• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy |OT| - better than your fanfiction

Jburton

Banned
I just got this game on the strength of reviews and wanting to try something new ..... and I ain't got a clue, lol.

Any place you can point me for some beginners advice?

Lain

Just got my Legacy Edition. Time to remove YsI&II from the PSP and play some of this.

P.S.: Lighting stands like a boss on that inside cover!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Jburton said:
I just got this game on the strength of reviews and wanting to try something new ..... and I ain't got a clue, lol.

Any place you can point me for some beginners advice?

dissidaforums.com

There are pretty robust character guides for all the returning characters and a few of the new characters. Really the game does a good enough job of explaining the mechanics, the forums will do a good job of teaching you HOW to use them in situations.

^ This reminds me

I just added this to the OP guys:

Help? Need help?:

Of course we'll try to share as much as we can in terms of info as to how mechanics and such work. We of course only know so much however you can visit this forum http://dissidiaforums.com/. This is essentially the shoryuken like forum for Dissidia. Everything you need; gameplay tips, exhaustive info & frame data(yes frame data!) can be found here. These are good folks at work

Finally pulled the trigger on 012 after it showed up in my Amazon Gold Box for $27.50 yesterday. I should recievecit tomorrow if Ontrac doesn't screw up the shipment/delivery.

Side note, I hate when Amazon uses on Ontrac instead of Fed-Ex and UPS. Their track record with me is spotty at best.

But I'm stoked to play more of the game as I've really been enjoying Prologus.

Jburton

Banned
I might not understand what is going on half the time, but I am enjoying this game ...... the mechanics are really satisfying

My copy arrived today. Another nice European special edition from SE. Can't wait to see what T3B's is like next week.

Anyway after installing, downloading more costumes, downloading the 50% off Final Fantasy, I'm finally actually playing. So far it's weird, it's so similar yet there's these little differences that I'm not sure if I understand yet, for example is KP just straight something you stockpile, unlike DP?

xero273

Die Squirrel Die said:
My copy arrived today. Another nice European special edition from SE. Can't wait to see what T3B's is like next week.

Anyway after installing, downloading more costumes, downloading the 50% off Final Fantasy, I'm finally actually playing. So far it's weird, it's so similar yet there's these little differences that I'm not sure if I understand yet, for example is KP just straight something you stockpile, unlike DP?

yes, you can use kp to buy stuff from moggle shops.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Deadly said:
It's pretty crazy how the Dissdia series rewrites the whole story of the original Final Fantasy.

More like adds a bunch of back story that the game didn't really "intend" when it was created. I don't think there's anything in the game that overrides or retells what happened in the original game. I mean they use the name, "Cid" that is mentioned in the first game and give him a huge back story along with Garland. For all we know these things could've happened in the first game.

I believe the term used is "retcon" ? Either way, I like the Dissidia story. I just wish it was presented in a more fleshed out way. Every story scene takes place on a battlefield with character portraits, not really engaging at all. I would've liked there to be towns, NPCs that you can interact with, and other staples of traditional console Final Fantasy games in Dissidia, and just keep the combat system.

RpgN

Adam Prime said:
More like adds a bunch of back story that the game didn't really "intend" when it was created. I don't think there's anything in the game that overrides or retells what happened in the original game. I mean they use the name, "Cid" that is mentioned in the first game and give him a huge back story along with Garland. For all we know these things could've happened in the first game.

I believe the term used is "retcon" ? Either way, I like the Dissidia story. I just wish it was presented in a more fleshed out way. Every story scene takes place on a battlefield with character portraits, not really engaging at all. I would've liked there to be towns, NPCs that you can interact with, and other staples of traditional console Final Fantasy games in Dissidia, and just keep the combat system.

But then it's just an action RPG and not a fighting game anymore. As if it doesn't have enough RPG elements by now XD

Looks like Canada got screwed with the pre-order bonus. Finally got my pre-ordered copy of Dissidia 012 but no Kingdom Hearts Cloud for me :/

SOLDIER

I have a few questions, mainly about the Quest creation.

1. Do you unlock more features for the quests, such as additional dialog lines or conditions?

2. Is there a way to lock in the parameters for characters? Like, if I specifically wanted a character to have a certain Assist or costume for each battle? If so, how do I specify this?

3. How exactly do you "lose" a quest? I know you can forfeit battles, but what conditions are there to failing it completely?

4. Does Aerith have a Dissidia portrait you can unlock (in the character icons)?

5. Is chapter 8 the last chapter for the 012 story mode? If so, how long is it?

6. Lastly, is Tifa awesome in this game or what? In addition to teleporting over enemy attacks, her delivery is done with the highest amount of confidence and charm that her english dub actress has ever given. She's clearly the authority figure of the group next to Lightning.

