• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall |OT| It's straight up Daud time

jediyoshi

By the standard AAA metric, sure. Though I'm not sure I would describe it as "good value" - there's some games that are as cheap, or cheaper, on Steam that provide better value.

If value is dollars to hours and we're comparing everything down the board, then yes, AAA is a sham.

JerkShep

The bolded is kind of what I expected anyway (perhaps naively) - an entire story arc to run alongside the first game, not half of one.

So is it like "Part 1 of 2" or simply an anticlimatic conclusion? I think I'm actually fine with the first option if they manage to create a better story and a longer campaign (maybe with save import?). Yeah you have to buy another DLC to see the "ending" but the price is not so bad considering how much you get content wise with DLCs nowadays

Moobabe

So is it like "Part 1 of 2" or simply an anticlimatic conclusion? I think I'm actually fine with the first option if they manage to create a better story and a longer campaign (maybe with save import?). Yeah you have to buy another DLC to see the "ending" but the price is not so bad considering how much you get content wise with DLCs nowadays

It pretty heavily suggests at being a "part 1 of 2" - though also has its own conclusion of sorts. I was just expecting a full arc, so was a little taken a back when it ended.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't look at it like that. I just don't see the point in stuff that can easily be completed in 1 sitting. I need a lot more than that.

It's $10 DLC. I'm really not sure what you're expecting.

Vitor711

They said before that it would be a 2-part DLC.

It does seem to end at the half-way point but it does end abruptly (not even a 'To be continued' or the like to let you know).

For the content you get (3 levels, 2 of which are large, open ended levels built from 2 separate areas) and the amount of choice you have (multiple endings and multiple ways to kill or spare targets) it's great value. Best DLC I've played so far, and for that price I really recommend it.

taoofjord

Just finished the first mission and it was great fun. The moment you meet
the whale
was pretty jaw dropping.
The sound for it was just amazing. Even the creaking of the straps after it dies. Also thought the butchers were a fun enemy variant. They're pretty terrifying when you're running away from one. I explored the alternate entrances to the building and two of them give you a pretty dramatic introduction to the whale. It wasn't the way I ended up going, as I went through the main entrance, but I enjoyed that too since you can hear the whale from pretty far away. The buildup was neat.

I'm just so happy that I'm back in this rich, immersive world again. Dishonored is one of my favorite games and I really hope Thief 4 can hit this level of quality.

And in case anyone hasn't tried it yet, I highly recommend turning off almost all of the UI elements and playing at the highest difficulty. Get rid of the crosshairs so you won't hit the bad guys with every shot, forcing you to only use it when you're in control of the situation. Get rid of the objective and charm markers, etc. too.

Derrick01

Banned
Just did the first mission and yeah it really is just more of the same, broken stealth and all. I guess it would have been a mistake to assume a DLC would fix anything (although Missing Link was a bit better than its main game). The level design seemed larger and more comparable to the first mission in the main game, which is a plus. I didn't explore everything on that go around but I did stumble around and manage to find all of the objectives on my own. Left a long messy trail of bodies too :)

taoofjord said:
I really hope Thief 4 can hit this level of quality.

I will curse that game to the deepest pits of hell if it matches this game's stealth quality.

Only played a bit, but the mechanics feel as good as ever. (I'll grant that the stealth in this game isn't the greatest, but it's still enjoyable, and the combat is pretty superb.)

Not sure how I feel about time stopping when using Blink. Seems a bit overpowered to me. Makes it too easy to continuously pause everything, survey your surroundings, and find a new target.

Also, I went with agility first, and Daud jumps a lot higher then Corvo. I keep jumping higher then I want to, because it's fairly sensitive as well.

Hopefully Daud actually talks during various encounters with NPC's? I've only played the first 10 minutes or so, and he's been silent except for the narrations at the beginning. I'm generally not a fan of the silent protaganist in games, and was looking forward to a Dishonored experience with a non-mute character.

taoofjord

I will curse that game to the deepest pits of hell if it matches this game's stealth quality.

What don't you like about Dishonored's stealth? Is it that you feel overpowered?

If so, I agree. But I find the game so immersive that I end up finding myself role-playing the encounters and not killing unnecessarily or overusing certain powers/items. I'd love to mod the game to tweak the difficulty and make the game more challenging for people that don't want to direct the experience themselves (which I totally understand) but since that seems unlikely I've just embraced the game for what it is.

I just find so much to love in Dishonored. There's the perfectly realized core vision, the understated story that gets the job done, the world building through exploration, the open Thief-like level design, the weighty yet agile feel of the player's movement, the dark, stylized art direction, the amazing sound effects, the sandbox nature of the encounters, and the many, many small touches that make you smile. I could go on and on, really.

Like Dark Souls, Dishonored is a breath of fresh air in an industry where every big budget game is designed to be a certain way in look, feel, and design. From what I've read of Thief 4 so far I'm not convinced it will break free of that trend enough to hit the notes I want it to hit.

trinest

Picked up the two DLC packs. (the new one and the old trials one). Will probably play it when I'm bored, but otherwise I'll be smashing through Forza challenges.

