• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Endo Punk

Because the original team was and is busy working on Dragon's Dogma/Deep Down instead? Do we have to act out this dance again and again? :D

I was talking about DmC2. Everything is leading up a Dante v Vergil game like DMC3. DmC already has all the trappings of the original franchise so if they do go with NT again I hope they really go all out with a reboot, it will make it an easier pill to swallow then a DMC Lite. Hopefully open world then Im definitely on board.

I was talking about DmC2. Everything is leading up a Dante v Vergil game like DMC3. DmC already has all the trappings of the original franchise so if they do go with NT again I hope they really go all out with a reboot, it will make it an easier pill to swallow then a DMC Lite. Hopefully open world then Im definitely on board.

If they move to UE4, I like to think anything's possible. Though, I'm not sure of them adopting an openworld. I could see a more open mission structure, letting multiple missions be available at any given moment, with the exception of certain plot-relevant missions. They'd have to balance the enemies to account for any order you might use, but they could segment them with the story missions as to not have so many available at once that balance becomes unmanagable.

Chamber said:
I agree. If they're going to pander to fans they may as well hand the series back over to Capcom.

If Capcom actually follows through with their hiring schedule, it would appear that way more titles are planned on being developed in house in the future.

Dahbomb

Man that trailer music for DMC3 is the biggest nostalgia bomb for me. Back when it came out Linkin Park was near the height of its popularity so everyone associated that trailer song with LP style music.

I still am left baffled as to how Capcom made DMC3 after DMC2. It's a gaming miracle.

Deitus

Too bad they had Vergil 3 playing during such an unhype boss.

Maybe so, but it was several times better without that awful music that normally plays in the fight, and even more so with the fantastic Vergil 3.

I just watched the cutscenes for Vergil's Downfall, and I don't understand at all why people have been saying it improves Vergil as a character.
He comes off to me as a little bitch with an inferiority complex for his brother. And instead using this as an opportunity of fleshing out his character, his motives, and his ideologies, he spent the whole time killing figments of his imagination that taunted him. And then at the end, he just goes full evil, so that in the next game instead of having a deep but flawed character who is ideologically opposed to Dante, he can just be a completely unsympathetic generic evil villain.

If anything this makes me less interested to see where a sequel would go. At this point, the only way they could redeem him as an interesting villain in my eyes is if they just went all out and made him completely unhinged, twisted, and sadistic. If this is the direction they are taking him, he will never be DMC3 Vergil, but if they made him the polar opposite of that (except still a villain of course) it would at least be an interesting new direction for this series.

Maybe so, but it was several times better without that awful music that normally plays in the fight, and even more so with the fantastic Vergil 3.

I just watched the cutscenes for Vergil's Downfall, and I don't understand at all why people have been saying it improves Vergil as a character.
He comes off to me as a little bitch with an inferiority complex for his brother. And instead using this as an opportunity of fleshing out his character, his motives, and his ideologies, he spent the whole time killing figments of his imagination that taunted him. And then at the end, he just goes full evil, so that in the next game instead of having a deep but flawed character who is ideologically opposed to Dante, he can just be a completely unsympathetic generic evil villain.

If anything this makes me less interested to see where a sequel would go. At this point, the only way they could redeem him as an interesting villain in my eyes is if they just went all out and made him completely unhinged, twisted, and sadistic. If this is the direction they are taking him, he will never be DMC3 Vergil, but if they made him the polar opposite of that (except still a villain of course) it would at least be an interesting new direction for this series.

Yeah, I just finished and I'm gonna have to agree with you here for the most part.

Oh well. I liked the changeup in playstyle though; enough at least to play on the other difficulties. The teleporting was a little jarring at first, but his strikes feel a tad more deliberate and precise than what Dante's were.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Yeah. This is pretty much how I feel. I feel like fans of the old series got what they wanted pretty much out of it. As for me, I just feel like this was a wasted opportunity and fails to really make Vergil as someone different than what has already been done.

Lijik

Who the hell would want to play as Kat? Her game play gimmick would involve spraying enemies. This would be better in an adventure game made by NT but for a DMC game as she is vastly ill equipped. Only human I would ever want to play as in a DMC game would be Lady and even then she would get short changed in the abilities and close quarter combat department.

As some weird side DLC i wouldnt mind. The Pigsy's Perfect 10 DLC in Enslaved from what I saw of it was some weird stealth thing totally different from the main game and that looked pretty alright. I guess Im looking at this more from the perspective of "I like fun video games" as opposed to just "i like fun action games" though

I doubt they're going to keep releasing DLC for this game, but Vergil in Bloody Palace and some weird offshoot Kat DLC would be nice in the future.

danmaku

As some weird side DLC i wouldnt mind. The Pigsy's Perfect 10 DLC in Enslaved from what I saw of it was some weird stealth thing totally different from the main game and that looked pretty alright. I guess Im looking at this more from the perspective of "I like fun video games" as opposed to just "i like fun action games" though

I doubt they're going to keep releasing DLC for this game, but Vergil in Bloody Palace and some weird offshoot Kat DLC would be nice in the future.