ChronicleX said:
Jecht was never overpowered, still isn't. Squall has gone from bottom tier to top tier though with the addition of assists.
Squall was never bottom-tier, either. He just had a tough time landing HP attacks.

Professor Beef said:
Squall was never bottom-tier, either. He just had a tough time landing HP attacks.
Yes he was. He was bottom tier because he couldn't land HP attacks, he no longer is because assists can land HP attacks for him or disable his target long enough for his easy to dodge HP attacks to hit.

ezekial45

Banned
What level should I attempt 000? Also, i'm a little confused on how to unlock Gilgamesh and Prishe. Does it want reports or something?

Also, I get the impression that i missed out on a ton of cutscenes. I was looking through the cutscene lists and there were a bunch during 012 that I didn't see. One with Lighting and Firion, for example. Do I need to do something, like back track to early parts of the chapter or something?

Soloist

Neo Member
ezekial45 said:
What level should I attempt 000? Also, i'm a little confused on how to unlock Gilgamesh and Prishe. Does it want reports or something?

Also, I get the impression that i missed out on a ton of cutscenes. I was looking through the cutscene lists and there were a bunch during 012 that I didn't see. One with Lighting and Firion, for example. Do I need to do something, like back track to early parts of the chapter or something?

It could just be scenes you find by playing the highlighted portions of reports(edit: you also need to do these scenes from the report you get by clearing the 013 prologue to unlock prishe and gilgamesh.)

Salsa

About to buy it.

Just to be clear, i dont need to buy the first one right ? it's kinda "included" in here no ?

ChronicleX said:
Yes he was. He was bottom tier because he couldn't land HP attacks, he no longer is because assists can land HP attacks for him or disable his target long enough for his easy to dodge HP attacks to hit.
As of September 2010:

matchup.png

TDLink

SalsaShark said:
About to buy it.

Just to be clear, i dont need to buy the first one right ? it's kinda "included" in here no ?

You are correct, you don't need to buy the first one. It's more than kinda included, it -is- included. Upgraded even. This game introduces the world map and KP for story mode instead of the first game's DP system as well as assists. The new stuff all applies to the old story modes even though they're old, which makes them a lot more fun imo. The original game's story unlocks after you beat the 8 chapters of the new story and it just leads right into the old stuff from the new stuff chronologically so it makes complete sense.

Salsa

TDLink said:
You are correct, you don't need to buy the first one. It's more than kinda included, it -is- included. Upgraded even. This game introduces the world map and KP for story mode instead of the first game's DP system as well as assists. The new stuff all applies to the old story modes even though they're old, which makes them a lot more fun imo. The original game's story unlocks after you beat the 8 chapters of the new story and it just leads right into the old stuff from the new stuff chronologically so it makes complete sense.

Thanks a lot!

Bought. Now to find time to play it, heh.

Professor Beef said:
As of September 2010:

He is still mid tier and before he got bumped to that position he was low tier. He is still closer to low than top as of that list. The only reason he was able to sneak into mid is because his HP attacks land on slow attacking characters, but so does everyone else hence he is still bottom of the mid tier.

ChronicleX said:
He is still mid tier and before he got bumped to that position he was low tier. He is still closer to low than top as of that list. The only reason he was able to sneak into mid is because his HP attacks land on slow attacking characters, but so does everyone else hence he is still bottom of the mid tier.
At his worst, he was never lower than B. I never said he was high, just not low. But whatever. He's a mage killer, and his HP attacks were made for countering them. I'd never use Squall against someone like Jecht, for example, but against someone like Kuja the only problem I would have is deciding which outfit to use.

duckroll

Zidane and Kuja might be "top-tier" characters, but to take advantage of that you have to subject yourself to playing furry midgets with tails. :p

Professor Beef said:
At his worst, he was never lower than B. But whatever. He's a mage killer, and his HP attacks were made for countering them. I'd never use Squall against someone like Jecht, for example, but against someone like Kuja the only problem I would have is deciding which outfit to use.
He was only a mage killer because he can't kill anything else. Mages generally had as much problems landing HP attacks as Squall did, hence he did ok against them. However with assists that changes, hes easily top tier now.
duckroll said:
Zidane and Kuja might be "top-tier" characters, but to take advantage of that you have to subject yourself to playing furry midgets with tails. :p
Take that back!

duckroll said:
Settle your tea kettle, mister!

ChronicleX said:
He was only a mage killer because he can't kill anything else. Mages generally has as much problems landing HP attacks as Squall did, hence he did ok against them. However with assists that changes, hes easily top tier now.
Oh I agree 100%, don't get me wrong. I only said that he was never bottom. But now we're just going in circles. I'm not even sure why I'm defending him since I never used him! :lol

duckroll

SOLDIER said:
I have a few questions, mainly about the Quest creation.

