• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno guys I think a table runner is a valid garment of clothing

Who am I kidding, Gloria is horrible

Sephzilla

I dunno guys I think a table runner is a valid garment of clothing

Who am I kidding, Gloria is horrible

Gloria is a microcosm of one of the things I liked about the old games.

Dev #1 "Can we make this even sillier and impractical?"

Dev #2 "I dont think so"

Dev #1 "Do it anyway"

*Designs Gloria*

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gloria is a microcosm of one of the things I liked about the old games.

Dev #1 "Can we make this even sillier and impractical?"

Dev #2 "I dont think so"

Dev #1 "Do it anyway"

*Designs Gloria*

There is an appeal to that kind of insanity, I won't lie.

Dahbomb

It never fails to surprise me when people pay money for the Gloria outfit in UMVC3. People really love their Lady Gaga.

I sometimes forget that Lady, Gloria, and Trish are in DMC4. They never appear outside of cutscenes and the last time I watched the cutscenes in DMC4 was back in February 2008.

Sephzilla

I youtube the DMC4 cutscenes once and a while, the Dante ones are usually worth a few good laughs. And the post-credits cutscene is pretty fun even though it drags on a little.

You are so fucking full of shit. It's amazing.

iblT8GR6FJKu9h.gif

RIP DMC

thefil

Just watched a video of this on YouTube as I was thinking of picking it up... can you really get SSS on bosses just spamming the same move over and over?

Dahbomb

Just watched a video of this on YouTube as I was thinking of picking it up... can you really get SSS on bosses just spamming the same move over and over?
No that was patched a long time ago. That used to be the case but not anymore. Repeating moves will lower your ranking if you are SS/SSS and you need to keep on the offensive and mixing up moves to maintain SSS.

Demon dodge is still OP.

Mike M

Nick N
Pretty much, though I think the patch nerfed it slightly. Style points seem(ed) pretty heavily correlated to damage, so Trinity Smash or anything after a demon dodge (especially Trinity Smash) would just rack it up.

EDIT: Okay, maybe more than slightly nerfed.

ezekial45

Banned
With all due respect I think to a certain degree you just don't want to accept that DmC has a good deal of problems. You can say I'm nitpicking all you want and that I never gave the game a chance (despite the fact that I've told people that for 15-20 bucks DmC its a decent buy), but the stuff I'm complaining about in DmC are things that actually exist.
Oh I do recognize the faults the game has. I just think, for a lot of people, they're deliberately going out of their way to tear down the game to validate their position.

But it doesn't matter. I like it, you don't. Let's just let it go.

I really hope you understand that comments like these make you look no better than MTMBStudios. I'm not defending or siding with him at all, I'm just saying that all you're doing right now is verifying that there are people on the pro-DmC side of the fence who are just as bad as people who are extremely anti-DmC. I know this is the internet, but just take the high road.

You're right on this. But don't think that I don't want DMC5. I still enjoyed the past games, and I wouldn't be against DMC5 or sub-title related to that by any means. I'm a fan of this series, truly.

Dahbomb

Style points seem(ed) pretty heavily correlated to damage, so Trinity Smash or anything after a demon dodge (especially Trinity Smash) would just rack it up.
They rack up style points fast but repeating moves will lower your style points gained per hit and you won't be maintaining SSS for long. I have done many experiments on how the style points are gained in this game (pre-patch and post-patch) and basically if you start even doing minor repetitions in moves your style points rewarded are lowered.

So even if you are sitting on SSS rank and you do your second Trinity Smash in a row, you will be rewarded with far less style points than doing it the first time around. Sometimes even rewarding less than 1/3rd of the original value.

That said spamming Trinity Smash on a boss when it's downed is generally the best thing to do, it does a lot of damage.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Girls girls, you're both pretty.

But MTMB is prettier because he isn't defending a boring bad game.

*trollface*

Dahbomb said:
That said spamming Trinity Smash on a boss when it's downed is generally the best thing to do, it does a lot of damage.

And really, at the end of the day that's all that matters in the series: Doing the most damage over style meter. Combo videos are nice, but impractical if you want to "beat" the game.

