• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz to step down, Joining Clinton campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Good. She was a dislikable drag on the campaign and ultimately responsible for the complete lack of objectivity and fairness

Oh and if you say "I'm not a Bernie or bust guy" and say you refuse to vote for anyone then you are the living embodiment of Bernie it Bust.

Who cares? At this point my vote is a Anti Trump vote. I was for bernie, but I don't care what happens until November. I'm voting for her to keep his dumb hateful ass away from power.

This is like going into a video game review thread to say "Who cares about reviews I already have it pre ordered".

Well good for you but why even bother coming in?

Jenov

I feel like DWS could have saved all this for after the convention, instead of announcing it and becoming the center of attention and headlines now. It's just brewing additional drama and adding fuel to the wikileak dump.

CoKIkbjW8AEsgBR.jpg:large

Will people really care about the details though?

Source?

Did a quick look and it's not on Clinton's website and she didn't tweet anything out.

Revolver

I'd be amazed if Trump doesn't personally tweet on the matter within the hour.

It's not a matter of swaying diehard democratic voters, but for independents, third party supporters, and Bernie supporters. Her numbers just dipped last week over a different, more harmless scandal, and she just reloaded the damn gun pressed to her head.

Donald J. Trump Verified account
‏@realDonaldTrump

I always said that Debbie Wasserman Schultz was overrated. The Dems Convention is cracking up and Bernie is exhausted, no energy left!

Donald J. Trump Verified account
‏@realDonaldTrump

Today proves what I have always known, that @Reince Priebus is the tough one and the smart one, not Debbie Wasserman Shultz (@DWStweets.)

LOL at Priebus being tough and smart.

RPGCrazied

Well, I can post where I want. I don't have any post restrictions. Its my opinion and please just respect that.

Thanks.

Axiology

An honorary chair is a a position that doesn't do anything. She got window-seated.

If she's not doing anything as honorary chair anyway the better option would've been to just drop her completely. She's stepping down from the DNC to immediately start a figurehead position at the campaign she was accused of being biased towards??

legacyzero

Banned
Source?

Did a quick look and it's not on Clinton's website and she didn't tweet anything out.

Popped up in my Twitter Feed through Kyle Kulinski
https://twitter.com/KyleKulinski/status/757321248523317248

EDIT: Beaten

Who cares? At this point my vote is a Anti Trump vote. I was for bernie, but I don't care what happens until November. I'm voting for her to keep his dumb hateful ass away from power.

I'm with you. I really am. But the issue with all of this is very simple. What you just posted was the commentary all along. "Fall in line behind Queen Hillary. It's our only chance to beat Trump."

Now that all this is happening, it just isn't a good look. Bernie has been preaching this shit for months. And DWS and Hillary's tomfoolery is going to get Trump's campaign more oxygen to burn, and it'll cost her the election if the shit keeps up.

Geg

If she's not doing anything as honorary chair anyway the better option would've been to just drop her completely. She's stepping down from the DNC to immediately start a figurehead position at the campaign she was accused of being biased towards??

Apparently she was being stubborn and not wanting to step down earlier today. The honorary position is likely a concession to get her to step down peacefully without making Obama step in and remove her himself.

Jonm1010

Banned
Apparently she was being stubborn and not wanting to step down earlier today. The honorary position is likely a concession to get her to step down peacefully without making Obama step in and remove her himself.

Then make it ugly. If she wants to sacrifice her political future by engaging in a bloody battle with her party then so be it. If anything that would give Clinton and others the chance to distance themselves even further. Neutering certain attacks against her that are now going to come in an onslaught and get calcified in the public mind.

Sure, Trump and Co. could of tried to lob some attempt at "look at Hilary throwing her cronies under the bus" but it would be easy to defend against.....This? Not so much.

I find it very likely that DWS refused to go unless she was offered some nominal way to save face.

"Honorary chair" it is.
Debbie Wasserman Schultz keeping her chair and remaining a lightning rod for criticism until after the convention or November would have been preferable, I think. For Clinton to loudly announce that she is hiring the very same person who is stepping down after accusations of giving preferential treatment to the Clinton campaign is horrible optics. There is no way to sugar coat this; It simply looks bad.

That DWS's new "honorary" position has no power or duties is irrelevant. That the DNC leaks have revealed no actual corruption or primary tampering (yet) is also irrelevant. Both the content and timing of Clinton's release is going to add unnecessary fuel to the insanity brewing before the convention and I am having a hard time grasping how someone thought it was a good move.

