• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz to step down, Joining Clinton campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingV

It's a logical extension of the parties being so far apart. As long as there are legions of voters that will vote in step with either party no matter the candidate, snafu, or uncomfortable association, there is no incentive to push for less corruption.

This was kinda the big issue for chunk of Bernie supporters, so moves like this are not so subtly saying that their votes are not a priority for the Clinton campaign.

For full transparency, I voted for Sanders in the primary (and Obama in 08), but I am voting for Hillary this fall. Can't say she hasn't made a colossal mess of what was supposed to be a cakewalk.

I think to kind of piggy back on your thought, we may be seeing a shift where more is getting done behind closed doors than it was historically, specifically because there is so little concern about pissing off the base. No sane Democrat is going "I hate Hillary so I'll go vote for Trump". As a result there's more power in getting things done in the backroom, because there's less worry about voter backlash.

There was a time this was done with Pork in bills, and it made it so the parties could work together. Frankly, that was preferable and was at least more transparent.

I agree.

Come on, Hillary. Don't do this. :(

You can't just throw her off a cliff (well you can...but that would look much worse than this), so having her save face like this is the only thing you can do even if her position/job is to sit in a corner and do nothing to draw attention. Clinton's campaign should of handled the press release better for sure (both wording and timing), but at least they have done the damage fast and will allow the DNC this week to heal this wound quick.

Pendas

Banned
I'm neither a Repub or a Demo but...

At this point... I'd rather Trump get elected so he can burn the whole damn system to the ground than continue dealing with this political bullshit.

This is some cold shit on Hillary and spits in the face of all the Bernie supporters she's trying to recruit.

At this point the only difference between Hillary and Trump is one calls you a moron and punches you in the face, while the other smiles and acts nice before stabbing you in the back.

Fuck this Election.

At this point... I'd rather Trump get elected so he can burn the whole damn system to the ground than continue dealing with this political bullshit.

This is some cold shit on Hillary and spits in the face of all the Bernie supporters she's trying to recruit.

At this point the only difference between Hillary and Trump is one calls you a moron and punches you in the face, while the other smiles and acts nice before stabbing you in the back.

Fuck this Election.
Except Trump isn't going to burn the system down.

pigeon

Banned

So you're not a Republican or a Democrat, just a white nationalist.

User1608

Banned

Fuck this Election.
image.php

In all seriousness, no, a seemingly false equivalence and insult to the millions and millions of minorities who will be affected by a bigot and his platform.

tbm24

Trump will do (or attempt to do) a hell of a lot more to change the status quo than Hillary.

Sure at its face, this is likely to be true. What you're not mentioning is that change comes at the explicit expense to every non-white individual in this country both directly and indirectly. I'm going to make sure that I can ensure a better future for me and my future children who may have to deal with the asterisk of brown skin next to their head for the rest of their lives.

Dante316

Fuck this Election.

Hyperbole much, watch the big short if u don't remember 2008, nothing major changes even if world might collapse. People only care about short term satisfaction.

Fuck this Election.

What do you think the world looks like after a Trump presidency?

FStubbs

Throwing the word "White" out there without knowing my Nationality.

Cute.

No, but if he is elected, things will get so bad some kind of political reform will be necessary prevent this from happening again. On both sides.

What if I told you you don't have to be white to be a white nationalist?

JP_

Banned

Is there any precedent where the system was burned down by electing a racist fascist and it fixed anything?

Fuck this Election.
It's funny often when I read this type of post on reddit I found out that the user did not live in the US.

Do you really think a Trump presidency would be anything than a terrible 4 years that would reverse human rights achievements?

Is there any precedent where the system was burned down by electing a fascist and it worked out for the better?

literally zero

in hitler's case it took 3% of the world's population (including roughly 60% of the world jewish population) dying in a war he instigated for things to start "working out for the better", and now we have nukes

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Fuck this Election.

He isnt going to burn the system down and even if he did, the ones that would be incinerated would be all the minorities and opposition to him. Thats how accelerationism ends up playing out. Much more likely he just rigged the system even more in favor of people like him.

Fuck this Election.

I really appreciate being told that a party that thinks people like me being sent to torture camps over their sexuality or gender identity potentially getting control over all three branches of government this fall is only a negligible difference.

TheFatOne

Fuck this Election.
Real easy to say this when you have no skin in the game. I can't understand if people are actually this naive or just actually this stupid.

Fuck this Election.

Trump will not burn the system to the gournd. Any "changes" he makes will not be for the better and will only go to help the wealthy. He is the status quo. He will however appoint conservative justices to the supreme court that will fuck this fuck for decades to come when it comes to voting rights, minority rights, lgbtq rights, environmental rights, etc.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Is there any precedent where the system was burned down by electing a racist fascist and it fixed anything?
Absolutely none, I can't even begin to describe the naivety behind the implication that electing Trump--->burning the system down---->progress. "I'm not a republican or democrat BUT" is being incredibly dishonest.

DigtialT

I'd rather Trump get elected so he can burn the whole damn system to the ground

Burn what system to the ground? The political system? The government system? How would he do any of this? Also, why the hell would Trump want to change the "system" that got him: 1. rich 2. president?

