• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall |OT| It's straight up Daud time

Salsa

played for like an hour and still havent finished the first mission. Granted im looking at every nook and not moving from an area until I killed every enemy, but this first mission at least feels pretty big. Plenty of branching paths as well.

It's great, basically just more Dishonored.

Playing on the hardest difficulty, i'll probably do a no-kill run once im finished to. Achievements point to high chaos/low chaos so it looks like we get 2 different endings here as well.

Moff

played for like an hour and still havent finished the first mission. Granted im looking at every nook and not moving from an area until I killed every enemy, but this first mission at least feels pretty big. Plenty of branching paths as well.

It's great, basically just more Dishonored.

Playing on the hardest difficulty, i'll probably do a no-kill run once im finished to. Achievements point to high chaos/low chaos so it looks like we get 2 different endings here as well.

thats how I'll play it
sounds good

the levels are 100% new right? or are they (partially) recycled?

Huh, I bought the favor for the safe combo in the first mission, and I found the safe, but there's no combination to be found scrawled on the wall. What am I missing?

jediyoshi

Finished up the first mission

Jesus. For some reason it didn't register with me that blowing up the factory would count as killing everyone inside for some reason. Managed to make it in and out otherwise without killing anyone so I was confused at the ending reaction dialogue. Contemplating whether to redo it or just trek through

Hugs

Are you all playing on PC? Has anyone managed to pick it up on PSN yet, I can't find it in the store :////

Derrick01

Banned
I have this downloading but I dunno when I'll be able to play it. It's been 16 hours since I was getting my eyes dilated at the doctor's and they're still kind of screwed up. I can see just enough to look at gaf, and that's no way to experience a new game/dlc.

Kade

I have this downloading but I dunno when I'll be able to play it. It's been 16 hours since I was getting my eyes dilated at the doctor's and they're still kind of screwed up. I can see just enough to look at gaf, and that's no way to experience a new game/dlc.

You'll probably hate it anyways but get well soon, Derrick01.

taoofjord

Can't wait to play this tonight. How are the graphics? Do they match up to the main game? Since Dishonored has such a distinct art style and the main team are working on some other project (and didn't Viktor Antonov leave Arkane?) I am curious to see if it stands toe to toe in quality. Also hoping they don't re-use too many assets.

Vitor711

The game freezes whenever I try to change the resolution... I can't even get it to change any of the options in the video settings tab without the game crashing.

Any idea what's going on? The game's defaulting to 1600x900 for some reason which looks super blurry to me. Also, annoyingly, it doesn't save the settings in any of the game's config files so I can't get to them despite every other option being there.

I remember that when the game first came out, I had to change basic settings every time on startup as it wouldn't save the changes, but I have a new computer now and am getting a totally different issue instead, it's maddening.

Forkball

I bit and I'm still on the first mission. It's pretty fun and definitely feels like the main game. There are a lot of paths and a lot of options. It's pretty challenging too (although in part because I forgot all the controls). I have a question for the first mission though, minor spoilers I guess:
I knocked out Rothwild and I get two prompts, one to blow up the factory like Abigail wants, or to interrogate Rothwild. He is unconscious, can I still do the interrogation method? Do I just need to drag him over there?

Moff

anyone found the
whale eye
in the first mission? is it even in the first part of the mission
or in the slaughterhouse?

AJ_Wings

anyone found the
whale eye
in the first mission? is it even in the first part of the mission
or in the slaughterhouse?

Go to the tortured whale in the far end of the factory and grant him a "merciful" death by electrocuting him(It's quick and painless according to one of Sokolov's notes but the poor whale screamed anyway :[ ). You have to find two whale tanks to activate the electrocution device, you'll find a couple in the same area. After he dies, you can pluck out one of his eyes.

So I just finished the first mission and... it's more Dishonored! Yeah, that's probably not much as far as impressions go but if you liked the more open-ended missions of Dishonored you'll love this DLC if the first mission is anything to go by.

It appears you also have access to more non-lethal tools such as smoke grenades and stun mines. Gonna finish up the second mission tonight but yeah I'm loving it so far.

Vitor711

Found a solution for my resolution issue in case anyone has a similar issue.

Open "regedit" and go to hkey_current_user/software/arkane/dishonored and edit "ResX" and "ResY" to a supported resolution . Do this by right clicking on either one and choosing to modify. Change the unit from hexadecimal to the second option and enter your desired resolution.

As for the DLC, first mission is awesome. It's more dishonored and I love it. Unfortunately, I distinctly remember the devs saying that this would be the only new area so am worried that the rest will just be rehashes. Still, it was a good 2 hours or more worth of great content so I won't complain too much if it all goes downhill from here.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fucking loving this so far.

So browsing through the Internet I've encountered "Drunken Whaler" from the OST of the game, and it's fucking awesome.

Looking at this game it looks pretty interesting, might buy it, not sure.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Played the first mission after not playing the game in months and I ended up killing nearly everyone in the level :lol

Anybody completed yet? Recommendations as to whether or not its worth for somebody who really enjoyed dishonoured, but for some reason hasn't found the interest to pick it back up after the first playthrough (surprising, I usually love 2nd playthrough)

Specific!

R3TRODYCE

Just beat it, man that seemed short. I enjoyed the second mission but the first and third weren't that great to me.

Moobabe

Figures. I dunno why I still buy DLC when the most we can ever seem to hope for is 3-4 hours.

I do feel a little short changed - my playtime on Steam is showing as 2 hours for the DLC. I do play through this stuff quickly, but that's an idea of how much you might get out of it if you play like me.

