• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy |OT| - better than your fanfiction

duckroll said:
I'm sorry, the only way I'm going to ever discuss Dissidia's "story" is with jokes. :p

Well I'm glad you find it funny because your going to need it when I ask people to make sense of it.

*halfjoking

SOLDIER

Ezalc said:
Actually a lot of FF girls don't have big boobs it's just the fanart that makes it look that way. Tifa's are above average but the only one I can think of with real DOA size is Lulu. Also Tifa was sexiest in Crisis Core because of dat cowgirl.

It could be argued (and is generally conceived by fans) that Celes and Faris are similarly endowed, although there isn't much evidence to go on beyond sprites and character dialog. Rydia is now the modern-day Tifa in regards to fan-art portrayal and belief, even though her chest isn't bursting out of her dress either.

As mentioned, the only ones that go into straight-out DOA territory are Lulu, Beatrix, Lani, and the Selkie from Crystal Chronicles. Those aside, FF isn't a fanservice-heavy series, and I really hate when fanboys (official or just looking for hentai) act like Tifa is the biggest, bounciest exception to the rule when she doesn't even come close.

And I do wish Cowgirl look was the default look.

rataven

SOLDIER said:
In Dissidia's case, the sexiest thing I find about Tifa is her dialog. All of her lines are spoken with a level of confidence and haughtiness that none of the other characters have.
I have to admit that I'm not all that crazy about Rachael's performance this go around. It's quite good in cut scenes, but a few of her battle quotes sound weird. 'I'm gonna win!' being the first one I noticed. She's not bad by any means, but a bit inconsistent.

And I hate to say it, but I'm losing confidence in Steve Burton. I love that Cloud has a completely unique English voice, since Steve doesn't do voiceover work for any other character. But I'm starting to think it doesn't fit Cloud anymore. Too old and gruff. Whereas I always think of Cloud as perpetually in his early twenties.

Now Kain. There's some delicious voicework.

Played my friend at work today for a few matches. I got my ass kicked, I managed to get 1 win but still. I got baited by EX Revenge COMPLETELY forgot about that. I'm not giving up on this game lol.

Sallokin

rataven said:
Just a reminder that you can grab the WoL's helmet-less alt free off of PSN today. It's up via search now.

Thanks for the heads up. Just grabbed it.

Lightning's Aya Brea costume is there as well for those of you who grabbed The 3rd Birthday and have the voucher. It's actually pretty cool.

The End said:
Isn't there another costume due for Cecil?
It's a voucher packaged within the retail release of the Final Fantasy IV Complete game for PSP.

I like the whole idea of taking the original sprites and extrapolating how they'd look in Dissidia world. I hope this means we get Popeye-armed Cloud. >_>

Hopefully S-E releases "KH Cloud" and "CC Tifa" as Paid-DLC on PSN relatively soon so I can;

1) Have access to those costumes.
2) Chuckle at the redicilous prices people paid on eBay.

I still haven't really given my copy the attention it deserves. But I'm overloaded with PSP goodness with this, 3rd Birthday and TitS.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Die Squirrel Die said:
Finally got to Tifa, I have to say I think they did really well with the gameplay for the new characters, not a single duff one in the bunch.

No joke. Yuna and Laguna are my favorites of the bunch. Kain is awesome too, they did a great job with all of them feeling unique!

Adam Prime said:
No joke. Yuna and Laguna are my favorites of the bunch. Kain is awesome too, they did a great job with all of them feeling unique!

The avatar may make this obvious, but I'm a big fan of Kain, he plays pretty much exactly how I'd expect for a traditional FF dragoon. Jump is awesome, especially if you can catch someone at the top. (There's a big trade-off, you're most vulnerable at the top.) I kind of wish he had more to do at range, though.

I don't mind getting free costumes for pre-ordering or buying games I've already planned on purchasing but the premium dlc better be packaged and priced attractively, there's no way I'm paying 3$ for one individual costume. Street Fighter IV's costume DLC is fairly ridiculous and you get four (or is it five costumes?) for five bucks.

rataven

I'd like to see them offer bundles that include both the costumes and music tracks from a particular game, with a small discount attached over buying each item individually. Then also offer the items as stand-alones for those that only want one or two items from that game. $1 seems to be an appropriate price-point for music tracks, and I'd be ok with up to $2 for an original costume.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay Labyrinth Mode is balls. I played for the first time yesterday from the start of the whole thing. Got about 7% completed now.

