• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Eusis

maybe it's because Valve gives a shit, and Sony doesn't.
Admittedly Valve's business is purely A. making games, and B. running a digital store front. For Sony a digital store front's a smaller portion of their business, though it should be treated better than it currently is.

Jack_AG

Banned
Never buying another Day 1 from PSN until they do preloads/midnight releases.

I'm quite sure the game is already on the servers waiting for download but they can't get one labrat to click a mouse at midnight to update the store. It is 2012 right? What we are asking is not within the realm of impossibility.

ironcreed

Banned
For those asking about midnight on PSN here is Jeff Rubenstein's answer to someone on twitter.

Sucks I will not be playing the game until late tomorrow night after downloading and installing, but what can you do? It's paid for and a done deal. At least it is still on release day.

Mechazawa

So I used the VPN trick. I only got an hour early, but whatever.

Surprise, surprise: the game runs really well. I'm on a 4870 and X4 955 and I have everything maxed out with MLAA on. I had to kick down my resolution because I can't stand screen tearing and for some reason, I can never get Triple Buffering to work on unreal engine 3 games, but if I could, I could run with this at 1080p no problem.

Pretty happy with the port so far.

SparkTR

Surprise, surprise: the game runs really well. I'm on a 4870 and X4 955 and I have everything maxed out with MLAA on. I had to kick down my resolution because I can't stand screen tearing and for some reason, I can never get Triple Buffering to work on unreal engine 3 games, but if I could, I could run with this at 1080p no problem.

What region is the game already released?

Awesome, that's really good to hear.

France.

I'm loving this game, perfect blend of Thieft, Deus Ex and some Bioshock.

Yup, though I'm getting a lot of Thief here.

The feel of moving Corvo around, and countering attacks when necessary is amazing. Non-lethal is fun, and keeps you on your toes. On Hard especially, if you're not very aware of your surroundings you'll get spotted easily. This game is a true blessing!!

Kard8p3

Well, I'm a little pissed now. I ordered the game on Amazon, and it said it would be here Wednesday, that was with 2 day shipping. I change it to 1 day, and now it says it'll be here the 11th. WTF? I'm afraid to change it back to 2 day shipping for fear it'll push it to the 12th now..

Ugh, can't believe this, definitely think I'll just be buying new games in person from now on :|

Yup, though I'm getting a lot of Thief here.

The feel of moving Corvo around, and countering attacks when necessary is amazing. Non-lethal is fun, and keeps you on your toes. On Hard especially, if you're not very aware of your surroundings you'll get spotted easily. This game is a true blessing!!

I love blinking around, looking for runes and those bone amulets. Also the way the game handles sidequests is just genius.

The art... man.

(Sorry about compresion, imgur)

F1hgH.jpg

Psi

Well, I'm a little pissed now. I ordered the game on Amazon, and it said it would be here Wednesday, that was with 2 day shipping. I change it to 1 day, and now it says it'll be here the 11th. WTF? I'm afraid to change it back to 2 day shipping for fear it'll push it to the 12th now..

Ugh, can't believe this, definitely think I'll just be buying new games in person from now on :|

Amazon likes to "reset" orders if you change anything. I had something similar happen to me a while back with something else when I changed my payment method. Basically don't mess with a preorder anywhere near release.

vazel

Banned
The objective markers are a joke. The missions seem linearly designed from what I've played so I don't see why we need markers pointing our way. I'm glad the game lets you turn them off. I restarted my playthrough on very hard with all HUD options turned off this time.

I love blinking around, looking for runes and those bone amulets. Also the way the game handles sidequests is just genius.

The art... man.

(Sorry about compresion, imgur)

The objective markers are a joke. The missions seem linearly designed from what I've played so I don't see why we need markers pointing our way. I'm glad the game lets you turn them off. I restarted my playthrough on very hard with all HUD options turned off this time.

Yea I'm not that far yet, but looking forward to it.

I'm glad I turned them off from the get-go. I see no reason at all to have them on. I've got my cross hair on and that's it. Other than contextual things like loot screen, awareness, etc...

Is anyone playing it on PC early having issues with settings resetting after restarting the game? It's somewhat annoying as I have to go through it every time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm really, really very terrible at this, or the AI is really very, very perceptive.

burgerdog

Weird, steam froze while attempting to close the program and then immediately froze again upon starting up. This has never happened before.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So you are impressed with the AI? good to hear indeed.

All I can see is that if you're my skill level (probably fair shit at stealth) and plan to do a non-lethal minimal alerts playthrough, get ready to do an absolute ton of save/loading.

Note that save/loading will only go so far. Enemies have pre-determined patrol points, but the pattern they move in is not the same. Meaning when you load, the AI could move in a different order to the last time you watched them. Screwing your planning.

Adapt or perish, I guess. For what it's worth, I'm playing on hard. There's also very hard.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
All I can see is that if you're my skill level (probably fair shit at stealth) and plan to do a non-lethal minimal alerts playthrough, get ready to do an absolute ton of save/loading.

Note that save/loading will only go so far. Enemies have pre-determined patrol points, but the pattern they move in is not the same. Meaning when you load, the AI could move in a different order to the last time you watched them. Screwing your planning.

Adapt or perish, I guess. For what it's worth, I'm playing on hard. There's also very hard.

That sounds great actually!

EatChildren

That sounds great actually!

I admit, it is. I just don't want to have to drop the difficulty :(.

Also, graphics are great. Technically pretty bland. Texture resolution is a very mixed bag (some low res environment textures, some high, great character models, etc), but the art itself is gorgeous. Strong identity and very cohesive.

EDIT: Oh, and you absolutely positively will be using the peaking mechanic if you're playing stealth. It lets you see around corners without triggering the AI. It's not very realistic, but it's a solid mechanic, and I can't see how stealth will be playable without it.

Top Bottom