• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The AI is so fucking dumb, it's not even funny anymore.

Not sure what people are smoking when they say shit like "The enemies are very smart"

I really enjoy the game but the AI is definitely not good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Not sure what people are smoking when they say shit like "The enemies are very smart"

I'm very bad at not being caught :(.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I just finished the first real mission, and even playing on Hard and going a completely non-fatal route, the game really is a bit too easy. The AI is idiotic and extremely easy to exploit. Not only that, but they can't see for shit and even if they notice you a bit, they give up their investigation way too quickly.

I'm still really having fun, but there's just no challenge here in terms of stealth, I may switch to a guns blazing play style to see how it goes. It will also give me a chance to use all of these tools and weapons.

Also, while I think Blink is awesome, I think it definitely makes things way too easy.

what difficulty are you playing it on? I'm with Eatchildren, I'm always getting busted and then subsequently mobbed by 5-6 soldiers and then a start from last save screen. I am playing through really aggressively on normal.

Valravn

This game is awesome. It started to ooze the same kind of atmosphere i felt in Thief 2: The Metal Age. I started all over yesterday evening. Im going for a Ghost playthrough and i will not kill any guards, only the targets.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
what difficulty are you playing it on? I'm with Eatchildren, I'm always getting busted and then subsequently mobbed by 5-6 soldiers and then a start from last save screen. I am playing through really aggressively on normal.

I'm playing on hard.

Do higher difficulty levels really make the enemy AI smarter? If so i might change to very hard.

I just finished the first real mission, and even playing on Hard and going a completely non-fatal route, the game really is a bit too easy. The AI is idiotic and extremely easy to exploit. Not only that, but they can't see for shit and even if they notice you a bit, they give up their investigation way too quickly.

I'm still really having fun, but there's just no challenge here in terms of stealth, I may switch to a guns blazing play style to see how it goes. It will also give me a chance to use all of these tools and weapons.

Also, while I think Blink is awesome, I think it definitely makes things way too easy.

Agreed.

Pat

I just finished the game. Didn't take long and I recovered almost everything (on Normal, don't throw rocks at me). It was quite easy actually and I only used blink and my sword.

Gameplay is fantastic. I really liked the small sandbox missions, it gives you a lot of possibilities to achieve your goals. Nice story, too. The beginning is lame, but there's a nice turn over mid-game.

Turns out I suck at being stealth. Lol.

I think once I beat it the first time and get the hang of the game(I don't really play games like this, no Assassin's Creed etc) I will try for a no kill run.

IMHO blink is one of the best things that could happen to stealth games. It takes away the necessity for slow paced movement, allowing you to work the game from more of a birds eye view that leaves a lot more to strategy than to execution. Mastering it makes you feel like an effin badass and it gives the game an edge that other stealth games just dont have. I can honestly say that I wouldnt be even near this interested in the game if it was just regular slow-paced stealth. Why make that when you can innovate and try something different?

Having not played the game yet, from what I've seen of blink as a concept, it works in many ways like an idea I've had in my head for a long time. I've always thought stealth games should've evolved to have some kind of "burst of stealth" from one hidden area to the next that encourages observation, fast movement, and spontaneous plans of attack. Sort of like Batman in the Arkham games grappling above enemies, but combined with the "point and click" cover system from Splinter Cell Conviction. Blink is like super powered version of that and something stealth games, first person ones especially, have needed for a long time. I'd also agree that it allows for better designed levels, and a more sandbox style of play. Here's hoping the concept gets used elsewhere.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Help in First Mission (Campbell)
Where is his secret room? I get that it's behind a statue, and I can see into it from the little tunnel area...

MormaPope

Banned
Help in First Mission (Campbell)
Where is his secret room? I get that it's behind a statue, and I can see into it from the little tunnel area...

From the front entrance of the building go the right staircase and near the start of the staircase to the left there will be a door and a stairwell that leads to the basement. You'll see a face statue thing with a green eye, toggle/activate the green eye and you're in.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
From the front entrance of the building go the right staircase and near the start of the staircase to the left there will be a door and a stairwell that leads to the basement. You'll see a face statue thing with a green eye, toggle/activate the green eye and you're in.
Thanks. Thought that just lead to the
kennels.

Really annoying glitch.

Basically, I did the second part of the optional objective in mission 2 FIRST and now I can't talk to Slackjaw and progress at all with this sidequest. So I miss out on a bone charm I guess. :/

Fabrik

Banned
Bought! Played through the tutorial section last night. The art direction, the pastel colors and the character designs are all amazing. The world is really interesting to explore. The controls are spot-on (love the slide). The voice acting is very good. I already love the Heart. Very cool idea. Can't wait to play more!

