• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall |OT| It's straight up Daud time

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally got around to finishing. Glad to see it was three missions, as per above, and not two. Going to cut together a video review for this one me thinks.

Long and short of it: more Dishonored, but in the best way possible. There's nothing here that's going to sway people who disliked the base game. It's still absurdly unbalanced if you chose to go hostile and don't give a shit about alerts. But that is, ironically, a quality of the game I like the most. If you play non-lethal minimal alerts, the stealth is really great in my opinion. Play lethal and it's pretty easy, but in turn you feel like the ultimate badass. As said, Steampunk Predator. I like the polarity.

Best thing about this DLC is that it in no way feels half arsed. It doesn't even matter that the second mission heavily reuses assets, and the third is a retread from the main game. The missions themselves, even the shorter third, are all fully formed are would be right at home with any mission from the main game. They don't feel too short, too repetitive, or lacking in content. Similarly quasi-open structure, handful of side quests, rewarding exploration, mixture of enemies and NPCs, etc. Tons of voice acting, excellent production values, and so on.

For US$8 I think it's among the best value I've seen in a DLC, especially given it's three missions and Dishonored only has nine. Excellent work by Arkane.

Jb

Finished it yesterday in a little over 5h (ghost, non-lethal) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Both missions had a really strong identity and some very interesting level design. I could have done without the 3rd level but whatever, I guess it was there mostly for narrative purposes. Speaking of which, I must have not payed attention to the setup because I'm still not sure who
Delilah
is and why Daud cares about her, but whatever.
The way Blink works is much more satisfying here imho, not so much because it freezes time but because of how it's visually represented and the "whoosh" that accompanies it. The arc mines and summon assassin were pretty fun to fuck around with too.

All in all it's certainly one of the better DLCs I've experienced, and I hope the seconde one is as fun to play through as this one was .

Forkball

I beat it in 4 hours and enjoyed it. I agree the first level is the best considering they throw a lot of new things at you and there are many options to take. The third level is pretty straight forward, but I liked it since it focused on hardcore stealth as opposed to finding multiple routes. But man this game is obsessed with twists, and the one at the end felt very tacked on. I'll definitely check out the next part though.

But they should have made the empress assassination the first mission instead of a cutscene. It didn't even have to be a real mission, but warping across roofs to take her down could have replaced the outsider-land tutorial.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I beat it in 4 hours and enjoyed it. I agree the first level is the best considering they throw a lot of new things at you and there are many options to take. The third level is pretty straight forward, but I liked it since it focused on hardcore stealth as opposed to finding multiple routes. But man this game is obsessed with twists, and the one at the end felt very tacked on. I'll definitely check out the next part though.

But they should have made the empress assassination the first mission instead of a cutscene. It didn't even have to be a real mission, but warping across roofs to take her down could have replaced the outsider-land tutorial.
I was kinda hoping you'd be able to kill her. But I guess they wanted to jump right into the new missions.

Finished it yesterday. I thought it was a self contained story but I guess it's just part 1. Length is just enough to justify the price tag imo. If you rush through it and go right for the primary objectives you can finish it very quickly, you should take your time.
I like Daud more than Corvo, his voice is cool and he's the leader of a clan of assassins which is always a bonus lol.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it yesterday. I thought it was a self contained story but I guess it's just part 1. Length is just enough to justify the price tag imo. If you rush through it and go right for the primary objectives you can finish it very quickly, you should take your time.
I like Daud more than Corvo, his voice is cool and he's the leader of a clan of assassins which is always a bonus lol.

Daud's voice made me wish Corvo talked in the main game.

I also wish Betheda would give a release date on the Brigmore Witches.

KorrZ

Finally had a chance to sit down and play this. Absolutely loving it so far. I must have spent about 3 hours on the first mission...just methodically clearing out every single inch of the map. I spent the main game playing 99% non lethally (I did kill a few people, but avoided it as much as possible) now that I'm playing as an assassin I'm murdering everyone in sight, but still remaining stealthy.

Can't wait to finish, for the next DLC and bring on Dishonored 2!

thefil

I cannot find the will in mission 2. Can anyone help?

It's randomly placed. It's in a chest on either the second, third, or fourth floor.

Played through twice now.

Love how they keep the changes with chaos rating. For example,
Billie chokes instead of kills the guy at the beginning of mission 2 if you're low chaos
. The end changes as well.