1. Do you unlock more features for the quests, such as additional dialog lines or conditions?

2. Is there a way to lock in the parameters for characters? Like, if I specifically wanted a character to have a certain Assist or costume for each battle? If so, how do I specify this?

3. How exactly do you "lose" a quest? I know you can forfeit battles, but what conditions are there to failing it completely?

4. Does Aerith have a Dissidia portrait you can unlock (in the character icons)?

5. Is chapter 8 the last chapter for the 012 story mode? If so, how long is it?

6. Lastly, is Tifa awesome in this game or what? In addition to teleporting over enemy attacks, her delivery is done with the highest amount of confidence and charm that her english dub actress has ever given. She's clearly the authority figure of the group next to Lightning.

I can help.

1. I don't really understand what you mean. Whatever you need is available right from the start. You write all the lines yourself, and there are already a ton of conditions for the quests.

2. Yes, you can lock in conditions. When you specify the fights, you can choose to either let the player use his own customized character, or you can customize a specific build (including adjusting the level, the assist, equipment, skills, etc) and locking it as that.

3. It's up to you to design the lose conditions. You can make it such that if the player loses any battle, it branches out to a lose condition. Or the quest can continue regardless of victory or loss (just with different scenes after that), etc. You can also define specific victory conditions for an actual battle (ie: they have to win in a certain way).

4. Probably, not sure.

5. Does it say final chapter? If it's the one where you can form a party, it's the last chapter. It's about as long as any other chapter, which isn't very long.

6. Fire -> Firega. Om nom nom nom nom.

Mr.Fresh

Wow I wasn't liking Laguna or Yuna at all when I first starred their stories, after awhile the both just grew on me. Especially Laguna he is really fun!

SOLDIER

duckroll said:
I can help.

1. I don't really understand what you mean. Whatever you need is available right from the start. You write all the lines yourself, and there are already a ton of conditions for the quests.

2. Yes, you can lock in conditions. When you specify the fights, you can choose to either let the player use his own customized character, or you can customize a specific build (including adjusting the level, the assist, equipment, skills, etc) and locking it as that.

3. It's up to you to design the lose conditions. You can make it such that if the player loses any battle, it branches out to a lose condition. Or the quest can continue regardless of victory or loss (just with different scenes after that), etc. You can also define specific victory conditions for an actual battle (ie: they have to win in a certain way).

4. Probably, not sure.

5. Does it say final chapter? If it's the one where you can form a party, it's the last chapter. It's about as long as any other chapter, which isn't very long.

6. Fire -> Firega. Om nom nom nom nom.

Thanks. I get that whatever equipment, look or assists you put on a character before selecting them for a slot is what they'll be wearing in the actual quest, but I keep wondering: what happens if the person playing the quest doesn't have the equipment or assists that I locked in?

Would it be better to just let them edit their own equipment? I don't want to make the quests too easy, but I don't want it to be too hard either.

Is there also a way to adjust the amount of damage (HP or BRV) per match? I'm trying to make it so the first couple of matches are easy and then gradually rise up in difficulty.

duckroll

SOLDIER said:
Thanks. I get that whatever equipment, look or assists you put on a character before selecting them for a slot is what they'll be wearing in the actual quest, but I keep wondering: what happens if the person playing the quest doesn't have the equipment or assists that I locked in?

It doesn't matter if they don't have it. It's specific to the quest.

I wish I would have bought this game on Amazon. The Tifa costume is going for over $50 on eBay, which would have covered much more than the cost of the game.

Professor Beef said:
Why does that not surprise me?
I can't find the link anymore, but I saw one Tifa DLC costume code end at over $130 a couple days ago. You would think people would have better things to spend their money on.

duckroll

SOLDIER said:
Oh really? What about DLC content like Aerith?

I dunno. Someone should try that out and find out. Although, it's possible that Aerith is in the game code anyway, and it was just an unlock key to actually use her. I remember the download for Aerith being like 400kb, but the actual DLC costumes are like 3meg each.

SOLDIER

On the subject, does anyone else feel like adding jiggling physics and panty shots is doing a disservice to Tifa? It's all mild compared to other games, but the way fanboys are going crazy about it seems to do more harm than good for a cool character that is subject to insane masturbatory fantasies.

It is completely viable to like the character for personality and fighting ability first and not because she's got a nice rack, right?

SOLDIER said:
On the subject, does anyone else feel like adding jiggling physics and panty shots is doing a disservice to Tifa? It's all mild compared to other games, but the way fanboys are going crazy about it seems to do more harm than good for a cool character that is subject to insane masturbatory fantasies.

It is completely viable to like the character for personality and fighting ability first and not because she's got a nice rack, right?
I barely noticed the jigglage...maybe I haven't been playing enough Tifa.

Top Bottom