• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

Or they can just add Turbo mode, a sprint ability, reduce some of the hit pauses and tweak with the frame data a bit. You can already play Vergil faster than Dante because of the way the frame data on his pulls, summoned swords and teleports work.

You can't say the game is garbage in one sentence and say you love it in another. That shows frustration at the systems you otherwise love.

I understand the sentiment but it's more that the game mechanics (particularly camera) aren't up to the encounter design and player demand on those difficulties. I love the game but think it's garbage at the higher difficulties, much like a baseball player could love the game but hate "Super Baseball" where there's 3 pitchers at once :sportsanalogies:

I was wrong about this game, its fucking amazing. My 2nd favourite DMC game after 3.
This would be a much more common occurance itt if anyone actually bought the game :I

If Capcom does go for DmC2, I think it actually needs to be less like a DMC game. Just up the spectacle and improve the setpieces, narrow down the story to make it more focused, make the mechanics even more direct, etc. DmC was trying to be too many things for too many people.

I understand the sentiment but it's more that the game mechanics (particularly camera) aren't up to the encounter design and player demand on those difficulties. I love the game but think it's garbage at the higher difficulties, much like a baseball player could love the game but hate "Super Baseball" where there's 3 pitchers at once :sportsanalogies:

This would be a much more common occurance itt if anyone actually bought the game :I

It's perfectly serviceable and pretty fun on revengeance difficulty, since the parry counter got such a buff. I still prefer Very Hard since it's potentially a less one-dimensional experience, but revengeance does have an urgency to it that I quite enjoy. Claiming that it's garbage on higher difficulties just because it has a shit camera is hyperbolic to say the least.

There has been a disturbing lack of tech for MGR, though. Only parry canceled evade, evade canceled parry, and pincer charging parry have been legitimately interesting. It's a bigger tech drought than DmC.

Dahbomb

If Capcom does go for DmC2, I think it actually needs to be less like a DMC game. Just up the spectacle and improve the setpieces, narrow down the story to make it more focused, make the mechanics even more direct, etc. DmC was trying to be too many things for too many people.
Pretty sure if DmC2 comes out it will be more "tuned to fan expectations". It will still have that NT coating on it but it will be more in line with a regular DMC game meaning 60FPS, OG looking Dante and other stuff. They can take a different approach with the level design but they aren't going to fuck with the character design or the combat system any time soon.

Korigama

Pretty sure if DmC2 comes out it will be more "tuned to fan expectations". It will still have that NT coating on it but it will be more in line with a regular DMC game meaning 60FPS, OG looking Dante and other stuff. They can take a different approach with the level design but they aren't going to fuck with the character design or the combat system any time soon.
Would either of these things even work, though? In the currently (extremely) unlikely scenario of them being stubborn enough to push on and continue in this direction for the franchise, there doesn't seem like there's any way that they can win with DmC. If they move even further away from making it anything like a Devil May Cry while insisting on keeping the name, or even if they go out of their way to pander to the original fans by trying as hard as they can to make it like the older games while ignoring the fact that it's just more of the characters, style, tone, and lore of a universe that very group didn't want in the first place instead of just returning to the old series, it would only lead to even more resentment for DmC for succeeding in replacing DMC in spite of the former's rejection by consumers.

Neither option seems particularly practical from a business perspective.

It's perfectly serviceable and pretty fun on revengeance difficulty, since the parry counter got such a buff. I still prefer Very Hard since it's potentially a less one-dimensional experience, but revengeance does have an urgency to it that I quite enjoy. Claiming that it's garbage on higher difficulties just because it has a shit camera is hyperbolic to say the least.

There has been a disturbing lack of tech for MGR, though. Only parry canceled evade, evade canceled parry, and pincer charging parry have been legitimately interesting. It's a bigger tech drought than DmC.

Not really. How much tech is there for the Ninja gaiden series? Shrinken cancel? On landing? The fact is MGR is way closer to a Ninja gaiden game than a DMC.

There will legitimately be more tech in the new GOW game than Rising.

Just got the game so I can't really appreciate the technical aspects of this video, but still wow! Stylistically it looked amazing, anymore videos this good, anybody?

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=513790

So, I caved and looked at some of the Vergil combo videos, and I dunno if it's all the teleporting and spiral swords, but his moves look awesome. Why can't it be Tuesday? :(

Would either of these things even work, though? In the currently (extremely) unlikely scenario of them being stubborn enough to push on and continue in this direction for the franchise, there doesn't seem like there's any way that they can win with DmC. If they move even further away from making it anything like a Devil May Cry while insisting on keeping the name, or even if they go out of their way to pander to the original fans by trying as hard as they can to make it like the older games while ignoring the fact that it's just more of the characters, style, tone, and lore of a universe that very group didn't want in the first place instead of just returning to the old series, it would only lead to even more resentment for DmC for succeeding in replacing DMC in spite of the former's rejection by consumers.