First mission is definitely the best. Second mission suffers from choke point syndrome which I hated in main game as well: single bottleneck between maps. All three missions feature a change-up of goal; none of them can be solved by just killing someone. This is both a plus and a minus, because it restricts the variety of ways you can win (in Dishonored, pretty much any of your abilities are appropriate to end a mission), but also gives it a different flavour from the main story.

All in all a great DLC, delivers on pretty much all the good parts of the main game while making really smart choices where to cut corners.

My only criticism is I have no desire to play a third time; I played main story 5 times back to back because I felt there was always more to discover and change. After two playthroughs I feel like Knife of Dunwall's possibility space is pretty exhausted.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I think my game may be bugged.

I'm on the second mission and need to find the key to the Legal District which apparently one of the gang members has.

Here's the problem; due to the fact I went the long way around and strangled all of the gang members prior to saving the woman it seems I can't get the key.

Am I screwed?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think my game may be bugged.

I'm on the second mission and need to find the key to the Legal District which apparently one of the gang members has.

Here's the problem; due to the fact I went the long way around and strangled all of the gang members prior to saving the woman it seems I can't get the key.

Am I screwed?

I thought I was boned too, and that it was a bug, but
there's a note that mentions one of the hatters is up in a high area scouting out the guards, and he has the key. So the key isn't in the hatters base at all.

Carcetti

This is some straight AAA-DLC. I want MORE. Mission 2 was just the type of mission I love in games like these. Reminded me of the classic Hitman hotel/spa level.

I must have not payed attention to the setup because I'm still not sure who
Delilah is and why Daud cares about her
, but whatever.

The key clue is
a piece of paper in the art studio in barrister's top floor and I think that spells out what's coming in the next DLC pack.

Ricker

I keep hearing about the new Blink and I read the Tutorial about it but I dont get the intructions and I cant do it(on the 360)...how do you freeze time and change direction...? they say to just release LT and hit A and then let it go mid whoosh? ... ;)

Just completed it last night doing a low chaos, largely non-lethal run (only kills I got were dropping an unconscious down stars by accident or similar).

Took me a good 8 hours prolly - not sure if there is a way to check your playtime on it (360)?.

I explored every part of the first two missions. The final mission I found difficult to remain hidden. Had to reload a lot as I'm not bothered with the combat. I didn't even use any weapons except the occasional sleep-dart when I needed to take out multiple enemies holding a hostage or w/e.

Also did anyone else notice guard routes in the game seem to change if you take out an enemy? Other guards nearby would then begin incorporating the missing guard's route into theirs'. Or maybe they just randomly change it up? It definitely kept me on my toes and I noticed it in every level. I'm not sure if vanilla DH did it.

Does anyone know what the
Hatter's tophat
does in mission 2? I'm not sure I ever used it for anything after finding it.

Wondering will our choices/chaos level carry over to the next DLC? DH overwrites your last mission stats when you replay AFAIK. Would like to have a high chaos and low chaos save to use.

thefil

I thought I was boned too, and that it was a bug, but
there's a note that mentions one of the hatters is up in a high area scouting out the guards, and he has the key. So the key isn't in the hatters base at all.

The location of the key is randomized. :D

Another possible location is
the second floor of the Hatter building
. Basically, wherever you find
Chauncy's corpse
, the key is nearby.

thefil

I keep hearing about the new Blink and I read the Tutorial about it but I dont get the intructions and I cant do it(on the 360)...how do you freeze time and change direction...? they say to just release LT and hit A and then let it go mid whoosh? ... ;)

You have to let go of any directional input. As long as you're "still" when using Blink (i.e. not trying to move in any direction) time will freeze.

Does anyone know what the
Hatter's tophat
does in mission 2? I'm not sure I ever used it for anything after finding it.

Good question, I found that as well.

Who is
Chauncy
btw? Anything in a note or book about him
or how he died? Can't remember if he is even a Hatter or not. Just remember his corpse being in their hideout

I'm really interested in getting this, but I haven't played Dishonored in a little while. I finished the original twice or three times, and I kinda want to just jump into this. Is it recommended to play the original again first or could I still get by with this DLC? I remember the vast majority of Dishonored's story.