The mode was designed to be played in like hour long sessions. Since you can't save, you have to keep going until you hit a good stopping point. And once you get going in far enough you'll eventually draw some good Party Cards, get some good equipment, and reach that point where "I can't stop now, too many things are in my favor! If I stop, I'll have to start over again!". Then you're going to hit that Party Card that you HAVE to fight, and you'll start regretting the whole time you spent "Oh shit, I can't die, I can't die, I can't die". THEN you'll barely somehow win that battle with like 3 of your characters KO'ed... reach the end of the floor and decide you've pushed your luck enough, set up a Tent and leave the place. Hoping you'll find your stuff again someday!

So in conclusion, it's excellent.

However, I stand by that I don't like that it must be played in seemingly long sessions to make any 'progress'. But I do have a few questions for the experienced dungeon crawlers:

#1 Perhaps someone could explain to me the tent/cottage system better? I reached the goal last night and it setup my cottage back near the very first start of the game. Does that mean that my cottage will only appear in that room "block" on the map? And I have this correct: If you get cottage weapons, and make it to a cottage or Geomancer card, you will only lose your cottage items if you have the equipped and don't make it back to a cottage? If you never equip them then they'll permanently stay in your inventory before you start each Labyrinth run?

It seems to me that the strategy would be then, once you get a cottage weapon, don't use them in the Labyrinth unless you are in an absolute bind. Do I have all that correct?

#2 Is it strategically better to start at the very front of the Labyrinth you're on? Since the enemies get tougher the deeper you go, is it better to start at the front where the enemies are easier and grind through some easy battles to earn more medals and equipment faster?

#3 Are you supposed to be getting accessories or summon stones? I played for two hours yesterday and wasn't able to equip anything! Never came across any nor was I able to get the materials to trade for some.

#4 Are the enemies scaled to your highest level? So regardless if you set your level to 1, and your actual character is 50... then everything is scaled to your character as a Lv 50, and every level that you set below it just increases your medals for winning, right?

#5 Just how hard does this thing get? I mean I was nearly KO'd very early in my time playing (like 7% in) do the enemies just get tougher and tougher, what's the secret to survival? I feel like equipment is the key to staying alive. Sure skill is too, but starting each run naked makes it feel like it's important to start beating up on easy foes to earn medals, then sell treasure until you an minimally equip your character... until you reach your previous tent.

... So just looking for general strategies. It's super addicting, but I think I'll take a break from the mode for now until I have a better grasp on what I'm doing.

duckroll

Adam Prime said:
#1 Perhaps someone could explain to me the tent/cottage system better? I reached the goal last night and it setup my cottage back near the very first start of the game. Does that mean that my cottage will only appear in that room "block" on the map? And I have this correct: If you get cottage weapons, and make it to a cottage or Geomancer card, you will only lose your cottage items if you have the equipped and don't make it back to a cottage? If you never equip them then they'll permanently stay in your inventory before you start each Labyrinth run?

It seems to me that the strategy would be then, once you get a cottage weapon, don't use them in the Labyrinth unless you are in an absolute bind. Do I have all that correct?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. Tents/cottages basically save all the equipment you had at the point of exit. Then a tent/cottage card will be placed in a location within the Labyrinth the next time you go in. Before you go in, you can see on the map where the tent and cottage is located, so you can choose to start in the nearest entrance to get to that card asap. Once you pick up the card, it disappears for good and all the contents are placed in your inventory. If you die, you lose everything. The only way to retain those items would be to exist and make a tent/cottage without getting a Game Over.

As for the special equipment with the cave icon on them, you are allowed to bring them into the Labyrinth, and out of the Labyrinth at will. If you get a Game Over, with the items you brought in, you lose them, regardless if they're in your inventory or equipped. If you exit the Labyrinth normally without a Geomancer card, you also use them. If you exit with a Geomancer card, you keep them. If you exit via a Goal, you keep them.

#2 Is it strategically better to start at the very front of the Labyrinth you're on? Since the enemies get tougher the deeper you go, is it better to start at the front where the enemies are easier and grind through some easy battles to earn more medals and equipment faster?

Depends on your character, your confidence, the location of your tent card, and your overall objective for that run. After playing a few runs and opening more entrances, you'll start to familiarize yourself with the pattern of the various entrances. For example if you want certain types of equipment, or want to build a party early on as backup in case you ever lose a battle with your main character, etc, then it would help to start earlier in the Labyrinth, especially if you have more time to kill.

