• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Carbonox

Honestly, I think the nightclub mission is fucking sublime. The presentation, music and insanity of it are great. I get a Rez feeling from it.

My favourite in the game by far.

Spoiler regarding certain enemy type:

The elemental Rage enemies are twats though. The blue ones can be dealt with easily due to Round Trip but the red ones are total dicks. All I've been doing is ensuring that they're off camera, then initiate a Trinity Smash and hope the third hit hits the red Rage when he stumbles in to the camera view. As they don't attack off camera, it's kinda handy and the Trinity Smash is OP as it is. Of course Devil Trigger also allows you to bypass the elements and use any weapons on them which speeds things up.

Dahbomb

Nightclub mission is best mission. Well except for the whole Dances with Stars parody they got going in the midst of it.

Also you might wanna spoiler tag those enemies impressions. I don't think people know about them, at least I didn't when I encountered them.

GolazoDan

807503965_rBNbP-L.jpg
This is true. TELL ME ABOUT THE NUMBERS (ALL THE NUMBERS).

I really suck at platforming.

Besides that it seems like a good game.

I like the combat, especially when it picks up once you get stuff like Arbiter

I like the new enemy designs a lot.

and brace yourselves Gaf....

I...

*GASP*

Like Dante.

Yes he's Dante.

Target audience BULLSEYE!

Dahbomb

Sounds like DmC is going to make a fairly decent rental. Hopefully my gamefly copy shows up tomorrow.
It's an excellent rental. I would be hard pressed to justify the $60 price tag on consoles but this is a very easy recommendation as a rental.

I really think that even the "haters" should at least be renting the game. I don't think Capcom/NT gets money off of rentals so people should try to at least do that. Hey you never know... you might actually dig it.

V_Arnold

Sessler ruined an EVO finals for me with his dumb shit - I wont read his review :p

It's an excellent rental. I would be hard pressed to justify the $60 price tag on consoles but this is a very easy recommendation as a rental.

At this point, I would be hard pressed to justify the 40$ price of the PC as the 60fps (200fps, feel of 400, yeah) is the only pro, cons being Bloody Palace and Vergil's Downfall only talked about, without any information regarding release, price, etc.

I am pretty sure that the console versions will get both DLC's at least a few weeks faster, if not months.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's not a bad review but I couldn't care less about it. DMC is just not Sessler's kind of game. It's like me reviewing Starcraft 2 or something.

Duelist

Hard to argue with $35 for DmC on PC at launch. Done and done.

Considering picking up DMC4 to brush up on my demon-slaying (and instant revving) till next week. :p

Dahbomb

Yeah the Sessler review is about as relevant to me as the GB Brad review. Both reviewers never really gave a crap about the DMC series before. The major difference between the two was that Sessler hated the story and Brad enjoyed it.

Yes I didn't enjoy the story much but even if the story was godlike I would not have given it a much better score than what I have. Maybe 8.5 at best. Similarly if the story was one of the worst gaming stories I have ever witnessed, the game would've still gotten an 8 from me.

Riposte

Sessler's review is mainly focused on obnoxious writing, one which implies a similar disapproval for past DMCs. If DMC fans are clustering towards him just because of its low score, I would like to see their reaction if he were to openly express how he feels about the series as a whole.

I kind of like him for being a small part of my childhood/adolescence, but I really think the Sess says some of the dumbest shit (especially when the word "art" is floating around). So putting aside his opinion on individual games, I rather not listen to him speak seriously. (He is funny though, like his comment about the TV level.)

Dahbomb

Sessler's review is mainly focused on obnoxious writing, one which implies a similar disapproval for past DMCs. If DMC fans are clustering towards him just because of its low score, I would like to see their reaction if he were to openly express how he feels about the series as a whole.
I am pretty sure he has rated DMC3/DMC4 low before. This whole championing of Sessler among the DMC fanbase is very curious to me.

Although to be fair he does bring up some good non-story related points in his review.

Afrocious

Maybe I'm being shortsighted and could do more research, but are there any reviews from folks that have enjoyed the past DMC games? I read Dahbomb's which was fine but I'm sure running into a lot of folks who make a point to say they weren't fans of the past games or partial to OG Dante.

Finished Son of Sparda today and have 100% completion on all missions. Not sure if I should do DMD next or if I should try and get SSS on all Nephilim missions.

Riposte

How do unlockable difficulties work again?

I actually wouldn't be surprised if I end up liking the game to some extent. Sort of how I liked Castlevania: Lord of the Shadows. The thing is LoS had that cool magic (/healing) system which sold me on it, whereas DmC seems to pile on gimmicks to get by.

Dahbomb

Maybe I'm being shortsighted and could do more research, but are there any reviews from folks that have enjoyed the past DMC games? I read Dahbomb's which was fine but I'm sure running into a lot of folks who make a point to say they weren't fans of the past games or partial to OG Dante.
I haven't seen many reviews like that either but I feel the Gamespot and Eurogamer reviews were quite fair in their assessment of the pros and cons of the game:

Gamespot's Review

Eurogamer Review

The Eurogamer review especially references other action games especially when talking about bosses... even Godhand.

How do unlockable difficulties work again?
3 difficulties are unlocked from the start. Beating any unlocks SoS. Beating SoS unlocks DMD and then the HOH difficulties. You get Super Dante for beating DMD.

Riposte

WTF lol. How many difficulties are there? Sounds like there are four unlockable difficulties? Then again Bayonetta was almost as crazy.

Dahbomb

WTF lol. How many difficulties are there? Sounds like there are four unlockable difficulties? Then again Bayonetta was almost as crazy.
Human, DH, Nephilim, SoS, DMD, Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell.