Edit:

Exactly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So, go figure, Trump tweeted kind of the opposite that people thought he would:

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 3m3 minutes ago
Crooked Hillary Clinton was not at all loyal to the person in her rigged system that pushed her over the top, DWS. Too bad Bernie flamed out

I'm telling you the chairman thing is too inside baseball. Not even Trump, who has the best words, is going to go for it.

olympia

I bought dnc.dws "no"(that she wouldn't last through July) shares on predicitit on a bad tip about a week ago, figured it would be a wash. shares were 14c a few days ago. Looks like it worked out favorably after all

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Debbie Wasserman Schultz keeping her chair and remaining a lightning rod for criticism until after the convention or November would have been preferable, I think. For Clinton to loudly announce that she is hiring the very same person who is stepping down after accusations of giving preferential treatment to the Clinton campaign is horrible optics. There is no way to sugar coat this; It simply looks bad.

That DWS's new "honorary" position has no power or duties is irrelevant. That the DNC leaks have revealed no actual corruption or primary tampering (yet) is also irrelevant. Both the content and timing of Clinton's release is going to add unnecessary fuel to the insanity brewing before the convention and I am having a hard time grasping how someone thought it was a good move.

Edit:

Exactly.

So you want DWS to be the scapegoat for all the DNC's bad behavior from now until November?

That's solving shady behavior with shady behavior. You should apply for a DNC job.

Crisco

Banned

Can't blame her, despite her obvious failings as a DNC chair, being forced out by the left's Tea Party was wrong. They aren't even Democrats, they are anarchists who latched on to a political movement they never cared about in the first place. The fact that the changes to the platform didn't placate them proves it.

JP_

Banned

That's definitely what it seems like. Clinton statement may have been a part of that too. Messy. Should have just waited her out instead of pushing it.

Can't blame her, despite her obvious failings as a DNC chair, being forced out by the left's Tea Party was wrong. They aren't even Democrats, they are anarchists who latched on to a political movement they never cared about in the first place. The fact that the changes to the platform didn't placate them proves it.

This is silly.

edit:
That would be bad, as it would potentially risk dragging it out to tomorrow or even longer depending on how long Schultz would drag it out for and how stubborn she would be. Best to rip off the bandage now.

I said "should have" -- obviously too late now.

Y2Kev

That's definitely what it seems like. Clinton statement may have been a part of that too. Messy. Should have just waited her out instead of pushing it.

News is reporting that Clinton, Sanders, and Obama all wanted this over by the time the convention started.

Jonm1010

Banned

I'm telling you the chairman thing is too inside baseball. Not even Trump, who has the best words, is going to go for it.

I fully disagree.

This is low hanging fruit. An Easy grab that already fits an established narrative. Trump will get on it soon enough. Fox News, the RNC and right wing media certainly will and conservative social media and message boards are already blowing up over this.

Volimar

inb4 If they didn't do anything wrong why is she resigning?

Wish people would take a cue from Bernie and decide to come together and work with the party.

Feel like people are hating her for basically doing what her job description required.

This. She's been pretty good at a bad job for too long. She's no prize but she's definitely falling on the grenade this time.

Y2Kev

I fully disagree.

This is low hanging fruit. An Easy grab that already fits an established narrative. Trump will get on it soon enough. Fox News, the RNC and right wing media certainly will and conservative social media and message boards are already blowing up over this.

Trump: Clinton is not loyal to debbie

Trump: Clinton is...too loyal to debbie

It's clearly not low hanging fruit. Then again, the fruit has to hang pretty low for Trump. I think there's a pretty small window for this with the convention starting tomorrow and Bernie is speaking night 1.

(I'm kind of jaded by social media blowing up. That seems to happen a lot.)

inb4 If they didn't do anything wrong why is she resigning?

Wish people would take a cue from Bernie and decide to come together and work with the party.

This. She's been pretty good at a bad job for too long. She's no prize but she's definitely falling on the grenade this time.

No, she's been terrible at down-ticket races. Also, the DNC has worked very closely with Bernie. It's how so many of his agenda items have been adopted into the platform. People seem happy with the platform for the most part even if if doesn't go as far as some would like in some areas.

To say the DNC has not been working with Bernie is false.

Axiology

I fully disagree.

100% guarantee Trump hasn't heard about the rehiring. In an hour or less I fully expect a "YOU SEE" tweet from him.

Jonm1010

Banned
Trump: Clinton is not loyal to debbie

Trump: Clinton is...too loyal to debbie

It's clearly not low hanging fruit. Then again, the fruit has to hang pretty low for Trump.