On the other hand, if your objective is to specifically grind for certain equipment, get a geomancer card, and then bail out to build a solid tent/cottage card for a future run, or you just want to grind for equip which you can take into the Labyrinth (having multiple copies of each makes it easier to bring it in and not feel bad if you accidentally lose them), then you can just start as close to your intended targets as possible, and just make a fast run.

#3 Are you supposed to be getting accessories or summon stones? I played for two hours yesterday and wasn't able to equip anything! Never came across any nor was I able to get the materials to trade for some.

Yes, you can get summons as well as accessories inside the Labyrinth. They appear later on, accessories especially. In fact, on one of the lower paths, the requirement to open the doors later in the path specifically require you to win battles while holding a specific x[something] accessory multiplier. As for summons, you can find some at the secret path that bridges the middle parts of the first top and first bottom paths. It's the golden door.

#4 Are the enemies scaled to your highest level? So regardless if you set your level to 1, and your actual character is 50... then everything is scaled to your character as a Lv 50, and every level that you set below it just increases your medals for winning, right?

I think enemies are scaled to the level of the active character, so you can scale your level down and their level should reduce as well. I'm not 100% sure, I don't do level setting anymore.

#5 Just how hard does this thing get? I mean I was nearly KO'd very early in my time playing (like 7% in) do the enemies just get tougher and tougher, what's the secret to survival? I feel like equipment is the key to staying alive. Sure skill is too, but starting each run naked makes it feel like it's important to start beating up on easy foes to earn medals, then sell treasure until you an minimally equip your character... until you reach your previous tent.

It's interesting. Enemies don't really get tougher in a linear sense. Instead, what starts to get to you is the fatigue, so you eventually reach a point where you are completely out of characters in your party (the next KO = game over), your points and medals are really high, you have a lot of great loot, and you don't really want it to be a complete waste just because you refused to quit.

On the other hand, there are obviously moments where you just know you have to quit, because you're forced between choosing a 2x medal gamble with a hard enemy you will probably lose against, a 23 medal Abnormal enemy who might KO you in one hit if you're unlucky, and a Party Card with enough enemies to kill you because you've left the card there for too long and the last few fights look hard as hell.

At times like this, it's better to cut your losses immediately. :)

Each level of the Labyrinth has its own characteristics and pattern. So it's not really the same thing as you keep playing. It's just not something that automatically gets -harder- in particular as you go deeper. It does get harder, but it's also different. The hardest part of proceeding as you go deeper will be the conditions of opening locked doors. It is entirely possible later on to encounter doors which if you fail to open by the end of the section, you have no choice but to exit.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
duckroll said:
As for the special equipment with the cave icon on them, you are allowed to bring them into the Labyrinth, and out of the Labyrinth at will. If you get a Game Over, with the items you brought in, you lose them, regardless if they're in your inventory or equipped. If you exit the Labyrinth normally without a Geomancer card, you also use them. If you exit with a Geomancer card, you keep them. If you exit via a Goal, you keep them.

When you say, bring them in, that means equipping them before you enter the labyrinth at that prompt screen, correct? So if I have cave items that I choose not to equip at the start, even if I get Game Over I will not lose them, right? You only lose cave items if you fail to save them at a Cottage AFTER you equipped them on a character at the start?

On the other hand, if your objective is to specifically grind for certain equipment, get a geomancer card, and then bail out to build a solid tent/cottage card for a future run, or you just want to grind for equip which you can take into the Labyrinth (having multiple copies of each makes it easier to bring it in and not feel bad if you accidentally lose them), then you can just start as close to your intended targets as possible, and just make a fast run.

Interesting, so when you say grind for certain equipment, you mean Battlegen? I notice that a lot of the Cave Items that are in the shop I need to trade certain materials for them. But I rarely come across those materials, are most of them made in Battlegen?

I think enemies are scaled to the level of the active character, so you can scale your level down and their level should reduce as well. I'm not 100% sure, I don't do level setting anymore.

I'm pretty sure they scale to your character's highest level. I noticed yesterday when I had a Lv 55 character, I went into the dungeon with their Level Set to Lv 50. I would face a Lv 45 enemy, I brought my level down and they stayed at Lv 45, only I would get more medals for winning. And if I brought my Level up to it's max, they stayed Lv 45 and I would get less medals. And yeah, you're right about it being the Active character. If I switched a lower level party member then the enemies would scale based off their highest Lv.