Dahbomb

And really, at the end of the day that's all that matters in the series: Doing the most damage over style meter. Combo videos are nice, but impractical if you want to "beat" the game.
No what matters is maximizing style points on a boss fight in the least amount of time. Considering that in DmC boss fights are separated into their own missions it's even more important to beat the boss with as much style points as possible.

A lot of the combo videos showcased for DmC have actually been very practical. I have learned a great deal from them and improved my game play a lot. An example is that stacking Kablooey on a single target, launching them up, Buy In and then explode the stacks will give you a shit ton of AOE damage in a small area with a lot of style points. And you can do something similar with Ricoshot too as Juggle shots generate a ton of style points. There are specific style accolades that you can't even get if you do stuff like that with Ricoshot and Buy In.

It's a shame that MGR came out so close to DmC and the hardcores flocked to it instead of deciding to put more lab time on DmC. I am guilty of this too and only now have I returned to DmC after all this time, mostly in anticipation for the DLC. The game has legitimate depth and does retain that appeal of action games where the more you put into it the more you get out of it.

thefil

It's a shame that MGR came out so close to DmC and the hardcores flocked to it instead of deciding to put more lab time on DmC. I am guilty of this too and only now have I returned to DmC after all this time, mostly in anticipation for the DLC. The game has legitimate depth and does retain that appeal of action games where the more you put into it the more you get out of it.

If you could only choose one of the stylish action games that came out recently to recommend, would it be DmC or MGR?

Mike M

Nick N
If you could only choose one of the stylish action games that came out recently to recommend, would it be DmC or MGR?
Speaking as someone who doesn't derive enjoyment soley from performance depending on precision execution, I think I preferred DmC better overall.

DmC
+ Better art
+ Visually more interesting
+ Better utilization of alternate weapons
+ Better camera
+ Better training mode

MGR
+ Better framerates (on consoles, anyway)
+ More challenging
+ Way faster
+ Lock on
+ Rewards efficiency over style

They're both excellent games.

Mike M

Nick N
Aren't these both referring to the same (highly subjective) thing?
I guess they're highly related, but not necessarily synonymous. Like the end of the battle with the Metal Gear Ray with the ninja running up the missiles and down the collapsing clock tower was visually impressive, independent of art design, you know?

Korigama

I guess they're highly related, but not necessarily synonymous. Like the end of the battle with the Metal Gear Ray with the ninja running up the missiles and down the collapsing clock tower was visually impressive, independent of art design, you know?
Hmm, scenarios then. Alright.

[Going into it]...I didn't want to like it but I didn't want to hate it either.

I find this statement a bit odd. Especially coming in regards to a video game. Why would you deliberately feel any kind of "emotion" or pre-developed notion of liking or hating a game going into it before you play it? Just play it, and whatever qualities the game has will dictate whatever quality you perceive to have after your time with it has ended. In fact, shouldn't you prime yourself to actually be receptive to a game you purchased and will soon be investing hours upon hours of your precious time doing something which, let's face it, is a complete waste of time... I can't, understand this at all.

Oh I do recognize the faults the game has. I just think, for a lot of people, they're deliberately going out of their way to tear down the game to validate their position.

But it doesn't matter. I like it, you don't. Let's just let it go.

I've noticed this so much in regards to this game, that some people just hating on everything this game is about from start to finish, from announcement to release - and then they would play it, and there is in no way they would enjoy the game. You've literally conditioned your brain to dislike the game, that there is no actual way you'd come off as enjoying it no matter how good the game actually is.

Anyway, the initial reaction to this game and it's consequent release deserves a dedicated analysis at some point in time in the future. In regards to mental health and state of minds, regarding obsessions, conditioning, compulsive disorders and ultimately a larger behavioral analysis among younger adults in regards to how they react to fictional forms of entertainment both in the form of a group and individual mindset. There is clearly a massive disconnection between those who play DmC without any pre-conceived opinions, and to those who had them. Especially, when - you consider that DmC, despite all of it's differences, is by and large a DMC game. Much more than the new Tomb Raider is to the old ones for example. Hell, DmC is more like the previous DMC games are then RE5/6 is to the previous RE games, and those games were never billed as a 'reboot' to begin with, and aside from the occasional "I miss static camera angle" complaints from RE fans, opinions of it's gameplay departure was never as poignant as it was for this DmC game. It's like people latched on to key negative concepts regarding the game, i.e, - Dante's appearance, 30 fps, lock-on, Tameem being an asshole, and these concepts have completely over-ridden their ability to play a game as it is as a form of entertainment. Sometimes I think people are exaggerating by saying DmC is worse than DMC2 or Operation Raccoon City, using off-base exaggerations for the sake of trying to convince others not to purchase it in the hopes of getting a phantom DMC5 or some silly nonsense, not so much that they actually "believe" what they are saying. But sometimes, I fear - I can't tell the difference anymore. And this applies to both positive and negative impressions.

