• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

epmode

Thunder/lightning clouds is one I can't quite figure out. Applying air/electricity to black smoke doesn't do it for me. But I've seen it happen a few times, and I'm not sure why.

Steam. Cast lightning on steam.

I'm not sure how to actually remove a static cloud, though. I had one appear via a trap in Black Cove and the stupid thing wouldn't go away on its own. Took a few minutes of slowly moving my character out of the cloud in between stun applications.

edit: I guess I could have teleported my guy out! But I'd still like to know how to remove a static cloud.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Oh right, I did miss that one. I believe fire clears out static clouds assuming there isn't a trap or something generating it. This wouldn't work in black cove though because its via trap generator and not just a random cloud.

Steam. Cast lightning on steam.

I'm not sure how to actually remove a static cloud, though. I had one appear via a trap in Black Cove and the stupid thing wouldn't go away on its own. Took a few minutes of slowly moving my character out of the cloud in between stun applications.

edit: I guess I could have teleported my guy out! But I'd still like to know how to remove a static cloud.

All of the clouds have a source from a nearby grate, in the epicenter of the occurence.

Tutorial Dungeon FTW.

SRG01

So, I'm sure this isn't normal: I went from level 4-12 without spending a single attribute or skill point. All I did was get new equipment and chose very carefully with my learned spells/skills. :D

On another note, Leech has to be one of the unfairest traits in the game.

Not in battles they don't. I'm pretty sure you can remove static clouds with fire though.

I didn't see it! But you might be right and I just missed it.

I'll try fire on the next in-combat static cloud I see. They're not all that common though.

For trap clouds, there is always a vent/grate.

For in-combat.. hm.. probably water or fiery smoke (as you suggest), would be my guess. I've never actually seen a naturally occuring lightning cloud.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Not sure how well known this is or not but my friend and I found a silly sequence breaking bug/glitch last night.

Sometimes you'll come across things like magic barriers or other stuff in your way from progressing and you're supposed to deactive/unlock/do something and come back later to get through.

Even if you have a teleport ability the game will tell you you don't have line of sight and stop you.

But if you stand next to whatever barrier and drag one of your pyramids onto the ground onto the other side of the barrier there are always some pixels you can find with your mouse where the game will let you place the pyramid. And then you can use the other pyramid to teleport through. I think we've sequence broken a couple things with this now.

My character doing this had level 1 of telekinesis from a ring or something. I'm not sure if that's required or not.

Dario ff

Banned
Touchdown! (5-6 hours of those were probably idling)

YRqHY0K.png

I don't even know what to say, but the fact that this was done over a single week should say enough for now.

NIN90

The RPS system is seriously fucking stupid. I had 8 Charm versus 3 in this one conversation and I had to quickload four times until I finally autoresolved successfully.

I just don't get how people are saying they completed the game in 55 hours and did everything they could find. I'm around 70 hours (100 hours total with my o-op game) in and only at Hunter's Edge, I've been doing almost everything but I still have a lot of stuff to mop up. I had to repeat a couple of the fights early on as I pushed forward above my level, but mostly I've not been hindered.

I'm at 80 hours now, I've done some stuff at HE. I too can't understand how some people have blown through the game. You could probably take 10-15 hours off my time if you wanted for inventory management but STILL.

Two questions about entering third area:
haven't explored the fiery area to the north of the second map cause nothing directed me here...will it eventually or should I go back? I'm lvl 16. But this leads to my second question: Zikzax gives me the Closing the Rift quest when I enter the third map, but I can't figure out where he is trying to direct me to?

Chaos17

haven't explored the fiery area to the north of the second map cause nothing directed me here...will it eventually or should I go back? I'm lvl 16. But this leads to my second question: Zikzax gives me the Closing the Rift quest when I enter the third map, but I can't figure out where he is trying to direct me to?

Weird, Zikzax appeared in front of me when I went to the fiery area in the north of the second map because his quest is for that area.

The RPS system is seriously fucking stupid. I had 8 Charm versus 3 in this one conversation and I had to quickload four times until I finally autoresolved successfully.

I jankened against an opponent that exclusively used rock.

It was glorious.

Manual and/or available information FTW. Fuck tutorials.

I'm too old to have these newfangled learning experiences :p

Mmm'kay.

Tutorials are actually oldschool game design, nowadays it's all about Introduction Levels and "immersive training."

Eternia

Who ? o.o
The mini-boss infront of the (late-game area)
Source Temple
did that to me on the first turn, twice.