Just make a new Jet Set Radio with Kat!

Sephzilla

Someone tell me what does DmC abbreviate for? It can't be Devil May Cry because the designated abbreviation is DMC.

It's a stupid way to title the game because it's a redundant title. (A joke I heard from a few people was that it has to call itself Devil May Cry twice in order to convince you its a Devil May Cry game, which seemed cute).

It's really only titled this way because if Capcom ever wants to jump back to the proper Devil May Cry universe it will be less confusing to gamers (because the drastically different main character wouldn't give that away).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You don't even get to fight "Dante" in Vergil's Downfall? Totally lame. Then again, it'd probably just be a bad fight considering DmC's Vergil fight.

Don't really care for Vergil's inferiority complex in it since it doesn't really match what happened in DmC, nor does it match Vergil's upbringing.

His hair is hilarious and the ending is silly.

Sephzilla

I need to sit down and Youtube this sometime to see what the story is like. There seems to be a slightly more uniformed opinion about Downfall's quality as apposed to the full game's quality.

I didn't even know Yahtzee weighed in on it...

8535810666_b8c6eb5986_o.gif

Sorian

Banned
Does anyone have a Vergil's downfall code for 360 they'd be willing to part with? I'm kind of bummed because I don't still have the receipt with my code since I entered it on that website day 1 and they said I'd be getting an e-mail which looks to be false now :/ If i do end up getting a code, I'd be willing to pay it forward however you'd like, I just really wanted to play this.

Does anyone have a Vergil's downfall code for 360 they'd be willing to part with? I'm kind of bummed because I don't still have the receipt with my code since I entered it on that website day 1 and they said I'd be getting an e-mail which looks to be false now :/ If i do end up getting a code, I'd be willing to pay it forward however you'd like, I just really wanted to play this.

I got a code. I'll PM it to you.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that was like a punch in the gut reminding me how much better 3's music was. Not really meaning this in a "DUR HUR DmC IS TEH SUX" way, but just in a "Capcom's always had pretty good music" way.

I really loved DmC's soundtrack with some minor exceptions, but DMC3 had the incredible Beowulf music track. Ughhhhhh so good.

Sephzilla

I really loved DmC's soundtrack with some minor exceptions, but DMC3 had the incredible Beowulf music track. Ughhhhhh so good.

It's really just personal taste at this point but I thought DmC's soundtrack was pretty annoying. I attribute DmC's soundtrack to a bunch of dogs barking into a microphone while fairly bland music plays in the background. (Aka, that style of music just isn't my thing).

I preferred the old games mixes of techno, rock, and orchestral. Which is probably why I liked Revengeances soundtrack since it was a mix of those first two things.

Like I said, liking DmC's music is definitely just a personal preference thing.

I don't mind the look (spoilers there I guess...?). I did like the old V's blue coat better, but this one is cool too.

Now if we can get rid of that borderline delusional inferiority complex...

It's been too long since I played Dark Slayer on the Special Edition so I don't feel comfortable comparing the two. Might break it out just to see though.

Khal_B

I don't mind the look (spoilers there I guess...?). I did like the old V's blue coat better, but this one is cool too.

It's strange that Dante has his DMC3 costume and Vergil doesn't. Seems like a no brainer since DMC3 fans would quickly jump on it. Paid DLC in the future maybe? Dunno but playing through the main game in Dante's old digs made the game seemingly more fun for me.

Sorian

Banned
Props to this guy right here. Downloading now and will talk about impressions later :D

Alright just got through on nephilim. Once they gave you everything for Vergil he definitely started to play better because with just normal yamato and angel attacks, I was getting my ass handed to me. Overall though, I didn't like how he played. He seemed clunkier for no reason and trying to dodge out of a move was like a crap shoot. They did make it easy mode to farm style points with that move that let the swords swirl around you. As far as design I was digging the beat up Vergil a lot. Once he went
SSJ
Vergil, I think he just looked silly but maybe to each their own. I also wasn't digging the animated art style for the cutscenes. What else? Oh boss spoilers
I though it was kind of a shame that the one boss for the DLC was just a rehash of Vergil himself. A couple new mechanics but really nothing note-worthy and once you could attack him, his health dropped like a rock.

As far as story goes, nothing major which was to be expected.
Like somebody said a couple days ago in the impressions thread, it was really just a way to set up a DMC 3 reboot. Vergil has went full on maniac and the demons are following him now

Oh, and traversal as Vergil? Fuck that. The sword mechanics seemed slow and could often miss. The angel lifts and demon pulls were fine except for the delay where you don't know where the sword is going but the invisible platforms mechanic was obnoxious since I was having issues where the sword wouldn't auto target.