Does this comment not strike anyone else has odd? Especially coming in regards to a video game? Why would you deliberately feel any kind of "emotion" or pre-developed notion of liking or hating a game going into it before you play it? Just fucking play it, and whatever qualities the game has will dictate whatever quality you perceive to have after your time with it has ended. In fact, shouldn't you prime yourself to actually be receptive to a game you purchased and will soon be investing hours upon hours of your precious time doing something which, let's face it, is a complete waste of time... I can't, understand this at all.

I've noticed this so much in regards to this game, that some people just hating on everything this game is about from start to finish, from announcement to release - and then they would play it, and there is in no way they would enjoy the game. You've literally conditioned your brain to dislike the game, that there is no actual way you'd come off as enjoying it no matter how good the game actually is.

Anyway, the initial reaction to this game and it's consequent release deserves a dedicated analysis at some point in time in the future. In regards to mental health and state of minds, regarding obsessions, conditioning, compulsive disorders and ultimately a larger behavioral analysis among younger adults in regards to how they react to fictional forms of entertainment both in the form of a group and individual mindset. There is clearly a massive disconnection between those who play DmC without any pre-conceived opinions, and to those who had them. Especially, when - you consider that DmC, despite all of it's differences, is by and large a DMC game. Much more than the new Tomb Raider is to the old ones for example. Hell, DmC is more like the previous DMC games are then RE5/6 is to the previous RE games, and those games were never billed as a 'reboot' to begin with, and aside from the occasional "I miss static camera angle" complaints from RE fans, opinions of it's gameplay departure was never as poignant as it was for this DmC game. It's like people latched on to key negative concepts regarding the game, i.e, - Dante's appearance, 30 fps, lock-on, Tameem being an asshole, and these concepts have completely over-ridden their ability to play a game as it is as a form of entertainment. Sometimes I think people are exaggerating by saying DmC is worse than DMC2 or Operation Raccoon City, using off-base exaggerations for the sake of trying to convince others not to purchase it in the hopes of getting a phantom DMC5 or some silly nonsense, not so much that they actually "believe" what they are saying. But sometimes, I fear - I can't tell the difference anymore.

The whole scale belief there is something wrong with anyone who doesn't like this game is just as as bad as the disbelief anyone could.

You could create an equally interesting study of the people who see fit to compulsively defend the game at every juncture, not only disregarding others concerns with the game but their own personal views and insights. Im not talking about simply changing your mind but literally performing mental gymnastics to justify their views.

This is a case study for ALL OF US how the need to be right makes you invent arguments, disregard the truth and edit our world maps just to fit our points. Almost everyone who has posted in these threads over the past 3 years does not come off unscathed.

Be careful when you point fingers, because there are always three pointing right back at you.

The whole scale belief there is something wrong with anyone who doesn't like this game is just as as bad as the disbelief anyone could.

You could create an equally interesting study of the people who see fit to compulsively defend the game at every juncture, not only disregarding others concerns with the game but their own personal views and insights. Im not talking about simply changing your mind but literally performing mental gymnastics to justify their views.

This is a case study for ALL OF US how the need to be right makes you invent arguments, disregard the truth and edit our world maps just to fit our points. Almost everyone who has posted in these threads over the past 3 years does not come off unscathed.

Maybe. But there are numerous people that both dislike this game and enjoy the game that wouldn't fit into the classification of "obsessive and compulsive" in regards to hating or defending the game. Granted, it's human behavior for everyone to slightly contort viewpoints and "facts" to fit their own perceptions and arguments, but we're talking about scale here. There are those who have - and this is the simplest way I can put it, have completely fucking LOST IT when it comes to their impressions of this game. Is it agenda based, have they convinced themselves completely that this is the worst game ever? Or vice versa. Who knows anymore? And that's ultimately the biggest problem.