What don't you like about Dishonored's stealth? Is it that you feel overpowered?

I can't speak for the quoted, but for me I have an issue with Dishounred is more its like a B Grade movie. Its got some charm and that allows it to be bearable. But otherwise it just feels restrictive, like in my play of the original game I always felt I was forced to go down the bad track.

Ill Saint

But otherwise it just feels restrictive, like in my play of the original game I always felt I was forced to go down the bad track.

Interesting. I found it to be one of the most liberating gaming experiences for some time, in regards to the freedom it gives the player in choosing which path to take, (both literally and metaphorically speaking) and how successfuly it accomplished this.

trinest

Interesting. I found it to be one of the most liberating gaming experiences for some time, in regards to the freedom it gives the player in choosing which path to take, (both literally and metaphorically speaking) and how successfuly it accomplished this.

I loved the story (I didn't finish the game though but I think I was on the last mission). But it just felt the more I tried to fix things or stealth as the basis of the bad line had already started which increases the sevalience and stuff, I just felt like I got more and more tangled up in it rather then trying to break free.

Just got it downloaded. I'm debating playing now or wondering if I should wait till the wife gets home and play after that.

I do know one thing. She mentions chores:

tumblr_mjxcmtrjpQ1r91cn2o5_250.gif

Moff

In general I dont like dlc and I dont buy them, because they're usually very very short and provide only recycled content

Knife of dunwall is really good though, certainly among the best, if not the best dlc I ever bought. new levels and some new abilities make this easily worth 10 bucks. its basically a mini expansion which is exactly what I hope for in a 10$ dlc.

sure, I would certainly prefer a 20$ expansion that is twice as big, or a 30$ addon that is three times as big, but this here seems to work better for developers at the moment, so I accept that.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Planning on getting this as soon as Sony gets their shit together and fixes PSN. Dishonored was my 2012 GotY.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished this DLC. Absolutely worth the $10.

If you enjoyed the main game, definitely pick this up.

CloudWolf

Well, I ghosted the DLC without killing anyone on very hard. It was basically just more Dishonored, so it's pretty good. It's way too short though, but I guess that's what you get when the DLC costs "only" 10 dollars. I liked the first mission the most. The second felt too much like a rehash of an early Dishonored level and the third one actually was a rehash of one of my least favorite Dishonored levels (I hated the entire Flooded District level in the main game).

Also, I almost forgot how bad the guard dialogue is in this game. Goddamn, if I hear someone talking about getting a squad or gathering for whiskey and cigars again I might kill someone
in the game of course

Forkball

I beat the first two missions. Pretty fun so far, I liked the multi-step nonlethal takedown in the second level. I've put three hours into it so far, and I can see it being lengthier if you are one of those people who needs to collect everything (seems pointless for so few missions, but maybe your stats will carry over to the next DLC). Playing this made me wish that Corvo wasn't a silent protagonist in the first game.

Spent 3 hours playing this last night and didn't even finish the first mission. So good, reminds my why I have this avatar. Little discoveries like
the guy hanging out in the boat just off the dock.
I have an itch about exploring every inch of a level undetected that this game scratches so well.

Ricker

Spent 3 hours playing this last night and didn't even finish the first mission. So good, reminds my why I have this avatar. Little discoveries like
the guy hanging out in the boat just off the dock.
I have an itch about exploring every inch of a level undetected that this game scratches so well.

Yeah,its awesome,took my time and just got out of the first mission,took me about 1 hour lol...finding all the secondary objectives as well...Died a few times at first because I was rusted and it's kinda hard but I took the Assassin perk and it helped me a lot on the 2 occasions I got caught...pretty great so far.

Yeah,its awesome,took my time and just got out of the first mission,took me about 1 hour lol...finding all the secondary objectives as well...Died a few times at first because I was rusted and it's kinda hard but I took the Assassin perk and it helped me a lot on the 2 occasions I got caught...pretty great so far.

I must be one of the slowest Dishonored players ever...I've got 1.6 hours in the DLC, and just entered the second area of the first level (inside the factory).

AJ_Wings

Just finished it, overall I really liked it and I can see myself replaying it multiple times just like the original campaign. The only real disappointment is the third mission which was just a rehash of
Flooded District
. A shame because the previous two levels were freakin' excellent. Story got somewhat muddled in the end but eh whatever. Really enjoyed my time with it.

Ricker

I must be one of the slowest Dishonored players ever...I've got 1.6 hours in the DLC, and just entered the second area of the first level (inside the factory).

Just after using the Time stamp machine.?...that is where I meant I stopped also... =)...took some time because I am slow at times and I was standing at 1m from a code and didnt figure out the simple thing to do at first lol...also what was awesome is one guy glitching a bit back to his position after he started chasing me and gave up and walked right in those blue tubes and disintegrated himself.... ;)

Vitor711

Yeah, not a fan of the new Blink at all.