I am saying I think it is premature to use Trump's first tweet on this matter to assume the issue will be a non-issue and the attack angle will not shift to what many expect it to(and arguably is in certain circles).

It's not like Trump is the most logically consistent attacker/speaker.

This is a such an "our Bender was the evil one all along" moment.

Given the rare opportunity to throw stones from a glass house, Trump instead roasts Hillary for not being loyal enough to DWS?

This fucking election I swear.

Edit: Trump will change his tone. Several conservative sites are already posting headlines playing up the scandal of the campaign hire.

Vire

lol, I overestimated Trumps intelligence apparently.

He might just save that angle for a more public appearance than a Twitter comment since it's pretty damning. Still, this fucking election...

Y2Kev

This is a such an "our Bender was the evil one all along" moment.

Given the rare opportunity to throw stones from a glass house, Trump instead roasts Hillary for not being loyal enough to DWS?

This fucking election I swear.

I mean Trump wants to hire Roger Ailes...

Except she was pretty bad at her job and most of the party either disliked her, or were indifferent to her, well before Bernie entered the picture. But ok we'll go with your narrative instead....

JP_

Banned
News is reporting that Clinton, Sanders, and Obama all wanted this over by the time the convention started.

Yeah ideally she would have stepped down without much hubbub but if she was going to make it difficult like this, I can only imagine it'd be better to wait it out until end of her term -- but hindsight, I guess.

In terms of trying to get the progressive wing to jump on the Clinton train (make them excited to vote for her rather than simply voting against Trump), Clinton's statement basically undoes any good that came from DWS stepping down early.

Vire

Receipts.

I need them yesterday
He didn't outright say he wanted hire him, but he DID say he was a "very very good man" which is unfathomably stupid in light of the allegations. It's like Kanye saying Cosby was innocent.

This election is the battle of incompetents. I don't understand how these people don't see these blunders from a million miles away.

Jonm1010

Banned
The Trump campaign will frame him as a martyr if they go through with it. And given Trump's statement they seem to have already began.

Will be interesting to see how Fox News handles it though.

That would be bad, as it would potentially risk dragging it out to tomorrow or even longer depending on how long Schultz would drag it out for and how stubborn she would be. Best to rip off the bandage now.

And look at the Tweet Trump posted from earlier, before that latest bit came out:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/757335224397225984
Crooked Hillary Clinton was not at all loyal to the person in her rigged system that pushed her over the top, DWS. Too bad Bernie flamed out
98af5720a6abffd3c8a67aa54705d52c.png

No matter what she did, Trump was going to attack her for it:
-She completely ditched Schultz: Clinton wasn't being loyal to a longtime ally and is a person who's willing to stab anyone in the back.
-She dos what she actually did and gives Shultz an honorary position: Also bad optics, just in a completely different way, showing support behind someone connected to this whole mess.

There simply was no good option for Clinton here. No matter what she did with Schultz, Trump and the Republicans were going to pounce on this one way or the other. Thus, that being the case, the best decision would be whatever makes this go away the fastest, which seems to have been to give Schultz an honorary, worthless position so that she steps down as chair.

Jonm1010

Banned

And look at the Tweet Trump posted from earlier, before that latest bit came out:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/757335224397225984

98af5720a6abffd3c8a67aa54705d52c.png

No matter what she did, Trump was going to attack her for it:
-She completely ditched Schultz: Clinton wasn't being loyal to a longtime ally and is a person who's willing to stab anyone in the back.
-She dos what she actually did and gives Shultz an honorary position: Also bad optics, just in a completely different way.

There was no good option for Clinton here. No matter what she did with Schultz, Trump and the Republicans were going to pounce on this one way or the other. Thus, that being the case, the best decision would be whatever makes this go away the fastest, which seems to have been to give Schultz an honorary, worthless position so that she steps down as chair.

Its so funny though to see Trump and his conservative followers try and frame themselves as defenders of Bernie. Sympathetic to and cut from the same cloth.

When in reality had Bernie won, the McCarthyism would be in full swing and his supporters would be framed as communist radicals. Which of course would be ironic given how close to the Russian oligarchy Trump is.

So you want DWS to be the scapegoat for all the DNC's bad behavior from now until November?
I want the criticisms and ire she has drawn to herself and to the DNC to remain as quarantined as possible to herself and to the DNC. Clinton's press release appears to legitimize a lot of bullshit complaints people have lobbed at the DNC. It's an unnecessary own goal.

That's solving shady behavior with shady behavior. You should apply for a DNC job.

2gFCjGC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom