• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

I admit, it is. I just don't want to have to drop the difficulty :(.

Also, graphics are great. Technically pretty bland. Texture resolution is a very mixed bag (some low res environment textures, some high, great character models, etc), but the art itself is gorgeous. Strong identity and very cohesive.

Excellent, that is all I care about.

ironcreed

Banned
All I can see is that if you're my skill level (probably fair shit at stealth) and plan to do a non-lethal minimal alerts playthrough, get ready to do an absolute ton of save/loading.

Note that save/loading will only go so far. Enemies have pre-determined patrol points, but the pattern they move in is not the same. Meaning when you load, the AI could move in a different order to the last time you watched them. Screwing your planning.

Adapt or perish, I guess. For what it's worth, I'm playing on hard. There's also very hard.

That sounds very impressive. Glad they change their patterns in order to keep us ultra careful and observant. Thank you for the impressions.

TheExodu5

Banned
MLAA definitely looks a lot better than FXAA to me. Maybe not as good in screenshots, but it's a lot less blurry, and the temporal aliasing isn't nearly as bad.

Might try the SMAA injector though.

Been for an hour or so I think. Started on Very Hard with objective markers and alert markers off. Pretty linear so far (at the beginning) but I know later maps open up, seems like a tutorial area. I like the switch in the way you hold your blade depending on if you are in stealth(crouch) mode, lets you turn that HUD object off. Between that and the contextual HUD your HUD-less a lot of the time. You can even turn off object interaction prompts I believe.

Great atmosphere and the art is stellar. Texture quality is definitely all over the place though.

burgerdog

Dishonored download completely fucked up my steam. Freezes when I launch the program, stays frozen for about five minutes and then closes.

Didn't realize this is out like, now, pre-ordered like an hour ago after trying to avoid the hype till a sale :lol. Download download download!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I admit, it is. I just don't want to have to drop the difficulty :(.

Also, graphics are great. Technically pretty bland. Texture resolution is a very mixed bag (some low res environment textures, some high, great character models, etc), but the art itself is gorgeous. Strong identity and very cohesive.

EDIT: Oh, and you absolutely positively will be using the peaking mechanic if you're playing stealth. It lets you see around corners without triggering the AI. It's not very realistic, but it's a solid mechanic, and I can't see how stealth will be playable without it.

So actual difficult sneaking that requires thinking and planning ahead? In this generation? Is this real life?

And true assassins don't drop difficulty levels. :p

Played a few minutes. I'm liking the feel of movement.

Edit: Just occurred to me, would kills in the intro sequence count against a non-lethal run?

Derrick01

Banned
Immediate reactions....this game definitely does not have high res textures on release like they said it would. They are baaaaaad :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Aw, I thought MLAA would do the trick. SMAA injector it is.

Honestly, MLAA is very, very close to SMAA. SMAA is just a smidgen better (at least on Ultra). Both together actually work pretty well also. Some things definitely look better with both on... not sure if some things may look worse though.

Mechazawa

YO EAT CHILDREN. Or anyone else, I guess. In the sewers,

where the whiskey bottle with the code to the safe at. I can't find it anywhere.

I having been keeping up with the details of this game due to lack of internet at home, but this thread + the reviews thread has me ready to pull the trigger!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
YO EAT CHILDREN. Or anyone else, I guess. In the sewers,

where the whiskey bottle with the code to the safe at. I can't find it anywhere.

If you're talking about near the beginning
just behind the safe is a row of empty bottles on a cabinet thing, throw some of the bottles, the code is written behind them in white chalk

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay. Played around will the graphics options. (MLAA looks best as mentioned)

My initial challenge is as follows:

Very Hard, Objective Markers off, no crosshair. I expect brutal death and a constant test of the degree of my skill. Anybody want to join me? Dunno how it will work out (will certainly save often).

Game looks and sounds great. If you've never done it, the immersion of having no crosshair is pretty extreme, and changes things more than you might expect. Although if you are prone to motion sickness, I recommend the "simple" option rather than no crosshair. I also put all the UI items on contextual as possible; a huge portion of the actual gameplay experience will be HUDless. I did this with Half-Life 2 (HIGHLY recommended btw; the suit's vocal warnings about your health are now incredibly important for one thing)- and this game's use of contextual controls make it easy to follow.