... So there's really no reason to set your Lv lower than it's actual Lv in the Labyrinth unless you want Bonus Medals for winning with a "handicap". Since my strategy is to just stay alive, I play at my highest possible level, and don't worry about getting extra medals.

Each level of the Labyrinth has its own characteristics and pattern. So it's not really the same thing as you keep playing. It's just not something that automatically gets -harder- in particular as you go deeper. It does get harder, but it's also different. The hardest part of proceeding as you go deeper will be the conditions of opening locked doors. It is entirely possible later on to encounter doors which if you fail to open by the end of the section, you have no choice but to exit.

Hah, interesting. I was wondering if that was possible. Early on if you don't meet the door conditions right away - the last possible card usually has the exact conditions you need, I noticed.

I look forward to seeing a detailed FAQ on Labyrinth Mode. It makes me want to get a notebook or paper to jot down my own notes though! It seems that the key is to whatever you do, NOT lose your equipment and try to hoard as much possible Cave Items. Bigger than losing equipment though seems to be losing your battlegen trading materials!

One more question: do you know if the Shop stays at it's Inventory % for every new run, or does it reset every time you start anew?

squall211

How much extra story is included in the 000 scenario? Approx. how long does it take to beat? And, is it considered harder than the final portion of the 013 story?

Ricker

I have a code for Aya Brea`s outfit(tight black vest and torn jeans ;P ) for Lightning if some are interested....first to quote gets it.

duckroll

Adam Prime said:
When you say, bring them in, that means equipping them before you enter the labyrinth at that prompt screen, correct? So if I have cave items that I choose not to equip at the start, even if I get Game Over I will not lose them, right? You only lose cave items if you fail to save them at a Cottage AFTER you equipped them on a character at the start?

Correct. Anything you choose NOT to equip into the Labyrinth stays outside of that mode and remains in your normal inventory which you can use in any of the other modes without losing it.

Interesting, so when you say grind for certain equipment, you mean Battlegen? I notice that a lot of the Cave Items that are in the shop I need to trade certain materials for them. But I rarely come across those materials, are most of them made in Battlegen?

Sometimes you want to grind for certain accessories or materials after you know where they are. You might not be able to take them out of the Labyrinth, but having more of it stored up in the tent/cottage can serve as a sort of "save file" for the Labyrinth in that sense.

I'm pretty sure they scale to your character's highest level. I noticed yesterday when I had a Lv 55 character, I went into the dungeon with their Level Set to Lv 50. I would face a Lv 45 enemy, I brought my level down and they stayed at Lv 45, only I would get more medals for winning. And if I brought my Level up to it's max, they stayed Lv 45 and I would get less medals. And yeah, you're right about it being the Active character. If I switched a lower level party member then the enemies would scale based off their highest Lv.

... So there's really no reason to set your Lv lower than it's actual Lv in the Labyrinth unless you want Bonus Medals for winning with a "handicap". Since my strategy is to just stay alive, I play at my highest possible level, and don't worry about getting extra medals.

Ah, that's good to know. Sounds like an interesting way to grind medals if you have really good equipment and feel confident about beating higher level characters. :D

One more question: do you know if the Shop stays at it's Inventory % for every new run, or does it reset every time you start anew?

Hmmmm..... that's an interesting question. I'm not sure.

squal211 said:
How much extra story is included in the 000 scenario? Approx. how long does it take to beat? And, is it considered harder than the final portion of the 013 story?

There isn't a lot (or even much) actual "story" in 000. It's very different from the normal story modes. It's more of a free exploration mode for very high level characters. It's hard to really explain, but while there are set objectives (which you don't know about at the start), it's presented in a very non-linear and unexplained way.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sorry I haven't really been following the thread the entire way through.

Should I play Dissidia before playing Dissidia 012? I can get Dissidia for cheap. I want to make sure I'm not really missing a whole lot by going straight into Dissidia 012. Would it be a bad idea to play Dissidia 012 first and then play Dissidia?

xero273

GuardianE said:

Should I play Dissidia before playing Dissidia 012? I can get Dissidia for cheap. I want to make sure I'm not really missing a whole lot by going straight into Dissidia 012. Would it be a bad idea to play Dissidia 012 first and then play Dissidia?

First dissidia story is in 012. You beat 012 and you can play the first dissidia story. So get 012. Not a bad idea since 012 happens before the first dissidia.

ezekial45

Banned
GuardianE said:

After finishing 012, you unlock the original game with new enhancements. So no, just buy this one.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
xero273 said:
First dissidia story is in 012. You beat 012 and you can play the first dissidia story. So get 012. Not a bad idea since 012 happens before the first dissidia.