Neither option seems particularly practical from a business perspective.
Working backwards til they essentially make DMC3 in UE3 (or whatever off-the-shelf next gen engine NT adopts) only makes sense if they're trying to ease new players into the franchise, but since they already scrapped all the lore and half the series staples I don't really see what they're going to be easing people into. Capcom's whole attitude towards the reboot is that a lot of what fans like in DMC is also what keeps it from penetrating a larger market, it's just strange for them to not follow up on it. If the market they want is interested in spectacle and stories, but not the mechanical nuances that define DMC, it seems like that's what they should focus more on. As much as some people might demand it, there's no reason for DmC to be both DMC5 and God of War.
Not really. How much tech is there for the Ninja gaiden series? Shrinken cancel? On landing? The fact is MGR is way closer to a Ninja gaiden game than a DMC.

There will legitimately be more tech in the new GOW game than Rising.

I figured there might be interesting applications for blade mode, but so far I've yet to see any. I guess since there's already so much overpowered stuff built into the game like wigs and upgraded swords and ripper mode that would outclass any mechanical tricks people might come up with.

Dahbomb

There is no reason why a DMC game can't have the presentation or the spectacle of a GOW game. It just shouldn't come at the expense of the game play, series staples, aesthetics and performance. DmC changed a lot when it really only needed to change a few elements of the series to deliver a superior game.

Thoughts, are you getting NG3: RE on PS3?

I'm weak, I might get that shit :/

Yep. Looking forward to it too. I genuinely had fun with some parts of NG3 and Razors edge deals with all of my main issues with the title.

People say DmC got a hard rap but I think NG3 got way worse. It's a subpar NG no doubt, but it was never a 3/10.

that said, I still can't see razors edge making it a great game, just a servicable one.

Anteater

The game really is pretty accessible, I could pull off cool shit and I'm not a DMC hardcore player and it is fun to play in general, sure some enemies and bosses are poop but overall I think it's similar to bayonetta with how easy it is to get into.

And I don't think the game is as easy as some put it, I thought bayo was the easier game, but harder to get good ranks.

Mike M

Nick N
I beat DMC1 back in the day, never played DMC2, got roflstomped so hard in the begining of DMC3 that I gave up after dying repeatedly on the second mission. I beat DMC4, but honestly I don't remember at what difficulty (I know I had it on automatic because there was one secret mission where I had to kill a bunch of enemies without touching the ground or something and I found it impossible to target them without it, but I don't know if "automatic" was available on anything but Easy). After DmC and Revengence though, I'm willing to return to the older games and give them another shot.

HD collection is below $16 on Amazon, fucking sold.

Dahbomb

People's egos have always prevented them from enjoying a DMC game. If you couldn't beat a DMC game of the past then you were most likely too proud to play on the game's Easy mode. The only real exception is the DMC3 NA version but after the release of the SE version there is no DMC game that is too hard to beat by a regular gamer even in today's age.

There is no shame in playing on Easy mode first. Some people take longer to get to grips with a system but after a while they will be good enough to beat even DMD mode.

V_Arnold

Vergil's Downfall is most likely the best hack'n'slash "experience" I have had in this generation. And I pretty much keep replaying Bayonetta over and over again.

If beside Vergil there was a female character, preferrably a stylish one (Kat or good ol' Trish), it would be easily GOTY2013 material for me. But even as it is right now, it is absolutely mindblowing how enjoyable, fast, boundless and dynamic the combat has become with the doppleganger, the fast demon attacks, the swords....

(I do not get why this story is supposed to be good. The parts with
Eva
were heavily cringeworthy.)

Edit: Also, give us Bloody Palace Vergil, please. Uninterrupted awesomeness, that would be.

Dahbomb

Vergil doesn't need a female side kick. Him being a loner is part of the characters appeal.

Also the hyperbole in that post is a bit over the top. It's good but not that good. Not enough meat on the bones to be GOTY anything.

V_Arnold

Vergil doesn't need a female side kick. Him being a loner is part of the characters appeal.

Also the hyperbole in that post is a bit over the top. It's good but not that good. Not enough meat on the bones to be GOTY anything.

Yeah, it is as over top as Vergil's attacks in this iteration :D

I did not mean sidekick, but one more playable character as a DLC (even the interface have space for it, below Dante's and Vergil's story), or part of this dlc :)

V_Arnold

Gamestop pls ;_;

Also, would this hypothetical character be another new character or a re-imagining of one of the older ones?

Hah, I keep wishing for a playable magic-based Kat, if a sequel is ever happening to DmC. That would be amazing if executed properly (And also not something that have been done too many times. Bayonetta is kinda magic-based, but take away her forms, the wicked weaves and summons, and she could still kick ass. Never give Kat that kind of power, and bam, there is a real danger to players :)

Yeah, I'm getting nervous about this. Why couldn't it have been like Rising and just had the code on the receipt?!