Pendas

Banned
Wow, I make one comment about a Trump Presidency and I get accused of being..

A White Nationalist.
Not American

You sure you guys aren't Trump Supporters?

Both candidates are garbage for two different reasons. This Election isn't about who we want, it's about whose bullshit you can put up with for the next 4 years.

ezrarh

Americans have an odd fascination with "burning the system down" because they got lucky with their only revolution 2 and half centuries ago. Drastic upheavals are almost always bad for people in the short term. American institutions, despite all its faults, are one of the most stable around the world. We can change things without some dumb revolution.

DigtialT

Both candidates are garbage for two different reasons. This Election isn't about who we want, it's about who's bullshit you can put up with for the next 4 years.

"B-b-b-both sides"

Explain yourself then, why is Clinton worse than a proven racist xenophobe?

A White Nationalist.
Not American

Both candidates are garbage for two different reasons. This Election isn't about who we want, it's about whose bullshit you can put up with for the next 4 years.

Then how about you actually explain in detail what those reasons are?

Please explain to to me how Hilary is just as bad as an openly bigoted demagogue.

A White Nationalist.
Not American

No you made a incredibly stupid comment that showed absolution no forethought or logic and you got called out for it. That tends to happen when you say to actually hope for a result that would make the lives of millions of people worse.

"Burn to the ground".... What a fucking stupid thing to say.

Vire

According to Wikileaks:

US DNC head is now Marcia Fudge who has replaced Donna Brazil for the duration of the Convention #DNCLeak

#clusterfuck

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
According to Wikileaks:

US DNC head is now Marcia Fudge who has replaced Donna Brazil for the duration of the Convention #DNCLeak

#clusterfuck

They already replaced the replacement?
Or is this a transitional head to the transitional head?

Geg

According to Wikileaks:

#clusterfuck

We knew about this earlier today, Fudge is replacing DWS's role at the convention while Brazile is DNC chair

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
This is the exact same shit that happened in 2000....

A democrat was in office for so long that people forgot how things were before Bill Clinton was elected president. Instead of focusing on what the democratic president had done in those 8 years and how well we're doing, voters focused on wether Al Gore invented the Internet or not.

We have liberals willing to vote for a guy like Trump because the DNC favored a candidate over a weaker candidate. Yes it's not ideal, but if you don't see how proportionally insignificant it is compared to what the GOP, then there is really point in arguing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
No, but if he is elected, things will get so bad some kind of political reform will be necessary prevent this from happening again. On both sides.

Yes, let's continue the slaughter of black people just because we think there might be reform at the end of it.

BanGy.nz

Banned
According to Wikileaks:

#clusterfuck

lol no.

Marcia Fudge is head of the Democratic National Convention.
Donna Brazil is interim head of the Democratic National Committee.

#VireInDisarray

They already replaced the replacement?
Or is this a transitional head to the transitional head?

Fudge is the chair of the convention not the party. This is wikileaks either:

1. Not understanding how party conventions work in the US.

2. Intentionally spreading FUD to make a chaotic situation seem worse than it is.

This is the exact same shit that happened in 2000....

A democrat was in office for so long that people forgot how things were before Bill Clinton was elected president. Instead of focusing on what the democratic president had done in those 8 years and how well we're doing, voters focused on wether Al Gore invented the Internet or not.

We have liberals willing to vote for a guy like Trump because the DNC favored a candidate over a weaker candidate. Yes it's not ideal, but if you don't see how proportionally insignificant it is compared to what the GOP, then there is really point in arguing.

The people in this thread who believe this way have been unable to back up their statements with nothing more than opinion.

They are unable to show how Trump & Hillary are exactly the same.

CrazyDude

Supreme Court has no term limit my friend. A court filled with Republican judges is going to block every progressive agenda for the next couple of decades. Voter suppression using voter ID will be reaffirmed. You can bet that abortion and gay marriage cases will return to courts. Get ready for a whole bunch of "religious freedoms."

Even if you hate Clinton, she still won't have full control of the government because the house will still be Republican. Trump on the other hand will have all three branches in control of one party. He and the party will be free to do what they want and with the supreme court in the hands of the right, it will be almost impossible to get any progressive agenda passed. So 4 years of Clinton will at least get us a safety wall with supreme court justices that will shield us from 4 years of republican administration if she were to lost the next election. After that, possibly a candidate you would like better would come up and it won't be nearly as difficult for that person.

A White Nationalist.
Not American

No, it means FAR more than that. SCOTUS decisions are paramount over this next 4 years. The US cannot afford to have 3 more Scalia's make their way to SCOTUS thanks to Trump.

And reversing any sort of environmental steps forward (however small they were) going forward. I can see Trump pulling a Canada-Harper and stepping away from any emission's agreements in the future.

Far more is at stake and those are only the major two.

megalowho

A White Nationalist.
Not American

It's bigger than the candidates themselves. I can call the Clinton statement gross while still reconciling which political platform I agree with for the direction of the country.

There will always be bullshit in politics, but there are clear differences in policy, temperament and what we stand for as a country at play. It's our job as citizens to cut through the bs, do the research, read the articles, watch the debates and then make a decision. It will not always be inspiring, it usually isn't, but that doesn't make it any less important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom