• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Terra_Ex

Nice, my update just started. Won't be able to have a proper crack at the editor till the weekend though, but Monday is the main event!

I want to check out the editor but it's 1am and I'm waking up at 7am. Fuck.

Do we know if the game will support workshop?
They uploaded a test module to Steam Workshop during the earlier stream, so yes.

epmode

The more I play around with this game to experiment a bit, the more I convince myself this is an instant classic.
The one, only, single feature I don't like to any degree is the randomized loot.

Agreed. I've only enjoyed this kind of thing in Diablo-style ARPGs and I'm not a huge fan of those. I'm honestly surprised that it found its way into Original Sin. At least the game is easily moddable so someone could eventually release a full loot rebalance!

Are all of the loot containers random or are there a bunch of fixed containers? Because I wouldn't mind random loot sprinkled around the game provided that there are still set treasures to shoot for.

Ludovico

The hype around this game is awesome. Not sure if I really have the time to play, bbbuuuttt...

What are the odds this'll run decently on an Asus T100? My pc's down for the count until Christmas, but I'd still like to play along with the rest of GAF next week...

Sentenza

Are all of the loot containers random or are there a bunch of fixed containers? Because I wouldn't mind random loot sprinkled around the game provided that there are still set treasures to shoot for.
For what I've noticed so far with the beta, there are a bunch of fixed items here and there, mostly utility ones, but virtually all loot that isn't part of the scenario (chests, monsters and boss drops, etc) is completely randomized.

And yeah, as I pointed I'm definitely not a fan of this choice.

epmode

I don't mind random loot at all, but I'm surprised they didn't design any safeguards to stop save scumming.

Yeah, I be happier if the randomized loot was locked into place once your game started. Keep the same loot seed even across reloads.

Course, I'd be even happier with more fixed rewards but the loot seed thing would probably be faster to implement.

Levyne

Banned
To activate Cow simulator 2014 you have to go to the workshop and subscribe like you normally do for Steam workshop.

I haven't looked around the Steam workshop since messing with Skyrim two years ago. It this going to have workshop support? That would be awesome (wouldn't it?)

RK9039

I haven't looked around the Steam workshop since messing with Skyrim two years ago. It this going to have workshop support? That would be awesome (wouldn't it?)

Yeah it's coming out with the development tools, you can make your own maps and other things like Cow simulator.

ed: IT HAS BEGUN.

iX9Li09F2v8WV.jpg

UrAvgGuy

I haven't been following this much so quick co-op question: can each player bring in two characters or do you each control one?

It sounds like you only control one character if you aren't the host.

If the host has a co-op partner in her lobby at the point of character creation, then you both create your own, otherwise the host creates both characters and can invite co-op players in whenever they fancy. If you share the creation process with another, that character isn't tied to the specific other player in any way. You as the host are able to continue playing in single player controlling the whole party, inviting other, different players if you wish, whatever. Ultimately it's the host's game. Any co-op partners you invite are just guesting in your save file, controlling all aspects of the second 'main' character but only doing so for the duration of your session.

Edit: importantly, the game supports multiple profiles so you can have separate playthroughs running concurrently.

RK9039

Anyway, I just tried it. That promo video is HIGHLY MISLEADING, I tell you what. No quests! No explosions! But there are at least four cows so I won't sue.

Yeah it's empty right now. But they said Cow simulator will be updated in the coming days.

And the Divinity Engine isn't on tools yet. I'm sad now.

Sothpaw

You have to learn which posters to trust. I think Uncharted is polished and nice but it is basically the poster child of a series that gets a hype multiplier for being an exclusive.

Good point. People in this thread is probably a good place to start.

Decado

Do summons have, or start to get, interesting abilities? I've only tried the spider, and all it can do is attack.

Zareth

Do summons have, or start to get, interesting abilities? I've only tried the spider, and all it can do is attack.

I know that the ice elemental gets an ability to summon ice walls and stuff so I can assume other summons will have abilities as well.

Decado

How does crafting in this game fit into the loot/economy? Is there still a lot of stuff to buy, is crafting more fun or functional? Catered more towards warriors, rogues, spellcasters etc?

EDIT: Also, anyone know what the difficulty levels impact?

