glitchy stealth mechanics when thats they way I'd like to play the game. A review mentioned the no kill route gives a far better ending.

I did stealth for a bit but at the end of the game I had too many moments where I panic and killed anything. The game has this tendency if you alert one enemy somehow all the enemies in a general vicinity just swarm you. Which I think is a bit bullshit especially when the guy you alert is killed right away and he has no time to hit and alarm or anything. Probably my biggest issue with the game.

How did you approach the game? Stealthy or lethal? Do you think you rushed through a bit, or is that mostly likely going to be the average length for most gamers?

Honestly I rushed the last two levels a missions but the last level felt extremely short anyways. If you absolutely comb over all the maps and read all the books and trying to do all the side quest I can see it lasting maybe 15, 20 hours, though I see a lot of people having around a general 8 -12 hour experience imo. Will be interesting to see what people get out of it.

ekim

I did stealth for a bit but at the end of the game I had too many moments where I panic and killed anything. The game has this tendency if you alert one enemy somehow all the enemies in a general vicinity just swarm you. Which I think is a bit bullshit especially when the guy you alert is killed right away and he has no time to hit and alarm or anything. Probably my biggest issue with the game.

I saw some preview videos where you gun someone and people in the next room won't be alerted by the noise or someone flew off a window straight through the field of view of another guard on a balcony and he stood there idle as well. Is this still the case?

Mikeside

Does anyone in Europe know a place to buy the game where you are able to play midnight tonight US time? I can't stand waiting until friday for it to be released here... I will just end up pirating the game, which I don't want to do against Arkane.

It's always sad to see them make such basic mistakes.

derFeef

so is there any color in this game? all these reviews mention a beautiful world, IGN calling it like a painting yet there seems a distinct lack of color in the game. It looks...grey. I mean they can justify that with the bleak setting and story...

Huh, there is plenty.

Top Bottom