Derrick01

Banned
Textures are pretty low res; art style makes it basically not matter at all.

Agreed it's a cool looking game. I was just saying how they promised high res textures would be in the PC version on release and if it is then I fear for how bad they are on consoles.

I managed to die before talking to the Emperess. How refreshing! :D

Same. Right after you first get control there's a balcony on the immediate right with a guard and for some reason I jumped off. I had an arrested development "I don't know what I was expecting" moment.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Agreed it's a cool looking game. I was just saying how they promised high res textures would be in the PC version on release and if it is then I fear for how bad they are on consoles.
Gotcha, either way, as somebody who hadn't heard anything about it, the game looks awesome. More important than any degree of technical proficiency is that the game looks memorable. You will realize that this game does within two or three minutes.

jet1911

Same. Right after the beginning there's a balcony on the immediate right with a guard and for some reason I jumped off. I had an arrested development "I don't know what I was expecting" moment.

It's a great way to know how restrictive a game will be. No invisible walls? Yay!

Aspiring

I'm so pumped for this game but just wondering has people shipped from amazon yet or at least changed status? Mine still sits at not yet shipped and I want it now : (

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
WELCOME TO CITY SEVENTEEN

Viktor Antonov sure has a distinguishable style.

Salsa

gamersgate still hasnt given me my key. I think I might have to wait till European release date

im dying

im dead I swear

Varna

I like the style... reminds me a little of Team Fortress 2? SMAA works great for this game.

EDIT: actually, nevermind SMAA is making the way far to bright.

neoism

Had some launch problems but wasn't too bad... start at a res my TV didn't support... alt+enter FTW....
This game looks amazing I really looove the graphics. game play is amazing stealth... just at the beginning still but definitely a game I'll love... it has and bioshock+half Life feel to me... I had to alt-tab to right this and the game broke had to restart no other problems but them...
I'm playing Hard with everything off... going no alarm no kill first time through... hudoff on controller type D lol I will definitely have to fix that... shame you can't customize them completely...

otherwise 45 well spent with less than an hour played.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like the style... reminds me a little of Team Fortress 2? SMAA works great for this game.

It's like the exaggeration, characterised proportions of Team Fortress 2 under Half-Life 2's art direction, with a twist of Victorian steampunk.

The PC graphics whore in my has no qualms with the mixed textures and general low tech look of the game. The art is simply gorgeous. So many little details. Just as with Half-Life 2, there's bit and pieces to the environment and rooms that tell their own little stories. Not surprising from Viktor Antonov.

pyrandes

There's a connection...?

*Googles*

Oh...

What am I in for here.

you're in for lots of awesome.

--------------------------------------------

started minorly today, played with some settings (clicking off a lot of guiding functions--will prob turn off x-hairs tomorrow), set difficulty to hard, and proceeded to walk thru the first level, going as stealthy as i could.

then i restarted the level and am now gonna ghost my way thru it. feels much more satisfying trying for that type of run.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's like the exaggeration, characterised proportions of Team Fortress 2 under Half-Life 2's art direction, with a twist of Victorian steampunk.

The PC graphics whore in my has no qualms with the mixed textures and general low tech look of the game. The art is simply gorgeous. So many little details. Just as with Half-Life 2, there's bit and pieces to the environment and rooms that tell their own little stories. Not surprising from Viktor Antonov.

I was going to say "more and more this reminds me of Half-Life 2." You saved me some embarrassment sir.

neoism

Yup, though I'm getting a lot of Thief here.

The feel of moving Corvo around, and countering attacks when necessary is amazing. Non-lethal is fun, and keeps you on your toes. On Hard especially, if you're not very aware of your surroundings you'll get spotted easily. This game is a true blessing!!

lol I'm should play thief after this.....

Beepos

Wow just watched some videos and the swordplay/offhand combat looks awesome. Shame I have no patience for stealth games anymore. I imagine the game would be over quite fast if I just rambo my way through and kill everything.

Need a FPS action game with the same kind of combat.

stupei

Okay, I have a really stupid question: in the tutorial area there's a bit where you do a running slide, but I'm not seeing it in the controls. It's the same button as what else?

edit: Never mind, I guess it's the sneak button.

I handed the controller off to my friend who asked me how and I abruptly drew a blank in the midst of her attempting to make a get away. Oops?

Top Bottom