Metal B

IMHO blink is one of the best things that could happen to stealth games. It takes away the necessity for slow paced movement, allowing you to work the game from more of a birds eye view that leaves a lot more to strategy than to execution. Mastering it makes you feel like an effin badass and it gives the game an edge that other stealth games just dont have. I can honestly say that I wouldnt be even near this interested in the game if it was just regular slow-paced stealth. Why make that when you can innovate and try something different?
Because it feels much more realistic, limited and clever without it. I love the slow-paced-part of stealth-games, especially if the designers create a gameworld, which make it fun to explore. Sometimes making things easier for the player downgrades the experience. There is a danger of overdesign in games.

Mikeside

So I finally put XCOM down to give this a go last night.
Really enjoyable - I'm only on the first proper mission after you get blink, but I'm trying to go unseen/no-kills & I'm having a blast. The world looks gorgeous, I'm enjoying reading all of the books & listening to everything the heart says.

I'm not even getting annoyed when I fuck up, because I get to have a blast and mess around with sword/blink combat for a bit - the combat animations really make it stand out.

I've got 5 days off starting tomorrow and it's going to be INCREDIBLY hard to tear myself away from this and XCOM :D

jgminto

Because it feels much more realistic, limited and clever without it. I love the slow-paced-part of stealth-games, especially if the designers create a gameworld, which make it fun to explore. Sometimes making things easier for the player downgrades the experience. There is a danger of overdesign in games.

I don't think the pure stealth on its own is good enough for that. For a stealth game the AI, even on Very Hard is simple compared to other series. But with Blink and the other abilities, the player is able to do what they would normally but at a much faster pace which I feel makes the game more engaging in spite of its simple AI.

Salsa

Because it feels much more realistic, limited and clever without it.

man.. it really doesnt. We agree to disagree. You have tons of first person stealth games with no extra magic if you wanna go for that, I much rather have something original

vazel

Banned
What the hell, I got the manipulator achievement in the Lady Boyle mission even though I did no such thing. This better not count against the Clean Hands achievement. The results screen didn't say I killed anyone.

Om1KY.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
man.. it really doesnt. We agree to disagree. You have tons of first person stealth games with no extra magic if you wanna go for that, I much rather have something original
Oh, it definitely feels more realistic and limited. I don't know about cleverer.

Metal B

I don't think the pure stealth on its own is good enough for that. For a stealth game the AI, even on Very Hard is simple compared to other series. But with Blink and the other abilities, the player is able to do what they would normally but at a much faster pace which I feel makes the game more engaging in spite of its simple AI.
I didn't play the game yet and you are properly right, that it fits this overall fast-pace game. But people before seen to praise the feature as an ultimate need for any future stealth game, even so being slow-paced is the actual beauty about stealth games. Especially since there aren't a lot of true stealth games around anyhow.

Dennis

Banned
I am still on the first proper mission and with my slow playing style I imagine that I will get at least 30 hours out of this if it continues to hold my interest.

Very solid experience - 8-9 out of 10 game so far - but there are definitely some things that could have been better.

Number one is the graphics. The style is fine but the low quality of textures is so bad that it actually breaks immersion. Graphics matter a lot for how involving the game feels.

Secondly, the static nature of the gameworld and objects. Why not let me smash lights to make an area more dark and me harder to spot?.

Third, game areas way to small and crammed. Yes, I do know that this game did not have the budget nor man-power of Assassins Creed 3.

Metal B

you can have my Blink when you pry it from my lifeless fingers.

Just don't use it!

But the designer build the game with the feature in mind and it is one of the basic feature, isn't it?

One point, which really made think about buying the game (besides the simple KI), was when i saw some video of Dishonored's stealth and the player was making no noise, while walking over a stone floor and sneaking on to an enemy. I played Thief at this time and it made my hair stand on. An feature like Blink seen to ignore the environment and all the little details, which could reveal your presence. Like it said, for me stealth is about the details and the environment, all things which only work with slow-paced gameplay. I have no problem of Dishonored being different, but seeing it as the ultimate key to making stealth games "better" sounds wrong for me. Easier playable and marketable would be a much better word for it.

Ferrio

Banned

Agreed. I don't really feel like I accomplished any great feat. Swear sometimes I'm in plain sight and they ignore me. As stealth games go, I'm not impressed and it doesn't elevate itself above the rest of the stealth games this generation.

Really feels like they took bioshock and deus ex human revolution and smashed it together with mediocre results. The game is entertaining (though not sure how long that'll last for me), but way too overhyped. If the stealth aspects don't warm up to me, I'm just going to go guns a blazing. Rather use interesting kill mechanics, than plod through a half baked stealth game.