Overall though, I did like it. Probably not worth full price but it was nice seeing this combat through another lens even if I wasn't too stellar at it and I always love me some Vergil.

KePoW

Banned
Can someone post a list of specific enemy strats? Like what weapon and moves are best against them.

I just beat the game on normal difficulty and I'm not that good at these types of games. But I love the gameplay, I just don't want to spend lots of time figuring out strats on my own.

Mike M

Nick N
Can someone post a list of specific enemy strats? Like what weapon and moves are best against them.

I'm sure others will offer differing opinions but:

I just beat the game on normal difficulty and I'm not that good at these types of games. But I love the gameplay, I just don't want to spend lots of time figuring out strats on my own.

Stygians of all levels: Cannon fodder. Even the Elite Stygian is basically just a gimped Knight sans shield. Everything works on them.

Knights: Smash Hell Knight/Dark Knight shields with Arbiter or Eryx. Hell Knights are actually easier to beat, since they spend so much time doing their inferno attack, which you're completely immune to while you're in demon mode. Frost Knights are a little trickier since they're only vulnerable to angel weapons, which do pitiful damage. Use Osiris's prop and shredder moves to break their shields, then launch them in the air and juggle them infinitely until they die.

Pathos/Bathos: Grapple their shields away (If they have them), then shotgun them to the face. Prop will reflect Bathos' bombs back into their face.

Ravager: These guys get super armor a lot, but a fully charged Drive, detonating four Explodey darts, or a Round Trip will knock them out of it. Individually not difficult, but they can be a pain as parts of larger groups. Juggle them ASAP, keep them airborne so they never rev up their super armor attack.

Tyrant: They can be grappled from behind, unless they're enraged. A fully charged Eryx uppercut will knock them out of their super armor state and launch them for juggles, but the timing was always wonky for me. I would always demon pull from behind, and then Trinity Smash their heads while they got back up. They lose their super armor if they dash into a wall, so I'd always try and arrange that. Detonating four darts will strip them of it too, but you don't get that gun until way late in the game.

Witch: Round trip was made to break their shields. Alternately, Prop/Shredder works if you don't have Aquilla yet, and you can demon pull her summoned swords and knock them back at her to smash her shield and deal some damage. High priority enemy, you should target them first since they have a nasty habit of transferring their shield to other enemies. They can be hit just as they detonate their shield to nulify the explosion and stun them, but I rarely ever get that close to trigger it unless they're already stunned.

Rage: Almost always appear in pairs, the second will go into super armor mode if the first dies. Try to damage them equitably if you can, I personally just pin them down with round trip, then do Trinity Smash, and Round Trip them again.

Blood Rage: Only vulnerable to demon weapons, so Round Trip isn't an option. I usually just whale on them with demon weapons, which hit hard enough to keep them off their game if you demon pull them right back and hit them some more.

Ghost Rage: Fuck these guys. Pin them with Round Trip, switch to Osiris and hit them for a bit, then reup your Round Trip, switch back to Osiris. Repeat until dead.

Harpies: Shotgun will tear their wings off in a couple hits. They will regenerate though, so be sure to try and kill them while you have the opportunity.

Butcher: I'm pretty sure they can be juggled by a fully charged Eryx too, but I don't usually bother. You can bait their projectile saw blade attack by hanging back at the right distance, and then just use Prop to reflect them right back at him to stun. Run in and do a Trinity Smash or Eryx punches, fall back when the saws replace themselves.. They explode for damage when defeated, so fall back when he starts screaming and staggering around.

Dreamrunner: Bait a teleport, then fully charge up a Snake Eyes (Forward, forward, Melee with Eryx), let it rip when the portal reopens and he tries to jump you. Follow it up with a few more hits, and repeat.

Dahbomb

I will post some enemy specific strats maybe tomorrow but for right now...

Rueben Langdon was Stunt Coordinator on Tomb Raider. Uncle Dante lives...

KePoW

Banned
Thanks Mike M and Dahbomb! This will really help a casual player like me to enjoy a second playthrough.

I died on Normal like twenty times total.

The replacement was Rising Star. Not as good imho.

I can agree. I prefer charging it to get Solar Flare. Atomic is quite awesome as well. They lift everything off of the ground, and you can keep the tougher enemies in the air with the first two hits if aerial rave and orbit repeatedly. Even works on the boss when you launch him.

Also, in training mode there seems to be a combo that you can't do. I think the standard Y Y Y is called slasher. When you switch the menu to angel mode, the title changes to Lunar Phase. When you hold down angel mode and Y you get rapid slash. Is Lunar Phase just a left-over or something?

Top Bottom