I'm at 80 hours now, I've done some stuff at HE. I too can't understand how some people have blown through the game. You could probably take 10-15 hours off my time if you wanted for inventory management but STILL.
Took me about 85 hours (I idled a bunch too) to complete while trying to do a lot of sidequests. I'd probably use at least an hour after each level just to go around shops, clear my inventory, and possibly plan out how to use my points. Short of those people trivializing every fight after a certain point, it boggles my mind! I know I made it pretty hard on myself with how stubborn I was and how I poorly I constructed my party.

Already mentioned but yeah, those two are for the same quest. I had the same thing happen and the only reason I can think of is they really wanted you do know about it. But that would mean they implemented that alert in a really sloppy way.

Who was it that said the character models are lacking? I love the next-gen-ish lighting and shading of the models, it makes them look clay-like which is a cool effect. It's especially nice on Orcs.

Why Oggy-woggy whyyyy

Still in the first town but I just wanted to say that this might be the best CRPG I've played since Fallout 2. Of course we'll see if it can sustain it through the rest of the game but so far I'm having a blast.

Decado

Is it possible to find that flare-like spell the fire elemental has? I swear I saw it earlier in my game and there is a scroll, but I cannot find the skill book for the life of me (looking for three or four levels now).

My Mage is supposed to be a pyromancer, but can only cast flare and fireball...the later which has a cool down so long it rarely can be cast more than once per battle.

Question about the dialogue minigame.

When you pick charm/intimidate/reason, what determines your score for each?

I'm almost certain it's your charisma versus their charisma, perhaps with an attitude modifer as well.

The larger the gulf between yours and theirs, the greater scoring power one of you will have over the other.

It almost seems too good to be true.

(H2G2 should honestly be a required reference for every game.)

Is it possible to find that flare-like spell the fire elemental has? I swear I saw it earlier in my game and there is a scroll, but I cannot find the skill book for the life of me (looking for three or four levels now).

My Mage is supposed to be a pyromancer, but can only cast flare and fireball...the later which has a cool down so long it rarely can be cast more than once per battle.

Yes you can find a spellbook for that one, I forget what it's called but I found it fairly early, definitely in Cyseal.

You can, it's called Burning Blaze:

I think I crafted mine. Take a Flare scroll (the description says it fires two projectiles) and combine with an empty fire skillbook.

You might need crafting level 5 to do this, though.

Edit: I thought quoting images made them smaller, why is it so huge what am I doing wrong?

erragal

Burning blaze is a fixed item. There's only one copy in game. Fire elemental version has a knock down attached and is separate.

erragal

Right... but what maps to what? I mean why would I want to pick reason over charm or intimidate etc?

You're trying to match your response to their personality/mood. Different people are susceptible to different forms of persuasion. You get a bonus and apply a penalty to the opponent if you select correctly.

Ultinately rng still matters most. There is no magic trick to beating a computer in rps. It's a truly cruel torture.

So I put about 4 hours in, am loving it, now my wife wants to play so I'm starting over

Any reason to get the dlc for a first play through? is it any good? Does it integrate into the base game well or does it feel tacked on?

epmode

Any reason to get the dlc for a first play through? is it any good? Does it integrate into the base game well or does it feel tacked on?

The grail thing is useful for getting a ~10% gold bonus when selling garbage armor. The talking trunks thing is awful. I've only heard it say about three different lines.

The real reason to get the DLC is for the soundtrack and the design documents.

erragal

...I just demonstrated how to create it?

As for the Elemental's version that includes a knockdown effect afaik there's no way to get that exact skill.

That's an oddity. So you can't make a flare spellbook? Does it make flare if your character level is lower? Does blitz bolt scroll make a lightning bolt (also a fixed, unpurchaseable spell) spellbook?

z1ggy

I started to play it today for a few hours withouth reading anything the mechanics and stuff.

The combat is AWESOME. I guess i missed too much playing a good cRPG with turn based combat.

Also, it's pretty.

I, for one, welcome back the golden era of cRPGs.

Please Wasteland 2/Pillars don't dissapoint.

That's an oddity. So you can't make a flare spellbook? Does it make flare if your character level is lower? Does blitz bolt scroll make a lightning bolt (also a fixed, unpurchaseable spell) spellbook?

I assume it's because the Flare scroll shoots two projectiles. Maybe they assigned the wrong spell to the scroll or something, but that's the way it is right now.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There are lots of spells where the names of scrolls and the names of the spells don't match.

Fireball scroll is 'small fireball' the spell, Restoration is 'restore', Blitz Bolt is lighting bolt, etc...

This is probably just mismatch between their early names during early access and what they finalized as.

Ferrio

Banned
Can you buy "Walk in shadows" anywhere? I didn't take it as a starting spell... but I have yet to find a book so I'm really regretting that.

ah, thanks guys. Are all the stats in this game explained anywhere (or on the internet)? I'm still not too keen on how everything is effected by different variables.

Top Bottom