The first 3 are essentially the same as far as I am concerned, you basically start on Nephilim as default usually. SoS is like Hard for the game, DMD is most likely the hardest. Heaven or Hell is a joke difficulty and Hell or Hell even though you die in one hit you can opt to use Super Dante. Even then I don't think the waves are as hard as DMD mode.... although I haven't heard any news about it.

OMG, The Drekavac...

More of that, less jumping around like Super Mario.
index.php

Teknoman

Human, DH, Nephilim, SoS, DMD, Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell.

The first 3 are essentially the same as far as I am concerned, you basically start on Nephilim as default usually. SoS is like Hard for the game, DMD is most likely the hardest. Heaven or Hell is a joke difficulty and Hell or Hell even though you die in one hit you can opt to use Super Dante. Even then I don't think the waves are as hard as DMD mode.... although I haven't heard any news about it.

index.php

Son of Sparda has to be unlocked?

Dahbomb I want a "real talk" on DMC3's DMD. Is it..."balanced" for lack of better words? To get through even some of the earlier levels I had to make use of the explosion DT...and even then once the DT on enemies went off I had a really hard time taking the enemies out

I'm asking about this because I'm also curious on how DMD plays out in DmC. DMC4 was almost too easy. And DMC3...well what do you think?

Just came back from picking up my game and unlocked my Samurai weapons pack via SEN.

Probably won't be able to start playing until tomorrow, but I'm pretty anxious to play.

Yeah the Sessler review is about as relevant to me as the GB Brad review. Both reviewers never really gave a crap about the DMC series before. The major difference between the two was that Sessler hated the story and Brad enjoyed it.

Yes I didn't enjoy the story much but even if the story was godlike I would not have given it a much better score than what I have. Maybe 8.5 at best. Similarly if the story was one of the worst gaming stories I have ever witnessed, the game would've still gotten an 8 from me.

Quit being so level headed.

But yea, Sesslers review holds as much credibility (maybe a bit more) as Brad's. But I think they both have equal say in it though. But if people quantify Sesslers review, you have to do the same for Brad's.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb I want a "real talk" on DMC3's DMD. Is it..."balanced" for lack of better words? To get through even some of the earlier levels I had to make use of the explosion DT...and even then once the DT on enemies went off I had a really hard time taking the enemies out

I'm asking about this because I'm also curious on how DMD plays out in DmC. DMC4 was almost too easy. And DMC3...well what do you think?
DTE sort of accelerates their DT. It's better used on bosses or fewer enemies though. DTE is definitely a staple for DMD runs. I wouldn't say its godly broken but it's definitely something that is a very powerful options.

Other than that there isn't anything that is too unbalanced in DMC3 DMD. Swordmaster loses a lot of strength in DMD mode and so do quite a few of the Gunslinger moves (Artemis is really strong in DMD mode though). Royal Guard is of course the most powerful style but it's balanced by the fact that you need godlike timing if you fuck it up you lose half a bar life. The real problem with DMC3 DMD is figuring out how the DT mechanics work and when you can combo certain enemies. It's a very esoteric system and not even the hardcore of DMC fans could figure it out for the longest of time... people thought it was random when you could Stinger/Hightime enemies. The DT system is also unavoidable in a lot of situation so you need to essentially "spread" apart the damage as quickly as possible so when they DT they will have low health. Enemies have a lot of health in DT plus enemies like Enigma become a bitch.

Bosses are well balanced, they are essentially just significantly harder than their hard parts. You can use any set up you want in the game if you are skilled. Aside from the DTE, the only other mechanic that is OP in DMC3 DMD is the Tempest glitch. It's a glitch exploit, not many people know about it but it's really really powerful and it makes Swordmaster a strong style in the game again even on DMD mode. That's still no where near what the Godfist was in DMC4.

As far as DmC's DMD goes... I like what I have seen thus far from the enemies but the bosses are pushovers in DMD mode. You will die quite a lot on regular enemies but the bosses look like slightly harder versions than SoS. The final boss for example barely does any damage on DMD mode, you take more damage from some of the regular enemies than him. The DT mechanic is similar to DMC3's DT but it seems you can by pass it if you kill enemies fast enough but once they do they are harder to combo. I am very interested in seeing some skillful DMD play before I get the PC version myself. I do have this gut feeling that there is going to be a Godfist equivalent in DmC as well but since the bosses are not that much of a challenge anyway, it will really only be useful for shaving those seconds off of boss runs.

Ricker

Does Dante get the white hair near the end or something?

Saw a video of the ending on youtube and Dante had it.

Skin or?

Feel free to answer with spoilers.

Not sure but there is a pretty good troll from NT themselves early on in the game that had me laughing...

Thanks for the detailed response Dahbomb. Happy to hear that in some situations DT on enemies was unavoidable...so many times I felt like a chump trying my hardest to do damage and only to see them DT

And fuck enigma...although it made me really appreciate Nevan besides "hey it looks cool or I can air raid with this shit"

Bummer to hear about DmC DMD bosses. Really loses the epicness if they are pushovers. But it sounds like DMD is still challenging?

What's godfist? Are you talking about the rejease timing on charged moves for Gilgamesh?

Dahbomb

Yeah some of the enemy configurations look like they will provide a modicum of challenge to kill. I don't think it's TOO difficult but it's hard to tell without playing.

Nevan counter picks Enigmas, it's a must against them. I had a friend who had been stuck on DMD DMC3 for years because all he ever played was Swordmaster Rebellion + Beowulf combo. I showed him the power of Nevan, Artemis and Royal Guard... he was more enlightened than Hugh Jackman in the Fountain.

tumblr_lpj4vyuYGf1qbyfs4.gif

Top Bottom