• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

None of those are animu characters and you are basically posting pics from games made by the same company. I guess I should bust out images of all the red headed female characters in the NT games and claim they make generic female characters.

Really grasping for straws here man. Besides old man Leon came AFTER DMC4 so it doesn't hold much weight.

Dante has squinty eyes... What the fak am I reading? Square jaw? And DmC Dante doesn't have a square jaw?

MYE

None of those are animu characters and you are basically posting pics from games made by the same company.

Yes, because its just that easy. Being from the same company doesnt change the fact that that look is overused.

I guess I should bust out images of all the red headed female characters in the NT games and claim they make generic female characters.

Sure. Why not.
Kat is generic. No arguments from me there

Really grasping for straws here man. Besides old man Leon came AFTER DMC4 do it doesn't hold much weight.

And how does that invalidate my claim that many japanese characters sufer from clone designs?

This is really really dumb... If you don't like the way classic Dante looks you could just say it instead of making up stupid excuses.

Oh I've said it plenty of times that I hate it. I'm elaborating on why...thats what these boards are for (?)

jett

D-Member
Dante looks fine in some spots and really derp in others. Example: When you beat your first enemy encounter is mission 13 and the camera zooms in on Dante's face.

I guess its because the game is always switching between in game and pre-rendered footage.

Facial expressions, how do they work. That's it, really. And varying lighting. Character models look the same to me in-game, in real-time cut-scenes and in FMVs.

The game has awesome character models as far as I'm concerned.

AA2D1620A44BD9945CC856DEE12E60D08F0D68DB

996CF77AF064EACFEA038BA23F576098E76613F1

2BB2B3499D7168D27D56F6E33C5F2C3BFBD622CE

DMC4's models were super impressive 5 years ago. Nowadays they look too much like porcelain dolls, dem early gen skin shaders. Facial animation is obviously a lot better in DmC too.

0174_25758.gif

He looks like the biggest jerkoff in the world right here. That smile is horrid.

Yeah he looks like a douche there, but is surprising to see how he doesn't act like one during most of the game. That is why he ends up been likable (at least for me), NT really made him look like an jerk during all those trailers.

But still, Uncle Dante is still badass because he can pull out this:
tumblr_mh67s3l9Ew1r9qeaxo1_500.gif

And yes, its the fan created gif we have seen hundred of times, but for some reason, I can definitely see him doing that in DMC with no problem. He is such a great characters that you can see him in Stupid, Funny and Serious scenarios with no problem.

iavi

The facial animation in DmC is so, so good. It's no surprise, though, seeing that it's NT's forte. HS and Enslaved were a level beyond everything else until Halo 4. Only game that matches their work, imo.

Dahbomb

Sure. Why not.
Kat is generic. No arguments from me there
Wasn't talking about Kat although she does look like HS's side character. Was talking about Nariko -> Enslaved girl -> Eva.

And how does that invalidate my claim that many japanese characters sufer from clone designs?
First of all you claimed that Dante was a generic animu character which implied that Dante was like some random generic anime character. Failing to provide example of Dante-like characters in anime you went to attack Japanese game developers on making similar looking character designs (mind you Capcom had not made a character like Dante prior to DMC4). My question is how is this a "Japanese" only trait when Western developers are just as guilty of using generic character models from not only their own games but from other companies as well?

http://borderhouseblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/1237687236272.jpg

Dahbomb

Kat is generic now too?
I didn't say that, he did. I was saying that his argument of how Dante and Leon Kennedy looked similar as a way to say that Japanese game developers make generic characters could also be used to point out how NT likes to rehash red headed female characters.

jett

D-Member
Uncle Dante is less an animu-cliche and more an example of the weird-ass Japanese ideal of beauty. Immaculate, porcelain-like white skin and perfect hair. That applies to Nero too. His clothes, however, ARE an example of Japanese character design in vidya games. Just complete nonsense. He looks cool though, leg warmers and all, to me anyway. Nero though...I prefer Donte's garbage bag coat.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Uncle Dante is less an animu-cliche and more an example of the weird-ass Japanese ideal of beauty. Immaculate, porcelain-like white skin and perfect hair. That applies to Nero too. His clothes, however, ARE an example of Japanese character design in vidya games. Just complete nonsense. He looks cool though, leg warmers and all, to me anyway. Nero though...I prefer Donte's garbage bag coat.

I dunno I think he has a more subtle modern cowboy look to him.

antitrop

I never much cared for Nero, as a character.
I loved him from a gameplay perspective, but everything about his characterization and design was terrible.

Thinking back, I now find it laughable that we were worried that Ninja Theory was going to "screw it all up" when the last game in the franchise had Nero in it.