I'm really interested in getting this, but I haven't played Dishonored in a little while. I finished the original twice or three times, and I kinda want to just jump into this. Is it recommended to play the original again first or could I still get by with this DLC? I remember the vast majority of Dishonored's story.

You should be fine just jumping into The Knife of Dunwall.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Who is
Chauncy
btw? Anything in a note or book about him
or how he died? Can't remember if he is even a Hatter or not. Just remember his corpse being in their hideout

I was wondering that, too.
I didn't see anything in the game that gave any details on him, so I just assumed he was a dead hatter.

KorrZ

I played Dishonored once when it came out back in October and was able to jump into this DLC with no problems.

HT UK

Finished the DLC last night. Thought it was pretty good, looking forward to the 2nd part.

I liked the Choke Gas grenades, didn't try the other new stuff as I try not to kill anyone.

Just finished the DLC earlier tonight. Very meaty for $10 and overall excellent. I don't know exactly how long it took me, but definitely way over 6 hours to explore everything, and I'll definitely be returning to the missions in High Chaos. I'm interested by Daud's arc and am looking forward to the second part.

The Stun Mines are fantastic for a no-kill no-detect playthrough, especially when upgraded. On the last mission I only needed one to
completely clear each pack of 3 guards guarding an assassin.
I was less excited about the smoke bombs though--they barely last long enough to choke out a guy and Blink away with his body. I'm glad they experimented with more nonlethal tools though.

Curufinwe

I did high chaos on my first playthru and murdered just about everyone. In the mansion on mission 2 I just stood at the base of the stairs and chopped/shot down all the guards as they came down.

I not long started playing this and I'm having a fantastic experience so far.

One thing that is quite shitty is this.
dun9.jpg

I'm sure I wasn't getting this but for some reason, I've just noticed it. I have stopped the game a couple times and maybe the first time I played it wasn't this way, but either way it's pretty lame. If I use the spyglass on the bodies I can see the detail. but as soon as I pop back out it's going again.

Eh, kinda, maybe. The second mission in the DLC just uses a lot of assets from the base game.

It´s exactly the same map layout. They just changed some small things like removing the Dunwall letter signs (in that shot you can also see right the stairs of the dlc map), posters...

But the layout is the same (like the open place with the tree in front of the white house).

Alxjn

The second mission was the first ingame footage Arkane showed back then. For whatever reasons they cut it out of the main game.

I just got to the second mission and thought the place looked familiar. I was actually kind of sad to see it absent from the final game because i liked the aesthetics so much.

Salsa

Finsihed. Got caught up with La Mulana in between but did the last mission today

well worth it, lot's of fun, some of the moments are Dishonored gameplay at it's best.

My only real complaint is that the final mission was quite a bit short

Is there any hope for more Daud content after
the second, since he can be spared/killed by Corvo?

I like Daud a lot more as a character than Corvo, mainly because his voice is fantastic, and when he speaks, he's actually very interesting.

ArjanN

There was no good reason to have Corvo be silent.

I guess they figured he'd be more of an blank slate that way, given that you can play him as a kinda, sorta good guy or a crazed mass-murderer.

It didn't really work though as it just came across as a bit odd he didn't say anything. I liked they changed that for this DLC, but it does make it even more obvious in the main game.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
With any luck, the protagonist in Dishonored 2: Vengeance Boogaloo will be a bit more chatty.

-Stranger-

Downloaded this last night on XBL, i was pleasantly suprised that it was only 800ms points.
Gonna fire up my Dishonored disc today, first time since i beat it back in November.

White Man

Very nice, but the problem with DLC for a game this nuanced is that it's come out so late that I've practically forgotten how to play. I would have appreciated this a lot more about 2 or 3 months ago.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Very nice, but the problem with DLC for a game this nuanced is that it's come out so late that I've practically forgotten how to play. I would have appreciated this a lot more about 2 or 3 months ago.

It's weird. You play a game, memorize its controls, then don't touch it for a few months. Then, when you pick it up again, you then spend some time with it, and gradually, you start to remember stuff, and eventually get back into the groove of things.

Hopefully, The Brigmore Witches will come out soon enough that our controls memories won't have suffered in the interim.

Just watched this, and I agree with your assessment of the game.

Prodigal

Banned
So I just 100%'d the vanilla game, are the Trials really not worth buying? Seems like it could be kinda fun for 5 bucks.

Top Bottom