RoKKeR

This DLC makes me really want to buy and play Dishonored, I still haven't. Haven't been able to find a great deal yet.

AHA-Lambda

Well that was really short, took me about 2 hours on normal for an imperfect but stealthy playthrough.

It's just more Dishonored, albeit in a bitesized form. Biggest problem is that it's been 6 months since I've last played the game, and it really took a good chunk of time for me to get back into the swing of things, but never felt I got properly back into the mindset of how I played the main game. Although other DLC have been guilty of this too of course, but it's a big problem I find with DLC that has been released for a game much later than in all honesty than it should have been. I don't think I'll be the only one to have that problem, as someone else already said they spent the first mission killing everyone.

PS: given the short nature of the DLC, I'll say there isn't really any point in the runes and charms.

Izcarielo

Banned
Hey guys, do you know the code for the first safe of the level? The one you find in a corner, near the guy in a boat. I dont seem to find the code anywhere :/

Moobabe

$10 = 3-4 hours

$50/$60 = .. 10-12?

I dont know what surprises you. It's good value

By the standard AAA metric, sure. Though I'm not sure I would describe it as "good value" - there's some games that are as cheap, or cheaper, on Steam that provide better value.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't look at it like that. I just don't see the point in stuff that can easily be completed in 1 sitting. I need a lot more than that.

Not much pointing buying DLC for any genre other than maybe RPGs and sandbox games then. Any linear game is not going to have DLC that last beyond 3 - 4 hours, not unless it's a significant expansion pack (that we sadly don't see much of these days).

I'd really like to see linear games get more expansion pack style DLC, for similar reasons as yourself: content you can't breeze through in one sitting, unless it's a long one.

I'm really enjoying this DLC because it doesn't feel recycled or cheap. To me it feels on the same level as Dishonored, in terms of production and attention to detail. I'm midway through the second mission, and it's more recycled assets than the first, but still feels original enough as the layout is mostly new. Actually, regarding that,
I don't know if it's lazy asset reuse on behalf of the level designers, but the opening of the second mission is waaay to similar to the first couple of missions of Dishonored, yet has enough of its own differences to be somewhere new. At first I thought I was in a familiar area, then realised I wasn't. It's pretty disorientating.

But yeah, having two missions in the DLC, knowing the next pack will finish the story, is a bit annoying. Especially since there's still money to be made and upgrades to find in the second mission. I'd rather not wait for the continuation, and play the entire story arc in one go.

That being said, the DLC doesn't in any way feel half arsed in design, and given I got it for AU$8 I think it's very good value. Especially since I recently paid AU$14.50 for the Metal Gear Rising DLC, which while awesome in some ways, was also far too heavy on the content recycling and was not worth the price of admission.

Moobabe

Not much pointing buying DLC for any genre other than maybe RPGs and sandbox games then. Any linear game is not going to have DLC that last beyond 3 - 4 hours, not unless it's a significant expansion pack (that we sadly don't see much of these days).

I'd really like to see linear games get more expansion pack style DLC, for similar reasons as yourself: content you can't breeze through in one sitting, unless it's a long one.

I'm really enjoying this DLC because it doesn't feel recycled or cheap. To me it feels on the same level as Dishonored, in terms of production and attention to detail. I'm midway through the second mission, and it's more recycled assets than the first, but still feels original enough as the layout is mostly new. Actually, regarding that,
I don't know if it's lazy asset reuse on behalf of the level designers, but the opening of the second mission is waaay to similar to the first couple of missions of Dishonored, yet has enough of its own differences to be somewhere new. At first I thought I was in a familiar area, then realised I wasn't. It's pretty disorientating.

But yeah, having two missions in the DLC, knowing the next pack will finish the story, is a bit annoying. Especially since there's still money to be made and upgrades to find in the second mission. I'd rather not wait for the continuation, and play the entire story arc in one go.

That being said, the DLC doesn't in any way feel half arsed in design, and given I got it for AU$8 I think it's very good value. Especially since I recently paid AU$14.50 for the Metal Gear Rising DLC, which while awesome in some ways, was also far too heavy on the content recycling and was not worth the price of admission.

The bolded is kind of what I expected anyway (perhaps naively) - an entire story arc to run alongside the first game, not half of one.

Vitor711

Woah, really? That sux. Not sure if should buy it now.

Just beat it and I can say that I was wrong. They meant that the first one was the only one to have completely new artwork and geometry for the vast majority of the level. The second level after that is a new level, even if it re-uses assets from the main game (it's not particularly noticeable at all though minus one area). Both are nice big levels with multiple paths through them and each contain 2 separate locations separated by a loading screen.

The third and final level is a retread but it's done well. You're still guaranteed around 2-3 hours worth of completely new material.

It's three missions isn't it?

I found that the first one took me nearly 2 hours, mainly because I had forgotten how to play and was taking it super slow but also due to the sheer number of ways available to enter each mission area. I explored the environment completely just to see how the level was designed.

Second mission was shorter but still as well made, even if the re-used assets were a little more obvious.

The worst offender was the first main gate area which looked identical to one used in the main game. The rest of that level felt like a completely different place though, even if it didn't feature unique artwork or geometry. Certainly didn't feel recycled at all.

Third mission was a return to an area already covered in the main campaign, but it was done well. Shortest mission of the three but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

All in all, it took me around 4-5 hours which, for £7.99 I consider to be a complete bargain. The main game itself was double that length but cost three times as much (4 times if you bought it on consoles).

As far as DLC goes, it's probably the best one I've ever played so far. Not quite a full expansion pack, and a shame that the third level wasn't completely unique like the opening two-thirds, but really, really well done and exactly what I had been after.

Top Bottom