Zukuu

Banned
Editor update is on, 2,3gb.

I hope you can have Mods with non random loot. Didnt know there is random loot in this game :/
I think down the line someone will do it. Maybe in a community endeavor. First we have to live with it. Randomized loot isn't SO bad if there are non-random items that can randomly spawn, and if the source will have a item level attached to it. e.g. opening a chest that contains a level 2 (or character level) item after a boss just feels bad. However, if it's guaranteed to be level 10 (or character level +xx) then it still feels rewarding.

New monitor shipped from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. My hype is rising.
Nice. Now you can enjoy it even more. Not as much as I do since I have already ascended to the next level of comfort and will play it while lying. :)

Is ice elemental a water skill?
Yes. Each element has an own Elemental with special properties. I think Air is the highest level, but not sure. Witchcraft has skeletons and maybe Demons.

Stoof

I feel like this game will be very overwhelming to me with all the stuff jam packed into it.
And I'll love every second of it.

Zukuu

Banned
I feel like this game will be very overwhelming to me with all the stuff jam packed into it.
And I'll love every second of it.
I think some / most normal people won't finish it due to that reason. There is just too much to do. :)

Sothpaw

It's the game editor patch, but Valve's being stupid and haven't hit the "magic button" to actually enable access to it.

The patch also contains some additions/changes to the campaign, such as new companions. It is the final beta patch before release.

I don't have time to play tonight but if someone could post a report that would be great...especially what class/skills they have.

Zukuu

Banned
since they mentioned "dont open the main campaign or you'll be spoiled", I guess it means that it's also the rest of the game (maybe minus a small unlock + day one patch).

we could find out what all the spells and skills are, tho. :3

So they gave us Pandora's box and the key to open it, then told us not to ? Ha, like tying a filet to a starving mans neck and bidding him to just sit there.

Santiako

I played for an while again for the last time before release (if I can contain myself :p). I'm mostly set in playing a Knight and a Witchcraft + Pyro mage. I also got a couple of placeholder achievements :p

In the short time that I played today a dog agreed to help me on a quest, half (the upper half to be precise) of a zombie decimated my crew, I fell through a hole and ended up in a dungeon, I traveled through time and space
where I met an immortal imp and the personification of Time itself
, I shamelessly sold a talking oyster even though he begged me not to, a bull read my fortune, I fought a zombie that had a flamethrower, I made a horrible looking fish pie, I convinced a man to keep his charmed orc sex slave, I put a bucket in my head, I stole golden cutlery, I ate raw dough, I joined what I'm sure is a pyramid scheme, I intimidated my own partner, a cat killed me, a sheep told me to look out for were-sheep, a fucking chicken told me off, I helped kill a chicken, I convinced a man to steal fish and then snitched on him and I sneaked as a bush even though I was inside a house (not suspicious at all).

THIS GAME IS FUCKING AMAZING

Play it on your current one in the meantime! You know you want to!

I use a laptop currently, and although I haven't looked at the requirements I'm sure I could play it beforehand.Waiting till I build the PC gives me a reason to be even more excited I guess, haha.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I noticed something similar when selecting an image for the small banner in the Steam thread. You really need to see more of an isometric game.

The combat gif you have in the OP is pretty neat though.

Thanks. I'll probably put one or two more and link the appropriate WebMs, it's the most I can include without making the OT too distracting.

Dark Souls is even better.
Not sure why you thought you wouldn't like it.
If you are someone who can appreciate stellar level design, tight game mechanics and a moderate challenge, the Souls series is a sure bet.

The core game is intriguing. But the poor port, even with Durante's fixes, is distasteful enough that I will probably never play it again.

Sentenza

The core game is intriguing. But the poor port, even with Durante's fixes, is distasteful enough that I will probably never play it again.
Eh, I strongly disagree. It runs nicely, the art is great, it reaches 60 fps easily once fixed, it's very, very stable and of course the game itself is outstanding.
The day they will also get rid of GFWL it will be the day I won't have nothing to complain about the "port" any more.

Zakalwe

Banned
So the update broke our saves... Damn it. I guess this is good news, I won't be tempted to go too far before release.

I wish it was out now, I have three days off and no games. ;_;

Top Bottom