• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Game Pass will release on PlayStation and if yes, when?

Will Game Pass come to Sony's platform?

• Total voters
After the recent announcement of Indy for the PlayStation 5 everyone knows it's just a matter of time for all future Microsoft titles to release on every current system sooner or later (of course not on Nintendo).

But Microsoft is still hesitant to release the GP on its former competitor's system. Do you reckon that we will see the Game Pass on the Sony system in the near future? Maybe with a special tier which will only let you stream the games on the system first and after that with a full-fledged tier which will let you install the former Xbox exclusives and new games after they've been successfully ported to PlayStation systems.

It would make sense for them from a revenue perspective. Their console sales are already plummeting and with more and more Microsoft published games coming to all platforms this seems like the next logical move.

Last edited:

Maddoxswe

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

feynoob

Banned
Gamepass only exist to sell the console hardware. If MS ditches their hardware system, then there is no reason to have game pass.

Killjoy-NL

No. Sony wouldn’t allow it and Microsoft wouldn’t even want it (as long as they continue selling consoles).
This.

Besides, MS would have to make it 1st party only unless they want to bleed crazy money keeping non-Xbox titles on GP.
But that would also greatly take away from GamePass' appeal.

Last edited:

Yamisan

Why would a console thats still alive and doing great want to take on the service from a failed and dead platform like Xbox?

Tommi84

There is no reason to disallow it if it's MS first party games only.
There's only a finite amount of time people have to play videogames. If people will play ms first oarty games, they will not play multiplats or first oarty games from Sony.

This is business not some 'no reason to do it'

SHA

I think it keeps on getting worse without cod, I'd rather buy games individually cause the service no longer tells what's going on in the industry at the moment, it used to be that but it's no longer the case.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
There is no reason to disallow it if it's MS first party games only.
Even if it’s “only” (40 studios at this point?) first party MS titles Sony would still lose out on the 30% cut for each title sold.

And from the looks of it all of MS first party titles seem to be coming over sooner or later, so there’s definitely zero incentive for them to allow GamePass as things stand.

Last edited:

Three

Even if it’s “only” (40 studios at this point?) first party MS titles Sony would still lose out on the 30% cut for each title sold.

And from the looks of it all of MS first party titles seem to be coming over sooner or later, so there’s definitely zero incentive for them to allow GamePass as things stand.
Yes but they can get 30% on the sub like they likely already do on EA Play.

GHG

Gold Member
They will ultimately want it on both Sony and Nintendo systems, but both will say no.

Microsoft will then go to regulators and complain about "walled gardens" on consoles to try and get their way.

That's how I see all of this unfolding.

SNG32

No I don’t see Gamepass on Sony consoles. Microsoft will just continue to put their first party games on PlayStation to get their games purchased. Even though Sony wouldn’t allow it atleast they can get some digital sales on the console.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
No. Imagine Costco letting Walmart open up a pop up store in their own store. Does that make sense to you?

baphomet

MS want it on there, but Sony don't.

So it'll never happen (unless forced by the European courts somewhere in the far future.)

Saber

No. Both Sony and Nintendo already have their subscription systems, they will not allow one from a competitor to mess with their own.

Phil has already said that he wants it, but the full experience, as in full library + Xbox Live integration and so on.

Sony would block it, unless it's a special tier specifically made for PS users, featuring games only from their first party studios.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The more likely scenario is that Microsoft cuts a deal to just have their games on PS+

Quezacolt

Will never happens, unless enforced by the courts. Also, why would sony and Nintendo want GP on their systems? It's one of the reasons why the xbox brand is in the state it is. Only MS fanboys think that GP is actually good for the gaming industry, hell, not even that, they only think about their own pockets, choosing to ignore how this hurts the industry and how it's been hurting MS itself.

violence

(sarcasm) Yes. I’m sure game pass will also have the Sony exclusives so it will outcompete PSN plus… (/sarcasm)

No.

Last edited:

jm89

Even if MS neuter the shit out of gamepass to make it acceptable to sony i can't see it happening.