MYE

First of all you claimed that Dante was a generic animu character which implied that Dante was like some random generic anime character. Failing to provide example of Dante-like characters in anime you went to attack Japanese game developers on making similar looking character designs

No. Because you mentioned it, I went on to explain how DMC4's older Dante managed to be generic in a completly new way. Now his face is the spitting image of the generic Japanese pretty man, Capcom (for example) is clearly guilty of overusing.

(mind you Capcom had not made a character like Dante prior to DMC4). My question is how is this a "Japanese" only trait when Western developers are just as guilty of using generic character models from not only their own games but from other companies as well?

Yes, western developers are just as guilty of making generic characters. Maybe even worse than Japanese developers. DmC is clearly not the case though

jett

D-Member
I dunno I think he has a more subtle modern cowboy look to him.

Definitely cowboy inspired, but look at what he's wearing:

Red denim jeans, with leather leg chaps on top, AND zipped leg warmers on top of that. Oh and three belts on his chest. And I believe no less than six zippers on him. That's dangerously close to Nomura territory! He looks cool, but it's a ridiculous outfit.

Dahbomb

I went on to explain how DMC4's older Dante managed to be generic in a completly new way.
So DMC4 Dante became generic retroactively because Capcom's other devs decided to ape the design.... yea OK.

This is the first time I have ever seen someone use generic and new way in the same sentence like that. It's essentially an oxymoron.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Definitely cowboy inspired, but look at what he's wearing:

Red denim jeans, with leather leg chaps on top, AND zipped leg warmers on top of that. Oh and three belts on his chest. That's dangerously close to Nomura territory! He look cool, but it's a ridiculous outfit.

I was talking about Nero since Dante is more blatantly cowboy.

What exactly are people arguing now?

That new Dante isn't generic? Or that old Dante was generic? Or that new Dante is better than Old Dante? Or that old Dante was a bad character?

(maybe, no, probably not, no. imo)

iavi

I didn't say that, he did. I was saying that his argument of how Dante and Leon Kennedy looked similar as a way to say that Japanese game developers make generic characters could also be used to point out how NT likes to rehash red headed female characters.

Not picking any side on the debate here, but I don't think you have a point there. That's a case of one artist's like of a particular trait vs design homogenization at large. Nariko doesn't look like Trip who sure as hell doesn't look like Eva.

Leon does look like Uncle Dante face, but I've never understood the idea behind picking out that one trait or small subset of, usually facial, traits and saying 'oh look! He copied she who copied he. When the end results don't actually look much of anything alike aside from those few FTS. Clothing choices, accessories, shoes, I think you have to take it all into account when making these design comparisons. They are there.

For that reason, though, I do wish gaming would get away from characters always wearing their signature outfits.

I very strongly feel the otherwise. She reminds me of Kai from Heavenly Sword, in a good way.

Yeah, I actually like Kat's design. It's bizarre and confused looking, but is eye catching, still. Works with her character too.

MYE

So DMC4 Dante became generic retroactively because Capcom's other devs decided to ape the design.... yea OK.

Please, lets not act like DMC4 Dante created any design trends.

This is the first time I have ever seen someone use generic and new way in the same sentence like that. It's essentially an oxymoron.

What I meant was that young Dante looks like an anime cliche. Then Capcom redesigned an older version and managed to make him look like ANOTHER cliche. < a new generic design

Dahbomb

Not picking any side on the debate here, but I don't think you have a point there. That's a case of one artist's like of a particular trait vs design homogenization at large. Nariko doesn't look like Trip who sure as hell doesn't look like Eva.

Leon does look like Uncle Dante face, but I've never understood the idea behind picking out that one trait or small subset of, usually facial, traits and saying 'oh look! He copied she who copied he. When the end results don't actually look much of anything alike aside from those few FTS. Like the new Dante to young Nathan Drake comparison somewhere up there.
That's exactly what I am saying. The red headed NT character design comment was sarcastic just like I don't put much weight into Dante and Leon Kennedy looking alike.

This is the first time I have heard someone bring up that Nero has cowboy elements to him and now that I look at him again... I see it. I do think Dante is more cowboy inspired than Nero though.

jett

D-Member
If you recolor some of his clothes and put a stetson on him he definitely could look like one.

Eh, I dunno. He has a hoodie underneath his sleeved up coat. His purplish blue and red palette does nothing for me. And heh, you can put a stetson on a horse and it'll start looking cowboy-ish.

iavi

That's exactly what I am saying. The red headed NT character design comment was sarcastic just like I don't put much weight into Dante and Leon Kennedy looking alike.

This is the first time I have heard someone bring up that Nero has cowboy elements to it and now that I look at him again... I see it. I do think Dante is more cowboy inspired than Nero though.

My fault. I get what you're saying now.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Eh, I dunno. He has a hoodie and a sleeved up coat. His purplish blue and red palette does nothing for me. And heh, you can put a stetson on a horse and it'll start looking cowboy-ish.