Maybe. But there are numerous people that both dislike this game and enjoy the game that wouldn't fit into the classification of "obsessive and compulsive" in regards to hating or defending the game. Granted, it's human behavior for everyone to slightly contort viewpoints and "facts" to fit their own perceptions and arguments, but we're talking about scale here. There are those who have - and this is the simplest way I can put it, have completely fucking LOST IT when it comes to their impressions of this game. Is it agenda based, have they convinced themselves completely that this is the worst game ever? Or vice versa. Who knows anymore? And that's ultimately the biggest problem.

The controversy around this game reached full meltdown 2 years ago and never really deescalated. Everyone began with hyperbole and accusations, and it's been the tone of the conversation since the reveal. If someone can't accept that DmC is simultaneously a competent action game and a regression for the series in a lot of avenues, I don't know if I could take them seriously.

If Capcom doesn't decide to press forward with a sequel, I think DmC is just going to be remembered as a terrible idea that was executed much better than anyone expected. The fan outrage was definitely overdramatic but 95% could've been easily avoided if Capcom didn't have its head up its own ass.

I guess NT comes out looking the best from all of this.

Dahbomb

Anyone saying DMC2 is better than DmC need their head examined or better yet quit gaming altogether.

TOO difficult to call. In reality you should play them both, there aren't many games in the genre to begin with. To me they have different strength and weaknesses.. preference comes down to a case by case basis.

I would recommend MGR only if you have played a DMC game already because MGR is a different type of action game than what we are used to. If you have never played a DMC game before then DmC would be a great start.

It's too hard to call, I would say play the demo of both games and see what you like better.

MGR is pretty garbage if you have any ambitions of playing it on the highest difficulties where every part of the combat system falls apart and the camera will make you actually vomit blood

MGR isn't really a stylish action game. It's probably closest to NG Black.

MGR is pretty garbage if you have any ambitions of playing it on the highest difficulties where every part of the combat system falls apart and the camera will make you actually vomit blood

WASH AWAY THE ANGER

jett

D-Member
I'd take DmC's camera + no lock on over MGR's camera + lock on EVERY TIME.

Every single time. Easily.

I played DmC's Blood Palace earlier and this is the fucking truth. The camera is always dynamically changing depending on what's going on, zooming out or in to give you the best view possible. In MGR it's always locked in the same position, no matter what's going on. And sometimes it literally locks up preventing you from even controlling it. Ugh. No thought went into the creation of the camera system. It definitely works against you on an almost constant basis. VR Missions are the WORST.

I'm not stuck, I just no longer enjoy progressing through revengeance difficulty (which isn't really harder than VH, which I've done) because deaths almost never feel like my fault. In fact, they are almost always the result of offscreen attacks with no audio or visual signposting and no way to control the camera (the camera will unceasingly arrest control from you and enemies jump around so much lock-on can fuck you). I love the game and want to love it on every difficulty and S rank everything, but I just can't.

It's a HUGE bummer because the game is SO GRATIFYING on Hard.

While DmC's DMD is too easy and the enemies aren't nearly aggressive enough, it deserves a little credit for not ratcheting the difficulty to levels that aren't really supported by the systems.
I'd take DmC's camera + no lock on over MGR's camera + lock on EVERY TIME.
There's obviously a middle ground but in your dichotomy, yes. God yes.

where did you get stuck?

Salt is always the sign of a good action game.

Haha, check in when you've actually breached the hard difficulties.

DmC definitely has a better camera

Too bad it also has far worse bosses, color coded enemies, boring cut scenes and characters, worse framerate on consoles, no lock-on, dull repetitive platforming, and still only moderately challenging and entertaining on its higher difficulties(and an influx of even more color enemies)

I'm not stuck, I just no longer enjoy progressing through revengeance difficulty (which isn't really harder than VH, which I've done) because deaths almost never feel like my fault. In fact, they are almost always the result of offscreen attacks with no audio or visual signposting and no way to control the camera (the camera will unceasingly arrest control from you and enemies jump around so much lock-on can fuck you). I love the game and want to love it on every difficulty and S rank everything, but I just can't.

While DmC's DMD is too easy and the enemies aren't nearly aggressive enough, it deserves a little credit for not ratcheting the difficulty to levels that aren't really supported by the systems.