Otherwise enjoying it.

Why not? It makes it so much easier to do crazy acrobatics mid-jump. I'd find myself missing the odd jump in the campaign due to the touchy climb prompt but am now almost guaranteed to never miss.

It seems like a massive improvement to me, really don't understand the complaints.

If I could change anything, it'd be the slight cooldown on blink. You can't re-use it instantly if you cancel out of it which is somewhat annoying.

Why not? It makes it so much easier to do crazy acrobatics mid-jump. I'd find myself missing the odd jump in the campaign due to the touchy climb prompt but am now almost guaranteed to never miss.

It seems like a massive improvement to me, really don't understand the complaints.

If I could change anything, it'd be the slight cooldown on blink. You can't re-use it instantly if you cancel out of it which is somewhat annoying.

I think the reasons you like it are some of the reasons I don't. For me, it takes a lot of the tension out of situations. I loved using blink in Dishonored to escape from sticky situations, but it required quick reflexes, and didn't always go as planned (which I found pretty fun). Here, the tension is lessened because I know that I can just pause time indefinitely whenever I want to in order to survey my surroundings at my leisure. I dunno, I feel it just makes it too easy to escape and unbalances the game somewhat. At least for a stealthy playthrough. I'll play it again with straight up combat and see if I like it more with that playstyle.

First map I missed one rune and accidentally dropped 2 unconscious bodies too far from the ground. The OCD wants me to quit, but the rest of me just wants to keep going.

Streaming Master Assassin Ghost difficulty playthrough on PC. Kills enabled if anyone is interested. I know it goes without saying, but this game looks great. I love the art. Especially in this DLC. I'm on the second level by the way.

Just did the first mission and yeah it really is just more of the same, broken stealth and all. I guess it would have been a mistake to assume a DLC would fix anything (although Missing Link was a bit better than its main game). The level design seemed larger and more comparable to the first mission in the main game, which is a plus. I didn't explore everything on that go around but I did stumble around and manage to find all of the objectives on my own. Left a long messy trail of bodies too :)

Say what you want. But, Dishonored did some things right.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Say what you want. But, Dishonored did some things right.

iirc from the game original OT of Dishonored ,Derrick main problem was that the game don't force you to not use powers and because of that the stealth is broken to him,which is a very weird complain.

iirc from the game original OT of Dishonored ,Derrick main problem was that the game don't force you to not use powers and because of that the stealth is broken to him,which is a very weird complain.

Well, he wasn't wrong. The stealth in this game was sorely lacking and the later levels were garbage. Fucking flooded city was horrible.

Wait, why did he get banned?

Well, he wasn't wrong. The stealth in this game was sorely lacking and the later levels were garbage. Fucking flooded city was horrible.

He's only partially right. The challenge of stealth becomes trivial if you take full advantage of the powers. But in contrast, playing the game without them becomes a lot more satisfying as a stealth player. In fact, I'd argue that a playthrough that accomplishes both the Ghost and Mostly Flesh and Steel achievements offers a great stealth experience. For some reason though, Derrick considers it a design flaw for a game to require you to deny yourself options in order to be challenging.

As for Flooded District, it's not the high point of the game, but I wouldn't call it horrible either.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Snuggles' Steam recommendation description for Dishonored is "Steampunk Predator". It's probably the most apt description I've seen for this game yet.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I totally forgot this came out. I'm neck deep in my backlog though so I would feel bad about picking this DLC up. Grrr. I really like Dishonored too!

Played a bit yesterday. I always struggle to get back into a game when I haven't played it in several months.
Anyway, more dishonored is always a good thing and this seems to provide an interesting perspective of the game's plot.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
What's wrong with the Flooded District? That level was great.
It's the same location as a level from the main game. I agree, though, it's really good.

Snuggles' Steam recommendation description for Dishonored is "Steampunk Predator". It's probably the most apt description I've seen for this game yet.
That's spot-on.

Uh, sir? I just wanted to say - congratulations on getting your own squad.

Ahahah, awesome. So glad he finally got his own squad after what happened last night.

Anyway, enjoying this quite a bit. I'm beginning to like the new blink more. It's pretty fun to stop in midair, turn around completely, and pick a new landing location. Once I figured out that time only stops when you don't have your finger on any of the direction buttons, it made a lot more sense.

Playing non lethally for my first playthrough, although I'm getting a bit tired of it. I played the main game twice that way. And while stealth is decent in this game, it's way too easy to cheese guards with blink, and makes it a tad boring.

I think I'll enjoy playing it again, in straight up Daud fashion.

Yup, this is more of the same which is great if you love dishonored. The first level was pretty cool with a setting that is different from anything in the main game and some interesting choices in the end. The second level is giving me some deja vu though.
I'm killing a lot more now than when I played the main game just to mix it up a bit.

Top Bottom