Well I can definitely see the influence in it and cowboy'd up Dante just reinforces that was part of the design decisions. I guess we can agree to disagree on this though.

Dahbomb

The Revolver and the boots are sort of cowboy inspired. I guess cowboys used to play poker/gambling games a lot so that's why Nero has a lot of moves named after such things (High Roller, Maximum Bet, Shuffle etc).

But I still see Nero as more of a Japanese/FF Nomura inspired character. I mean the hair style, the pretty boy look, the wrist band, rings on his finger, zippers etc. He's like a cross between a DMC character and a FF character IMO. Nero was so clearly designed to cash grab the female Japanese audience.

jett

D-Member
Oh and this will cause a bunch of hate my way, probably, but looking at both of them next to each other I think I like Vorgol better. Too bad he sucked in DmC.

2417232-vergil_dmc.jpg

Well I can definitely see the influence in it and cowboy'd up Dante just reinforces that was part of the design decisions. I guess we can agree to disagree on this though.

aight

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh and this will cause a bunch of hate my way, probably, but looking at both of them next to each other I think I like Vorgol better. Too bad he sucked in DmC.

aight

It's too bad that neither character actually looks like that in the game.

Korigama

Donte's garbage bag coat just looks like a Goodwill version of what Nero wore, though.

Koroviev

Facial expressions, how do they work. That's it, really. And varying lighting. Character models look the same to me in-game, in real-time cut-scenes and in FMVs.

The game has awesome character models as far as I'm concerned.

2BB2B3499D7168D27D56F6E33C5F2C3BFBD622CE

DMC4's models were super impressive 5 years ago. Nowadays they look too much like porcelain dolls, dem early gen skin shaders. Facial animation is obviously a lot better in DmC too.

That is really nice looking. How is the game, though? I've been perusing the thread and opinions seem to be rather mixed. I have no prior experience with the series and would be playing the game on PC with a DS3. I like games with grades/medals if they actually correspond to skill level.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just played the first mission on PC. I'm quite pleased with it so far. I actually quite like what I've seen from Dante thus far. My only complaint is that Stinger feels terrible to use compared to previous entries. Bring back lock on.

The character design and art style seem absolutely top notch.

ezekial45

Banned
That is really nice looking. How is the game, though? I've been perusing the thread and opinions seem to be rather mixed. I have no prior experience with the series and would be playing the game on PC with a DS3. I like games with grades/medals if they actually correspond to skill level.

There's a demo on PS3/XBL. I quite enjoyed the game myself, this title in particular is a great entry for newcomers. Also, the PC version is the definitive one to get.

jett

D-Member

That's how I'm playing it. I think it's great, and a very accesible DMC game for newcomers too. The combat is varied and satisfying and the level design is pretty inventive. Graphically it's a winner.

MYE

Finished it today. Loved almost everything about it. Worth the full price I paid for it for sure.
If you are new to the series then I say go for it :)

Dahbomb

You should definitely get the game especially if you have no prior experience with the series. I wouldn't say the grades correspond to skill but more of if you know how to exploit the system though.

In other news.... I killed the Hunter in one combo on DMD mode......

HHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAAHHHAAHAHAH

Easiest SSS rank ever. Man if DMD is like this throughout it's the easiest DMD in the series by far.

2417232-vergil_dmc.jpg

Vorgol's coat is terrible, that fucking print. Don't forget the fedora. Vergil looks slick as hell. No one was saying all this silly shit before this came out. Contrarians up in here

Nero's outfit looks clean too

Koroviev

There's a demo on PS3/XBL. I quite enjoyed the game myself, this title in particular is a great entry for newcomers. Also, the PC version is the definitive one to get.

I have to turn on my PS3? <:T

That's how I'm playing it. I think it's great, and a very accesible DMC game for newcomers too. The combat is varied and satisfying and the level design is pretty inventive. Graphically it's a winner.

Finished it today. Loved almost everything about it. Worth the full price I paid for it for sure.
If you are new to the series then I say go for it :)

Cool, think I might. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Dahbomb

No one was saying all this silly shit before this came out. Contrarians up in here
Exactly. Back when DMC3 Dante was cheesing it up, Vergil held down the bad ass quota for the game. Fucking slicing epic demons face in 4 pieces.

OG DMC3/UMVC3 Vergil for fucking life. Although chronicles Vergil mug is pretty bad ass (the one in my avatar).

jett

D-Member
bitch plz, don't talk to me about prints when OG Vergil has that weird relief thing on his coat. I'm not being a contrarian, NuVergil just looks better to me. The simple black and blue combination works better. And the fedora is nothing in a series filled with fashion crimes. :lol Nero however is just ugly though.

Y'all just jelly at Borgil.

tumblr_mhcgqhLokt1qk0oi6o2_500.png

Even Donte can't hide his jellyness.

Top Bottom