I am currently playing through the game on Revengeance and I really don't have a problem with it. The mode actually feels like a none-joke version of DMC3/DMC4/DmC's Heaven or Hell mode where every fight lasts like sub 30 seconds depending on your ability to perfect parry and one hit kill enemies. Everything dies too fast for me to actually even have a problem with the camera sometimes unlike Very Hard. The gorilla enemies are almost easier than Hard or Very Hard considering their parrys aren't hard to do and it is a one hit kill on Revengeance. It is a neat difficulty but I kind of wish there was a harder version of Very Hard and then Revengeance was above it and was just binary one hit kills on Raiden but perfect parrys are one hit kills.

I have been thinking about it and I think that I may be too hard on Ninja Theory. I think that at the end of the day the most offensive thing to me isn't the actual game or Ninja Theory's brand of uhm, "game development". The most offensive thing to me is probably the idea that someone out there at Capcom actually thought that this is what I wanted or that this was a good idea. The idea that somehow reducing complexity and making everything about the experience easier is something that was supposed to appeal to me. I understand that there bet was that they would reach a wider audience (which is absurd considering they picked fucking Ninja Theory whose games scream the opposite of "wide audience") but I am sure they wanted to retain the millions who enjoyed their previous games, right?

I always viewed DMC/NG/etc as games that people go to explicitly to dig into them or at the very least to experience something a little harsher than usual. I think of these games as games that appeal to fighting game fans (hey, those games sell pretty well generally) or people with similar mindsets (people who enjoy combat systems but are not hugely into player vs player like me). I am not sure what they were going for with this game. I don't really like Ninja Theory's games, their style, their company ethos but I guess saying that gaming would be better off if they didn't exist is a bit strong. Mediocre, outsourced DmC probably would have occurred with or without them.

Even though it is not a total disaster zone like Ninja Gaiden 3 - a lot about this game's production reminds me of it (vaguely "going for a larger audience").

Never said I had.I've barely played it. Im still am on a crazy work pattern and won't be able to play through the whole thing till next week. But there are things on even hard that are frustrating to me. It's the same frustration I got from playing DMC3 or NG. I stand by what I've said. If a game makes you feel salty but you keep going, it's a good action game. To this day I still can't be bothered to complete God mode on GOW3. that's not salt, it's boredom.

You can't say the game is garbage in one sentence and say you love it in another. That shows frustration at the systems you otherwise love.

Dahbomb

I have been thinking about it and I think that I may be too hard on Ninja Theory.
Ya don't say.... niccage.gif

The final product that is DmC is a much better game than most other modern games. Despite it trying to go for a wider audience it still does things that are old school action game staple, which in fact is one of the main reasons the game didn't get stellar sales and acceptance by the casual audience. If this was someone's first action game it would be an excellent starter into the genre. Too many factors going against the game, it would've faired better as a next gen game with different expectations and less competitions.

It's hard to say which design choicees were NT's and which were Capcom's. We know that the game was brought to life because of Capcom's own hard on for Western games and money. If this was a different scenario and Capcom was just interested in outsourcing a DMC game for a spin off but not going heavy on the Westernizing/casualizing this would've been a completely different product as deliveres by NT.

It's hard to say which design choicees were NT's and which were Capcom's. We know that the game was brought to life because of Capcom's own hard on for Western games and money. If this was a different scenario and Capcom was just interested in outsourcing a DMC game for a spin off but not going heavy on the Westernizing/casualizing this would've been a completely different product as deliveres by NT.

That's something I'd like to know. The development process in general interests me, but given how this game came to be, knowing which side did exactly what would be nice.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
I bought the game yesterday and just beat it on nephilim. I was very surprised by how much fun I had with this game. Combat is a bit more accessible but it still requires a good understanding of the game's mechanics. I'd recommend it to cats who are new to the genre.

Now I'm gonna start my SoS playthrough.

jett

D-Member
Thinking about it, if DmC's gamespeed, parry/dodge timing, enemy telegraphing and overall flow had been done with 60fps in mind it might actually give MGR a run for its money. 30fps design limiting this bitch, even when running at 60fps on a PC.

I guess there's nothing to be done the about shitty boss fights, though. :p

Top Bottom