• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

sleepykyo

Not a joke, not some bad writing. Simply a component for a spell. (And animal parts, yes, including semen, is a tradition for witchcraft, depending the tradition or the comical/mythical angle.)

Kat >>>>>>>>> Lady. Trish is still Trish, though. :D

Should have demonic instead. Dante can help donate.

V_Arnold

The shotgun is also really, really useful in this one. It has aoe-hitting capabilities, as it should (great for hitting the small spiders that give orbs, for example, or other, ******* enemies), has a great animation/sound to it - I will definitely prefer it to the pistols.

Oh, and I almost forget: deals tons of damage too. Compared to the upgraded pistols.

Edit: Why did Ezekial get banned?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't know man if I cared about being spoiled of a DMC game I would stay clear of forums too.

Just saying, he could have just hit the logout button and stopped coming here for a few days.

I'm not too bothered about being spoiled. Without context it doesn't mean too much.

I feel the same but I know some are hyper sensitive about spoilers. Personally? It's DMC, I feel more spoiled by gameplay videos than cutscenes.

This game is out? I read the PC version is 60fps but what are the experiences of you guys who bought it on PS3/360? I was pretty turned off by the demo (lame cursing/color palette/frame-rate/lock-on/one button directional moves) and wanted to know what has been adjusted/improved with the final release. I know NT know how to tell a good story and get some emotion going, but really wanted some in dept stuff on the combat. May still get this on sale down the road.

V_Arnold

Oh by the way, the leaderboards are nice. I am sure the demon dodge folks will get to first place in all levels, all difficulties soon enough, but until then, it not only checks rank, but point as well. (Obviously).

If anyone does not know, or if it was different in the demo, here is the ranking system:
First, you get the combat scores (that is the base), then you get it multiplied by the time spent (by ranking - S is 6*, SS is 7*, A is 5*, etc), and then you get it multiplied by the exploration as well. So someone who "glitched" the combat but did not explore everything will end up being way lower compared to someone who has a great exploration and an overall good combat score.

Every death gives a penalty to it, 10% per death, but that is capped on 30%. Even if you die more, the final score will be a*b*c*(death penalty). So it DOES matter if you die or not.

Dahbomb

.. they're just playing the demo. It's not even the full game.
They were playing the full game before.

If anyone does not know, or if it was different in the demo, here is the ranking system:
First, you get the combat scores (that is the base), then you get it multiplied by the time spent (by ranking - S is 6*, SS is 7*, A is 5*, etc), and then you get it multiplied by the exploration as well. So someone who "glitched" the combat but did not explore everything will end up being way lower compared to someone who has a great exploration and an overall good combat score.
But you still get SSS for flunking the other categories. There should've been no cap on deaths, having 10 deaths should be an automatic 0/D rank.

It's hard to say right now if beating the game fast with decent style points is more effective or beating the game slow but with a shit ton of style points. I am pretty sure it's the latter because you can farm 2 million style points in the demo and I have not been able to get that much playing fast or the "right way".

Well f*k. Seems I might have to buy this now.
Can someone who has the game please comment on the following:

1) Difficulty: how good is the AI / enemy difficulty. Are there any regular enemies that make you feel like "damn, I want to fight that".

2) DMC4 had some of the lamest bosses. Except for Credo. That boss was exceptional. Does anything compare in DmC

3) How is the atmosphere? I find the atmosphere was completely random in DMC4, as the enemies seemed like they didn't all belong in the same world. DMC3 was better in this respect that it had this excellent Gothic feel. Where is DmC in this respect?

4) How long is this game (I read 13 hours somewhere - maybe even here)? Is there any other modes (again - I read about some bloody palace thing). Are there any other playable characters - basically I'm hoping to play this for at least 50 hours.

5) How are people going about buying this? I am thinking getting it for PC + steam, mostly because cheaper and no taxes. Is there any major incentives to buy it elsewhere?

Thanks for anyone who bothers to reply.

- Cheers

Dahbomb

1) Difficulty: how good is the AI / enemy difficulty. Are there any regular enemies that make you feel like "damn, I want to fight that".
It's not that great, about as good as previous DMC games (3 and 4). The fodder enemies are dumb but at higher difficulties they block more and attack more. Some of the later enemies do have that feel of "damn I want to fight that", one of which is the Drakavac enemies. But aside from that the enemies don't look that impressive, they get the job done. The problem is that quite a few enemies have really bad "gimmicks" to them that stunt creative combat in that you are required to use specific weapons to even damage them.

2) DMC4 had some of the lamest bosses. Except for Credo. That boss was exceptional. Does anything compare in DmC
From what I have seen no. The final boss appears to be the best one but the rest are big sized enemies similar to DMC4. Nothing in the game looks as good as Credo Angelo.. hell nothing in the game looks as good as Berial or Dante either.

3) How is the atmosphere? I find the atmosphere was completely random in DMC4, as the enemies seemed like they didn't all belong in the same world. DMC3 was better in this respect that it had this excellent Gothic feel. Where is DmC in this respect?

I feel like the enemies do belong in the game, they match up with the environment well. As far as gothic feel go there is pretty much none of that in DmC, it is a completely different type of atmosphere now.

4) How long is this game (I read 13 hours somewhere - maybe even here)? Is there any other modes (again - I read about some bloody palace thing). Are there any other playable characters - basically I'm hoping to play this for at least 50 hours.
I have read anywhere from 6 hours to 15 hours. Latest number was 7:30. I think the game has decent length. There is a Bloody Palace mode and higher difficulties. Vergil is playable as a DLC (if you pre-order it then its free) and he has his own levels. I think you can easily clock 50 hours on the game with the number of difficulty modes available.

5) How are people going about buying this? I am thinking getting it for PC + steam,
Yeah I am getting it through that too. There's a GMG sale for DmC that you can get it for $40, just look in this thread a few pages back for the coupon code.

Thanks very much Dahbomb, those were some excellent answers.
I will definitely check out the GMG site - $40 is a nice price for a new game like this.

I recommend the OP add some of these answers to the first post.
- cheers!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
just finished the game...

its not even nearly as bad as everyone thinks it will be.

the ending was shitty tho.

I still had fun, solid game, and yes, WAY better than DMC2, but not as good as dmc 1/3/4.

definately worth playing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I still had fun, solid game, and yes, WAY better than DMC2, but not as good as dmc 1/3/4.

Bolded is basically what we're all expecting.

What was your playtime?

Dahbomb

So basically what most reasonable people expected.

I put it in the first time you asked. :/

Just probably doesn't stand out with all the images, spaced it out a bit.
Sorry didn't see it for some reason. Thanks for putting it in.

Except Lady is approximately 20 gazillion times a better designed character (both of them).

hMiVT.gif

cosign, 100%

Top Bottom