Speaking of which, that code never worked for me sadly. Grey Fox and his blade shall remain in the marketplace for me.

And it does seem like a roundabout way of doing it, no?

V_Arnold said:
Hah, I keep wishing for a playable magic-based Kat, if a sequel is ever happening to DmC. That would be amazing if executed properly (And also not something that have been done too many times. Bayonetta is kinda magic-based, but take away her forms, the wicked weaves and summons, and she could still kick ass. Never give Kat that kind of power, and bam, there is a real danger to players :)

I've never considered a playable Kat tbh. I'd figure we'd get DmCTrish/Lady to fill that gap. But I could see Kat working, though.

Dahbomb

Who the hell would want to play as Kat? Her game play gimmick would involve spraying enemies. This would be better in an adventure game made by NT but for a DMC game as she is vastly ill equipped. Only human I would ever want to play as in a DMC game would be Lady and even then she would get short changed in the abilities and close quarter combat department.

Lady would have to be in a TPS spin-off or something. Or at least cameo in RE Mercenaries as a skin. I'd pay for it.

Also, I heard Trish was unlockable in DMC2. I dare not play it long enough to get her, but how did that go?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Trish was more fun to use than Dante or Lucia. Not saying much obviously.

I would love to use Trish in a proper DMC game.

V_Arnold

Who the hell would want to play as Kat? Her game play gimmick would involve spraying enemies. This would be better in an adventure game made by NT but for a DMC game as she is vastly ill equipped. Only human I would ever want to play as in a DMC game would be Lady and even then she would get short changed in the abilities and close quarter combat department.

She would not exist in a vacuum between DmC1/2, obviously. If we go with the ending of DmC 1, things would be revealed, demons and magic included. That would open up new possibilities to any psychic, and it is a natural development from requiring tools and making slow rituals to fast casts and powerful effects achieved just by focusing one's intent :p

Graffiti Kat would really only fit a different type of game, you are right about that. Jet Set Radio DmC! :D

Trish was more fun to use than Dante or Lucia. Not saying much obviously.

I would love to use Trish in a proper DMC game.

Or this. Trish ftw!

Then, I shall wish for red-headed DmCTrish in the future, then. :D

Though, I still think it was weird that we got Trish in UMvC3 as opposed to Lady, since they seemed to be pulling mostly from DMC3 for representing that franchise.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
She would not exist in a vacuum between DmC1/2, obviously. If we go with the ending of DmC 1, things would be revealed, demons and magic included. That would open up new possibilities to any psychic, and it is a natural development from requiring tools and making slow rituals to fast casts and powerful effects achieved just by focusing one's intent :p

Graffiti Kat would really only fit a different type of game, you are right about that. Jet Set Radio DmC! :D

I'm willing to bet Kat is going to get up close and personal with Yamato if you know what I mean. She came between Dante and Vergil and I doubt he's going to let her off the hook. Besides, Dante needs something to trigger his own SSJ transformation.

Dahbomb

I would be OK with Vergil pulling a Sephiroth. Might as well come full circle. Actually I hope out happens in the first 1/4th of the game setting the tone for the rest of the game.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I would be OK with Vergil pulling a Sephiroth. Might as well come full circle. Actually I hope out happens in the first 1/4th of the game setting the tone for the rest of the game.

Vergil killing Kat would allow him to give his "Might controls all" speech. I can see it coming.

Dahbomb

If Vergil kills Kat, it'll just close the loop on the story that everyone predicted a week before the game came out.
Yea I predicted Vergil killing off Kat and that would enrage Dante into his DT. Too bad that didn't pan out, maybe they will save it for a sequel.

OSHAN

Finished the game over the weekend, and started SoS right after. I'm most certainly hoping for a sequel, and I"ll be getting the DLC tomorrow. Nice work, Ninja Theory.

Yea I predicted Vergil killing off Kat and that would enrage Dante into his DT. Too bad that didn't pan out, maybe they will save it for a sequel.

OG Vergil was kind of a douche in his pursuit for POWAH, and killing her would be right up his alley. As for DmCSSJVergil, he sure looks like he's getting there, but I guess I'll find out more tomorrow.

Endo Punk

The next game should deal with lizard people. The president and all world leaders are lizard people and now with Mundus out the way they can rise and take control of humans. Would be edgy as fuck :p

But seriously I totally see them redoing DMC3, which begs the question. Why use NT?

V_Arnold

The next game should deal with lizard people. The president and all world leaders are lizard people and now with Mundus out the way they can rise and take control of humans. Would be edgy as fuck :p

But seriously I totally see them redoing DMC3, which begs the question. Why use NT?

Because the original team was and is busy working on Dragon's Dogma/Deep Down instead? Do we have to act out this dance again and again? :D

Top Bottom