The reason being gamepass is a competitor to sonys console buisness, if they allow it to grow and let's say it does take off then they are smiting themselves.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

IMO According to MS, yes.
We already would have Gamepass in some kind of form on Playstation, if Sony would allow it.

TBH I am still suprised, that we have not seen Gamepass on a Switch so far.
Maybe we will see it on Switch U

Quezacolt

Again, no way in hell will Nintendo allow that, when MS is open to just porting games to other systems nowadays. Nintendo would get a bigger cut from MS games being sold at full price than from GP. It just doesn't make any business sense for either Nintendo or Sony to accept GP.
both of them have healthy market share, with systems selling extremely well, why would they accept something from a failing competitor, one wich it's own service can't save their systems from behing so far behind the others?

laynelane

Not a chance. The drawbacks of the Game Pass model are well-known at this point. There's no reason for any healthy platform to expose themselves to the risks it represents. Even without that, taking a percentage from each copy of a game sold far outweighs a percentage from each sub sold. So, there's no financial incentive to do it either.

Last edited:

Skifi28

A gamepass-light version that includes only first party games (once they release more) sounds very plausible. Ubisoft and EA already have such a service on PS so I don't see any issues.

Last edited:

tommib

IMO According to MS, yes.
We already would have Gamepass in some kind of form on Playstation, if Sony would allow it.

What games would this Switch Gamepass be running? Streaming?

foamdino

No Sony have PS+ and have seen how putting games on there (Horizon Forbidden West) absolutely cannablises sales - they don't want to kill themselves.

GamePass has always been about MS trying to reset what consoles are about since they cannot compete in the same space as Sony and Nintendo. It's a race-to-the-bottom lose-everything proposition:
  • Condition customers to "wait for gamepass" instead of buying games
  • Condition devs to accept whatever gamepass offers instead of getting sales
  • Condition designers to build games that take up time (battlepasses, daily quests etc)
It's all just the absolute dregs of the worst "business" practices of mobile games and MS has been pushing this to destroy the traditional market. The FTC trial revealed *so much dirt* on the strategy side of things.

"Spend Sony out of existence", indeed.

Aion002

Gold Member
I don't think it makes sense for both MS and Sony.

MS is starting to sell their games on PS5, because game pass and Xbox aren't profitable enough, while Sony rather sell games on PS Store than rent them (they get a cut for each sale), so I doubt they would allow games being available to be rented in a third party subscription service.

Last edited:

rm082e

More Xbots desperately grasping at straws hoping they can secure a future for the brand.

Sony has no reason to forefit revenue to Xbox by allowing Game Pass on PlayStation. And if Xbox tried to pay Sony for the privilege to make up the difference, they'd be even further in the red, which wouldn't make it worth the effort.

Game Pass has been a math equation that produces a negative number. If you thought it was a great value, that's because you were getting the content at a price that was below the threshold of sustainability. Xbox reworking the tiers and raising prices is proof of that. I also seriously doubt the current pricing structure is profitable when all variables are included in the equation, so I'm expecting more price increases.

Because it's not profitable, and it's not growing their user base, and it's hurting their ecosystem by encouraging subscribers not to buy games, Game Pass has to go away eventually. The first question is how much damage does it do to Xbox before they rip the bandaid off and get rid of it? The second question is can Xbox as a brand get back to growth once it's gone?

RaZoR No1

Again, no way in hell will Nintendo allow that, when MS is open to just porting games to other systems nowadays. Nintendo would get a bigger cut from MS games being sold at full price than from GP. It just doesn't make any business sense for either Nintendo or Sony to accept GP.
both of them have healthy market share, with systems selling extremely well, why would they accept something from a failing competitor, one wich it's own service can't save their systems from behing so far behind the others?
I never said that it makes sense for Nintendo or Sony.
MS wants to be on every screen and their wish is to have Gamepass everywhere on anything.

What games would this Switch Gamepass be running? Streaming?
Mostly streaming via xCloud.
I could imagine that they could agree, that any games that are on Nintendo and Gamepass can be played natively on the system.

Again, Sony and Nintendo wouldn't profit from that, only MS would profit Gamepass wise but at the same time devalue Xbox consoles even further...

Top Bottom