Oh wow, really? The entire original story is in 012? There's literally no reason to own Dissidia?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
GuardianE said:
Oh wow, really? The entire original story is in 012? There's literally no reason to own Dissidia?

I traded in my copy in for $5 credit the day I purchased 012.

Had a great run today in Labyrinth mode. It's fucking legit. I'm trying to main Yuna, I think she's my favorite and the best character in the game so far. So many tools from any position on the screen.

Still trying to pick up on the intricacies of the game though. Need to watch more fight videos I guess!

duckroll

HOLY SHIT! I'm glad I held off buying Moon Diver until today. Dissidia012's JP DLC on the Asia PSN Store is going for a STEAL. I got both Zidane and Kuja's costumes AND the FFIX music pack combined for the price of Prologus! Now, that's a deal. I skipped the FFIV music pack since FFIV sucks that was priced at the JP price (which is ironically the price I paid for all of the others combined).

WOOHOO! I hope all the future DLC are priced like this on the Asian store, because that would definitely get me to actually buy them. :)

Sephiroth and Laguna DLC incoming to Japan the seventh of April.

DLC_Sephiroth.jpg

DLC_Laguna.jpg

As well as a music pack for FFVII and FFVIII.

FFVII:
Crazy Motorcycle
Electric de Chocobo
Birth of a God

FFVIII:
Liberi Fatali
The Landing
Shuffle or Boogie

duckroll

I like Zidane's DLC costume a lot. The cape moves very nicely, and even when he goes into EX-Mode he retains the cape, losing only the hood to expose his furry head. Kuja's DLC costume is decent, and certainly the best costume he has to date, but that's not saying much considering how his other costumes are all palette swaps. I did a sort Labyrinth run with Zidane using his costume, was a lot of fun... until he died lol.

KH Sephiroth looks good there, but I'm not sure if I want to buy him without having KH Cloud (grrr). Hopefully they decide to put KH Cloud and KH Squall up next week as well, instead of keeping them exclusive to stupid JP crap which I can't use on my Asian account. Laguna's DLC costume SUCKS. I don't think I would even spend a dollar on that. Yuck. :(

I'd so buy the Sephiroth alt on my JP account, (It'd go nicely with my KH Cloud that I got thanks to BBSFM) but even with the GameID trick, it's rather bothersome to keep having to log in and out of my US and JP accounts in order to use a certain costume.

Hopefully these costumes make their way over to the US sooner rather than later.

duckroll

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I'd so buy the Sephiroth alt on my JP account, (It'd go nicely with my KH Cloud that I got thanks to BBSFM) but even with the GameID trick, it's rather bothersome to keep having to log in and out of my US and JP accounts in order to use a certain costume.

Hopefully these costumes make their way over to the US sooner rather than later.

I have KH Cloud from BbSFM too, but I CANNOT USE IT, because I bought Dissidia012 (and Prologus, and all the current DLC) on my main Asia account. Even if I got the UMD game and could use the outfit, I would lose Aerith, and all my existing DLC just to use it. Fucking awful. They really have to just release the bonus costumes on the store. I WILL PAY! &#@^(%#*&$%#

duckroll said:
I have KH Cloud from BbSFM too, but I CANNOT USE IT, because I bought Dissidia012 (and Prologus, and all the current DLC) on my main Asia account. Even if I got the UMD game and could use the outfit, I would lose Aerith, and all my existing DLC just to use it. Fucking awful. They really have to just release the bonus costumes on the store. I WILL PAY! &#@^(%#*&$%#
The JP voucher codes don't work on the Asian store? That sucks.

duckroll

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
The JP voucher codes don't work on the Asian store? That sucks.

Yeah, it doesn't. I tried it there first, nothing. Then I tried it on the JP store, and I got it. Then I realized my folly, so now I can't even give the code to a friend who can use it. :(((((((((((

I need a hug. :(

Wow, the cape animations are pretty well done. (Especially the victory pose)

If/when Zidane's alt becomes available outside Japan, I'll definitely pick it up.

rataven

Without KH Cloud, KH Sephy seems so lonely and out-of-place. But holy heck I'll buy it anyway, because I'll never forget that boss fight.

Zidane looks great in that video. Really nice alt for him. And I love Rose of May, so I'll definitely grab those assuming they're made available in the US.

Top Bottom