Salsa

One point, which really made think about buying the game (besides the simple KI), was when i saw some video of Dishonored's stealth and the player was making no noise, while walking over a stone floor and sneaking on to an enemy. I played Thief at this time and it made my hair stand on. An feature like Blink seen to ignore the environment and all the little details, which could reveal your presence. Like it said, for me stealth is about the details and the environment, all things which only work with slow-paced gameplay. I have no problem of Dishonored being different, but seeing it as the ultimate key to making stealth games "better" sounds wrong for me. Easier playable and marketable would be a much better word for it.

I didnt meant that stealth game needed this in the sense of making them better, but in the sense of making them different. You really dont get a lot of variety in these games except for maybe 1 minor feature. Blink is only one of the things this game does different and it heavily alters the genre

Just beat the game again on very hard with no kills. It was super fun. Only 2 missions I didn't ghost. I think I'll go replay those tomorrow. Kind of annoyed that my no kill achievement didn't pop up though(Steam) but what can you do? I was playing for the experience regardless. I'm gonna wrap up those 2 missions again for ghost and then I'm gonna do a replay of it again on Very Hard but with Blonk being the only power I use. Does anyone know for the achievement if upgrading Blink to level 2 counts against the achievement? I know it says not to purchase another power, but seeing as you already have it, I wonder if it counts against you if you upgrade it?!

Really adore this game. I have a good grasp on the mechanics and feel like such a bad ass.

jgminto

I didn't play the game yet and you are properly right, that it fits this overall fast-pace game. But people before seen to praise the feature as an ultimate need for any future stealth game, even so being slow-paced is the actual beauty about stealth games. Especially since there aren't a lot of true stealth games around anyhow.

I don't really think it's a need for stealth games, more so exploration-based games like this and Deus Ex, especially with a first person perspective. The major benefit of blink in Dishonored isn't stealth based, it's how it makes exploring the environment so much easier and more fun. Aside for the select few games, platforming in FPS has always been finicky. Blink makes moving around the environment, from streets to balconies to rooftops, almost perfect.

If a new stealthy Splinter Cell was coming out, I wouldn't want blink in it, as it isn't needed, but a new Deus Ex? Hell yeah.

Metal B

I didnt meant that stealth game needed this in the sense of making them better, but in the sense of making them different. You really dont get a lot of variety in these games except for maybe 1 minor feature. Blink is only one of the things this game does different and it heavily alters the genre

Well, if all stealth games had Blink, they would not be different anymore. =P
There aren't a lot of stealth games and the genre has the possibly of differentiate its games with a lot of different features. The Blink Feature is just one of them.

I personally would love a game, where you actual are invisible even in light. But your enemies know that you are invisible and well react to all strange details. Since your still an physic body, people can ran into you and you make sound even with basic task. Not to forget, that stuff you manipulate or carry are not invisible. That would be a a great game about details and it only needs small environments to be engaging.

ekim

End of Mission 1:

Who else did this? I hope there are more opportunities for "interrogation." Didn't even need him to be conscious. Now for the brand...
: http://i.minus.com/ibsGief13swEEE.png

You can interrogate him? Wow. I just poisened his drink and while they discussed I fished the brand thingy, got back to the ledge, waited for the guards to search for me, grabbed the diary and escaped over the roofs
:eek:

Metal B

I don't really think it's a need for stealth games, more so exploration-based games like this and Deus Ex, especially with a first person perspective. The major benefit of blink in Dishonored isn't stealth based, it's how it makes exploring the environment so much easier and more fun. Aside for the select few games, platforming in FPS has always been finicky. Blink makes moving around the environment, from streets to balconies to rooftops, almost perfect.

If a new stealthy Splinter Cell was coming out, I wouldn't want blink in it, as it isn't needed, but a new Deus Ex? Hell yeah.

I have to disagree with you on Deus Ex. Deus Ex is a lot about world building in the details and. since it is cyper punk, the games would want you to take the route, which would tell you the most about his world. An interesting environment is about more, then simple the places you have the go to advance the mission.

Let's say you have to go on a rooftop on one building to enter another building. In Dishonored you properly would jump with Blink to the top. This is fast-spaced and tries to focus you to finish your mission. A game like Deus Ex would you give the option to enter the building. Here would find many doors to open, to get more loot, sidequest or information of the people of this game world living in a place like this. Properly the door to the roof is closed and you have to talk to the janitor. While encounter him you have the option to trick him into giving you the key, stealing it or simply kill him for it. There are different priorities for different games and they all have there features to support them. This is why a feature like Blink is not suited for all games like this.

Top Bottom